LEGO Risk

JAG18

After emerging victorious at The Battle of Bara Magna, The Makuta set out to conquer the rest of the universe, but much to his surprise, other powerful warlords had embarked on a similar quest.  Now, the various villains clash in an attempt to rule the LEGO multiverse, but there can only be one champion...

Introduction: Risk is an incredibly popular game of world domination and its rules are probably familiar to many of you reading this.  But, because LEGO: Risk is an amalgamation of several different Risk variants I’ve written a set of rules below.  If you already know the rules to Risk than just read anything in bold for any of the differences from normal Risk and for info on how to join this game. 

The Game Board:

(See here)

The game board is divided into 36 territories, which connect to each other by a space line or a wormhole*.  During the game armies will attack enemy armies across these lines. 

The territories are grouped in to six continents of different colors: Licensed Region (Gold),Systar Region (Red), Historia (Blue), Metro Region (Brown), Original Region (Green) and Far, Far Away Region (Purple).    

*Wormholes: Territories that connect to a wormhole are considered connected to any territory connected to the worm hole of the same letter. 

The Factions: Each player will play as one of the dastardly villains of the LEGO universe; each one has special powers that affect the game in certain ways. 

Brotherhood of Makuta: Overwhelming Numbers: At the beginning of your turn, after placing your armies, but before attacking place an additional army in each capital you control. 

Rogue Knights: Fortifications: Whenever you defend your starting capital always add 1 to your die results.

The Robots: Numerical Advantage: When counting armies, divide your territories by 2 instead of 3

The Martians: Guerrilla Tactics:  You may make your Maneuver at any time on your turn and you may maneuver through enemy territories.

Dinosaurs: First Blood: In the first territory you attack each turn, add 1 to your highest die roll for every attack that turn.  This can turn a 6 into a 7.

First Order: Aggressive Recruitment: When drawing territory cards, if you control the territory drawn then immediately place 2 additional armies in that territory.

Setting Up:

1) Sign-ups will last one week or until six players have signed up (whichever happens first); to sign up player will post in topic which faction they wish to play and a color army to play with (Options: red, blue, green, brown, black, and purple).  Each faction has its own unique ability so choose wisely. 

2) I will use an RNG to decide who goes first.  Play will proceed down the player list (player 5 then 6 then 1 etc.) until all players have taken a turn. 

3)   I will use a RNG to divide the territories among the players (each territory has been assigned a number for this process) and then I will post which territories were given to which player.  In a 5 player game, the player going last will get one extra territory.

4) All players will start with a pool of armies depending on how many players they are (35/30/25/20 armies in a 3/4/5/6 player game respectively).  I will send each player a PM asking them where they want to place their armies in their territories and which of their territories they want to make their capital.  Then the game begins. 

What to do on your turn:

Step 1: Recruit Armies

At the start of a player’s turn I will count all their territories and cities* then divide the number by 3.  That is the number of armies the player can place at the beginning of their turn.  Example, a player with 12 territories will get 4 armies, 15 territories 5 armies; if the number can’t be divided by 3 then round down, but players, will always get at least 3 armies from this process. Then the player gets an extra army for each capital they control and if they control one or more continents they get the bonus listed on the game board. 

A player may also choose to turn in one or more cards won in battles to claim even more armies.  Each card has one or two stars on it, which can be turned in for additional armies:

2 Stars = 2 armies

3 Stars = 4 armies

4 Stars = 7 armies

5 Stars = 10 armies

6 Stars = 13 armies

7 Stars = 17 armies

Example: a player can turn in three cards with a total of 4 stars to claim 7 bonus armies. 

*Cities are important locations in the LEGO universe.   They are 13 of them in the game. Territories with cities are marked on the board with a grey hexagon.   

Players will post in the topic, in which territories they will be placing their armies each turn. 

Step 2: Attack

After placing armies, the player whose turn it is may choose to end their turn or they may choose to attack.  The attack phase goes as follow: the attacker posts which territory they want to attack and which connected territory they will be attacking from along with the number of armies that will be attacking (up to 3).  For each attacking army I will follow a die and the defender will roll 2 dice* (or one if there is only one army in that territory).  Pair up the attack and defense dice from highest to lowest.  Then, for each pair of dice, do the following:

If the attack die is higher, remove one defending army from the battle.

If the defense die is the same number, or higher than, the attack die, remove one attacking army (the defender always wins a tie). 

If the battling players roll an unequal number of dice than ignore the extra dice (the dice with the lowest numbers).

If all defenders were killed in the battle, then the attacker won and move as many armies as survived the battle into the territory.  Then they may move any additional armies from the attacking territory as they want, but they cannot leave a territory empty. 

*For the sake of simplicity, I will always roll two dice when rolling defense for a territory unless there is only one army in the territory instead of letting the player decide each battle. 

Step 3: Maneuver

After finishing attacking, the player may move any number of armies from one territory they control to another one as long as they control all the territories in-between (e. g. A player may move armies from Bespin to Tatooine if they control Hoth). 

Step 4: Draw a card.

If the player conquered at least one territory on their turn they get one card to put their hand (determined by RNG).  Cards are open knowledge.

Step 5: Trade

If the player made any deals at any other time then any promised goods are traded now.  Items that can be traded and the manner how include:

Cards: are exchanged from hand to hand.

Armies: armies can be held back during the Recruitment phase and traded during this step.  The player starts with them during the next turn.  If that player is eliminated with such armies then the player who eliminated them gets the armies on their next turn.

Territories: during this step, traded territories are vacated; occupying armies are placed in the owner’s reserve except for one which switches sides and now belongs to the new owner.

After all players have taken a turn then a round ends and turn order is determined for the next round.

Winning the game: After a player completes their fifth turn then they count all their territories; whoever has the most territories at the end of their fifth turn (after all players have gone) is the winner. 

Other Rules:

All BZPower rules apply.

KEEP IT CLEAN

Remember it’s just a game and not a real war, so please no rude or unsportsmanlike behavior (e. g. complaining about die rolls).  We’re all just here to have fun. 

Alliances and truces (temporary or otherwise) between players are neither encouraged nor forbidden by the rules.  Players are free to discuss said alliances and truces in the topic, in PMs, or any other form of communication. 

Player List:

1. Iron_Man5 (Martians; green)

2. Toru Nui (Robots; Black)

Edited by JAG18
Updated player list.
  • Like 1

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

Alright, signs up end tomorrow, but I think we've got everybody we're going to get; so, Toru and Iron_Man I got two questions for you both:

1) Are you two interested in playing a two-player game?  I'm fine digging up the two player rules and hosting it, but if either of you don't want to, I understand that. 

2) If we do go forward with a two player game, how do you want it to end?  I'm asking because I'm not sure how well the current "5 turn" rule will work with two players.  Other options include; capital assault, total elimination, and the Cease Fire card. 

If anyone wants to jump in at the last minute I'm not going to turn them away, but if this is it then let's talk about this now and go from there. 

12 hours ago, Toru Nui said:

I'm sorry, I thought there would be more people. I'm afraid I'm simply not interested in 1v1.

Yeah, so did I unfortunately, but it is what it is. 

Anyway, with sign ups over and not enough players on board this game is officially canceled.  Thanks you two for joining; considering how well this one went I don't think I'll ever try hosting another one of these games again.  It looks like Bionicle/LEGO Risk was just a one-time thing.