Hero Factory Discussion

Meiko

So I've been watching Savage Planet in bits and it's pretty good I guess, but......the animals......they're speaking. They're speaking and it kills me and it's terrible.:<

The talking animals didn't bother me in Savage Planet much. What bothered me was that they had nothing meaningful to say. It seems as though they were just given voices so they could be given unfunny, non-dramatic battle banter like the Heroes.

Scorpio was awesome, though. And I feel the voice just added more to him.I mean, come one. He attacks the Heroes and once he's free, he doesn't just run off being happy like the rest. He goes to seek his revenge against Doc.The other animal voices were. Eh. Raw-Jaw just didn't seem to fit his character. And a female voice just didn't suit Waspix. Though, they did capture the insect-like sound for him/her. Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

The people who did the voices for the beasts in Savage Planet have done voices for Hero Factory before, just so you know. ;) Read about that here.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Hm.. so Rocka is a rookie?

Yes, he was a new hero built in the 2.0 form, and joined the Alpha 1 Team. You should read the article on HEROsector01. ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I hope that they continue making vehicle sets for two reasons:

• [*]The Furno Bike and the Drop Ship were both great sets, and I want more like them.[*]We need more pages to add to the Vehicles Navigation template on HEROsector01. :P

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

You know I want to see?I want to see Disney-style villains. The kind that gives you horrible nightmares as a kid and still creeps you out as an adult. Also.64a096a9447f94a12d77577cb26814e6.pngCriticism for this sprite? I want to make a sprite comic in the near future, if other obligations don't get to me first.

Edited by Observance

64a096a9447f94a12d77577cb26814e6.pngCriticism for this sprite? I want to make a sprite comic in the near future, if other obligations don't get to me first.

Who is he supposed to be? I think that it is Furno, but I can't tell. If it is, then he needs a helmet. Cool sprite nonetheless. :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

You know I want to see?I want to see Disney-style villains. The kind that gives you horrible nightmares as a kid and still creeps you out as an adult. Also.64a096a9447f94a12d77577cb26814e6.pngCriticism for this sprite? I want to make a sprite comic in the near future, if other obligations don't get to me first.

I don't know, disney villains aren't so scary after age 8 or so. I want to see villians like Rattlesnake Jake. The kinds that permanently scar kids and adults alike...

I'm going to agree with you guys there, Hero Factory has picked up since 2011 to the point where even I am enjoying it, and I think the main factor of this is the villains getting more backstory (And Baldo leaving in Savage Planet, but that's another story). It's relatively easy to pin the whole driven by guilt and blame thing on Nebula as a driving force for him, but without any actual source on that (Besides that magazine you mentioned, which is interesting and I don't remember seeing), it's just fanon. That's where the villains have improved because their motives actually make sense, Fire Lord being driven to insanity by his crippling addiction to fuel (A 4X4 with a voice?) and Witch Doctor envying every being that can use Quaza (I think, that's what I heard from the episode). I remember reading that Xplode at least is a notorious and famed criminal, which I imagine would make him quite dangerous as he seems to have done pretty well at escaping capture each time. I agree that the villains could never win, and I'm fairly glad they did lose in the end, it's just the way they lost seems quite forced to me. With the exception of Thunder, they're all moderately intelligent, but their only strategy seemed to be to shoot at the heroes cover in the hopes they may someday get bored and decide to stand up, possibly to stretch or something. If they truly were intelligent, they'd just go around the chest high wall and shoot the unarmed Heroes, saving themselves time and ammo. (At which point, the Heroes would probably do something clever using those dematerialiser thingys, so that they don't actually die. Because, you know, kids show and all.)

This thing right here is what I mean. It's a lot shorter (mostly just biographies) but it's a lot more to the point than a lot of other story sources are, so I think it's pretty good. Yeah, XPlode was a famous criminal, but the others were just run-of-the-mill villains, for the most part. And I think we saw some moderate strategy. Meltdown's hit and run infection, for instance, and Corroder's acid use saw that neither of them were captured. In the final battle, I think they were mostly hoping that Von Nebula would dispatch of Stormer (and Furno, though that wasn't really part of the plan) and then the other Heroes would fall apart. Again, it's a stretch, but with 22 minutes to tell a story, you're gonna have to cut some of it out.
I think you guys are totally overthinking this. Keep in mind, this is the "Get down, as in boogie?" and "This is just like herding cattle back home" and "Mmmmmm, cake" TV show. I don't think the writers are going to labor over Von Nebula's motives too much.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Raw-Jaw's voice was hilarious in part of Savage Planet. XD

Indeed it was. He was surprisingly adorable. :3 I did find the voices a little odd at first (especially since their scripts were particularly bad), but I guess it works. In a way, giving them anthropomorphic personalities helped make the hero's attempt to disguise themselves as animals more believable.

I had my doubts about HF when it came out, but then i got Rotor, and one thing led to another :P

YES. <3 Rotor so much.

cholslegofursig.png

Latest MOC:

Ol' Dusty

Has anybody here played Mission: Savage Planet on HeroFactory.LEGO.com? I need somebody to contribute to the article on HEROsector01. That would be much appreciated! :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

So I've been watching Savage Planet in bits and it's pretty good I guess, but......the animals......they're speaking. They're speaking and it kills me and it's terrible.:&lt;

The talking animals didn't bother me in Savage Planet much. What bothered me was that they had nothing meaningful to say. It seems as though they were just given voices so they could be given unfunny, non-dramatic battle banter like the Heroes.
What bothered me even more was the fact that there was not even an attempt of explaining how the animals acquired the ability of speaking, even though it would have been incredibly simple to integrate the explanation. Quite obviously, it's the quaza which started changing the fauna of Quatros. But why was no explanation ever given? I think it would have contributed much to the consistency of the movie if this aspect had been cleared.~Gata. ;) Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

So I've been watching Savage Planet in bits and it's pretty good I guess, but......the animals......they're speaking. They're speaking and it kills me and it's terrible.:<

What bothered me even more was the fact that there was not even an attempt of explaining how the animals acquired the ability of speaking, even though it would have been incredibly simple to integrate the explanation. Quite obviously, it's the quaza which started changing the fauna of Quatros. But why was no explanation ever given? I think it would have contributed much to the consistency of the movie if this aspect had been cleared. ~Gata. ;)
I don't think it would really be necessary though. I don't think it would be a necessary point in the story, nor would it contribute much to the episode. It's more of a know on don't need to know situation, if you know what I mean. As you just did, was proving that we can draw our own conclusions about it. That's only my opinion on it though.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

So I've been watching Savage Planet in bits and it's pretty good I guess, but......the animals......they're speaking. They're speaking and it kills me and it's terrible.:&amp;lt;

What bothered me even more was the fact that there was not even an attempt of explaining how the animals acquired the ability of speaking, even though it would have been incredibly simple to integrate the explanation. Quite obviously, it's the quaza which started changing the fauna of Quatros. But why was no explanation ever given? I think it would have contributed much to the consistency of the movie if this aspect had been cleared.~Gata. ;)
Maybe it was their roundabout way of explaining why Breez wasn't chosen to go on this mission. :PIn all seriousness, it was already known that Waspix could talk, thanks to the bio on the Hero Factory website. I'm pretty sure the conclusion you were expected to reach is just that they can talk, and that's just how it is-- no reason necessary. Wish their lines had been better, though.

I hope i can get off a little of the main discussion here XD Do you guys think all heroes on Hero Factory will be updgraded with Animal parts(3.0)? I really don´t think this of an upgrade, it´s actually an adaptation in my view. So the correct would be something like "Furno 2.0J" (The "J" would be for Jungle).

It's been the subject of some debate, but I'm on the side of "no", not every Hero has the armor parts. As evidenced by the canonical side of Hero Recon Team, they are available parts for any Hero to use, but it's not a revolution in style, as 2.0 was. It's just newly developed tech that is especially helpful in a jungle environment.

I noticed something today while I was drawing a 2.0 figure from memory. For a while I've been trying to figure out why Hero Factory has not inspired nearly as creative drawings from me as BIONICLE had. After all, I can draw most parts of the 2.0 figures from memory about as well as I can draw Toa Mata, and I enjoy the designs of the sets as much as I enjoyed BIONICLE set designs. Why, then, hasn't Hero Factory inspired anything as creative as the BIONICLE drawings I used to create?For a long time I thought the reason was just that I had become complacent, and no longer felt the need to "improve" or "change" Hero Factory designs like I did with BIONICLE designs. But now I think I have a better reason. 2.0 and 3.0 Hero Factory figures don't really have the same sorts of imaginative weapon designs as many latter-year BIONICLE sets. The weapons are well-designed with the same level of detail as BIONICLE weapons, and they even offer a greater building experience than many BIONICLE weapons. But they don't feel as imaginative in terms of functionality. The Multi-Tool Ice Shields are pretty mundane in function-- hooks are just hooks, claws are just claws, guns are just guns. The same applies for the claws that were so prevalent among the 3.0 sets. I'm not saying there aren't creative poses that can be done with simple weapons, but the 2.0 and 3.0 weapons and equipment don't immediately inspire them for me. The first wave was better about this IMO, with its very BIONICLE-like weapons, and the upcoming wave also seems like it might prove more inspiring for me. Rocka's crossbow-like weapon, Breez's double-blade, Furno's turbines, and Evo's burly gun-arm all imply to me certain types of action which didn't immediately float to mind after seeing the more generic 3.0 and 2.0 weapon designs. While I liked the 2.0 and 3.0 sets in terms of build, I think the upcoming sets are stronger in terms of really giving the characters designs that suggest very unique identities for each of them. Thoughts on this? Am I just rambling nonsense, or has anybody else felt this way about the upcoming sets?

Thoughts on this? Am I just rambling nonsense, or has anybody else felt this way about the upcoming sets?

I agree with you about the lack of uniqueness among the weapons, which is why I use the 1.0 tools for my rookie models, and make sure everyone else has a special weapon just for them before calling them truly "finished". Edited by Cabooceratops

I noticed something today while I was drawing a 2.0 figure from memory. For a while I've been trying to figure out why Hero Factory has not inspired nearly as creative drawings from me as BIONICLE had. After all, I can draw most parts of the 2.0 figures from memory about as well as I can draw Toa Mata, and I enjoy the designs of the sets as much as I enjoyed BIONICLE set designs. Why, then, hasn't Hero Factory inspired anything as creative as the BIONICLE drawings I used to create?For a long time I thought the reason was just that I had become complacent, and no longer felt the need to "improve" or "change" Hero Factory designs like I did with BIONICLE designs. But now I think I have a better reason. 2.0 and 3.0 Hero Factory figures don't really have the same sorts of imaginative weapon designs as many latter-year BIONICLE sets. The weapons are well-designed with the same level of detail as BIONICLE weapons, and they even offer a greater building experience than many BIONICLE weapons. But they don't feel as imaginative in terms of functionality. The Multi-Tool Ice Shields are pretty mundane in function-- hooks are just hooks, claws are just claws, guns are just guns. The same applies for the claws that were so prevalent among the 3.0 sets. I'm not saying there aren't creative poses that can be done with simple weapons, but the 2.0 and 3.0 weapons and equipment don't immediately inspire them for me. The first wave was better about this IMO, with its very BIONICLE-like weapons, and the upcoming wave also seems like it might prove more inspiring for me. Rocka's crossbow-like weapon, Breez's double-blade, Furno's turbines, and Evo's burly gun-arm all imply to me certain types of action which didn't immediately float to mind after seeing the more generic 3.0 and 2.0 weapon designs. While I liked the 2.0 and 3.0 sets in terms of build, I think the upcoming sets are stronger in terms of really giving the characters designs that suggest very unique identities for each of them. Thoughts on this? Am I just rambling nonsense, or has anybody else felt this way about the upcoming sets?

That makes a lot of sense, actually. I haven't really gotten an interest to draw any Hero Factory characters (I didn't for BIONICLE though, either), but I do like to visualize what they would look like with a more realistic touch to them.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I wouldn't really say that, but I'm not exactly an artist, so I may have a different interpretation of it =P. The first wave was ridiculously specialized; granted, Furno's blades are about the coolest weapons we've seen from the line as a whole, but everything else just seemed too bulky to be used for anything besides that one specific Hero. And they had so many gadgets and gizmos, it didn't leave much to the imagination. The 2.0 weapons are much more versatile, and just more interesting on the whole. Recon Team really brings out that potential, I think. You can include minifig chainsaws in them: how cool is that? And those blade pieces have so many usages beyond just being blades. Fire Lord uses them as horns, they can be used as pseudo cannon attachments on a gun weapon in recon team, armor, etc etc. I even used one as an ammo clip on a recon figure one time, and it looked pretty snazzy. And the claws have so many different ways to customize, some I never would have thought of. I think there's tons of potential in the new weapons, much more so than the original weapons. But I guess this comes from a design point moreso than an artistic one; you just gotta look for the right inspiration.

Personally, I enjoy drawing Hero Factory characters. I think the reason I enjoy it so much is because I don't draw them accurate to the sets. I add my own artistic flare to make them look better (in my opinion). For instance, I don't draw a Hero as 1.0 or 2.0, but rather, combine design elements from each to create a new look to a very effective outcome.But even still, all my Heroes look roughly the same. I've been trying to be more creative with my designs, and with some practice, I feel I'll get it down. Maybe that's why I like drawing the villains so much. They all have such unique looks. Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

Um, if the animals are all sapient, then why are they considered animals? ...Maybe heroes are all racist. "Look at that gorillephant over there! I can't believe my daughter is dating a gorillephant! How many gorillephants does it take to change a lightbulb?" Before you mods. all blow up and say I'm racist, I'm not. I'm just trying to get the point through.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Um, if the animals are all sapient, then why are they considered animals?

We don't officially call them "animals". The official term is "beasts". ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Is there really even any such thing as an official term for the wildlife? And what's the distinction between beast and animal? And even more importantly, does it even matter?(no)

There isn't much of a difference, but there still is one. See the definitions: Beast and AnimalAnyways, he asked the question―I answered it. Also, may I ask who has some nice screenshots from Episode 6 that I could see? If you could link to a Brickshelf gallery, that would be nice. :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I like the whole line; I own every set. The pieces work well in MOCing. The new building style is so useful, IMO.

Edited by GeluNumber1

jimistringer.png

Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

YEAH! I'M ENCOUNTERING PROTODERMIS!

Is there really even any such thing as an official term for the wildlife? And what's the distinction between beast and animal? And even more importantly, does it even matter?(no)

There isn't much of a difference, but there still is one. See the definitions: Beast and AnimalAnyways, he asked the question―I answered it. Also, may I ask who has some nice screenshots from Episode 6 that I could see? If you could link to a Brickshelf gallery, that would be nice. :)
Going by those definitions, calling them beasts seems even worse to me. :/ And I love the open-ness of the Hero Factory line. I can roleplay all I want it there are only a select few things I can't (canonically) do. I wish there was SOME story arcing (like maybe some villains actually get away for once), but I can live with how it is and make my own story arcs.

Has anybody here received the latest LEGO Club Magazine? I'm asking this because the newest Hero Factory comic was included, and I would most certainly like to see scans of it. :) Also, if you can find an online PDF of it on HeroFactory.LEGO.com, that would be even better! :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I've read the new comic, and it definitely does seem rushed. None of the events seem to tie in together, and, if I'm honest, it's by far the worst comic to date. The artworks nice, and the images are cool enough to possibly turn in to a signature eventually, but the storyline was just way too quick.And Rocka XL wasn't explained. At all.~Argentum~

~ Argentum

• 4 weeks later...

From the Call Center: "A four-armed skeleton warrior is attacking my home! He does this spinning attack with his golden weapons that destroy everything! It'll take at least four Heroes to stop him." This is the second time it has appeared on the site, and it was sent in by me!Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

"Tell Breez I loved her"And just like that Nex secured his place as my favorite hero forever.

Couldn't agree more! Because of the Savage Planet movie, Nex is definitely my favorite hero. I like his personality and I hope the other movies will expand on the other characters like this.I need a Breez!!
Hopefully with next year's Heroes, since each Hero is going on their own mission, it'll open up the possibility for them to focus on one Hero at a time. Given that the show continues, which I don't know why it wouldn't. Also hoping for separate episodes, each one focusing on one Hero.Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

"Tell Breez I loved her"And just like that Nex secured his place as my favorite hero forever.

Couldn't agree more! Because of the Savage Planet movie, Nex is definitely my favorite hero. I like his personality and I hope the other movies will expand on the other characters like this.I need a Breez!!
Hopefully with next year's Heroes, since each Hero is going on their own mission, it'll open up the possibility for them to focus on one Hero at a time. Given that the show continues, which I don't know why it wouldn't. Also hoping for separate episodes, each one focusing on one Hero.Kalhiki
I wouldn't get my hopes up for that. It would be awesome (even though it would have the disadvantage that there wouldn't be many interactions between characters to really bring out their personalities), but from what we've heard 2012 will just be getting a 1-hour TV special for its first half.EDIT: Speaking of the one-hour TV special, the Hero Factory website now has a video of what must be clips from that very episode. Notable surprises include:
  • [*]A
purple villain who uses parts we've seen in prelim images of the Captain America constraction set, as well as purple Mahri tubing and Black Phantom's helmet.[*]An upgraded Stormer using a printed version of the chest piece we've seen in preliminary versions of the Hulk constraction set.

I believe these will be summer sets for next year! Thanks to Mesonak for getting those screenshots.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time