Mutran's Discovery

Master Inika

Makuta Mutran took a deep sigh as the stone doorway to Teridax’s throne room rolled away, revealing his leader sitting on what was once Miserix’s throne. On one side there was a Visorak, and on the other a Rahkshi.

“Approach, Mutran,” Teridax said in his rumbling voice. Teridax had in his hand the Kanohi Mask once worn by poor Makuta Kalora, who had made the fatal mistake of beginning a sentence with the phrase “Well, Miserix would…”

Mutran walked toward the spiked throne and bowed. “Thank you, Makuta. May I request the privilege of confidentiality?”

“Done,” Teridax replied, and within an instant had turned his head and destroyed the Rahkshi with a beam of heat vision. The Visorak tried to scuttle away, but a concentrated blast of plasma from his hand stopped it.

Mutran gulped. “It concerns the… revelation from Tren Krom, which I had relayed to you earlier.”

Teridax’s body shifted as his gaze narrowed on Mutran. “What of it? You told me that my aspiration--to usurp the Great Spirit Mata Nui--was a possibility… and I believed you. I need not remind you that the plans I have put into motion cannot be undone… without unfortunate consequences for you, that is.”

“No, I told you everything relevant to that plan!” Mutran insisted. “It’s something else. Something deeper.”

Teridax visible relaxed. “Go on.”

Mutran continued: “When I learned the nature of our universe from Tren Krom, I did not just learn about how it worked, where its light and gravity came from, things like that. I learned the very basics of what this universe we inhabit truly is, on a foundational level.”

“Mutran, you haven’t the voice for such eloquent words. Speak plainly,” Teridax ordered.

Mutran could not word it any more simply than: “Our… Our world is just a fictional universe invented to sell plastic toys!”

That was not the explanation Teridax was expecting. “Our entire universe is fictional? Like a Turaga’s legend?”

“Yes!” Mutran cried. “There are books, comics, online animations, and surprisingly good direct-to-DVD movies! Fans of our entire universe join websites where they talk about it, trade parts online, and even write terrible fanfiction!”

“Slow down!” Teridax demanded. “You’re telling me that everything we’ve ever done has been in the service of selling toys to children? And that they simply make up stories that would be ‘cool’ if they really happened in our world?”

“That’s not even the strangest of it…” Mutran said, trembling. “If I’m understanding what Tren Krom imparted to me properly… we’re in a piece of fanfiction right now!

Now Teridax was worried as well. “Is the story at least any good?”

“No, it’s absolutely mediocre! It’s just two characters talking, no action or anything. It’s supposed to be a comedy, but it’s really just one long joke dragged out until it’s not even a little bit funny anymore.”

Teridax looked anxiously at the roof, the walls, Mutran, and even himself. “So… what do we do? Maybe… we can tell the Toa, or the Shadowed One. There’s got to be some way to escape this prison into the truly real world!”

“There is none,” Mutran said.

“Maybe it’s for the best,” Teridax admitted. “Mutran, promise me you won’t tell anyone else. I may be a cruel embodiment of evil, but this knowledge is a torture even I do not wish on anyone else.”

“I promise,” Mutran vowed.

Teridax began to slowly accept the reality. “All this exists only in the minds of young boys,” he said. “And, once they stop buying those toys, and reading the comics and books about those toys, what becomes of us? Do we vanish from existence? Can we, if we don’t even truly exist?”

“It’s not all bad,” Mutran said. “Maybe, somehow, the fans will keep remembering those toys and stories, and in their minds at least, we’ll be immortal.”

Teridax took a deep breath. “That’s one way of looking at it. Maybe the only way, if one seeks to stay sane in the face of such truth.”

And if he is compelled to look straight at the light, will he not have a pain in his eyes which will make him turn away to take and take in the objects of vision which he can see, and which he will conceive to be in reality clearer than the things which are now being shown to him? (Plato’s Allegory of the Cave)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Haha.

Got me. 

For a second, I was expecting something serious.

But then I realized: This is Master Inika.

Of course it's a comedy. :P

Brilliantly done, though. I laughed all the way from Mutran's revelation to the end. Nicely done, as always.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~