Hero Factory Discussion

Meiko

I also haven't seen the new episode. Was it worth watching?

Yeah, in my opinion, it was great. I would suggest you watch it. The Rise of the Rookies/Savage Planet co-pack is available now, so you can check that out. It has all six episodes, and include Comic 6 in it as well. It was one full hour, so it had a lot more go on than in previous episodes. You can read the plot and some information about it here on HEROsector01.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Another general question to anybody in this topic: did you guys get a letter from a Hero named "Vic Tory" with your Recon orders? I've noticed that a few people do, but I can't seem to locate a full copy of the letter, and I certainly didn't get one.

No, I didn't, but have you checked places like Picasa Web Albums or other image sharing services?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

The story in the comics and television episodes is pretty interesting in my opinion, because it's well-written,

W-wait, let me stop you there. Is it? Is it really? I have no idea why Von Nebula was a threat to anyone, why he wanted revenge or why he didn't try to fight back. I really don't call that good writing.
Well, would you like me to explain it to you in brief? You can check on HEROsector01 too. ;)
No thank you, I've watched the episodes and read the comics and learnt all I've needed to. He abandoned the team because no-one actually got killed, ran away and then decided to blame it on Stormer, wanting revenge because nothing actually happened. Then he somehow got an upgrade that gave him non-descript powers and decided to live in a black hole for a while, with a staff of unknown origins, but I guess it's meant to be evil because he's holding it and stares at it like it's only friend/television. Then he somehow gathers four of the most dangerous criminals (Who get easily defeated) and has them randomly go out and start poking Hero Factory for some reason. Then he has his final confrontation where he sits there glaring at Stormer and Furno a while before they get bored and decide to actually do something, defeating his black hole with a method that defies phsyics. Then Stormer, who's never actually held the staff before, somehow finds the on switch and absorbs Nebula, disintegrating him like Nebula should have done in the first place if he actually wanted revenge.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

"IT'S NOT BIONICLE SO IT SUCKS!!" Ya no. On the serious side I like Hero Factory despite the high prices. Here in Canada a canister set is $11!!!! That is not worth it at all!! I have 6 of the Heros(luckily 3 of them where free) and I don't really want to buy anymore due the prices. I like the sets though Evo 2.0 is a masterpiece.

When comes to Hero Factory, the story is ok, but the sets are awesome and, in my opinion, are better than Bionicle sets. I own 12 sets (Breez 1.0, Meltdown, Xplode, Rotor, Breez 2.0, Nex 2.0, Drilldozer, Nex 3.0, Bulk 3.0, Stringer 3.0, Waspix, and Raw-Jaw.) in total and might get two more from the 2012 line. Speaking of the 2012 line, the Heroes, despite them using the 1.0 helmets (minus two of them), they don't that great to me, some of them look too random in their designs. The villains, on the other hand, look great, of course some can be better.

[size=4][color=#FF0000][color=#000000]Formerly known as ROTF Devastator[/color][/color][/size]
Kittiez sigpet made by Mr Nebby
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/vakama18/Stuff/shockwave_sig.jpg[/img][img]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Nrdy/Kittiez/W1/tabby.png[/img]

The story in the comics and television episodes is pretty interesting in my opinion, because it's well-written,

W-wait, let me stop you there. Is it? Is it really? I have no idea why Von Nebula was a threat to anyone, why he wanted revenge or why he didn't try to fight back. I really don't call that good writing.
Well, would you like me to explain it to you in brief? You can check on HEROsector01 too. ;)
No thank you, I've watched the episodes and read the comics and learnt all I've needed to. He abandoned the team because no-one actually got killed, ran away and then decided to blame it on Stormer, wanting revenge because nothing actually happened. Then he somehow got an upgrade that gave him non-descript powers and decided to live in a black hole for a while, with a staff of unknown origins, but I guess it's meant to be evil because he's holding it and stares at it like it's only friend/television. Then he somehow gathers four of the most dangerous criminals (Who get easily defeated) and has them randomly go out and start poking Hero Factory for some reason. Then he has his final confrontation where he sits there glaring at Stormer and Furno a while before they get bored and decide to actually do something, defeating his black hole with a method that defies phsyics. Then Stormer, who's never actually held the staff before, somehow finds the on switch and absorbs Nebula, disintegrating him like Nebula should have done in the first place if he actually wanted revenge.
I agree with you on this point: I think Von Nebula's motivations were VERY badly written in all media. I think they could have been improved if we had perhaps gotten some more detail on what happened in between Von Ness going rogue and becoming Von Nebula. For instance, if he forcibly had his Quaza core removed, or was made an outcast, or something like that, then he'd have something which he could realistically blame Stormer for (after all, if Stormer hadn't saved Thresher and defeated the drone, Von Ness could have believably reported to the Hero Factory that the battle was impossible to win and that Thresher was an unavoidable casualty). Instead, we have no idea what "wrongs" he thinks he's suffered, unless his whole revenge schtick is just his way of overcompensating for his own guilt-- which is a wild assumption not really reinforced by any of the media where his backstory is explained.However, other parts of the Hero Factory story have been much better. I like Fire Lord's dialogue in OoF and Witch Doctor's in Savage Planet a great deal; both explain their motives far, far better than Von Nebula even tried to. Of course, so far my favorite episode has been Episode 3: The Enemy Within.

in total and might get two more from the 2012 line. Speaking of the 2012 line, the Heroes, despite them using the 1.0 helmets (minus two of them), they don't that great to me, some of them look too random in their designs. The villains, on the other hand, look great, of course some can be better.

I disagree. I think the villains are trash(all of smaller boxed villains minus Thunder are). The Heros are pretty bad as well minus Furno because he looks awesome.

I agree with you on this point: I think Von Nebula's motivations were VERY badly written in all media. I think they could have been improved if we had perhaps gotten some more detail on what happened in between Von Ness going rogue and becoming Von Nebula. For instance, if he forcibly had his Quaza core removed, or was made an outcast, or something like that, then he'd have something which he could realistically blame Stormer for (after all, if Stormer hadn't saved Thresher and defeated the drone, Von Ness could have believably reported to the Hero Factory that the battle was impossible to win and that Thresher was an unavoidable casualty). Instead, we have no idea what "wrongs" he thinks he's suffered, unless his whole revenge schtick is just his way of overcompensating for his own guilt-- which is a wild assumption not really reinforced by any of the media where his backstory is explained. However, other parts of the Hero Factory story have been much better. I like Fire Lord's dialogue in OoF and Witch Doctor's in Savage Planet a great deal; both explain their motives far, far better than Von Nebula even tried to. Of course, so far my favorite episode has been Episode 3: The Enemy Within.
It's relatively easy to pin his motives on an overwhelming sense of guilt and transference of blame (you see these things all the time with people) but without his time as a Hero or even as a villain really, it's hard to get a proper sense, yeah. The HF promotional mag does a better job of explaining this (and even goes so far as to mention that Von Nebula, at least, is convinced that Thresher actually died), but on the whole, his motives are relatively underdeveloped. I think they realized this with future villains; you actually get be informed about their transformations, which is something I wish they had done with VN, and I hope they explain if they ever bring him back. He was more there to help Stormer overcome his insecurities than a whole character on his own =P. As for the criminals, I think that's a slight exaggeration; it's never said that they're the most dangerous, just that they are relatively dangerous. And note that they only ever actually capture one for the first three episodes, despite having full Hero teams the whole time; the rest are skilled enough to force the Heroes into situations where the villains have the upper hand. Yes, they are all handily dispatched in the final episode, but you can't exactly have the villains win, now can you?

I agree with you on this point: I think Von Nebula's motivations were VERY badly written in all media. I think they could have been improved if we had perhaps gotten some more detail on what happened in between Von Ness going rogue and becoming Von Nebula. For instance, if he forcibly had his Quaza core removed, or was made an outcast, or something like that, then he'd have something which he could realistically blame Stormer for (after all, if Stormer hadn't saved Thresher and defeated the drone, Von Ness could have believably reported to the Hero Factory that the battle was impossible to win and that Thresher was an unavoidable casualty). Instead, we have no idea what "wrongs" he thinks he's suffered, unless his whole revenge schtick is just his way of overcompensating for his own guilt-- which is a wild assumption not really reinforced by any of the media where his backstory is explained. However, other parts of the Hero Factory story have been much better. I like Fire Lord's dialogue in OoF and Witch Doctor's in Savage Planet a great deal; both explain their motives far, far better than Von Nebula even tried to. Of course, so far my favorite episode has been Episode 3: The Enemy Within.
It's relatively easy to pin his motives on an overwhelming sense of guilt and transference of blame (you see these things all the time with people) but without his time as a Hero or even as a villain really, it's hard to get a proper sense, yeah. The HF promotional mag does a better job of explaining this (and even goes so far as to mention that Von Nebula, at least, is convinced that Thresher actually died), but on the whole, his motives are relatively underdeveloped. I think they realized this with future villains; you actually get be informed about their transformations, which is something I wish they had done with VN, and I hope they explain if they ever bring him back. He was more there to help Stormer overcome his insecurities than a whole character on his own =P. As for the criminals, I think that's a slight exaggeration; it's never said that they're the most dangerous, just that they are relatively dangerous. And note that they only ever actually capture one for the first three episodes, despite having full Hero teams the whole time; the rest are skilled enough to force the Heroes into situations where the villains have the upper hand. Yes, they are all handily dispatched in the final episode, but you can't exactly have the villains win, now can you?
I'm going to agree with you guys there, Hero Factory has picked up since 2011 to the point where even I am enjoying it, and I think the main factor of this is the villains getting more backstory (And Baldo leaving in Savage Planet, but that's another story). It's relatively easy to pin the whole driven by guilt and blame thing on Nebula as a driving force for him, but without any actual source on that (Besides that magazine you mentioned, which is interesting and I don't remember seeing), it's just fanon. That's where the villains have improved because their motives actually make sense, Fire Lord being driven to insanity by his crippling addiction to fuel (A 4X4 with a voice?) and Witch Doctor envying every being that can use Quaza (I think, that's what I heard from the episode). I remember reading that Xplode at least is a notorious and famed criminal, which I imagine would make him quite dangerous as he seems to have done pretty well at escaping capture each time. I agree that the villains could never win, and I'm fairly glad they did lose in the end, it's just the way they lost seems quite forced to me. With the exception of Thunder, they're all moderately intelligent, but their only strategy seemed to be to shoot at the heroes cover in the hopes they may someday get bored and decide to stand up, possibly to stretch or something. If they truly were intelligent, they'd just go around the chest high wall and shoot the unarmed Heroes, saving themselves time and ammo. (At which point, the Heroes would probably do something clever using those dematerialiser thingys, so that they don't actually die. Because, you know, kids show and all.)

LzcD9OS.png

I'm going to agree with you guys there, Hero Factory has picked up since 2011 to the point where even I am enjoying it, and I think the main factor of this is the villains getting more backstory (And Baldo leaving in Savage Planet, but that's another story). It's relatively easy to pin the whole driven by guilt and blame thing on Nebula as a driving force for him, but without any actual source on that (Besides that magazine you mentioned, which is interesting and I don't remember seeing), it's just fanon. That's where the villains have improved because their motives actually make sense, Fire Lord being driven to insanity by his crippling addiction to fuel (A 4X4 with a voice?) and Witch Doctor envying every being that can use Quaza (I think, that's what I heard from the episode). I remember reading that Xplode at least is a notorious and famed criminal, which I imagine would make him quite dangerous as he seems to have done pretty well at escaping capture each time. I agree that the villains could never win, and I'm fairly glad they did lose in the end, it's just the way they lost seems quite forced to me. With the exception of Thunder, they're all moderately intelligent, but their only strategy seemed to be to shoot at the heroes cover in the hopes they may someday get bored and decide to stand up, possibly to stretch or something. If they truly were intelligent, they'd just go around the chest high wall and shoot the unarmed Heroes, saving themselves time and ammo. (At which point, the Heroes would probably do something clever using those dematerialiser thingys, so that they don't actually die. Because, you know, kids show and all.)

This thing right here is what I mean. It's a lot shorter (mostly just biographies) but it's a lot more to the point than a lot of other story sources are, so I think it's pretty good.Yeah, XPlode was a famous criminal, but the others were just run-of-the-mill villains, for the most part. And I think we saw some moderate strategy. Meltdown's hit and run infection, for instance, and Corroder's acid use saw that neither of them were captured. In the final battle, I think they were mostly hoping that Von Nebula would dispatch of Stormer (and Furno, though that wasn't really part of the plan) and then the other Heroes would fall apart. Again, it's a stretch, but with 22 minutes to tell a story, you're gonna have to cut some of it out.

I saw that display too! Very cool, but my only problem was that the effects weren't lined up with the sets (so, for instance, Rocka's glow for his Hero Core was offset). But still, I'd like to see more displays like that in the future instead of just posed figures in a clear box. Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

I saw that display too! Very cool, but my only problem was that the effects weren't lined up with the sets (so, for instance, Rocka's glow for his Hero Core was offset). But still, I'd like to see more displays like that in the future instead of just posed figures in a clear box. Kalhiki

I've seen LEGO display cases at a variety of local retail stores, and they are rarely just posed figures in a clear box. It usually has a knob designed as a LEGO stud that you can turn to activate a lifting, spinning, turning, or motion feature. Also, I'd like to see more online games, especially ones with more variety. I like the ideas of Mission: Von Nebula, Mission: Ordeal of Fire, and Mission: Savage Planet, but I'd like to see something a bit different. I'm sort of interested in Creep Crushers, but not enough to play it very often. I'd like to see something where you have achievements that you collect for completing different goals, if you know what I mean.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Just bought my first set since January a few hours ago. It was Waspix, and I love him. The color is much more nicely layered than in previous lines and the lack of projectiles is refreshing. So question.Would Drilldozer, Raw-Jaw or Fangz be a better buy?

AXKP5KC.png

Would Drilldozer, Raw-Jaw or Fangz be a better buy?

I like Fangz and Raw-Jaw more for the sets, but Drilldozer is pretty cool.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Yyyeeeeeaaah, Hero Factory's story isn't really any good. =/ I think my favourite story was Ordeal of Fire, just for the unique villain motivations. But it makes up for it with an open world and awesome sets.

This thing right here is what I mean. It's a lot shorter (mostly just biographies) but it's a lot more to the point than a lot of other story sources are, so I think it's pretty good.

I really liked the story seed they planted there for Surge, what with his being worried about being 'flawed' and such. It'd be a neat mirror to have Furno/Surge have a struggle similar to Stormer/Ness's, but with Surge staying with the team. It's a shame they wasted that. =/ Edited by Cabooceratops

Who else thinks it's cool that the Hero Factory website changes the background according to the weather? Also, if you view thhe background image for that, on the sides that are cut off, there are little messages that you wouldn't usually be able to see. Here is an example (view the left-hand side of the image). Also, just to clear stuff up, this topic isn't focused mainly on the sets. This forum discusses the sets. I guess it's fine to talk about the sets every so-often in this topic, but it's supposed to be more about the site, the story, the games, etc (just about anything but the sets). ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Who else thinks it's cool that the Hero Factory website changes the background according to the weather? Also, if you view thhe background image for that, on the sides that are cut off, there are little messages that you wouldn't usually be able to see. Here is an example (view the left-hand side of the image).

Yeah, I'd started collecting them about a year ago when I noticed.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Who else thinks it's cool that the Hero Factory website changes the background according to the weather? Also, if you view thhe background image for that, on the sides that are cut off, there are little messages that you wouldn't usually be able to see. Here is an example (view the left-hand side of the image).

Yeah, I'd started collecting them about a year ago when I noticed.
Nice, I collect a lot of things in my Majhost, but I never got around to these. I thought about it though. I like them, especially when it coincidently matches the weather outside. The Hero Factory website is pretty awesome, in my opinion.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I'm really enjoying Hero Factory myself. I love the 2.0-3.0 building system and the low prices of heroes too. Sadly though, I only have Stormer 1.0 and 2.0, both of which I have customized to be a personalized hero. I'll probably post pics of them soon for those interested. Once again, Hero Factory is awesome and a good successor to Bionicle in my opinion

So I've been watching Savage Planet in bits and it's pretty good I guess, but......the animals......they're speaking. They're speaking and it kills me and it's terrible.:<

Speaking animals are fine. But what really ticked me off was Raw-Jaw. I expected something Hulk-like, something like "Raw-Jaw smash!!!". What I got was a wimpy monkey. :(

Nope, talking animals bother me immensely. Raw-Jaw was, as you mentioned, wimpy. Waspix was a girl. Scorpio I actually didn't mind that much, but having them talk is just wrong.The Fangz didn't need any dialogue, and they were cool like that. The nonsensical babbling of the rest is obnoxious and unnecessary.

AXKP5KC.png

Against my better judgement, I got most of the Gen1 and Gen3 sets, even though Gen1 has no articulation, and Gen3 is kind of a lame and Beast Wars-like... I freaking adore the characters. I am a proud Bionicle fan, that's for sure, and I always will be. But the the characterization of the Heroes in the mini series and radio broadcasts makes them so likable that I feel I must collect them out of sheer fangirlism.

bioniclebanner2_by_chromatic_ninja-db5v5

You may also know me as Zeta, Zen, Tay, or Slushie

I'm not bothered by the animals talking. Have you ever read an allegory dude? :P

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I'm alright with some of the animals talking, it makes the fight scenes a little more interesting and I guess it draws sympathy for the creatures under Witch Doctor's control. What annoyed me was the fact that every other creature had the ability of speech, except Fangz. That's just ridiculous, don't say some of them can talk but others can't. That just confuses me.

LzcD9OS.png

Overall, I think Savage Planet had a lot more problems than the animals talking. Like turning Stringer into a cowboy stereotype.

Gen3 is kind of a lame and Beast Wars-like...

"Lame" and "Beast Wars-like" should not be linked together. Period! Edited by Cabooceratops

I was fine with the animals talking, but Waspix a girl? I imagined it a man's voice.

Well, there are most likely more than one Waspix on Quatros. :P The weird thing though is that it appears as if there is only one Raw-Jaw.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick