Hero Factory Discussion

Meiko

The front page website update thing annoyed me. It was hard to find the Hero Recon Team. And the game was a not-so-great. The camera is really jerky, and don't risk a jump which you don't have the upgrade for, or the game will go into an endless scroll. The controls are weird, and you cannot get out of the level and back to mission control. I think it has a lot of potential, but they need to fix the errors.

Not happy that the ticker is gone. I loved reading the calls.Actually, not happy at all with the main page. Not only is the ticker gone, but the wonderful changing background is also gone. I loved how it matched the weather.Other stuff is gone. I found the gadgets and weapons descriptions to be quite humorous.Still haven't played the game. I'll do that soon.Oh, and new Stringer is awesome.Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

One thing I'm surprised at is the presence of organic creatures now. Splitface is definitely confirmed as such, being only half metal, and it seems pretty hinted at with Toxic Reapa (Who is a native of Z'chaya) and Thornraxx, being an insect and all.That said, I see they've dropped the whole "Surge's dark side" plot, which is a bit disappointing. Now my fanfics are ruuuuuined!

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Hm. Surge, who fears becoming evil, is going up against a guy with a split personality...So, I played the game. I was decently pleased. The camera is terrible, and hopefully they'll fix the save feature. But otherwise it's pretty good.Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

I'm still willing to take the comic as canon, honestly. The new update definitely allowed for more room for it to fit. In the brief episode clips, we see him being defeated, not necessarily apprehended; in addition to the fact that it sounds like Rocka is at least tracking him solo, I'm not willing to discount the comic as non-canon just yet.Also, short stories? Wat? This day just gets better.

I'm pretty sure the comic is non-canon. It makes no mention of the fact that BP is over at the Assembly Tower, and it has Rocka cuff BP when we already see him do that in the first video for the episode. It's probably like comic #5, which did not follow the canon but was just another interpretation of the story, I guess.

AXKP5KC.png

One thing I'm surprised at is the presence of organic creatures now. Splitface is definitely confirmed as such, being only half metal, and it seems pretty hinted at with Toxic Reapa (Who is a native of Z'chaya) and Thornraxx, being an insect and all.That said, I see they've dropped the whole "Surge's dark side" plot, which is a bit disappointing. Now my fanfics are ruuuuuined!

How can you be sure they've dropped that subplot involving Surge? Since it's an internal conflict, it could really be brought up at any time. The whole issue of Bulk's lower intellect was joked about frequently (and still is, for some reason), but the fact that he was self-conscious about this didn't really show up in the main storyline until Savage Planet, when he emphasizes that he's "more than just the big guy!"Now, granted, I think expecting that plotline to ever be brought up again might be too much to hope for, since he could very easily have gotten over those misgivings by this point in the story-- in fact, his whole "every Hero has a purpose" mantra in Ordeal of Fire could have something to do with those misgivings, in which case his act of courage in that episode could easily represent him overcoming them. But it's not impossible that they might be reserving this plotline for sometime in the future when they have the appropriate time and context to go into sufficient detail.Splitface is confirmed as part-mechanical and part-organic, not half-and-half, which I like. There's no way I could interpret the "red half" of his body as 100% organic, with the mechanical vents and other textures on some of the parts on that half. Being more vague about it allows me to interpret his red half as almost entirely organic, but with several metal implants showing on the surface to account for those occasional non-organic textures.I'm a big fan of the online game, and I love the presence of a Power Core vending machine. Power Core has been a bit of an obscure running joke, only appearing twice previously (the billboard in "The Enemy Within" as well as one Hero Factory FM episode). Seeing it appear again in yet another medium is a real treat. And just as in its previous two appearances, it comes with Preston Stormer's reluctant endorsement. :laugh:The online game has been extremely buggy for me, of course. The camera issues are frustrating, the fact that I can't log in keeps me from making significant progress, and occasionally it has "crashed" and taken me back to the log-in screen-- which, after I log in, still isn't recognized by the game. Still, having grown up on games for the Nintendo 64, I am used to awkward camera controls and occasionally-glitchy software, and I have to say this game has been a lot more thoroughly enjoyable for me than any of the previous Hero Factory online games.

I'll be honest, the Bulk thing is odd in the tv show. In all his appearances, I've never once gotten the idea or seen evidence that he's slow or dim-witted. If anything, he appears just as intelligent as the rest, which made his "I'm more than just the big guy" line appear out of place and rather forced. As for the whole Surge's dark side plot, there hasn't been a single reference to it, so it can either be looked at as happening internally, or far more simply and likely, dropped. Given it was never brought up in the comics or in the show, any interpretation would just be fanon. Unless we see something serious go down between him and Splitface, I think it's fair to say that it was just something Lego added to pad out his biography.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

I'll be honest, the Bulk thing is odd in the tv show. In all his appearances, I've never once gotten the idea or seen evidence that he's slow or dim-witted. If anything, he appears just as intelligent as the rest, which made his "I'm more than just the big guy" line appear out of place and rather forced. As for the whole Surge's dark side plot, there hasn't been a single reference to it, so it can either be looked at as happening internally, or far more simply and likely, dropped. Given it was never brought up in the comics or in the show, any interpretation would just be fanon. Unless we see something serious go down between him and Splitface, I think it's fair to say that it was just something Lego added to pad out his biography.

Actually, Bulk was shown to be kinda dumb in Rise of the Rookies, specifically, the Trials of Furno. ("AWAY from the explosives!") I do think they dropped the Surge thing. Pity, it would have been so epic.

In Rise of the Rookies they didn't make a big deal of his weaker intelligence, probably in part because RotR was pretty much about Furno and Stormer from beginning to end-- Bulk, Stringer, Breez, and Surge got almost no character development in those four episodes.However, Bulk's simple-mindedness (I wouldn't call it "stupidity" myself) was extremely evident in his appearances in Hero Factory FM.

I'm pretty sure the comic is non-canon. It makes no mention of the fact that BP is over at the Assembly Tower, and it has Rocka cuff BP when we already see him do that in the first video for the episode. It's probably like comic #5, which did not follow the canon but was just another interpretation of the story, I guess.

Unlike that one, there is no direct conflict here. We're not sure how the sequence of events pan out exactly, but we haven't seen anything that says one is less canon than the other. It could easily be the case, but it could also be their way of showing Rocka's personal adventure, if, say, they don't have time to visit it in the television show.The only real conflict I see comes from the Hero Cuff description about no villain having escaped them before. Like I said, I'm not ready to call it non-canon just yet. Comic 5 has gotten us all paranoid, but there's no reason to assume they'll follow it up again with something similar.

However, Bulk's simple-mindedness (I wouldn't call it "stupidity" myself) was extremely evident in his appearances in Hero Factory FM.

Ah, that would explain why I never knew about it. I never really followed them myself. I thought they were non-canon.
Theyre semi-canon.

Hmmm... so the purple villain will have a recolored Black Phantom head. Hope Lego doesn't get stuck in the old habit of constantly recoloring pieces again...

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Technically he only lost a copy of the blades. He was later seen with a version of these blades at the beginning of OoF, right up until his upgrade, so it must not be a big deal to replace/reproduce that particular weapon. As for his bike, he hasn't been seen with it because it hasn't been a set. Maybe it'll come up again, because his weapons certainly do. It would be nice to get closure on that point.

Technically he only lost a copy of the blades. He was later seen with a version of these blades at the beginning of OoF, right up until his upgrade, so it must not be a big deal to replace/reproduce that particular weapon. As for his bike, he hasn't been seen with it because it hasn't been a set. Maybe it'll come up again, because his weapons certainly do. It would be nice to get closure on that point.

Furno's Bike is a set, and I think his bike was seen in the Rise of the Rookies.

SpecOperations9.jpg

Feel free to friend me!

I mean it hasn't been available since then, so there's no real reason to show it in the TV episodes. There's nothing to promote.

Gotcha. Would be cool to see a 2.0/3.0/Breakout version of it though....*Begins to daydream about an awesome Breakout version Furno Bike, with a Hero Cuff launcher...*

It'd be cool to see Furno's Bike show up in the background in an episode. Y'know, just to say that it still exists.Kalhiki

That could be kind of cool, I suppose. It's always neat when there are background details like that. In the Rocka vs. Black Phantom video, for instance, you can see a lot of armor, weapons, and helmets lining the walls of the Assembly Tower.I'm not sure what context would be appropriate for such a cameo, though. We've never seen where the Furno Bike is stored, after all, and I'm not sure when we'd see such a place unless there were a new vehicle set for the heroes.Speaking of which, what other types of vehicle sets do you think would be cool in Hero Factory? Obviously motorcycles and spacecraft have a lot of lasting appeal, but I'm not sure what else would be suitable for this universe. I guess maybe a spacecraft designed to look more like a cargo ship would be cool, kind of like the one Surge hijacks in OoF, or the one the Heroes are defending in the first episode of RotR. Hovercar-like vehicles are also mentioned to exist in various Hero Factory FM episodes, so something like that for use within Makuhero City could be cool.One other potential vehicle set I've considered, now that we've moved away from canisters, is some type of custom Hero Pod. After all, even the Hero Pod shown in Ordeal of Fire was significantly different than the canisters. If a Hero Pod set were still compatible with the Drop Ship, that'd be an amazing bonus.

It'd be cool to see Furno's Bike show up in the background in an episode. Y'know, just to say that it still exists.Kalhiki

That could be kind of cool, I suppose. It's always neat when there are background details like that. In the Rocka vs. Black Phantom video, for instance, you can see a lot of armor, weapons, and helmets lining the walls of the Assembly Tower.I'm not sure what context would be appropriate for such a cameo, though. We've never seen where the Furno Bike is stored, after all, and I'm not sure when we'd see such a place unless there were a new vehicle set for the heroes.Speaking of which, what other types of vehicle sets do you think would be cool in Hero Factory? Obviously motorcycles and spacecraft have a lot of lasting appeal, but I'm not sure what else would be suitable for this universe. I guess maybe a spacecraft designed to look more like a cargo ship would be cool, kind of like the one Surge hijacks in OoF, or the one the Heroes are defending in the first episode of RotR. Hovercar-like vehicles are also mentioned to exist in various Hero Factory FM episodes, so something like that for use within Makuhero City could be cool.One other potential vehicle set I've considered, now that we've moved away from canisters, is some type of custom Hero Pod. After all, even the Hero Pod shown in Ordeal of Fire was significantly different than the canisters. If a Hero Pod set were still compatible with the Drop Ship, that'd be an amazing bonus.
And if you could put actual Heroes in them, that would be a bonus, too. :) One possible objection I could see to this idea would be that vehicles are made of technic parts, which Lego may be reluctant to use on this line as they are using it to appeal to younger kids and want to avoid complexity (hence the simplicity of the new building system). It might be possible to build a vehicle out of new-building-system parts, especially one that flys (no wheels needed). If a proposal based on that could be done, it would be a welcome breather from a line mostly composed of humanoid figurines. There are so many possibilities for that system that haven't been explored, mostly because the line is supposed to appeal to young kids, so no need to introduce complexity. (That was Bionicle's downfall. Run!)Still, I would love for Lego or some of us to explore them anyway. There's always Cuusoo - maybe we can sell them something they can't resist. :)

And if you could put actual Heroes in them, that would be a bonus, too. :) One possible objection I could see to this idea would be that vehicles are made of technic parts, which Lego may be reluctant to use on this line as they are using it to appeal to younger kids and want to avoid complexity (hence the simplicity of the new building system). It might be possible to build a vehicle out of new-building-system parts, especially one that flys (no wheels needed). If a proposal based on that could be done, it would be a welcome breather from a line mostly composed of humanoid figurines. There are so many possibilities for that system that haven't been explored, mostly because the line is supposed to appeal to young kids, so no need to introduce complexity. (That was Bionicle's downfall. Run!)Still, I would love for Lego or some of us to explore them anyway. There's always Cuusoo - maybe we can sell them something they can't resist. :)
I don't think avoiding complexity is the only reason TLG moved to the new building system. After all, small and medium-sized sets in the new building system aren't that much simpler than typical BIONICLE canister sets, even though it's easier to make a MOC look attractive and unique with the newer part designs and versatility of the system. Looking at Witch Doctor, he shows as much complexity as many BIONICLE titan sets or perhaps even more in some respects.The real reasons for the new building system I feel are the fact that it's more versatile and inter-compatible. Shell pieces are based on the same connection points as joint pieces, for instance. BIONICLE stopped being a part of LEGO Technic in 2004, but it never really got over its dependence on LEGO Technic-- in many ways it always felt like a Technic subtheme. Hero Factory with the new building system is more like its own unique "constraction" entity. Like System sets, it uses parts and connections from other building platforms like Technic quite often, but the majority of its connections and parts are based on its own inherent building platform.Therefore, I think a complex vehicle set with lots of Technic aspects is still within reason, at least in terms of complexity. The real issue becomes understanding how you can create a set so dependent on another building system and then expect kids to get the same build experience from it or integrate the parts and techniques with their other sets. I think as an example a car body could potentially be created with Hero Factory joints and armored with Hero Factory cladding, and might need only a simple Technic frame to help the base of the car hold its shape (and allow wheels to be attached). Scorpio demonstrated some ways in which the joint-based building could still be used to create a somewhat rigid shape, and while that set wasn't magnificent in terms of filling in gaps in the body I don't think it would be impossible on a larger-scale set that uses fewer of its connection points to attach details like limbs.

And if you could put actual Heroes in them, that would be a bonus, too. :)One possible objection I could see to this idea would be that vehicles are made of technic parts, which Lego may be reluctant to use on this line as they are using it to appeal to younger kids and want to avoid complexity (hence the simplicity of the new building system).It might be possible to build a vehicle out of new-building-system parts, especially one that flys (no wheels needed). If a proposal based on that could be done, it would be a welcome breather from a line mostly composed of humanoid figurines. There are so many possibilities for that system that haven't been explored, mostly because the line is supposed to appeal to young kids, so no need to introduce complexity. (That was Bionicle's downfall. Run!)Still, I would love for Lego or some of us to explore them anyway. There's always Cuusoo - maybe we can sell them something they can't resist. :)
I don't think avoiding complexity is the only reason TLG moved to the new building system. After all, small and medium-sized sets in the new building system aren't that much simpler than typical BIONICLE canister sets, even though it's easier to make a MOC look attractive and unique with the newer part designs and versatility of the system. Looking at Witch Doctor, he shows as much complexity as many BIONICLE titan sets or perhaps even more in some respects.The real reasons for the new building system I feel are the fact that it's more versatile and inter-compatible. Shell pieces are based on the same connection points as joint pieces, for instance. BIONICLE stopped being a part of LEGO Technic in 2004, but it never really got over its dependence on LEGO Technic-- in many ways it always felt like a Technic subtheme. Hero Factory with the new building system is more like its own unique "constraction" entity. Like System sets, it uses parts and connections from other building platforms like Technic quite often, but the majority of its connections and parts are based on its own inherent building platform.Therefore, I think a complex vehicle set with lots of Technic aspects is still within reason, at least in terms of complexity. The real issue becomes understanding how you can create a set so dependent on another building system and then expect kids to get the same build experience from it or integrate the parts and techniques with their other sets. I think as an example a car body could potentially be created with Hero Factory joints and armored with Hero Factory cladding, and might need only a simple Technic frame to help the base of the car hold its shape (and allow wheels to be attached). Scorpio demonstrated some ways in which the joint-based building could still be used to create a somewhat rigid shape, and while that set wasn't magnificent in terms of filling in gaps in the body I don't think it would be impossible on a larger-scale set that uses fewer of its connection points to attach details like limbs.
I think that there is a way to create a joint-locking system to allow for a larger set to hold a rigid shape. I don't know if Lego has the parts for this yet, but I'll throw the concept out there (The black things are standard HF torso):6733702805_2199a4c1d5.jpgI believe that this would create a long, flat thing, ideal for, say, an airplane wing. The torso design could be shortened or otherwise altered, allowing for a rigid frame that could support a vehicle design (limb pieces poking up and adding to other limb pieces, etc.) I have several other applications in mind for this lock, if it is possible, mostly on the lines of massive sets.

And if you could put actual Heroes in them, that would be a bonus, too. :)One possible objection I could see to this idea would be that vehicles are made of technic parts, which Lego may be reluctant to use on this line as they are using it to appeal to younger kids and want to avoid complexity (hence the simplicity of the new building system).It might be possible to build a vehicle out of new-building-system parts, especially one that flys (no wheels needed). If a proposal based on that could be done, it would be a welcome breather from a line mostly composed of humanoid figurines. There are so many possibilities for that system that haven't been explored, mostly because the line is supposed to appeal to young kids, so no need to introduce complexity. (That was Bionicle's downfall. Run!)Still, I would love for Lego or some of us to explore them anyway. There's always Cuusoo - maybe we can sell them something they can't resist. :)
I think that there is a way to create a joint-locking system to allow for a larger set to hold a rigid shape. I don't know if Lego has the parts for this yet, but I'll throw the concept out there (The black things are standard HF torso):6733702805_2199a4c1d5.jpgI believe that this would create a long, flat thing, ideal for, say, an airplane wing. The torso design could be shortened or otherwise altered, allowing for a rigid frame that could support a vehicle design (limb pieces poking up and adding to other limb pieces, etc.) I have several other applications in mind for this lock, if it is possible, mostly on the lines of massive sets.
Very good point! That would be a way in which a vehicle using the new system could be made to hold its shape fairly effectively.I was thinking something more along the lines of a MOC I saw in "The LEGO Ideas Book" by Daniel Lipkowitz. It was a MOC of a car factory by the LEGO Certified Professional Duncan Titmarsh, and had a car body in it made almost entirely out of System click hinges. I think doing something similar with Hero Factory parts could definitely be feasible. I tried on LDD though and I had difficulty-- partly because it's hard to ensure a workable scale when working with simulated bricks (Hero Factory figures these days are quite large, after all), partly because using ball joints on LDD can be difficult when they're being used structurally, and partly because I have very little experience with Technic building which would be needed to attach wheels to such a vehicle (a hovercar could easily be preferable in a set, of course). Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Hmmm. In the Rocka character promo, it shows the purple dude firing some electricity. Maybe this guy will be lightning-based?

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Hmmm. In the Rocka character promo, it shows the purple dude firing some electricity. Maybe this guy will be lightning-based?

Probably, because in the scene where it shows all of the villains breaking out, and he jumps down, you can see sparks shooting out of his back.

The+Edge-Banderbear.jpg bug_animated.gifStarhawk-PlayStation-3-b-300x300.jpg

"Wuh?"