Jury Rigging a Kanohi

Ok I'm sitting on a I dea I intend to use for a finally realized series, I am getting ready to finally make Bionicle: Legacy of Mata Nui which some of you like Bonesiii (How ya doing my friend) may remember as a proposed collaboration comic set in a Universe where Teridax was not in the core processor when the Mask of Life started the energy storms and revived Mata Nui. I've decided to make it for now a solo project and focus on certain groups in it.

One group is a Agori of the Iron Tribe (Mata Nui's Quest happens still, changing only after the defeat of Tuma and the Bone Hunters and Mata Nui vindicates the tribe and the tribe is allowed to be part of the Sphereus Magna society again) one of the races from the Matoran Universe (One of the sentient ones we never saw in the actual story but are theoretically there) and a Matoran. Their journey starts thanks to a mine shaft collapse that traps the other two and damaged the Kanohi the Matoran was wearing to a point where it won't connect to his face.

Now in my story what I am going to propose is possible, and is always a last resort if no mask carvers are around. The new race (Need to think up his races name soon) fixes the mask with a little welding of a regular piece of metal to allow the Matoran to not slip into a true coma and slowly die. As I said it works but only enough to keep the Matoran's Heart light beating (By the way I must say I took a bit of inspiration for this from Nick's latest retelling of the Toa Mata's arrival and mask quest, Vakama may be a Turaga in most universes but he still is the most skilled mask maker out side Artakha)

But here is the thing we all know Kanohi have their energy imparted to them by what protodermise is used in making them, any level of mask can be worn by any Kanohi wearing race but only Toa and the likes of Axxon for Great, Turaga and above for nobel can tap into the powers due to concentration. Jaller wore a Nobel Hau for 1000 years but even though it had power he could not access it even if he had known it was.

We also know that if a Kanohi is damaged in certain ways it instantly looses any and all power it could contain, case in point when Vakama and the Toa Metru went to save their friends one (Forgive me I can't spell his name off top of my head and I am not able to open a new tab as I write) was put in danger by a certain Po-Matoran telling him one of the masks he had busted was actually still capable of use but as we know that was a ruse and it had a fracture that removed any power. So the big question here is in the Prime universe were cracked Kanohi (Hair line fractures are tiny and masks change shape to a degree when worn) be rendered useless period unless the fracture was mended with the skill of a great mask maker.

Now I'm not asking if they retained any power, no it is clear in story a damaged Kanohi was not capable of containing a special power (The Vahi nearly destroyed a lot of things but it's legendary so it was fixable and retainded its power) no I'm asking could a matoran wear a failed great mask as if it was a powerless Kanohi from start to finish and do work and have full functions, or would it need a small repair to even keep them alive.

Again Jaller wore his Hau because his old mask had completely shattered and was unrepairable so a mask with sufficient damage will be useless period but what of the slightly damaged powerless masks, like those that were sent to the reclamation yard in Metru Nui to be recycled with hairline fractures still support life and if so what would happen should that mask be worn by a Matoran who became a Toa?

It has a lot of possibility, also while we are on Masks did anyone besides me notice in Vakama's Forge in City of Legends that one mask looked an awful lot like the Crana Ca, which in turn looks like a alternative shape for a Hau? Alway kind of like the idea a Mask maker got creative one time and while forging a Kanohi Hau he decided to make it look like the Krana they had glimpsed one time in the Archives.

Bionicle is amazing.

Legends Never Die!

10 hours ago, Toa Komali said:

Ok I'm sitting on a I dea I intend to use for a finally realized series, I am getting ready to finally make Bionicle: Legacy of Mata Nui which some of you like Bonesiii (How ya doing my friend)

Pretty sure you're not supposed to discuss banned members.

Your question is a little meandering, but as for the main gist of it: I don't think anything's been officially stated as to whether a cracked mask would still keep a Matoran conscious. I'd think that it would, as long as there wasn't major damage - when a Great Kanohi is lightly damaged, its power leaks out, but that probably wouldn't be an issue for powerless masks. Jala's old Komau broke completely into two pieces, which probably meant that it wouldn't be able to stay on his face anymore - but as long as a mask could still be worn, I'm inclined to think it would keep the bearer going.

I think the main concern would be if the Matoran became a Toa - the mask would become a Great mask, but probably wouldn't repair itself, resulting in its power leaking out (or possibly the mask being damaged further as it gains power that can't be kept inside the mask).

sigbanner.gif

2 hours ago, TuragaNuva said:

Pretty sure you're not supposed to discuss banned members.

Your question is a little meandering, but as for the main gist of it: I don't think anything's been officially stated as to whether a cracked mask would still keep a Matoran conscious. I'd think that it would, as long as there wasn't major damage - when a Great Kanohi is lightly damaged, its power leaks out, but that probably wouldn't be an issue for powerless masks. Jala's old Komau broke completely into two pieces, which probably meant that it wouldn't be able to stay on his face anymore - but as long as a mask could still be worn, I'm inclined to think it would keep the bearer going.

I think the main concern would be if the Matoran became a Toa - the mask would become a Great mask, but probably wouldn't repair itself, resulting in its power leaking out (or possibly the mask being damaged further as it gains power that can't be kept inside the mask).

Wait hold that Pewku, he was banned?! I don't see that listed on his profile, don't accounts say that meber is banned? Unless it's my Wii U browser not showing anything fully (Like always) I had no idea so if he is banned I am sorry I broke a rule (More so on another topic than here as I don't think mentioning someone as a mentor to be like trying to talk about them but either way I am sorry.

Also sorry for the rambling, indeed my thought has always been that a cracked Kanohi is still viable for life function on Matoran it just remains powerless. But Toa tranformation is less likely to cause damage to a mask and charge it up, much like how a tool in hand is transformed to better suit the new Toa the mask would change in a way that would close off the fragile edge where the two gaps would of met and in a way heal that mask.

But because the mask had no power it would not necessarily gain the power it was forged to have, maybe even creating a completely new mask of power. Toa transformation is a lot less strenuous than most think since it is causing a natural growth in the Matoran to become Toa, the form of their new Toa forms are also reflected by how they think a Toa should look* so the mask would likewise be subject to their physiology altering in a positive way.

At least that is my theory, as far as what mask power they gain there are a lot of variables here. I mean Kanohi are often made in different shapes that contain the same power (Toa Likahn's Hau and Tahu's look very different but function the same.) or have different powers but the same shape (Turaga Dume and Toa Norik) so shape could factor into it, or like with the form being the Matoran's view of a Toa affecting the body shape maybe a Matoran's most desired ability (no, no not saying they want a Vahi they get a Vahi, it would have to fit the rules of a great mask) such as intangibility, wall walking, or a way to counter a deep rooted fear could be given to them.

*Typically that is how it works, most known Toa Stone transformations follow the rule of personal ideal Toa, Takanuva looking like a Toa Nuva but not being on their power level, the Toa Metru looking like the Toa Mangai. These were influencedby their view of Toa form, there are exceptions to this rule as with the Inika being transformed by the Red Star coming out with a completely never before seen (By them) form of Toa and their evolution into Marhi by the Mask of Life again resulted in a type of Toa no one in Metru Nui had seen before. 

Bionicle is amazing.

Legends Never Die!

• 4 months later...
On 9/16/2019 at 10:09 AM, Toa Komali said:

Wait hold that Pewku, he was banned?! I don't see that listed on his profile, don't accounts say that meber is banned? Unless it's my Wii U browser not showing anything fully (Like always) I had no idea so if he is banned I am sorry I broke a rule (More so on another topic than here as I don't think mentioning someone as a mentor to be like trying to talk about them but either way I am sorry.

Also sorry for the rambling, indeed my thought has always been that a cracked Kanohi is still viable for life function on Matoran it just remains powerless. But Toa tranformation is less likely to cause damage to a mask and charge it up, much like how a tool in hand is transformed to better suit the new Toa the mask would change in a way that would close off the fragile edge where the two gaps would of met and in a way heal that mask. 

bonesiii wasn't banned, just suspended from posting for bad behavior. What happened was that he abandoned his account after he was suspended and never got back to the staff to clear up his problem. If bones wanted to come back, he would need to PM the staff first to work it out, then he would be allowed to post again. I learned this from a staff member friend on the website, back when I was lurking. 

Anywho, I remember that the Ta-Metru Mask Makers threw out Kanohi regularly for being cracked or flawed in some way. Only perfect Kanohi were passed to Matoran and worn. Now this could have been due to the Matoran's impeccable fashion sense (lol Matau) but I tend to doubt it. I think cracked or flawed masks would fail to keep the bearer conscious. However, repairing the mask (as Vakama did with the Mask of Time) would likely fix the problem entirely.

I recall that the Masks were failsafes by the Great Beings in order to stop Matoran overwhelming other powers in the MU by sheer numbers. IIRC, that would mean that the masks are less of a source of power for the wearer and more of a "contact circuit" for power. Like a light switch: turn the switch on (put the mask on) power flows to the brain, and the wearer is conscious. Turn the switch off (take the mask off) and there is no power to the brain, and the bearer is unconscious. A light switch has no power of itself (witness power outages) but if you damage the switch, no power will flow through it. Does that make sense? Repair the switch, and power will flow through it again. 

If you want a Matoran who is barely alive, aka comotose invalid, for your story, I would suggest having some other body system be damaged and imperfectly repaired. We know this happened in-story (see: Karzanhi's Matoran) so it's not out of the question for your fanfiction. Just make it seem realistic. You got this. :)   

Edited by 21Boomerangs

you can call me boomie :D