am i the only who don't hate the legend reborn?

I don’t hate The Legend Reborn. It’s a good story about a king learning on how to become a warrior and has to be more compassionate on people that he cares about.

Anyway, if I were to choose a movie to be my favorite, it would be the Mask of Light, to be honest. The Legend Reborn is in third place, second being Legends of Metru Nui.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I don’t hate The Legend Reborn. It’s a good story about a king learning on how to become a warrior and has to be more compassionate on people that he cares about.

Anyway, if I were to choose a movie to be my favorite, it would be the Mask of Light, to be honest. The Legend Reborn is in third place, second being Legends of Metru Nui.

I never watched it, so I don't know.

RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

I revisited it fairly recently, and I and the community might have been a bit hard on it before. It's not awful. But that being said, I still prefer the original three hands down.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I only watched it once, and honestly don’t remember much about it, other than Kiina being overly excited (“woo hoos” and so forth). I was somewhat disillusioned with the franchise at that point thanks to the announcement of its cancellation.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

I think the films get better as they go on to be honest. Web of Shadows is actually brilliant and The Legend Reborn is much nicer to look at than the odd designs in Mask of Light. Also, The Legend Reborn felt as though it was working with the rest of the franchise, whereas Mask of Light in particular felt like it was set in a different universe entirely.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo2J14RKmVtcnoJTv7g6PA , Bionicle films coming soon!

It's easily the worst of the 4 films, but not really THAT atrocious. There was just a lot of wasted potential with Mata Nui's "fallen god" arc; he didn't feel disgraced or ashamed enough to really be convincing.

I think the films get better as they go on to be honest. Web of Shadows is actually brilliant and The Legend Reborn is much nicer to look at than the odd designs in Mask of Light. Also, The Legend Reborn felt as though it was working with the rest of the franchise, whereas Mask of Light in particular felt like it was set in a different universe entirely.

I mean, it kinda was.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Web of Shadows and Legends of Metru Nui are my favorites. It's hard for me to choose which of the two is the better one.

RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

I didn't hate it. I'll admit that I didn't think very highly of it, but... I also think a lot of it is perspective.

Let's see if I can explain. The first three movies came around when Bionicle was still, to me (and to a lot of us, I guess) this HOT NEW THING and seeing the characters I was learning to love turned to a more 'living' appearance than the sets allowed, and actually given voices and life and a whole three-dimensional world quite literally blew me away. It didn't have to work hard to impress me: I wanted to be impressed. TLR, in contrast, came around when I was (and possibly others were) getting tired of the franchise; Bara Magna hadn't hooked me, my interests were wandering, the true-to-the-sets style did very little for me, and I was more watching it 'because I ought to keep up with the story' than because I genuinely wanted to like it... so it would have had to be really spectacular, by that point, to have delivered the same emotional punch to me that the earlier movies did so easily just six years before.

And it didn't manage to be that spectacular. It was by no means awful; but by that point, I feel, we as a fandom were much harder to impress.

I think a lot of more recent comers to the fandom do indeed like TLR better, like you do, because they don't have these huge rose-tinted lenses that a lot of us old-timers still have concerning the old movies; they were able to judge them all on equal footing. But for me... even though I can look at Mask of Light and quite easily see its many awkwardnesses and flaws... I still have an engrained fondness, still can't help but love it in spite of those? And I just don't have that same emotional attachment to TLR, so I'm more inclined to judge it harshly compared to that old nostalgia, than to fairly measure its strengths and weaknesses compared to its fellows?

I don't know if that explanation can speak for anyone else... but that's my feeling on it, in any case :shrugs:

Edited by Darth Jaller

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

To be honest; TLR could use some more fighting scenes and show more characters. I mean, I would like to see Mata Nui fight Malum, who has a Vorox that has a broken stinger thanks to Mata Nui, and I would like to see Gelu having ice powers. I would have wanted at least that.

I do like how the movie has characters looking more like the sets than the other three movies did, and I like the some of the characters have mouth guards. People just would have needed to work on some things. The Thornax Launchers should have used held by more characters (and give them more of their weapons from their sets), the turning-hole thing is weird, the Skopio looks like Telluris riding his vehicle for some reason, and the Bone Hunters look like Atakus.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I’ll admit that I like it better these days than I did in 2009. The voice acting is good, the main characters are written decently, and for some reason, the childish comedy doesn’t bother me that much. But I still think it’s a bad product, for a number of reasons.

For one thing, the camera work and editing are lazy, particularly in the fight scenes. Notice how long the camera holds on Mata Nui as the Vorox tries to stab him with its tail. Or how stale the Tuma fight looks. Every action scene in the Hero Factory show is the same, so I think director Mark Baldo is at fault here (sorry Mark, you seem like a nice guy).

The sound design is similarly lazy. Remember all the glorious sounds from the original trilogy? Like Turahk firing its staff, or Nidhiki and Krekka entering flight mode? Compare that to Ackar kicking Strakk, or the Agori crowds in Tesara, or the infamous Rock Steeds, and you’ll see (hear) what I’m talking about. TLR has better voice acting, but the original movies had a far better grasp of sound design (not to mention better music), so they’re ultimately much easier on the ears.

The animation is said to be the movie’s strong suit. But honestly, I don’t see it. Sure, the characters have nice textures, but everything else looks cheap. The sand doesn’t move when the Thornatus rolls through the desert. A lot of the backgrounds are obviously 2D. The ground in most scenes is unrealistically flat. Berix’s shadow in the hot springs looks ridiculous. All Agori look the same. And finally, the character design. I know a lot of people like set accuracy, and I’ll admit that the original trilogy strayed a bit too far from the toys sometimes, but it just doesn’t make any sense. The sets aren’t what the characters really look like; they are representations of the characters, altered slightly to accommodate the Lego system. The original trilogy showcased the actual biomechanical characters of Bionicle. TLR showcases the toys.

Furthermore, the inconsistencies with established Bionicle canon are just embarrassing. The lush forests on the Mata Nui island in the opening, Mata Nui claiming that he has never needed help from anyone, Metus claiming that Bara Magna has ”looked like this as long as anyone can remember”, Raanu stating that a Glatorian must be banished after a single defeat, the notion that Skrall and Bone Hunters working together is completely unprecedented, the Thornax being orbs of energy rather than fruit, Gresh’s completely different personality, the aforementioned nonsensical character design… the list goes on. The original trilogy had mistakes as well, but you could tell that the creators were invested in the lore. Baldo, Derek and company simply didn’t try hard enough to properly represent Bionicle.

Lastly, the film fails as a self-contained story. For one thing, the world of Bara Magna is barely explored, so none of the character motivations have any weight to them We don’t know why Kiina so desperately wants to leave, why the Skrall want power, why it’s such a big deal for Skrall and Bone Hunters to team up, why the Glatorian system was established, or why Metus betrayed the villages. Concepts like the Great Beings, the cavern with the elements, the latent elemental powers of the Glatorian, and the prototype robot are dropped on the viewer and then never explained further. Some character arcs work, like Kiina’s and Berix’s, but others fall flat, like Mata Nui becoming a pro fighter in a few days, or Gresh being completely pointless. And the final battle is enormously disappointing. I could go on about more flaws in the narrative, but I think you get the idea.

Sorry about the rant! I was just really happy to see TLR discussed again, and to have an opportunity to vent my frustrations with it. I think that, while it might have had a higher budget than its predecessors, its incompetence in the above areas makes it feel a lot cheaper. The original movies weren’t always good, far from it, but at least the creators’ competence, creativity and passion consistently shone through (except maybe in WoS, at which point they seemed to be getting bored). The same cannot be said for TLR. At least not in my opinion! :)

• Upvote 2
sig2.png