If G3, do you think the Toa Mata should be the heroes.

So there has been speculation of a new version of Bionicle (note sure if it's true or not, and I'm not very convinced yet, although I still hope). Anyway, this got me thinking about some ideas for a theoretical third generation of Bionicle and I came to the thought of what could be the possible heroes; I mean we assume that the Toa Mata will be the heroes, but do you guys think that it is important for Bionicle for that to be the case?

Personally I think the Toa Mata should be present - kinda like Optimus Prime and Megatron for Transformers. However I would be interested in seeing the Toa Mata in a different role, either as the mentor's or as legendary predecessors to a new Toa team - someone like the Toa Inika, the Voya Nui Resistance or the Chronicler's Company.

But that's just my thoughts, what do you guys think the role of the Toa Mata should be in a potential reboot; protagonists? Mentors? Antagonists? Not present? Something I didn't think of entirely?

• Upvote 1

I think it makes sense for a potential reboot to stick to what few familiar heroes people may already know from BIONICLE: Tahu, Kopaka, Gali, etc. As we saw in the 2015 reboot, pretty much anything beyond the core six and Makuta got scrapped. I would love it if the next reboot brought back the Inika though, I thought their personalities were more interesting than the Toa Nuva's.

Edited by Disciple

Well, I would go with the Toa Mata being the main protagonists because they are the first heroes to appear before anyone else. I would love that G3 would show all other significant heroes from both G1 and G2 later on for every fan’s nostalgic convenience. It goes like this: the Toa Mata would meet the Turaga of Mata Nui, who would mentor them like their days of being the Toa Metru, then they meet Takanuva. They would meet the Toa Inika/Toa Mahri, and then the Great Spirit Mata Nui, the Glatorian and probably encounter the island of Okoto in Aqua Magna where they meet Ekimu and his friends. G2 just strangely throw a lot of new characters that we don’t know, but it’s best to be with people that we are familiar with. Transformers always has Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and some Autobots are always protagonists.

I would love to see the Toa Mata as Matoran who would be mentored by the Toa Metru, whether in G1’s way or they would be just students in a Toa school. Lol. But, these are some interesting ideas that I would love to see G3 use while G3 should follow G1’s path (But don’t get too complicated with serials, insignificant characters in there, and alternate dimensions. Lol.).

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Depends on the direction they take. If they go for a more Metru Nui-esque setting, for instance, it makes more sense to base it on the '04-'05 era and feature the Toa Metru. In a more Mata Nui/Okoto-like setting, the OGs might work better. With a totally new direction, original characters might make more sense.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Depends on the direction they take. If they go for a more Metru Nui-esque setting, for instance, it makes more sense to base it on the '04-'05 era and feature the Toa Metru. In a more Mata Nui/Okoto-like setting, the OGs might work better. With a totally new direction, original characters might make more sense.

Original characters would be the best idea. Reusing old characters over and over can get old.

RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

In my opinion, G2 showed a poor return of Bionicle and Toa (there were only 9+6 new names for new characters!). So, I think the G3 (if it is) needs to make a new toa team. In "Yesterday Quest", for example, Greg tried to make new Toa for future serials, and I wonder what would come of it

Tahu_Stars from balljoints.ru

Tahu_Stars01Rus from TTV

I think it depends whether the next Bionicle (if there's going to be one) is a continuation or a reboot. If it's the first, the Mata would be good to have as main characters again or mentors to new characters. If it's the second, I'd prefer new Toa as G2 already reused the Mata and being introduced to them a third time might be getting a bit old.

What about *gasp*... no toa at all? That’s right, the story wouldn’t center around the toa, they’d play an important part of the story, but instead I’d prefer we got something new in terms of character perspectives.

Glatorian can help, perhaps?

What about *gasp*... no toa at all? That’s right, the story wouldn’t center around the toa, they’d play an important part of the story, but instead I’d prefer we got something new in terms of character perspectives.

Glatorian can help, perhaps?

I assume the intention was the Matoran.

:smilematoro:

Toa have always been Bionicle's main characters and products, you can't really have Bionicle without them or something similar.

It'd be like a Castle theme without knights.

• Upvote 1

For me, a successful G3 would probably be a continuation of the G1 Bionicle storyline from 2010, as one thing G2 failed to do was to attract both older and newer fans since the reboot was pretty dull story-wise, so there was no foundation storyline for newer fans to endulge themselves in and older fans still loved G1 more. 

It would need to feature a new Toa team with different characters that are still as memorable and unique as the Toa Mata, without copying them. There also needs to be a new villain, or possibly even better an older villain who did not play as huge a role in G1 as Teridax did, so for example, The Shadowed One or Karzahni.

But most certainly the Toa Mata should not make another return. We saw them as the main 'good guys' in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010 (At least Tahu), 2015 and 2016. Time for a refreshing new team.

Edited by Tarix819

For me, a successful G3 would probably be a continuation of the G1 Bionicle storyline from 2010, as one thing G2 failed to do was to attract both older and newer fans since the reboot was pretty dull story-wise, so there was no foundation storyline for newer fans to endulge themselves in and older fans still loved G1 more.

It would need to feature a new Toa team with different characters that are still as memorable and unique as the Toa Mata, without copying them. There also needs to be a new villain, or possibly even better an older villain who did not play as huge a role in G1 as Teridax did, so for example, The Shadowed One or Karzahni.

But most certainly the Toa Mata should not make another return. We saw them as the main 'good guys' in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010 (At least Tahu), 2015 and 2016. Time for a refreshing new team.

If you think so when it comes to new Toa, I would like to see a team consisting of a Toa of Lightning, Magnetism, the Green, Plasma, Gravity, and Sonics. I would like to think that Onua had sent these guys to go find Pohatu, Kopaka, Lewa, Helryx’s group in a Great Being Fortress, and Gelu’s Toa team. Everyone needs help. Plus, I would like these guys fight against the Shadowed One and his minions as well as Velika and his goons.:)

• 2 months later...

:kaukau: I would want a fresh continuity, but with essentially the same pitch.  The main different would be that the original story could branch off completely after 2001.

One of the defining things for me about Bionicle is the characters.  Bionicle is not like Power Rangers where the pitch isn't necessarily the characters so much as its unique formula, or Jurassic Park where the franchise is pitched around a what if question.  It's more like Friends.  Bionicle's characters are central to make it what it is.  Even when they made new Toa sets in G1, they were still characters who were around since the beginning.  The Toa Metru, the Toa Ignika; they were all named characters with memorable personalities already in 2001.

This opinion runs counter to what I've seen other people demand, and evidently what sales have demanded, but I also think that they would best be served to stick with the same team throughout the entire run of the series.  The main reason that the team was swapped out as the main focus was because of the need for new sets, but the solution for that would be to include something inherent in the story that insured that the Toa went through regular physical transformations.  It isn't hard to write in; there were already elements of Bionicle mysticism that allowed characters to fuse together into Kaita.  It's in keeping with the mysticism found in the series.  In any case, I just think that from a storytelling perspective, the deepest and most profound story would be told by starting with a classic cast of characters, and sticking with those characters throughout the whole run.  Nobody said that Harry Potter needed to change its main character in order to not become stale.  The story merely grew, and took its main character along with it in that growth.  Write the Toa not as static characters, but as individuals capable of personal growth and evolution from year to year over the course of the entire series run.  

• Like 1

Eh, I'm ambivalent on who the heroes should be. Truth-be-told, I know that if the Mata names were kept (a la G2) it would be for marketing reasons rather than story-based ones. I prefer new names myself, but I'm not beholden to them. We already have the story of the Mata. There's no need (IMO) to do it over again. Getting back to that feeling of discovering Mata Nui bit-by-bit, diving into encyclopedias (online or in print) and web pages just to find out more information, and wanting to know what lied just outside the artwork on the canisters, doesn't require particular characters, IMO.

My preferred Toa team is the Metru anyway, and even though I knew of the Nuva first, I didn't have a hard time getting to know Metru Nui through the Metru's eyes. It was way more engrossing to be in the mindset of characters for whom this city wasn't fantastic, but merely everyday, instead of characters who were seeing it for the first time.

Even when they made new Toa sets in G1, they were still characters who were around since the beginning.  The Toa Metru, the Toa Ignika; they were all named characters with memorable personalities already in 2001.

Is that so important though? Do we need to recognise the characters from years ago to like them?

The main reason that the team was swapped out as the main focus was because of the need for new sets, but the solution for that would be to include something inherent in the story that insured that the Toa went through regular physical transformations.  It isn't hard to write in; there were already elements of Bionicle mysticism that allowed characters to fuse together into Kaita. 

The Kaita fusions were only temporary, and they were kinda dropped from the story after the early years.

They did come up with a transformation device in Hero Factory to let them keep using the same characters, but that relied on a technical solution rather than a mystical one.

I just think that from a storytelling perspective, the deepest and most profound story would be told by starting with a classic cast of characters, and sticking with those characters throughout the whole run. 

Not a bad idea at all, but what if the story wants to visit a different place or point in time, as Bionicle did with the Bara Magna and Metru Nui stories?

I agree with the Castle without knights comparison. There are certain things you expect when you consume something labelled "BIONICLE": six elemental heroes, a quest for a MacGuffin/MacGuffins, blended tropical/technological aesthetic, etc. If you're going to make something without Toa, why call it BIONICLE at that point? Christian Faber had the right idea with that making Rebel Nature. If you want to make something totally different, with the same themes behind it, just make something else. Honestly, that is the real reason I don't think BIONICLE Generation 3 would be that good. We don't really want those names and tropes, we want something with the same themes. I would much rather Bob Thompson write a totally new concept, Greg Farshtey write a story around it, and Ghost/Templar/Miramax animate it even if it's not called BIONICLE. That combination would probably be awesome.

Fun fact: the animation company behind the Miramax trilogy, CGCG, also animated Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and that show in a lot of ways is more similar to those movies than anything from G2.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!