Introduction of BIONICLE Legends #7: Invasion Recovered

JSLBrowning

Those of you who know your BIONICLE history might recall that the original BIONICLE Legends #7Invasion — was cancelled in 2007. Well, thanks to some detective work by yours truly, and some help from BZPower's own Black Six, the introduction of Invasion has been recovered, and is now available to the public for the first time ever! You can be among the first fans to read it by clicking here.

I'm starting this thread for two reasons: for discussion of the recovered Invasion introduction, and for discussion of lost BIONICLE media in general. BIONICLE was a massive story, and I highly doubt this one chapter of one book is all that's almost been lost to the sands of time — and now that I'm in detective mode, I'd love some more leads to follow. :p

• Like 2

1554824458_Signature1.thumb.png.b92b35987fd64998219a7750ccf7f46f.png134107221_Signature2.thumb.png.4cbc1d79cb2860c534af37071132810a.png

Really amazing, congratulations for the discovery.

Is there any chance more chapters of the book could be recovered? After all, lots of things happened in Invasion that are still regarded as canon: from Makuta taking over Matoro’s body (I imagine he’s the enemy in the Introduction), to the second battle with Vezon, to the Zyglak and so on... it wouldn’t be bad to recover it  (if it even exists... I have no idea how far along GregF was with Invasion before it got cancelled) .

Edited by Toa of Italy
  • Like 1

632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

There is probably an MS in Denmark or something. These books were quite short IIRC, and if an actual introduction was written there's a good chance that at least a rough draft was completed before the book was cancelled. How rough is up for debate; it could be the that the plot is finished but the prose isn't polished, or it could read well but the plot might have a few gaps.

Was there ever a reason given for withholding it? Sure, this series might not have made a lot of money... but presumably they've already paid Greg for the commission and would want to recoup at least some of that cost. Though even that's suspect, since we don't know how Greg was paid--did he have a salary as part of the story team (and any writing he produced was done on the clock) or was he paid a commission for each work he produced?

Greg wrote the novels as freelance, he was actually contracted by Scholastic for them instead of Lego. I'd guess it was less them telling Greg that specific book he was writing was cancelled than it was them informing him that the book count was going to be smaller than projected for that year - then he made the decision himself to toss the stuff he had written (a 'free space' story like Voyage of Fear or Legacy of Evil) to make sure he could cover the core 07 story with the three slots he had. So no loss on Scholastic's end for commissioning him.

From what I remember he said he hadn't written the full thing, and from interviews it doesnt seem like he even really had the time for rough drafts (five books, even small ones, plus full time work and hours answering Qs on here is a lot). I'd wager whatever he did write was the stuff hes alluded to - this intro covers his idea for Matoro's possession, and I can definitely see chapter 1 hitting on the Zyglak and Vezon's capture. That might be as far as he got.

• Like 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

For a moment, it was D.E.A.R. (drop everything and read) in middle school again and I was reading a new BIONICLE story...

For something so short, I was surprised how intense it was. Of all the things I thought I would read, Nuparu weighing the ethics of assassination weren't one of them.

If I could get one lost piece of BIONICLE back, it would be the Rhotuka Spinner Challenge. That would be so fun to do with other BZPower members.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Very interesting discovery. Not a big fan of the content of the chapter itself, but just to see this after it being lost for so long is exciting in itself.

To be honest, I don't think it should be featured on the Wall of History alongside other story material though. It sticks out really badly, considering that the plot it sets up doesn't reach any kind of resolution. Very confusing, especially for new readers.

Nice work! I guess I'm going to be the first one to ask... why did Black Six have a copy of the intro to Invasion?

Greg mentioned a few times that he never finished Invasion. IIRC he only finished half of it. He claimed that what little he did write was lost to a computer virus.

• Like 1

Right when Greg told BZP it was cancelled and he still had all the writing he had done saved, people asked him if he could post it on the forums, and he was open to the idea. There were some behind-the-scenes talks and it didnt pan out for some reason or another, but I guess they got as far as Greg sending over the first bit.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend