Do you think HF would get another chance?

Lenny7092

Hi, guys! I know that HF ended five years ago. Anyway, do you think HF would deserve another chance? 

True, HF was there in 2010-2014 to keep constraction alive. Lego should have used it again when Bionicle G2 ended in 2016. Here are some pros and cons in Hero Factory that we can think about: 

Pros - It's a new constraction theme after Bionicle. It's the second strongest and second most popular constraction theme. It focuses on the main heroes fluently. IT was the first constraction theme to have a TV show before Bionicle G2 has its own in Netflix in 2016. The Heroes got some good character development. The theme introduced the CCBS system. It used some stuff from Bionicle, like how the story can be told, how you have elemental-looking heroes with various colors, using Bionicle G1's pieces, and the fact that the creators of Bionicle: The Legend Reborn made the TV show. The show also has some good voice actors. The Breakout storyline in 2012 was a good storyline and used CCBS very well. There are some cool online games (I like the Breakout online game the most). 

Cons - Story needs some improvement. The villains are like video game bosses to be defeated after a short encounter. They never came back. There are some characters and some forms of them being absent from the shows (I'm thinking about Vapor, Core Hunter, Bulk's Breakout form, XT4, Nex's Breakout form, Thornraxx, and Breez's Breakout form), the shortage of episodes, that silly Invasion From Below episode, lots of stickers, budget issues and Irrelevant stuff happening, and some should have been non-canon (like IFB). There are a lot of mistakes from the TV shows and games, and there are stuff in the story and sets missing from these things. 

So, there. Let's focus on the pros. Bionicle had G2 because people love Bionicle so much. People kind of love HF. Plus, it was reported in The Hollywood Reporter in April or May 2012, where Universal Studios was working on getting the rights to make a live-action movie for HF, despite the movie not happening (Bionicle should have had that kind of thing). HF had some recognition, so do you think it would have another chance to come in the future somehow? I know that there's no constraction while it had much less quality in this decade, but I'm asking.:)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

It's highly unlikely that it will get a second chance. You know about all the haters, right? They will see to it that HF stays dead. It's quite stupid when you think about it, as a "Hero Factory G2" might be what is needed to revitalize constraction enough to help Bionicle return. Which is exactly what the haters of HF want, isn't it?

RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

No, and there's no need for it to. It was basically just a throwaway line for Lego; a placeholder until they could reboot Bionicle so constraction didn't die off, and a testing ground for CCBS. It sucked and doesn't really need to come back, nor does it "deserve" to; Lego can just make a new thing if they want to keep Bionicle's seat warm, and HF is hardly enough of a beloved property to warrant the kind of reboot treatment Bionicle got.

• Upvote 1

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

First off, so far this thread is hilarious: "You know about the haters right?" *hater swoops in* XD

I think that HF had a lot of potential that they just didn't tap into properly. They have a whole universe of planets and environments to explore, and they sorta did that in Savage Planet and Breakout, but even in Breakout they split the team up, limiting the extent to which each environment could be explored. They shot themselves in the foot with IFB, but I would guess that even Lego would admit that to some extent. 

One thing that they did well was focus on a core team. G1 was quite difficult to follow if you came into it partway through. This isn't necessarily a critique, but I think it probably affected their fanbase. Part of the difficulty was the various Toa teams-now I like the different teams, but you have to admit that Bionicle left the Toa Nuva more or less sitting around for 4 years while we did a flashback and then jumped to the Ignika. Again, this isn't bad per say, but I think they could have marketed it better to emphasize the Toa Nuva's involvement on Voya Nui better. HF had no such difficulties (for better or worse). It was much easier for fans to become interested and catch up easily partway through. 

I think if HF were to come back, they would need to capitalize on these 2 factors and, as mentioned, develop the story more with recurring villains.   

Sig..gif.a3346491b24c9bc3827e18c57ef3b7ff.gif.6f7ce54313e70f1931299845e4d29d20.gif

My thoughts would be no, as far as a straight-out return or revival is concerned. HOWEVER, looking at the way Lego have played their themes historically, I think there is definitely the possibility of Hero Factory getting a spiritual successor. By which I mean, you know... a theme that plays off the basic concept and aesthetic of HF, while at the same time carrying a new name, new branding, new characters.

It's something Lego have done a lot, particularly over the last decade or so: starting up a new theme which carries the torch, so to speak, of the old one - only, without being quite the same thing. For just a few examples: Power Miners was this to Rock Raiders. Agents was to Alpha Team (and then Ultra-Agents was to Agents). Pharaoh's Quest was to Adventurers. Mars Mission was, to maybe a lesser degree, to Life on Mars. And, debatably, Hidden Side is this to Monster Fighters.

Same concept. Similar aesthetic, at least enough to give a sense of familiarity to old-time fans. But new name, new characters, fresh take.

I mean, I don't guarantee anything. But it seems likely to me, given that it has been a favourite move of Lego's in the past, that Hero Factory could get this treatment in time.

((Aside note: I know, that Bionicle didn't conform to this trend; but I would consider that an exception to the rule - albeit a massive one - rather than the norm.))

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

19 hours ago, MoarBotar said:

First off, so far this thread is hilarious: "You know about the haters right?" *hater swoops in* XD

>unironic XD

Image result for crow of judgement

Anyway, I'm not a hater. I don't think I could bring myself to hate HF, and I don't know why it should be hated even if it did suck; it was never insultingly bad, simply bland and inconsistent. It threw out some good ideas that it simply failed to realize. If anything, it deserves recognition for keeping Bionicle's seat warm. But it was never meant to really do anything else BESIDES keep constraction going. It was never made to be great, never made with the heart Bionicle had put into it. I do think that potential in HF deserves to be realized, but a spiritual successor rather than a reboot to a--let's be real here--mediocre-at-best theme on every front feels more fitting; and I'd rather see Lego's resources go into something that's more earned the right to a proper comeback than HF, of all things. Lego would have more freedom to experiment with/revitalize constraction if they make something new entirely, sorta like what they did with Slizers and Roboriders (if that even counts) in the few years proceeding Bionicle, and not be constrained by the limitations of what HF already is and, thus, must be.

HF is another sob story of squandered potential in a sea of IPs that never brought anything truly great to the surface. Our culture is moving more and more towards just recycling stuff that's already been done, so we really should be conservative in deciding what and what not to reboot. Something like HF, which had so little impact compared to other things from Lego, shouldn't get through that filter.

• Upvote 1

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"