Jump to content
Black Six

The Forums are Back! Now What's Broken?

Recommended Posts

After a way-too-long delay, the forums are back online with a nice new look. But there are sure to be things that are missing and maybe some that are broken. Please share your findings here so we can do our best to address them.

Known changes:

  • Log-in Names are gone, you now log in with your Display Name
  • Friends are gone and replaced by followers

Fixed (hopefully):

  • Posting permissions have been restored
  • Display name history should now be visible
  • You should now be able to add a cover photo on your profile
  • Premier member image
  • Square avatars are back
  • BioniLUG image
  • BZPower logo in the header
  • Active user list
  • Position of social media links/overlap with header image
  • Menu/sidebar item duplication
  • 'Night Mode' theme has been added
  • Update links on BZPower.info (let us know if we missed any)
  • Spinnies

Want to fix (no guarantees):

  • Blog names
  • Staff/OBZPC masks
  • Members list
  • Staff page on BZPower.info

Need to research further:

  • Blog appearance
  • Location of rank icon
  • Quizzes
  • Raffles
  • Countdowns
  • Look into video embedding overriding linking
  • Proto Bars

Likely gone:

  • Tracker
  • Referrals
  • Forms
  • Blog content blocks
  • Plain text editor

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just what I've found in 10 or so minutes of exploring but:

  • It seems older messages from profile feeds are gone? It looks like they are replaced by general content feeds? NEVERMIND: Can still be found by going to "see activity" and selecting "status updates"
  • It looks like the friends list has been replaced with a followers list?
  • If the tracker isn't coming back, the header at the top of this subforum needs to be edited.
Edited by Valendale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be mistaken, but I'd the file size limit for attachments and such still the correct amount for premier members? It seems incrediblely tiny. I'm probably just forgetting how small it was to begin with lol. 

  • Upvote 2

My Bzprpg Profiles, Marvel Rebirth Profiles

Skyra | Savina | Darien | Hakari | Mekana | Oceanna | Taleen | Mimira | Denerium | Talinka | Arisaka | Wraith | Xxeth | Silene

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snelly said:

I might be mistaken, but I'd the file size limit for attachments and such still the correct amount for premier members? It seems incrediblely tiny. I'm probably just forgetting how small it was to begin with lol. 

That hasn't changed - it's probably more a function of changing times expectations of file sizes. We can certainly re-look at it at some point.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's some duplication going on with the pop up sidebar - I think it's due to the way subcategories at the top of the normal browser page have a duplicat e within them (First picture)
image.png.6a4605378f404222ccf1b898449532e0.png

So that whenever that top bar gets replaced with a sidebar on a small screen width display, it converts the large "Support" tab as well as the smaller "Support" tab under it. This looks fine with the top navigation menu but with the sidebar is looks weird.

image.png.9786c2aac2846d80f53bc4638a39baf5.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is more of a subjective thing, but multiple people have remarked that the new site is very bright white and not very easy on the eyes. Is there any possibility of a "dark mode" being added? 

  • Upvote 1

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the latest update, there's a new item in the "create content" dropdown menu that is either broken or serves no purpose

image.png.cd98260c60c19ed165c104a50cbdc46d.png

This button opens this dialog box.

image.png.c1c3bab49c22f7ce36b310d2c47b8444.png

 

2 hours ago, Ghosthands said:

This is more of a subjective thing, but multiple people have remarked that the new site is very bright white and not very easy on the eyes. Is there any possibility of a "dark mode" being added? 

I've been looking into this on my own time, and it looks like there might be a feasible solution to this (At least, outside of any easier method there might be in the actual forum's software) because it looks like a decent amount (if not all) of the color problems is due to the CSS (In particular, the '(insertrandomstringhere)_framework.css' held a lot of the important ones IIRC) and if there was some javascript that changed the relevant hex colors in that .css file we could get pretty close to a dark theme even if the forums software doesn't have it supported.

I'll need to do more testing myself to see how much I can change just by editing .css on a local copy when I have time for that over the weekend, but it might be that simple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uhhhh unless I'm mistaken, it looks like everyone who has ever been banned has been unbanned? That can't be good...

Other not so serious things of note:

- Signing in now requires your current username, rather then your first/original one. I used to have to type in 'taladar of fire' to login, but now 'Akaku: Master of Flight' is what signs me in. A lot of members who just used auto-complete information may be confused to find it not letting them in if they ever had a name change.

- Reply box is a little buggy, trying to scroll through what I'm typing using arrow keys doesn't always want to work

- Proto bars?

- No 'Members' directory that I can find, where you could scroll through and search for profiles, such as to find old friends you're looking to add to your followers list (upon further inspection, this is possible through the advanced search settings)

 

Should I edit this post, or make additional ones if I find more bugs n such?

--Akaku: Master of Flight

 

 


2017banner1.png2017banner2.png2017banner3.png


The Guardians of Gevra Nui | The Legends of Taladi Nui | Reborn

Other Works: Terrible Comics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Akaku: Master of Flight said:

Uhhhh unless I'm mistaken, it looks like everyone who has ever been banned has been unbanned? That can't be good...

This is just a change to how things are displayed. They're still banned.

17 hours ago, Akaku: Master of Flight said:

Should I edit this post, or make additional ones if I find more bugs n such?

You can edit the post.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just realized that when I’m not logged in I cannot see, at the bottom of any post, the signature of the member who posted it. That is different from the old version... and although we probably don’t get many guests on BZP nowadays, I still think it could be worth looking into. In my opinion, the default should be that everyone can see sigs, regardless of whether they’re logged in.


632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the biggest complaint is all my 15 friends are gone and the Friend function is replaced with Followers! i can't even remember half ov the folks i friended before this stupid update! please help! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheZOMBIEJ said:

the biggest complaint is all my 15 friends are gone and the Friend function is replaced with Followers! i can't even remember half ov the folks i friended before this stupid update! please help! 

Unfortunately there's no way to bring this back. It was a change Invision made that we had no choice in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously not top priority, but blog entries still have the light mode last line fadeout on night mode, which stands out a lot and can make those hard to read?


All are not the same


But three shall be as one


Freedom in the flame


The end has just begun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Xaeraz said:

Obviously not top priority, but blog entries still have the light mode last line fadeout on night mode, which stands out a lot and can make those hard to read?

Avatars in night mode are also still circular, perhaps they could be changed to squares in night mode as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any update on the return of proto/spinnies/post count? Or any of the flair that was displayed for that matter.  
 

Also, I think a user above mentioned that it might be difficult for some with mis-matching (old) usernames and display names logging in. It took me to finding this post to realize I had to change my saved login info. 

Edited by Axonn's Fury

BZPChat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've just noticed that my post count has dropped considerably. I'd recently reached the Mask of Light Unveiled rank, with a few thousand posts; and I just glanced at my rank again now and saw I'd fallen all the way back down to a little over 300 posts. I don't know if that's related to the upgrade, because it had been fine up until... today, I guess? But I thought maybe I should mention it here, just in case.

(Just want to say too, though: thanks for all the work you've done getting these forums operational. It's really appreciated! :D)


LhikanLow.gif

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

---

Corpus Rahkshi bio: Blizzard / Skyrise bios: Tarutu, Kastir, Littiuu, Alarei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the only thing bugging me so far is the placement of the rank images being above avatars now. I keep thinking that's peoples' avatars instead of their actual avatar. :v

 

47 minutes ago, Darth Jaller said:

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've just noticed that my post count has dropped considerably. I'd recently reached the Mask of Light Unveiled rank, with a few thousand posts; and I just glanced at my rank again now and saw I'd fallen all the way back down to a little over 300 posts. I don't know if that's related to the upgrade, because it had been fine up until... today, I guess? But I thought maybe I should mention it here, just in case.

(Just want to say too, though: thanks for all the work you've done getting these forums operational. It's really appreciated! :D)

I guess posts in certain forums were excluded from the total count? Or it really is a bug.

  • Like 1

B4dQI4x.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone asked in the Discord server and B6's response was:

Quote

Yeah, related to a question someone had about searching, there were a bunch of jobs running on the backend that were backed up. Invision helped us get them caught up so there are likely to be some changes in those sorts of things and hopefully searching will be more accurate.

So it might just be taking a while for everyone's stats to update.  I know mine jumped from 7k (my old post count) to 9.5k within the past few days or so.


OpAXNpl.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2019 at 11:15 AM, Xaeraz said:

Obviously not top priority, but blog entries still have the light mode last line fadeout on night mode, which stands out a lot and can make those hard to read?

Can ou post or send me a screenshot of this? I didn't see any issues when I looked at the blogs in Night Mode.

On 9/24/2019 at 10:38 AM, Edelgard said:

Avatars in night mode are also still circular, perhaps they could be changed to squares in night mode as well?

Fixed.

On 9/24/2019 at 1:00 PM, Axonn's Fury said:

Any update on the return of proto/spinnies/post count? Or any of the flair that was displayed for that matter. 

No updates just now. All of those were very custom things that had been implemented in the past, and Invision has changed a lot of the forum code behind the scenes. In fact, the file we used to edit for these things no longer even exists. We've looked into publicly available add-ons to do the same thing, but haven't been able to find any.

On 9/24/2019 at 5:37 PM, Darth Jaller said:

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've just noticed that my post count has dropped considerably. I'd recently reached the Mask of Light Unveiled rank, with a few thousand posts; and I just glanced at my rank again now and saw I'd fallen all the way back down to a little over 300 posts. I don't know if that's related to the upgrade, because it had been fine up until... today, I guess? But I thought maybe I should mention it here, just in case.

(Just want to say too, though: thanks for all the work you've done getting these forums operational. It's really appreciated! :D)

In addition to what @Bfahome said, I think there are other factors at play. When we last had a big forum upgrade, post counts were kept the same as they were on the old forums and then just added onto with new posts. I'm pretty sure the new software has actually gone and re-counted all of the posts, so it just reflects what's on the new board. There's the added rub that the 'post' count now includes blog entries and posts. So people who were more active on the blogs than on the forums or who joined after the last upgrade probably saw their counts go up, while old-timers like you and me had out counts shrink because all of our old posts don't count anymore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Black Six said:

Can ou post or send me a screenshot of this? I didn't see any issues when I looked at the blogs in Night Mode.

This is what I'm seeing, I don't know if anyone else is or not.


All are not the same


But three shall be as one


Freedom in the flame


The end has just begun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Black Six said:

In addition to what @Bfahome said, I think there are other factors at play. When we last had a big forum upgrade, post counts were kept the same as they were on the old forums and then just added onto with new posts. I'm pretty sure the new software has actually gone and re-counted all of the posts, so it just reflects what's on the new board. There's the added rub that the 'post' count now includes blog entries and posts. So people who were more active on the blogs than on the forums or who joined after the last upgrade probably saw their counts go up, while old-timers like you and me had out counts shrink because all of our old posts don't count anymore.

I did wonder if perhaps something like that was the case; since, like you say, the vast majority of my posts were from before that upgrade. I suppose there isn't a way to get the old counts back?

Guess I'll have to be REALLY busy if I want to reach my Mask of Light Unveiled rank again, then xD

In any case, thanks for answering! ^^


LhikanLow.gif

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

---

Corpus Rahkshi bio: Blizzard / Skyrise bios: Tarutu, Kastir, Littiuu, Alarei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious, I did see at the start of the new board that the old post count was around, is there any way to get at least some individual post counts back? I was pretty happy being at 6,999 posts for the last six years. :P


Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Darth Jaller said:

I did wonder if perhaps something like that was the case; since, like you say, the vast majority of my posts were from before that upgrade. I suppose there isn't a way to get the old counts back?

 

25 minutes ago, Tenebrae Invictus said:

Just curious, I did see at the start of the new board that the old post count was around, is there any way to get at least some individual post counts back? I was pretty happy being at 6,999 posts for the last six years. :P

No, if we tried to manually adjust the post counts I suspect the forums would just reset them again the next time the analytics ran.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Black Six said:

Looks like those are gone. :/

Kinda sad, but I don't think I had anything super important in there anymore thankfully, just some notes from old mafia games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In night mode, the like/upvote counter stays black, so you can't see the number of likes/upvotes.

image.png.8a0734367baaaea51aaef1e0a68e2364.png


Q2TtLEz.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like some members have the wrong spinny. And I seem to have none at all.

EDIT: The members with incorrect spinnies only display on their posts, they have the correct one on their profiles.

Edited by Valendale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohey, Google login's back. I'm not trapped in the Obamium void anymore.


Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can confirm the error described above.

It looks like the members that were displaying incorrect spinnies now have the correct ones, but some such as me still have none at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...