Hero Factory Discussion

Meiko

This is like the greatest thing since BIONICLE! :biggrin: Who else likes it? What sets do you guys have? Just wondering? I have about all of them except some 2011 villains and most of the 2010 villains. The Furno Bike is an amazing set in my opinion by the way!

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Yeah, the 2.0 and 3.0 sets were really good. I liked the building style, and the way they work out when built. The posability is great, and the joints are a nice improvement. I only have Nex, Rocka, and Stringer in my 3.0 hero collection so far, but in my opinion, that's "Lions and Tigers and Bears, OH MY!" XD

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I love Hero Factory and everything about it. It's so silly, it's actually fun. General question for anybody who remembers that far back: who here has the text from that blurb about Merrick Fortis on the Hero Recon teaser site? I can't find it anywhere, except for a tiny screenshot on dbme employees page, and the wayback machine doesn't have it yet.

Yeah, the HF topic had to be the first one in the new Lego Discussion. I'm not a huge fan of the Hero Factory story, and since that is what drew me to Bionicle, it kind of feels underwhelming without a backstory with a plot. I haven't got any of the sets, so I can't comment on those, though. -don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

I love Hero Factory. Well, mostly the 2.0 build system... I have been building a lot since the forums went down... Expect a lot of Hero Factory stuff in the near future from me.

I couldn't agree more, the 2.0 building system is simply the best building system, and really puts what came before it to shame. Whenever I buy a set I don't need to worry about if it'll contribute to my building experience, as every part is actually useful. Except for those darn flame pieces. Those were kinda lame.

The introduction of the new ball-and-socket construction with the 2.0 heroes made me very happy - it was really a break from BIONICLE build-wise, and that kind of revisualization of Technic action figures was refreshing to me, what I had hoped for when LEGo said they were headed in a new direction. However, canister heroes aside, I feel like there's still a lot of untapped potential in the ball-and-socket system, particularly in making larger figures (so far, the "titan" sets of HF have been sloppy-looking, in my opinion). But I'm still hopeful that, as this system is continued, it will be increasingly refined and variable.

test2.png

I couldn't agree more, the 2.0 building system is simply the best building system, and really puts what came before it to shame.

Stole the words straight from my mouth, brother. Hero Factory has refined the old ball joint system to near perfection. Also I really hope to get one or two HF sets for my birthday soon. Bulk 3.0 is a must, and maybe one villain or PAB parts would be awesome. :>

cholslegofursig.png

Latest MOC:

Ol' Dusty

I love Hero Factory and everything about it. It's so silly, it's actually fun. General question for anybody who remembers that far back: who here has the text from that blurb about Merrick Fortis on the Hero Recon teaser site? I can't find it anywhere, except for a tiny screenshot on dbme employees page, and the wayback machine doesn't have it yet.

Yeah, the problem with that would be the fact that the front page is Flash (I don't know if it was then, but if so...), so most likely won't see it on the Wayback Machine. It's real bummer.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Wait, we still only have one topic to discuss everything but the sets? Gah. I confess, Hero Factory has grown on me, 2011 has been an amazing year and if they carry on making sets the quality of Witch Doctor (Which they haven't, as anyone with google can tell you), I can accept it as Bionicle's replacement. Also, Savage Planet was amazing, I have to admit. The fact that they finally got rid of Baldo as a director means that it didn't feel so awkward, everything seemed more fluid and the characters were actually relatable for once.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Wait, we still only have one topic to discuss everything but the sets? Gah. I confess, Hero Factory has grown on me, 2011 has been an amazing year and if they carry on making sets the quality of Witch Doctor (Which they haven't, as anyone with google can tell you), I can accept it as Bionicle's replacement. Also, Savage Planet was amazing, I have to admit. The fact that they finally got rid of Baldo as a director means that it didn't feel so awkward, everything seemed more fluid and the characters were actually relatable for once.

If you are talking about the 2012 preliminary pictures, those we can expect will look much better when they are released. Preliminary pictures aren't final, and these ones are very early then. I also agree with you when you say that Witch Doctor was a high quality set. My only disappointment in him really was that he couldn't turn his feet side-to-side. I've seen that the large Hero Factory sets are a very good improvement since BIONICLE ended, especially those like the Furno Bike and the Drop Ship (I don't have the Drop Ship set yet, but I have seen it and it is a very well-designed set). The large sets are a fairly simple build for their size, and they turn out great. They have nice action features and interesting design techniques to make them a fun build for me and I assume most other people.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

If you are talking about the 2012 preliminary pictures, those we can expect will look much better when they are released. Preliminary pictures aren't final, and these ones are very early then. I also agree with you when you say that Witch Doctor was a high quality set. My only disappointment in him really was that he couldn't turn his feet side-to-side. I've seen that the large Hero Factory sets are a very good improvement since BIONICLE ended, especially those like the Furno Bike and the Drop Ship (I don't have the Drop Ship set yet, but I have seen it and it is a very well-designed set). The large sets are a fairly simple build for their size, and they turn out great. They have nice action features and interesting design techniques to make them a fun build for me and I assume most other people.
I guess we can always hope. But yeah, Witch Doctor is one of the finest sets I've ever seen, and likely even better than any Bionicle set. The overall design looks fantastic and while it's not 100% realistic movement in the arms, the shoulders can still do things no other set beforehand could do.

LzcD9OS.png

Yeah, the problem with that would be the fact that the front page is Flash (I don't know if it was then, but if so...), so most likely won't see it on the Wayback Machine. It's real bummer.
Wayback machine generally does Flash just fine. It can display the old HF prelim site without any difficulties, so I assume it would be able to display the site itself; it just isn't up.

Yeah, they really should have given this its own forum, but oh weill =/ Witch Doctor is extremely pimp set; makes fantastic use of the new building system, really exemplifies the potential of the line overall. SP was good, but I preferred having Baldo as director because he could move a plot along. Baker had good characterization of everybody, but his pacing was really off.

If you are talking about the 2012 preliminary pictures, those we can expect will look much better when they are released. Preliminary pictures aren't final, and these ones are very early then.

We're probably not supposed to mention those, as they were leaked.

I love Hero Factory to pieces. I have nearly every 1.0 set, two 2.0 sets and three 3.0 sets. I want to get more, but I don't have enough money. It's unreal. ~Argentum~

Story of my life, brosef. My only issue so far is that they keep updating the same Heroes. Why get Furno 2.0 when you can get Furno 3.0, his more handsome identical twin brother?

Story of my life, brosef. My only issue so far is that they keep updating the same Heroes. Why get Furno 2.0 when you can get Furno 3.0, his more handsome identical twin brother?

I think it was the same thing with Bionicle though, but on a much smaller scale. They've only used the same heroes three years in a row so far, and I can honestly see it happening again. Mainly because they do look different, its just, they're built the same. But we all bought other sets that were like that. And anyway, if you weren't told Vakama wasn't Tahu would you have known any different? Not really. So that's the same sort of thing happening for the past 11 years. :/ ~Argentum~ Edited by ~Argentum~

~ Argentum

Because his dashing brother is younger and the intention is you buy 2.0 in the six months before 3.0 gets released, when you have to splash out more cash.

LzcD9OS.png

Because his dashing brother is younger and the intention is you buy 2.0 in the six months before 3.0 gets released, when you have to splash out more cash.
And the fact that no-one is supposed to know about the new sets until they're released. Doesn't quite work though. ~Argentum~

~ Argentum

I love Hero Factory to pieces. I have nearly every 1.0 set, two 2.0 sets and three 3.0 sets. I want to get more, but I don't have enough money. It's unreal. ~Argentum~

Oh hey Argy (Can I call you that? :P)! I didn't know you had the 1.0 Hero sets. I was wondering how they are? Are they worthwhile and stuff? I have the modified Bulk 1.0 that came in the Bulk & Vapour set, and the modified William Furno that came in the Furno Bike. I am more impressed with the Bulk 1.0 hero, but Furno is still okay. I was wondering if I should get the ones that come in the canisters. What do yo think?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Oh hey Argy (Can I call you that? :P)! I didn't know you had the 1.0 Hero sets. I was wondering how they are? Are they worthwhile and stuff? I have the modified Bulk 1.0 that came in the Bulk & Vapour set, and the modified William Furno that came in the Furno Bike. I am more impressed with the Bulk 1.0 hero, but Furno is still okay. I was wondering if I should get the ones that come in the canisters. What do yo think?
I guess you can. Lol. Yeah, they're quite good. If I'm honest, I prefer Furno, Breez and Surge to Stormer etc, mainly because the weapon arms I find aren't that good. I don't like the way you can see inside them from certain angles. But the chest armour and leg armour are quite cool. It's worth getting them, but only if you have all of the 2.0s. They're way better. ~Argentum~

~ Argentum

I guess you can. Lol. Yeah, they're quite good. If I'm honest, I prefer Furno, Breez and Surge to Stormer etc, mainly because the weapon arms I find aren't that good. I don't like the way you can see inside them from certain angles. But the chest armour and leg armour are quite cool. It's worth getting them, but only if you have all of the 2.0s. They're way better. ~Argentum~
Yeah, I personally don't have the 2.0 heroes, but my brothers do (That's the problem with them being in college getting all kinds of sets :P). I'm impressed with the chest armor pieces in the 1.0 heroes, because they are well-designed and fit the character the way that I see them. I would like to see some more of the 1.0 Hero pieces in LEGO Digital Designer though, especially the body piece.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I own all the 2.0 Heroes and 3 of the 3.0 Heroes, as well as one villian from each respective line. While the 3.0 heroes are really cool and come with some great parts, the 2.0 series is more solid. Get the 2.0 heroes to set up a parts base, then get newer heroes/villains as you choose to accentuate as you wish. 1.0 heroes were only good for their masks, weapons (rookies only) feet, and body mold. Rest of the set was bad, in my opinion. Rivin

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 100 KB!

What, we can talk about leaked photos now?!?!?!?! OH YEAH!!! :happydance:

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

What, we can talk about leaked photos now?!?!?!?! OH YEAH!!! :happydance:
No, we can't talk about those yet. Sorry. Also, I think that the Hero Factory Story is much better than BIONICLE in a couple of ways; one reason is because it is a loose concept, and allows fan stories to be made with little interference (because you can have your own hero/hero team that you can make your own missions), that it is more organized with less going back and forward in time and places, and an organized release time of sets that goes along with the time of the story.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I agree on the posibility part but I think the weapons with the sets need some more intesing ideas they where the same parts with each set in the 2.0 line.

Actually, I think the "reusing the same pieces thing" is one way Hero Factory has an advantage over BIONICLE. The parts in general are less specialized than many BIONICLE parts, besides some of the weapons and faces/helmets. This makes me feel a lot less restricted as a MOCist-- for instance, I can use a lot of parts from a set without worrying that the character I make will be confused with a character who actually appeared as a set.At the same time, the new parts also have other advantages over BIONICLE parts. With, say, a Piraka set's leg, there aren't many unique ways to combine the pieces. All the legs end up looking about the same In comparison, with a Hero Factory 2.0 leg, you can rotate the shell pieces any number of ways, and thus multiple sets can use the same pieces without looking like clones.Again, this also carries over to MOCing. I have often been able to take apart all of my Hero Factory sets and MOC with them on a whim while up here in college. In 2009, my brother and I had almost all the 2009 BIONICLE sets up here at college with us, and I tried to MOC with them, but it was much harder to create anything I could be proud of. Nothing back then felt quite so cohesive or imaginative as my more recent Hero Factory MOCs.

I didn't like Savage Planet. I felt like the banter and one-liners were tiresome, and some were terribly out-of-character. "Wrangling cattle back home", Stringer? By "home" do you mean Makuhero City, which has been your base of operations since you were built? The place isn't exactly known for its cattle. Additionally, the fight scene with Furno's team, Scorpio, and Waspix took way too long in my opinion. I much preferred episode 3, "The Enemy Within", which is probably my favorite episode so far.Anyway, I'm a big fan of Hero Factory, and the set designs have really improved thanks to the new building system. I'm glad to see a lot of people here are also open to the theme, rather than bitterly against it like many BIONICLE fans on less well-regulated sites like #######. I can understand that some people don't like Hero Factory as much as BIONICLE. It's a very different theme with very different sets and a very different story. But at the same time, I think the theme has its own merits, some of which BIONICLE lacked. I like to compare BIONICLE and Hero Factory with the original trilogy of Star Wars and the original series of Star Trek. While BIONICLE tells a grander and more epic story, Hero Factory is more lighthearted and episodic, and is therefore enjoyable for its own reasons.

And the fact that no-one is supposed to know about the new sets until they're released. Doesn't quite work though. ~Argentum~
Well, I mean, the reason I got so few 2.0 Heroes is because we have Toyfair in February, which made it somewhat pointless XP. Granted, I only have one 3.0 Hero thus far, but I'm working on it. But yeah, it's a moneymaker for sure. I don't mind, though, as long as they keep churning out cool sets. Also a lot of my money goes to Recon Team, because that thing is wintastic.

Finalized pictures of the Winter 2012 sets have been found over here. -Mesonak

I'm glad we found these. I'm pretty impressed with them. I know it's going to be a "Prison-Break" story, but I'm curious about what the story will consist of and what will happen. I can't wait!

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I don't care much for the story,but I really love the new system introduced in the 2.0 sets.I currently own all 2011 HF sets except for Scorpio and Fire Lord.(Both I'm not planning on buying anytime soon anyway)-V-

Here are some actually great comics that I feel deserve a bit more attention as well.

One Nation Under The Great Spirit - The Lazy Life of a Comic Maker 3.0 - 009 Makes Comics - Tilted - The Awesomepacolypse - Tavkorp: Since 2008 - Akano's Comics

Well, see you never again, BZP.

The story in the comics and television episodes is pretty interesting in my opinion, because it's well-written, the animation (in the television episodes, not the comics :P) is quite amazing, and the way they are put together really well. I am a big supporter of how the story doesn't go back and forth in time and doesn't change locations and then come back to where they were the previous year. I also like how the sets are released with the waves that go with the episodes/comics of that time of year.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

The story in the comics and television episodes is pretty interesting in my opinion, because it's well-written,

W-wait, let me stop you there. Is it? Is it really? I have no idea why Von Nebula was a threat to anyone, why he wanted revenge or why he didn't try to fight back. I really don't call that good writing.

LzcD9OS.png

The story in the comics and television episodes is pretty interesting in my opinion, because it's well-written,

W-wait, let me stop you there. Is it? Is it really? I have no idea why Von Nebula was a threat to anyone, why he wanted revenge or why he didn't try to fight back. I really don't call that good writing.
Well, would you like me to explain it to you in brief? You can check on HEROsector01 too. ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick