Pokémon: Rise Of The Rockets

Parugi

OOC: Kalos ICs coming tomorrow.

IC - Leda Garven/Gem Garven - Fortree City, Garven House:

The Garvens offered only a brief and somewhat exasperated glimpse to each other before affirming to Ryan that they, in fact, had not seen Ellen. 

IC - Ethan Worth/Gavin Braner - Celadon City, Streets:

The sound of breaking glass somewhere off in the distance perfectly captured the chilled essence behind the smile on Ethan Worth's face upon hearing Jamie's words. He could almost feel his spine bending under the pressure of the knowledge that he was going to have to break even worse news to her and Lucia that, in all likelihood, would completely destroy this bubbly attitude.

For the first time in a long time, Ethan well and truly froze.

The feeling of Gavin wedging his arms out from around him managed to snap him somewhat out of his stupor. He became vaguely aware of the younger Agent's concerned look as he felt his shoulders sink and lifted a hand to rub his eyes. "I'm . . . I'm glad to hear that, Jamie," Ethan said at last. "But . . . I also wish I hadn't." He clapped his hands together as if in prayer, searching for the easiest way to explain what had transpired.

Before he could, Gavin spoke up, saving him the trouble. "What he means," he said. "is that we have some bad news." He glanced at Ethan before turning back to Jamie and Lucia. "Skye went off with two of Ford's people--Tyler McKinley and Madison Hayes. McKinley claimed that their group was putting together a way to bring about 'total peace,' and they wanted her help to do it. The way he was talking about it, though . . . There's no way it's that simple."

Ethan gave Gavin an appreciative look. "I'm really sorry," he said to Jamie and Lucia, his voice much quieter than usual. "That's probably the last thing you wanted to hear right now."

IC - Tyler McKinley - Route 110, Bridge:

Smart girl. McKinley's smile eased into a smirk. "That's a very fair point," he said. "But look at it this way: Would you rather only have one insider's perspective through which to judge, with no counterbalance to the flaws and questions inevitably raised by it? Or would you rather have two, which you could then use as a baseline from which to draw your own conclusions?"

There was a brief pause as McKinley let this sink in. Then he closed his eyes, his expression brightening. "I can tell you one thing," he said. "Sonja and Ray had that same reaction until they heard my side of the story. And now they're both on board to help us out." He opened his eyes. "Sixth and Seventh Children, respectively. Which, since you mentioned it--you're right, we're not children, not anymore. It's a carryover from when we were recruited as kids. Of course, I can't tell you anything more about that without a clear indication that you're willing to listen."

Edited by Parugi

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

~ Rise of the Rockets (I II)/Discussion Topic/Side Stories ~

OOC: Fortree stuff awaiting a jam.

IC: Ellen/Paul

Paul had little to no experience with using telepathy, and as such he found it extremely difficult to conjure up a response to the Gardevoir's mental questions while also listening to the dialogue between his daughter and McKinley. Sonja and Ray were not names he recognized off the top of his head, but Ellen seemed to know them. Perhaps they had been at his house around Christmas, although Paul was quickly realizing that Ellen had made many more friends since the winter holidays. As a father, he felt terribly distanced from his child.

Ellen was stunned. A thousand questions littered her mind as she mulled over Tyler's words. "Sonja and Ray... they're on your side? I thought Sonja denounced her sister in Castelia. She didn't want anything to do with her." Chrono, for all his acts of stone-faced neutrality, appeared genuinely shocked at this tidbit of information. Where Ellen's friends placed their allegiance didn't concern him, of course. But to know that Sonja and Ray were now allied with the very people they had sworn to fight against -- well, the Purrloin could be forgiven if he let a little emotion slip. Even Isabella, who knew only what she had heard from Paul of Ellen's adventures, could feel the weight of this revelation.

As Paul watched the exchange with a growing feeling of helplessness, he mentally shook his head in response to the Gardevoir's question. McKinley was not with Team Rocket. The blacksmith was too distracted to form an adequate response to the second question, but he offered a brief mental image of what he knew: that Ford was a major client of Déoza (Paul's place of work), with an interest in stopping the Rocket-Liberty War. Even as his attention shifted back to Ellen, Paul realized that he was just as out of the loop as Xander. He hadn't seen his daughter in six months -- seven, not counting those few days around Christmas -- and as their battle had proven, she was a vastly different person now. He wanted to hold her, to comfort her, but he felt he barely knew her.

For a long moment Ellen was silent, deep in thought. Sonja was like the sister she never had. She trusted her. Ray, while he could be a little rash, had good intentions. She trusted him, too. Tyler she barely knew, but aside from being allied with Ford he seemed friendly enough. And her father, stubborn as he could be, clearly loved her. He worked with Ford. Ray worked with Ford. Sonja worked with Ford. And Tyler wasn't insisting she just blindly take his word. She was free to draw her own conclusions, taking both Hayes' side and McKinley's side into account. "Alright," she said. "I'll listen."

Konuju: Kopaka and Nuju meet the Spear of Fusion

Quotes from throughout the years:

2001: "Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer." --Nokama

2002: "Mata Nui faces perhaps its greatest challenge -- one that will test our courage, our strength, and our belief in each other." --Tahu

2003: "So... it has begun, my brother. But soon, it will also end..." --Makuta

2004: "Your journey must end." "By the will of the Great Spirit, it has just begun!" --Makuta and Vakama

2005: "Our destinies are not written in stone, set in place. They are something we have to find for ourselves." --Vakama

2006: "Don't you realize you're fighting for a lost cause?" "Maybe. But don't you realize those are the only ones worth fighting for?" --Axonn and Brutaka

2007: "Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory." --Hahli

2008: "Dive into the darkness, Ignite the flame within. Now, there is no turning back. Make the future... begin." --Narrator, The Final Battle Animation

2009: "It is said that all endings are merely beginnings waiting to be born." --Mata Nui

2010: "All journeys must come to an end, but this time, there is a new beginning as well. ... All that has gone before, my friends, has only served to give birth to this new day. Let unity, duty and destiny be your guides." --Mata Nui

2011: "Not dead. Just frozen. They’ll thaw out … eventually. I’m tired of villains spouting gibberish." --Kopaka

IC: Xander

Xander watched the conversation continue, his eyes still on McKinley. When Ellen agreed to listen, he relaxed only slightly. This could still turn ugly quickly, but he would trust her judgement for now. He gestured lightly, silently beckoning Fennekin to come up to his side. The fox was no fighter, and Xander wanted to grab her and get away quickly if necessary.

Gardevoir sent Paul another thought, an image. A lavender veil draping over everyone except McKinley, and then a flash to a large city with a tall, grand tower inside. A plan to teleport if necessary, a warning that it was a very long jump.

Fighting McKinley would be their last resort if all else failed.

IC: Belle

Why was it so rainy around here? Belle was once more soaked, and at this point, she had formed her cape into a make-shift hood in order to keep at least a little bit drier. Cyanide floated beside her, rain pinging off of his steel body once more.

Every now and again, the clouds would part, the sun shining down and giving the impression that the rain was over. This was Mother Nature playing a mean trick on the pokémon collector. As soon as she took her hood off and started to unfurl it, cold, wet drops would come blasting down again.

Luckily, though, she was almost to Lumios City. She could see the wall towering in the distance, the spire of Prism Tower peeking even over that. Once she got off of Laverre Nature Trail, she would be able to stay dry.

She made a face. Maybe she would take a short break and get her cape dry-cleaned. It had been dragging through the swamp for almost a week. At least she had Buckthorn to show for it. Not just a Goomy, but a uniquely colored Goomy. She grinned a bit. Hopefully he would keep his coloration through his evolutions.

All in all, it was definitely worth the trip. Now, she just had to get to Kanto and get her hands on that Snag Machine. Then her search for rare and unique pokémon would get so much easier.

IC: Alma

She was a weapon, a tool for killing. That was the entire point of her existence. Upon returning home, her master had given her a new envelope full of targets. Four, this time, scattered across Kanto region.

They would each die at her hands. They were on leave and retired, on a long mission and just finishing one. Each was expected to stay in one place for a few weeks minimum, giving the girl plenty of time to track them and kill them.

It would be difficult, for some. Their teams were all incredibly strong, and three of them were in populated areas where a murder would be noticed. She would have to lure them, bait them away from the populace before carrying out their execution.

Her master informed her that she was not sending a message, even though each of these men had dug into things he wanted kept quiet. She was just to silence them and be done with it. Nobody was to know why these men had been killed.

The girl, the assassin, would carry out the killings dutifully. She had to, because her master had asked so nicely after all. He had given her the envelope, let her look over the information on each, written in grey ink on the back of their pictures.

Once she was done, he had asked her in his smooth baritone, "Would you kindly kill those vermin?"

In response, she asked for her toys. A mere two hours after returning from the murder of Kai Stone, she was on the hunt once more. Her first target was Drake Masters, on leave in Lavender Town after a mission. Alma grinned as she flipped her knife in the air. She was going to try and hit him in the eye with it.

Edited by Unown Mercury

"So Alku, happy 'was that a firecracker or shotgun?' day!"

"Hard mode: I'm in the south."

"Planning was never Zac Blazer's forte." - Blade, mastering the art of the understatement.

"We'll have to change the initials of the RPG from RotR to PTSD." - Me, discussing Rise of the Rockets.

McKinley clapped his hands together. "Excellent. Now where to start . . ." He began to pace, pressing his pointer fingers together and placing them at his mouth as he thought. After some time, he stopped several feet from where he had originally stood, staring out into the veil of rain beyond the cover of the bridge.

"The best place, I think," he said at length. "Would be for you to tell me what you think we're doing. What the Second told you. What you've gleaned from your own experiences and observations. Can you do that, Ellen?" He nodded at Xander and Paul. "Honestly, it might help them understand the situation from your point of view a bit better, all things considered."

IC - Esen Windred - Signs Compound, Main Garage:

For a moment, it seemed as if Cero wouldn't agree to her suggestion. Esen could not necessarily blame him, but she also wasn't sure that she would have listened to him, in any case. True, she had no connection to anything happening here--no obligation to stop the illegal trafficking that was occurring before them, no reason to endanger herself when she could just as easily slip past and avoid any confrontation with these people. And it would have been simple: There was more than enough cover between the entrance to the garage and the door to make it there unnoticed--a cakewalk for someone with stealth training, easy enough for those without.

But that was just it: It was too simple. The distribution of guards made no sense, and she knew for certain that at least one person--White Coat--was still unaccounted for. More than likely, there would be guards--few of them, enough that Cero could handle them himself--beyond the doorway. They wouldn't be an issue if the infiltration worked out as well as she felt it would. But these ones, the remainder? They would be an issue, no matter how quickly or quietly Cero managed to locate and free Kyle. They would be alerted no matter what--whether through a battle in the halls, by sighting Cero and herself trying to sneak back out with Kyle, or by inevitably happening upon his holding cell, wherein they would alert the others to a break-out.

An engagement was all but certain. Best, then, to start it early and draw their attention away from the rest of the building. The only potential problem lay in the danger of having their escape route blocked, but even then, Esen felt that they would be fine as long as she was able to hold the guards' focus, if not beat them outright.

And she would. She knew she could beat them. It didn't matter how many showed up--she wouldn't let them win.

That ought to have been reason enough. But there was something else.

Esen didn't quite know how to describe it. She figured it was some sort of mental condition--likely something she needed to get checked out, if only she could bring herself to go against her mother's assurances that it was nothing to worry about. But whatever it was, she knew how it felt. And she knew it was not something she could necessarily control. It was something that she felt constantly, a pent-up rage that built over time and yearned to be released. It was a hyper-focus specialized towards combat--something that drove her forth at the best of times and the worst, directing her abilities in the most optimized way, almost autonomously. As if in those moments, something deep within herself clicked, and the very spirit of battle inhabited her mind and body, coexisting with her and directing her.

It was a rage, a focus, a creature whose origin she did not know, that yearned again for release. Her hands ached from clenching them so hard, a dead giveaway that this fight--this confrontation--an exercise--was exactly what she needed. And so those two words--those two magic words--could not have been sweeter if they had been sugar: "Take them."

Esen nodded.

"I'll get into position while you go through the door," she said. "After that, you've got five minutes to find a hiding place before I engage them. The ensuing alert should empty out most of those hallways, leaving you free to search until you find him." Esen placed a hand on the door, peering through. She scanned the room again, eyes cold and focused in the light that shone over them. "By the time you get back, less than four of these guys will be left standing. That's a promise."

IC - Victoire Coleman/Kyle Eston/Quentin Dallas - Signs Compound, Repurposed Meat Freezer:

A bright red light enveloped Golem, dragging him back into his Poké Ball at the same moment that another orb of equally bright red flew in from the hall, disappearing into Nidoqueen's.

Not again . . .

There was no question as to what had happened. It was the same thing that had occurred when she had initially left to speak with Shift, and what she presumed must have occurred whenever Kyle had come into conflict with them. Victoire still did not know how he had done it, but at the moment, that was not her primary concern. No; what was was the fact that she now supported a barely-conscious boy roughly her own height and of a heavier weight on her back, and her only source of protection against Shift had just been taken out of the equation.

Hindsight twenty-twenty, she mused. Guess I should've left when I had the chance . . . The clock still ticked. Victoire's thoughts barreled through her head as she tried to figure out how to deal with the situation. She turned her head, gently nudging Kyle. "Hey," she whispered. "I could really use your help right about now, pal." His only response was a feeble movement of his head, though Victoire noted that he did seem to be supporting himself somewhat with his feet. She wasn't sure that was enough to make a difference with the spot they were in, however.

The trainer cast her eyes about the room, thinking. "What to do . . . What to do . . ."

"Personally, I'd suggest surrendering, but that's just me."

Victoire's eyes darted back to the door. Shift approached from the entryway, left hand raised so as to maintain aim at her with his cane, the right lowered at his side, retreat device protruding from his clenched fist. As usual, a smug smile occupied his lips, a testament to his certain victory. She turned so that she faced him at a slight angle, keeping herself between him and Kyle. She glanced occasionally at the cane, though focused primarily on Shift himself, matching his gaze.

"By all means, though," he continued after a minute. "Make a move, Blondie. Give me an excuse to keep this going." Shift grinned. "Not gonna lie, I enjoy these little games. They make things so much more fun, wouldn't you say? Sure, after a while you start to see some repetition--mistakes pop up that should be obvious to even the most basic of players, the same escape plans get used again and again--but I've found that almost everyone still manages to add their own flavor and keep things new and fresh. It's . . ." He chuckled. "It's great. Really, it is."

"I bet it is," Victoire responded, her voice quiet as she slipped a hand into her pocket. "You're right--I probably should've known better than to rely on my Pokémon again." Her hand touched something plastic. She raised an eyebrow at Shift. "How do you do that little trick of yours, anyway? Magic? I've heard rumors that the Signs have a wizard or two in their employ."

"Are you trying to mock me?" Shift laughed. He tightened his grip on the cane's handle. "Are you positive that's what you want to be doing right now?"

Victoire was not fazed. "It's a genuine question."

"And why should I answer it? "

"Would it hurt anything to tell me a bit about it?" Victoire asked. She nodded at the cane, and then at Kyle. "I'm encumbered--weighed down by someone almost my height, at least twenty pounds heavier than I am, and pretty badly poisoned at this point. You've got the only weapon in the room." She looked Shift square in the eye. "I'm out of options here. Ergo, the least you can do is sate my curiosity. Unless you think I'm somehow capable of taking advantage of a tidbit of knowledge like that while there aren't any Pokémon around?"

For a moment, the Signs leader said nothing. Then he smiled. "Alright, why not?" he said. Shift lifted his hand, showing the small controller-like device to the woman. "Here's your answer, Blondie: A technological marvel, a prototype for what could potentially turn out to be a very, very deadly tool, delivered unto me by a dear friend with a particular knack for unusual designs and the brain and equipment necessary to put 'em together. 'Project WITHER,' she calls it." He flipped his bangs. "Forget the magic tricks--those are for the older horses in the stables, understand? I don't need those sorts of time-consuming, unpredictable light shows in my life when I can get so much more done with the proper tools."

"Hm." Victoire nodded at his cane. "Did this person put together the rest of your toys, too? The shock-canes, these cuffs, your toxin . . . Your outfit?" she added as an afterthought.

Shift smirked. "Just the retreat button, sweetheart," he said. "Everything else is my design, aside from the canes. What did you think was my main claim to authority?" Despite his words, an air of annoyance had overtaken him halfway through her previous dialogue, as if he had been reminded of something particularly bothersome. "At any rate, Princess, I'm afraid that's all the time that I can spare for questions. Puzzle wants us out of here as soon as possible, and I still have beef with the two of you, so . . ." He nodded to the door. "If you'd be so kind as to get moving, that'd be great."

"Wait," Victoire said, pushing him as earnestly as possible. "I just have one more thing, and then I'll go with you."

"I'm not answering another--"

"It's not a question."

"Then what--?"

"Think fast!"

She whipped her hand out of her pocket, hurling her sunglasses at Shift's face. In his surprise and move to get out of the way, he stumbled, simultaneously squeezing the trigger of the cane out of instinct. The electrified nodes shot forward, too far to the right to hit Victoire. The combined misfire and stumbling provided her with ample opportunity to gauge the trajectory of the projectiles, wrapping her hand in the insulated cords and pulling. This worked far better than she had expected: In what was perhaps a testament to the quality of the cane's design, the cords did not rip free from their inner connection points as Victoire had expected. Instead, she managed to pull the weapon out of Shift's grasp, launching it toward herself.

Victoire stepped back and caught it, immediately retracting the wires and nodes and taking aim.

The sunglasses had clattered and broken against the floor by the time Shift regained his balance, righting himself just in time to find his own stun gun pointed directly at him. He narrowed his eyes, raising his hands very slightly. For several moments, neither of them said a word, instead only staring each other down. Then, Shift pointed. "You're gonna give that back, Princess. Right now."

"And give you back your only weapon?" Victoire asked. "Why in the world would I do something like that?"

"Because if you don't, I'm going to take it myself," Shift replied. "And neither of us will like it if I have to do that."

"How exactly do you plan on doing that, Dallas?" She gave him a hard look, challenging him to dare take a step forward. She held up her other hand, in which she held a Poké Ball. "You left all of our supplies within reach--mistake number one. Considering the amount of arrogance that that kind of stunt would take, I'm willing to bet that this thing is the only real weapon you carry on you. And you won't risk putting away that retreat button, right? You wouldn't even use Pokémon against me when you had grunts and the big guy with you, let alone two injured and unconscious ones who aren't even in the same room as you." He merely glared at her in response, utterly silent. Victoire returned the look in full, though her expression at least softened after a minute. "That's what I thought. Now, do you want to keep to your schedule still? Because if so, you'd better get going. You can tell them we got out before you got here, if that makes it any better."

"I'm not leaving without that stick, Blondie." When she still did not budge, Shift clenched the bridge of his nose in exasperation. "Alright, fine, how about this--if you give it to me, I'll send the both of you on your way. I'll even pay for your little pal to get the proper medical attention he needs." He gave her a brief once-over. "I'd offer the same to you, except it doesn't look like my toxin had any effect whatsoever on you. Not even going to bother trying to figure out how you managed that."

"Thanks for the offer, but you'll have to forgive me for not believing you," Victoire said. "Here's an idea, if it's that important to you: I have some questions that I want answered. Serious questions. Answer them, and promise to let us go, and maybe I'll consider giving it back."

"Fine. I'll answer to the best of my ability. Just make it quick--you know my schedule."

Victoire fell silent. She hadn't expected him to agree to that, and certainly not so quickly. Either he was lying, and didn't intend to hold up to his end of the bargain, or he really was that desperate to get his cane back. In any case, something didn't feel right--which meant that she needed to add that to her list of what she wanted to know about . . .

"Alright, to start with . . . Why do you want this back so badly?"

The look that Shift gave her could only be described as one that might be given to an adult who did not know the number to dial for 911 services. "That's your first 'serious question'?" He shook his head. "Freakin' . . . It's my badge of office. Simple as that--we all have one, that one's mine, I want it back. I'm not about to become known as the guy who lost another one of our prized possessions."

"'Another one'?" Victoire repeated. "Sounds like someone in your little gang hasn't been very careful. Can't say I'm surprised, all things considered--someone down the line's bound to wind up being a little less careful than all the rest."

"More like we've had a string of leaders with stickier fingers than the thieves they've employed," Shift spat. He nodded at his cane. "That one you're holding isn't the original. Some schmuck named Lane Garnet--the Shift before last--made off with it around nineteen or twenty years ago and it hasn't been seen since. My pal Rask--"

"He the big guy you were working with? He had a cane just like yours."

"That 'big guy' just so happens to be the current Puzzle, Blondie. Show some respect." Shift shook his head. "Regardless, same deal. Riddle--same again, only no one's got any idea when that one vanished. Only one left is Clue's Symbol."

Puzzle, Riddle, and Clue . . . So there's the quartet. "Puzzle is Rask, you're Shift, so what are the other leaders's names?"

"Are you asking because you're curious, or do you have actual business with them?" Victoire looked confused at this. Shift placed a hand on his hip. "That's current information, Sweetheart--not something I'm at liberty to share with just whoever, not even as a leader for this 'little operation.' Especially not with someone from outside the organization, let alone the entirety of Kalos. Wouldn't have bothered with Rask, either, except you've already seen him, so who cares?" Shift narrowed his eyes. "Why don't you answer a question for me really quick?" he demanded. "How can you possibly know who I am and what my title is, plus the fact that there are four of us and that we pass our titles on, but not know anything about the other three?"

"Your guards weren't exactly subtle about your title when they were bringing me here, for one," Victoire said. "For two--do you think you're the only one who can recognize a face from the news? You've done time. I've seen your mugshot. And you'd be surprised to know that I have some strong connections in Kalos, which certainly helps with that kind of information. Which brings me to answer three--and, incidentally, my next question: The notes of a man named Aldric Timur." At this, Shift raised an eyebrow. Victoire took that as confirmation for what she suspected, though opted to check even further. "He wasn't very thorough, but he mentioned a few organizational details, like the 'four leaders' thing. What was his connection to the Signs?"

"Oh, boy . . ." Shift shook his head, chuckling. "You want the truth?" He leaned forward, smiling as broadly as if he was about to reveal some great secret. "He was one of the Signs' leaders a few cycles ago. A former Puzzle, actually, and the one who started our fall from grace. Those Symbols that have gone missing? He's the one who started that trend--took the Symbol of Pestilence when he left, and ever since then, things have just gotten worse and worse for us." He turned his head. "In other words, the guy's a total scumbag." He could hardly contain his laughter. "Probably a good thing he kept those notes vague, otherwise someone with connections might've found 'em and pieced together what he was talking about. That wouldn't been pretty. How'd you end up with them, huh?"

Victoire fell quiet for a moment, thinking about this. "He was my great-grandfather," she said pointedly. "Do the math." Shift grinned even wider at this, only further exacerbating her lack of amusement--a response formed more from the excessive insults than from the information itself. Those emotions aside, she was beginning to understand what she had read about--how it all connected together, as well as what the implications were. 

She paused. "What do these 'Symbols' look like? Any idea what they're made of? Notable markings?" Victoire stopped for a moment. "And why that name--'Symbols?'"

"Couldn't answer that if I wanted to," Shift said. "Except for that last part. It's all in our mythos, Princess, you might wanna read up on it sometime--you might learn something. Suffice it to say, we take a bit of an interest in allegory, and those are our way of doing so." He stretched his arms out slightly, smirking. "Consider it our way of declaring the world to be our playing field--and who better to represent that sort of chaos and freedom than the Four Harbingers?" Shift's shoulders sagged. "Who knows--maybe their flight from the Signs is connected to the fact that we lose more and more ground with each vanishing Horseman. That's what the oldies say, anyway."

He smirked as Kyle coughed from behind Victoire, a sharp reminder to both that there was a third, unconscious party in the room. Shift glanced back at Victoire. "Yeah, that's it--your little magic comment earlier's actually very fitting, considering at least two of the others believe these things to have mystical properties of some kind. Me, personally?" he said, taking a slow step forward. "I like to think that it's more the natural progression of things, caused by the growing, foolhardy courage of people like you--an increasing willingness to overstep boundaries and insult people who really shouldn't be insulted, you insignificant little--!"

The glint of malice appeared in his eye a moment after he uttered the word but before he began to lunge for the cane. It was lucky, then, that she was prepared. Victoire's fingers squeezed around the trigger, launching the electrodes point-blank into Shift's stomach. He froze up as electricity coursed through his body, sending him toppling over seconds later. As he lay immobile on the ground, waiting for the last vestiges of the circuit to end, Victoire approached, glaring down at him with clear disdain. Without a single word, she kicked him square in the jaw, dazing him and effectively knocking him out.

"Never use that word again," she spat. With a disgusted shake of her head, she tossed his cane aside. It smacked against the floor before coming to a stop against the wall, out of arm's reach of Shift. After pocketing his dropped retreat button and releasing Golem again as a vanguard, Victoire headed out, doing the best that she could to support Kyle's weight as she led him away from their former prison.

Edited by Parugi

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

Paul sent a single word through his mental connection with Xander's Gardevoir: Wait. Although McKinley's strange... fascination with Ellen was unnerving, the Déoza blacksmith found himself highly curious as to what Ellen's thoughts on everything were. Perhaps it was guilt: he had refused to listen to her before, so maybe by listening to her now, he could somehow mend their broken relationship. He could maybe learn something about the girl standing before him. The girl he thought he knew.

Ellen took a moment to gather her thoughts. "To be honest, I'm not really sure what to make of you," she said. "Let me start in Castelia. Hayes... the Second... Sophia... she kidnapped me and Sonja. Her sister." Ellen closed her eyes, grimacing at the memory. "She acted sympathetic, but she left us there to die -- and we would have, if it weren't for Suicune's sacrifice. She told me you were trying to stop the war.. a war that until I had started my journey from Accumula Town, I knew nothing about."

The young girl paused for a moment to shoot a hard look at her father. Paul felt a pit in his stomach. "I... I only wanted to protect you, sweetheart..."

"I agreed with Ford's intentions," Ellen continued, turning back to face McKinley. "However, I couldn't bring myself to condone his methods. Blowing up a city -- occupied or not -- is not how you stop a war. Add to that everything my friends have told me about Ford, how he's responsible for the deaths of so many people. I became convinced that there had to be a way to stop the war peacefully. But now... I'm not so sure." The girl lowered her eyes to the ground, overcome with melancholy. "It took something as horrible as the Ancient Darkrai to convince the leaders of Team Rocket and Team Liberty to announce a ceasefire; and even then, no one knows how long it will last. There's even people, like the girl responsible for what happened in Sootopolis, who would rather see the war continue. Even my friends in Team Liberty still distrust the Rocket government. I... I don't know who to believe anymore. Everyone believes they're doing the right thing -- including myself -- but we can't all be right." She thought back to the old folk tales she'd heard growing up, about Unova's heroes. "Am I trying too hard to seek the truth while clinging to ideals? Is that too much to ask?"

Paul remained silent. For the first time, he felt he truly understood why Ellen had run away. She had always had a heart for others... she tried so much to help... and he had pushed her away when she'd needed him most. For six months he had blamed Ellen for tearing their family apart. Only now did he realize it was because he had been too scared to blame himself.

2001: "Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer." --Nokama

2002: "Mata Nui faces perhaps its greatest challenge -- one that will test our courage, our strength, and our belief in each other." --Tahu

2004: "Your journey must end." "By the will of the Great Spirit, it has just begun!" --Makuta and Vakama

2005: "Our destinies are not written in stone, set in place. They are something we have to find for ourselves." --Vakama

2006: "Don't you realize you're fighting for a lost cause?" "Maybe. But don't you realize those are the only ones worth fighting for?" --Axonn and Brutaka

2007: "Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory." --Hahli

2008: "Dive into the darkness, Ignite the flame within. Now, there is no turning back. Make the future... begin." --Narrator, The Final Battle Animation

2009: "It is said that all endings are merely beginnings waiting to be born." --Mata Nui

2010: "All journeys must come to an end, but this time, there is a new beginning as well. ... All that has gone before, my friends, has only served to give birth to this new day. Let unity, duty and destiny be your guides." --Mata Nui

2011: "Not dead. Just frozen. They’ll thaw out … eventually. I’m tired of villains spouting gibberish." --Kopaka

Ellen's train of thought accompanied the gradual closing of McKinley's eyes. He maintained his clasped-hand pose all throughout her narrative, listening and thinking. As she finished, his eyes eased open, and he turned to look at her. A seriousness that had not been there before now occupied the two golden globes, and the positioning of his hands effectively hid what remained of his smile.

"I'm sorry to say that conflict lies at the heart of all things within life," he said at last. "War is merely the outward expression of that conflict. That in mind . . . what if I told you that there was a way of removing the components of war from the world?"

McKinley began to pace again, glancing occasionally at the bottom of the bridge that loomed above him. He seemed, for all intents and purposes, engrossed in his own thoughts, not seeming to be looking for a real response from Ellen yet. "It is not a peaceful operation, I'm sorry to say. There are some a little too stubborn for negotiations to truly succeed. Team Liberty and Team Rocket are not those people, as you have seen. They have, at the very least, taken the first steps necessary to peaceful resolution of their problems, and together, they annihilated the single greatest threat that mankind has ever faced."

He stopped, looking at Ellen with a somber expression. "They are one of the exceptions. The others, the ones who will not listen . . . Well, they do require more extreme action. That's why I'm here. That's why Ford and Hayes are here. We act to remove these elements so that others do not have to, and so that those that remain--those who will listen--can act and come to terms with their issues." McKinley frowned now, the first time such an expression had appeared on his face. "I can't say we're too happy with that lot in life, however. It's . . . not kosher, so to speak. And with the growing trouble, we fear our efforts may be in vain."

McKinley began pacing again, his gaze now locked on the ground. He appeared truly troubled, as if something terribly heavy weighed on his mind. As if to emphasize this, the rain picked up for a brief moment, thundering against the bridge. "We do not condone Hayes's actions. They were unnecessary violence that fit more within the realm of that which we aim to be rid of. But you've seen the world now, Ellen, so perhaps you'll understand when I say that there are worse things than simply war--than confusion and conflict. Things more horrid than the work that we are forced to do. Things more terrible than the Ancient Darkrai."

His gaze passed over the group. "And if there was one benefit to what Hayes did, it was this: It was another step toward camaraderie between now only Teams Liberty and Rocket, but Plasma, as well. And that is what we need for what is coming: Something so terrible that I cannot even speak of it to others without first receiving a binding word from them that they will help us do the one thing that will prevent its presence in the world."

He held up his hands, nine fingers outstretched. "Nine Children. Nine willing Children, all with the strength to put their full selves forward for the greater good. That's all it takes. We have eight so far. We require only one more before we can proceed, before we can join together and eradicate conflict from the world once and for all." McKinley's smile returned. "The Hojohsin League seeks peace, Ellen. I think you know this, deep down. That's why I've come today: To offer you a place amongst us, as the Ninth Child. All it takes is your word and a day, and we can change the world for the better--and ensure its future in the process."

McKinley dropped a hand, holding out the other. "What do you say?"

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

OOC: Jam with Alku and Blade

IC: Ryan/Evan/Jenny/Ray
"I see," Ryan said, trying his best to hide his disappointment. "Well, if you happen to--"

The Liberty agent gave a yelp of pain as Ray grabbed him by the wrist and firmly pulled him toward the door. Jenny sighed in slight exasperation as she looked over at the Garvens apologetically, and then followed her brother. Evan followed suit, waving good bye to the Garvens as he walked out. He wasn't really surprised at what Ray had done, but he could have been a little more polite about it.

The moment they were out the door, Ryan wrenched his arm free from Ray's grip. "What was that for?" he asked heatedly. "I was saying goodbye!"

Ray sighed, and looked over pointedly. "After spending half an hour more doing so..." He understood why Ryan wanted to know all these things, but he was still a little annoyed at it. "Harassing them isn't going to get us any answers, you know. I would've dragged you out earlier if you hadn't asked about Ellen just now."

"We learned all we needed to know from them anyways." Evan said as he rubbed his forehead. "We have no idea where Ellen could be, so we've gotta figure out our next move."

Ryan scoffed. "Learned all we needed to know? We didn't learn squat." He sighed, slipping his hands into his pockets as he gave Evan an apologetic look. "I'm sorry, it's just... I don't understand how they couldn't have known Melanie and Melissa. I was so sure they lived here."

Jenny cleared her throat, to try and remind the others she was still there. "It's possible there's something weird about that. But it's kind of a bit obvious that they didn't remember them, for whatever reason," she said, as she looked over at Ryan.

"It's fine, Ryan." Evan said, looking over at the Liberty trainer. "There's something else going on with these Sins. Especially if the Garvens somehow forgot about Melissa and Melanie. Questions for later. What's our plan, Ryan?"

"I don't know." The Liberty agent hung his head in defeat. "We're back to square one. The only thing I can think of would be to ask around town. Ellen made quite the impression on some of the townsfolk over the past six months; they might be able to give us some clue as to where she is." Even as he explained his strategy, Ryan could already feel the others' exasperation at the thought of bombarding more innocent people with an arsenal of questions. "We, um, might want to split up, to cover more ground. We'll meet back at my place tonight." With a sheepish wave, Ryan started to walk away, eager to distance himself from Evan's, Jenny's, and Ray's criticisms.

Ray sighed, as he shook his head, and followed Ryan quickly. "Yo, I'm going with you," he said, keeping pace surprisingly well.

Ryan paused as Ray followed two steps behind him. Why did it have to be him? he grumbled. Turning around, he looked the orange-haired trainer in the eye. "Did you not hear what I just said? It'll go faster if we split up."

"Yeah?" The Separatist put his hands behind his head as he walked. "Doesn't mean everyone else is coming with us." Ray looked over to Ryan with a slight frown, as he wondered what was up with him right then.

Ryan shrugged and looked over at Evan and Jenny. "You two okay with that?"

Jenny nodded in response. "It's fine with me. No need to have all four of us split up; twice as fast is good enough."

"I'm fine with this idea." Evan said, nodding. "Let's see what we can do about this situation to make it better, huh?"

Ryan chuckled. "Yeah, we'll just have to try our best. Good luck, you two." With a hint of a smile, Ryan turned back to Ray. "Come on," he said, trusting the Separatist to keep pace. "Let's see what we can find."

Ray nodded with a slight smile and followed, wondering what they might actually find out, if anything.

"Absolutely not."

The words coming out of Paul's mouth were more a reaction than anything, and the blacksmith took a moment to regain his composure before continuing.

"I have spent the past three months trying to find my daughter, to piece my family back together. I will not have her taken from me again so soon." Paul knelt by his daughter's side, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Ellen, please. You promised you'd come home. You don't have to go save the world, or whatever it is this McKinley guy wants you to do. Think of your family."

Ellen remained quiet as she turned from McKinley to her father, a glistening look appearing in her not-so-innocent eyes. She desperately wished she could consult Duo; although the psychic-type's split mind irritated her to no end, Duo had always been her closest friend. But the Duosion was asleep in a Pokéball, recovering from the battle against Bisharp.

Isabella, the poor Oddish Ellen held in her arms, didn't know enough to offer anything more than a worried croon. Chrono remained as indifferent as ever. And she couldn't trust Terry, even though the Herdier's pleading eyes tugged at her heartstrings. Ellen forced herself to look back at Tyler, staring at his outstretched hand.

She was at war with herself. She hated the thought of eradicating those too stubborn to seek peace. And yet... how many lives would have been spared if Hannah Wright had been stopped before she could launch her assault on Sootopolis? How many families would still have a home? If Gerald Hikari had been stopped before his scheme could unfold, two families would have been spared endless suffering... as well as thousands of innocent people in southeast Unova.

Yes... she realized now how silly it was to think that the war could end without anyone getting hurt. That was nothing but the foolish dream of an innocent child. The wreckage in Unova and Sootopolis was proof enough to lay that dream to rest.

But on the other hand... she had already run away from her family once in an attempt to bring about a lasting peace. And in doing so, she had subjected her parents to untold grief. At the time, Ellen had willingly chosen to ignore the effect her absence had on her parents. But now she had seen her father's tears firsthand. Could she really abandon him a second time?

Ellen weighed her options. If she declined McKinley's offer and went home after doing what she could to help Celadon, Ford would just find a new Ninth Child. Ellen would go on with her life, blissfully unaware of whatever it was Tyler couldn't tell her. Her family would be together again, and if Ford was successful, the world would know peace. If she accepted the offer and took up the mantle of Ninth Child, she'd be given the opportunity to do what she'd always wanted: to help bring peace to the world. In exchange for peace, however, she risked breaking her father's heart again. Was it worth that risk? Would it not be easier to let Ford choose someone else? But Ford had chosen her; or at least, Tyler had. There had to be a reason for that. She hated the idea of running off again after she'd said she'd go home. But this wouldn't be like last time. She wouldn't be gone another six months. Tyler had said it would only take a day. Was that really too much to ask?

At long last, Ellen spoke up. "One day."

"Ellen, don't do this," Paul pleaded. "You're not the Ninth Child... you're my child."

Ellen wrapped an arm around her father and gently kissed his cheek. "I'm sorry, Daddy..." For a long moment she held the embrace. Then with a heavy heart, she pulled herself away and turned to meet McKinley's golden eyes. Her hand reached out and hovered over Tyler's open palm. She chose her next words very carefully. "I'll give you a day. But then I need to go home. I don't want Mommy and Daddy worrying about me; I've been away from them for too long. If you can agree to that... then I'll give you my word."

As she looked up at Tyler, Ellen once again recalled Hayes' haunting words. For the first time, she felt she truly understood what the Second Child had meant. The corner of her lip curled into a hint of a smile.

"It's about time I realized my potential."

IC: Dahlia/Aspen/Olivia Seaton

The three Seaton siblings waited at the front of the mansion with Zach, waiting for when Ryan would turn up again. Olivia held Zach's hand as it was standard to do so again, and Dahlia stood next to Aspen, though the latter seemed distant and distracted somehow. All three of them turned their heads in surprise as they heard footsteps coming from behind them, confirming their suspicion that it was indeed Ryan Hikari.

"Oh, there you are!" Dahlia replied, smiling at the sight of the older Hikari, but then blinked in confusion. "Didn't you say you were going to visit Lucia? We were waiting for you to walk in from the front...." 

Aspen looked up, and scratched the back of his head. "Hmm. Yeah, that is pretty odd, unless you went through the back exit or something..." he replied, shaking his head. "Nah, that wouldn't work... Hmm, but then why else would you-"

"I think I know why..." Olivia spoke up, interrupting Aspen. She turned to Ryan, raising an eyebrow, seeming amused about something. "That Shannon girl, she's being held here to recover from her injuries... Kinda had a hunch you had a fancy for her, didn't want to leave her hanging, did you now?" the redheaded trainer said, grinning.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

-==IC: Ryan==-

Ryan seemed confused at Olivia's words, and tilted his head slightly. "Huh?" He finished processing what the others had said, and paused for a moment. "Oh. What she said is part right. I was stressing Shannon out when we talked the first time, so I told her I'd visit later to talk more. Also wanted to tell her I was leaving; but she was asleep when I got there, and I might have accidentally dozed off myself, 'cause I didn't get good sleep last night." He scratched his head slightly, but shrugged. "Plus... I kinda still feel a bit bad. I put her in there, even if she was the one who made the decision. Had to at least say goodbye." He was a bit brief in that part of the explanation, and did not mention how they swapped Pokegear numbers. He wasn't even sure whether she even wanted to talk to him after how the last talk ended.

"Anyway, I'm gonna send Lucia a message now; no use delaying us any more." The black haired man said, as he pulled out his Pokegear, and began to type up a message. Zach looked over curiously, but didn't comment just yet, and instead looked over to Olivia first, and then Aspen. The quietness of the youngest trainer there troubled the auburn haired trainer, but yet, he had no idea of what to say to him, either.

IC: Olivia/Dahlia/Aspen Seaton

Olivia listened as Ryan went on about Shannon, nodding with the grin still on her face. "Mm-hmm, yeah, alright, ladies' man." she said, smirking a bit more. "I can tell, you'll be on each other's minds until you see each other again... You do seem pretty apologetic after all, but she doesn't care... Isn't love beautiful?" the eldest Seaton asked, snickering.

"Hey, she forgave you, right, Ryan?" Dahlia pointed out, smiling. "So don't worry about it, we'll head to Snowpoint, and then you can see her again, and it'll be fine." the gardener reassured Ryan, placing a hand on his shoulder. 

Aspen looked up, and blinked, noticing Zach looking at him, and paused. "Umm, Zach, there's uh, can I ask you for advice on something, maybe...?" the youngest Seaton asked in a quiet voice, as he gripped a certain Pokeball, seeming hesitant about what to do with it.

Ryan gave Olivia an unamused look, but sighed, resigned to the teasing. "Yeah, yeah, focus on the sibling you're actually dating." Ryan retorted with a smirk, but looked over to Dahlia with a scratch of his head. "She forgave me, but no matter what, we're still just friends. Will be nice to actually talk, kinda, though..." He grew quiet, as he didn't want to think about anything else for a multitude of reasons.

Zach looked over curiously, as he caught a glimpse of the Pokeball that Aspen was carrying. "Sure... I'll give it my best shot..." He waited for a moment, and smiled reassuringly. "Really, just fire away... I'll try to give advice the best I can, alright...?" He wondered what was up with the Pokeball, however.

IC: Olivia/Dahlia/Aspen

Olivia raised an eyebrow at Ryan's resigned tone, but still smirked "Yeah, I'll do that when you focus on your girlfriend more, Ryan." she replied, not about to give up just because Ryan brushed her off.

Dahlia blinked, and shook her head "N-no, I didn't say you were well, not-just friends, I was just trying to-" the middle Seaton said, slightly panicked at Ryan's interpretation of her words. "Well, you still seemed upset over what happened, I wanted to tell you again things would be okay, was all...."

"....Thanks. I... Well...." Aspen paused, and realized he was actually carrying the Pokeball, and showed it to Zach. "B-back in Sootopolis, Ellen tried to rescue an Eevee in a burning building, remember...?" he asked, since Zach checked up on the two of them. "Well, I named her Saya. I put Saya in this Pokeball, and healed her at the Pokemon Center. Thing is, I uh...." the youngest Seaton sighed, and looked down at the Pokeball. "She was scared of Ellen when she tried to help, and scared of me when I tried to help..." Aspen explained, running a few fingers over the scratches the Eevee had left on his face the day before. "I was wondering if you were good with Pokemon, so I could maybe figure out how to help Saya more.."

Ryan gave Olivia another look, but scratched his head at Dahlia. "No worries, makes sense now." He said to the young gardener, and smiled. "Less upset than last night, that's for sure." He shrugged, not thinking there was much else to talk about there.

Zach scratched his head as he listened to what the young trainer had to say. "Well... I can certainly try." He said with a smile. "I'm not sure entirely how I can help, but I can at least attempt to do something..."

IC: Olivia/Aspen/Dahlia Seaton

"Hmm. Not as upset? What, did you two already confess?" Olivia asked, pressing on with her teasing. "It's just like some movie, as you wallow in rock bottom, a light shines through and you find love... Or something like that."

Aspen nodded to Zach, and sighed. "Anything would help, I-I'm afraid I won't be good enough a trainer for Saya...." the young boy muttered, and looked down, speaking again more softly. "Maybe I should have left her with Ellen. Maybe she would know what to do better than me..."

The middle Seaton looked around at everyone, noticing they were all gathered. "S-so, now's about time to leave, I think?" Dahlia asked, trying to get everyone's attention. "Anyone, uh, even have an idea of how to get to Snowpoint...?"

-==IC: Ryan/Zach==-

Zach looked up in slight surprise. "Don't say that; you're plenty good enough." He smiled reassuringly, as he placed a hand on the young boy's shoulder. "Just don't try to rush things, alright?" He also chuckled slightly. "Plus, I dunno about her knowing better... Didn't you see her and Chrono?"

"Oh, is your life a movie then?" Ryan retorted, as he glanced over at Dahlia. "Hmm... well..." The black haired trainer scratched his head for a moment, and then tried to think. Zach, however, caught the part about how to get to Snowpoint.

"Oh, we've gotta go to Lilycove to catch the boat to Snowpoint. I think the closest port is Vermillion... I can have Blade teleport us there, since we've been there a couple times recently." The auburn haired trainer piped up, as Ryan looked over, unsure whether that worked, but nodded in agreement, as Zach sent out his Gallade.

IC: Aspen/Olivia/Dahlia Seaton

Aspen blinked when Zach put his hand on his shoulder, and looked up, nodding slightly at his words. "...Fair enough, yeah, Chrono was..." he replied, before sighing. "Alright. Thanks, I"ll... I'll try to help Saya. I think I can do it..." 

Olivia raised an eyebrow, blinking confusedly at Ryan's comment. "Uhh, I'm sorry?" she said, not really getting what Ryan's retort was supposed to be. Soon after though, Zach explained how they would have to go to Vermillion, and nodded. "Alright. I don't think I'd know where to find the ferries there, so you'l'l have to lead the way."

"Vermillion... Got it." Dahlia said, smiling slightly. "Yeah. Lilycove's a pretty special place too, it's actually where Mom and Dad first met..." the gardener, explained, looking over at Olivia. "And where you got your middle name from."

Olivia nodded again, rubbing the back of her head. "....Olivia Lily Seaton, yep. That's me...." the trainer replied sheepishly, before blinking. "...Huh. I don't think I ever got your middle names, or maybe I forgot?" she said, looking at Ryan, then Zach.

Ryan smirked widely at her confusion, but blinked, as she asked about the middle names. "Uh..." The black haired trainer scratched his head for a moment. "Well, my middle name is Matthew." He said with a shrug. He looked over at Zach, who seemed to be focusing on helping Aspen, and tapped him on the shoulder.

"Huh? Oh, right, middle names. Mine is Yuuki." Zach said with a smile, as he nodded to his Gallade, who enveloped the group in a glow, and teleported the group a couple towns over...

IC: Aspen/Dahlia/Olivia Seaton

Aspen looked up again, as people had just began talking about middle names. Before he did so, though, Zach's Gallade teleported them to Vermillion rather quickly, catching the young trainer off guard and leaving him slightly disoriented. The youngest Seaton nearly dropped Saya's Pokeball, but he snapped to and caught it the moment his fingers slipped, breathing hard afterwards. "....Oh. Uh, middle names, mine's Benedict..." Aspen spoke up, rubbing the back of his head, hoping no one caught his near-accident. "Which is my Dad's name, so that's cool...."

Dahlia nodded, not disoriented and having braced for the teleportation. "Uh-huh! And my middle name's June!" she said, before pausing. "Though... Poppy really wanted it to be Jane. He acts like that's my middle name, actually, even though officially, it's June..." the gardener shared, giggling lightly at that anecdote. "Matthew and Yuuki, though? Those are good names..."

Olivia nodded, looking over at Zach. "Yeah. That's  the name, how could I have forgotten?" she said, squeezing his hand and smiling. "Always thought it sounded nice...." the redhead muttered, before looking around at Vermillion. "....Hmm. Can't say I can see the port from here, should probably get a map, unless you or your brother knows the way around..."

Zach was about to respond, when Ryan spoke up first. "We'll use the map on my Pokegear." The eldest sibling said, as he ignored the look of protest from Zach. "From the looks of it, it's this way." He stated, as he walked in the direction of the port. After a little while of walking, the group reached the area, but found it filled with people. "Where are they all going...?" The black-haired trainer wondered, as he frowned, and sighed. "We might be waiting here for a while..."

IC: Dahlia Seaton

"A while, huh...?" Dahlia repeated to herself, turning to everyone. "Um, in case you all don't mind, I think I might go take a walk, and uh, just take in the sights..." the gardener said, looking at the others. Both her siblings seemed caught off guard by that request, but nodded.

"Sure, Dahlia, I'll give you a call when the crowd gets smaller." Olivia replied, smiling at her sister. "Just take care, alright? I don't want a repeat of Alistair..." the redheaded trainer muttered to herself, still upset over that incident.

Aspen nodded in agreement, and hugged Dahlia. "Yeah... Um, stay safe..." he said, moving back and looking down, still seeming a bit hesitant to make eye contact with the others.

Dahlia smiled at her siblings, and turned to the Hikaris. "Right. I'll be back when you tell me to return, don't worry..." she reassured everyone present, and began walking in a different direction. It wasn't long until she was out of sight from the others, and that was when her smile disappeared, and the middle Seaton sighed, a look of solemn and confusion on her face. So very much had happened in the last few days, and she was finding herself stuck, unable to fully process most of the new information. Dahlia frowned slightly, but kept walking, ending up at a beach not too far away from the ports. First her eyes turned to the ocean, taking in the calm crashing of the waves, staying there for a long time. Then the gardener turned her head, and kept walking, as she saw a girl who appeared to be about her age, with golden-brown hair and brown eyes, sitting on a rock. Dahlia followed her gaze, as that girl too was looking towards the horizon, still walking as she did so. 

Ryan looked over curiously as Dahlia walked off, and wondered what that was all about. That doesn't seem like her... I wonder if something's up... He thought, frowning for a moment, before he turned his attention back to the rest of the group.

----

The girl that Dahlia noticed was looking over the waves. She took a deep breath, and smiled slightly, before she paused, and glanced over in Dahlia's direction. The girl stood up, with a curious blink, as she waved over to the gardener, motioning for her to come closer.

Dahlia looked around at the beach, her melancholy expression still present, until she noticed the girl over by the rocks try to catch her attention. The gardener blinked, and was briefly confused, still walking over to the brown-eyed girl. She smiled at the stranger, waving slightly, though the concern didn't disappear from the gardener's face. "H-hi..." Dahlia said quietly, trying to be friendly even as she was sad and unsure of what to do.

-==???==-

The girl seemed confused at the gardener's concern, but looked over at the water again. "It's very calming, isn't it...?" She asked, as she inwardly wondered what was causing the other girl to be distressed. She looked back over with a smile, however. "Do you go to the beach often? I find that it's very good at calming nerves..."

"Yeah... I like the beach. Easy to reach when you're from Olivine...." Dahlia responded, giggling quietly. "M-maybe that's why I'm here now, to calm my nerves... Oh, but I shouldn't bother you with my problems." the gardener said, looking at the friendly girl with a small smile still. "My name's Dahlia... What's yours?" she asked. Dahlia didn't know who this brown-haired girl was, but she was being very friendly so far, something Dahlia appreciated.

-==???==-

The girl didn't respond for a moment, as she continued to gaze over the water, but then looked over with a smile. "My name's Taylor. You have a pretty nice name; it's like the flower, right?" She asked curiously, as she scratched her head for a moment. "So, you're from Olivine...? That's pretty far, are you traveling like me? I had thought you were a local here..." The girl said sheepishly, but then looked down curiously, as she noticed some Pokeballs on the other girl's belt. "You're a trainer?" Taylor asked, as she looked back up, sorta impressed. "Well... a battle can sometimes calm my nerves too... though, usually the water helps more." She giggled, as she stretched a bit. "Wanna try a battle, though? Might help you too."

Dahlia looked curiously at the girl named Taylor, nodding to her questions. "Like the flower, it's what happens when your Mom's a gardener... I uh, was traveling with my siblings, and our friends, have been doing so for the last few days..." the gardener answered, giggling slightly as she did, blinking when Taylor asked her second question. "....W-well just so you know, I'm not really as good as battling as my brother or sister..." she said, rubbing the back of her head slightly. However, the middle Seaton thought back to Coco's excellent performance in Celadon yesterday, and pondered. "...I could try a battle, though, maybe it'll work like you said..." she replied, nodding and gripping her Buneary's Pokeball, and looked around awkwardly. "Though uh, do we just battle here, or is there someone else that's better...?"

IC: Cero swallowed.

He had known something was off about Esen since the start--in fact, there had been nothing about Esen that was normal since the start. But there was abnormality and there was aberration. The look in her eyes was nowhere near natural, nowhere near excitement to survive; she looked more excited to predate. That was far worse than terror could have been, and he had now idea how she obtained it. He knew now the good news, that sending her to fight against a dozen men would not result in her death.

The bad news was that it might well result in worse.

Still, there was no time, and there was only Kyle ahead and defeat at his back, so all Cero said was "Copy that" and he all he did was slink toward the door, readying himself for the next phase of the plan.

[Profiles]

Cropped.png.611b6f973fd434d0847c1fdaa53ac881.png

Wisdom. Restraint. Emptiness. 

-==IC: Taylor==-

Taylor thought for a moment as Dahlia asked her question. "Hm, here's fine!" The girl said with a smile, as she walked over to middle of the sand, finding that a good spot to fight, and gripped one of her three Pokeballs. "Alright, surf's up, Armage!" Taylor called out, as she sent out a Quilladin, who looked over at Dahlia with a confident smile.

Dahlia looked over at Taylor's Quilladin, as she nervously gripped Coco's Pokeball. "Alright... G-go Coco!" she said, as the Buneary was released from the Pokeball, looking over at Armage with anticipation. Dahlia rubbed the back of her head, still not used to battling, but nodded at Coco, confident in her abilities. "Alright Taylor... You get the first move." she said to the other girl, as both trainer and Pokemon waited to see what would be her first move.

Taylor nodded, as the Quilladin watched the Buneary carefully for a little bit. "Now, Armage, Vine Whip!" The girl called out, as she began to hum a song to herself. The Quilladin nodded, and leaped forward, seeming a little reluctant, but only because Coco had still not made a move yet.

"Ice Punch, and dodge!" Dahlia called out to Coco, leaving the specifics up to the Buneary. Coco spun her body to the side, strafing away from the vines, and used her momentum to swing towards Armage, her arm coated in ice. She hadn't let Celadon slow her down, and she would see to that this Quilladin wouldn't either.

Edited by JiMing

Taylor smiled as the Buneary shot forward, slamming her fists into Armage's summoned vines. The Quilladin didn't seem to be too upset about that, however, as he dropped forward. "Now, Bulk Up!" The Quilladin focused, as he felt his muscles become more prominent for that moment. "And Bite!" Armage launched himself forward, and tried to bite down; he wasn't using enough force to actually hurt the Buneary, but would likely leave some damage anyway.

Coco grunted when Armage clamped his jaws over her, causing Dahlia to wince. "Get out of there, Coco!" she called out, not actually sure of how the Buneary would pull that off. After some quick thinking, Coco reached out and gripped the Quilladin by her paws, and Bounced upwards, attempting to flip it so Armage would be slammed against the ground on the way back down.

The smile on McKinley's face masked the rush of victory that cascaded through his heart. "I agree wholeheartedly," he said. With a clap of his hands, he gestured to his Xatu, who had remained entirely stationary and unresponsive for the entirety of their interaction. "If you'd be so kind as to take a moment to meet my dear friend here, then we can get this all wrapped up."

Ellen nodded and walked forward, McKinley moving backward to join her as she came to a stop in front of the Psychic-Type, his arms outstretched to either side in a broad and welcoming gesture the entire way. Something appeared strange about his movements, however, specifically his eyes. Indeed, if one paid close enough attention, they might have noticed that while he seemed to be watching Ellen, in actuality he was maintaining a close watch on Paul and Xander.

"Stay still, now, and Xatu will show you all that you need to see," he continued, placing a hand on Ellen's head and gently directing her to match Xatu's gaze. "And, of course, there's one other thing." Ellen glanced at him. The Fourth Child smiled brightly. "Don't worry, my friend, it's nothing big! All of the Children are given their own code names--Madison Hayes, for instance, or, you know, Tyler McKinley. So you'll need one as well. Let's see . . ." He tapped his chin. "How about . . . Taylor? That's a good start . . . And for the last name . . . Aha!" He snapped his fingers. "Taylor Carter!"

A smile had begun to form on Ellen's face when Xatu's eyes suddenly flashed. Images whirled through the girl's mind, awe-inspiring and bewildering in their sheer, chaotic nature. In what seemed like ages, but what was actually only a brief moment, the images stopped, and Ellen stumbled, dazed and barely conscious. She fell back, her fall immediately broken by McKinley.

He straightened her up, continuing to support her as he tilted his head. "You know," he called to Paul. "I probably should have mentioned that the day in question isn't until the last day of the month." McKinley offered the blacksmith a bright grin, as if he had embarrassed himself by forgetting to lock his front door. "My bad. But that's okay--she'll be among friends in the meantime. Until then . . ." He nodded to Xatu. "You two have a good day."

Xatu's eyes flashed, and the next instant, all three figures had vanished.

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

OOC: Jam with Blade to get things moving in Fortree

IC: Evan and Jenny

As he watched Ray and Ryan walk off to find out more about what could have happened to Ellen, Evan thought about everything that had gone on, when two particular thoughts crossed his mind. The battle with Hayes may have been a pointless one, but it made him realize that some part of his battling style needed improvement. The other, he had to bring up with Jenny openly.

"Let's get going and see what we can do, huh?" Evan said to Jenny while he smiled slyly. "I have something to talk with you about, in between finding out about Ellen, if you want to that is."

"Hm?" Jenny looked over to Evan in slight confusion, wondering what he wanted to talk about.

"It concerns the battle with Hayes." Evan said, a twinkle in his eye. "You did so well during it. If it weren't for Hayes getting away, I am pretty sure we would have won because of you! But there was something I noticed in that battle, that wasn't so good."

Jenny went quiet, but seemed curious. "What's that...?" She asked tentatively, as she wasn't so sure that the battle had gone well, especially right before Sonja surrendered.

"You command your pokemon stupendously....." Evan said, as he posed dynamically in a slow fashion. "But you don't seem able to feel the flow of battle, which would make you a formidable opponent for our future foes. Of that, I am pretty sure!"

Jenny blinked, caught off guard by that. "The... flow of battle?" She asked curiously, as she wondered what that was all about.

"The ability to discern a foe's actions quickly and decisively based on their previous actions." Evan explained, seeming very excited at the idea he was cooking up at this moment. "Combine that with your very deep connection with your pokemon, and you'd be hard to take down, I bet!"

Jenny seemed surprised at that, and nodded in understanding. "Kinda makes sense... How do I learn that, though?" She asked curiously, not having expected this topic to have come up like that.

"I can't really teach you in the traditional sense." Evan said, rubbing his hand on his forehead, clearly trying to keep his idea grasped. "But I think it's something you have to experience to learn, which is why I think you need to have a pokemon who is well versed in this sort of thing. I know most of my pokemon may be able to help. So.....I was thinking we could trade pokemon to help each other out."

Jenny was definitely caught off guard by that. She didn't let it really affect her, however, and smiled. "That sounds like a great idea." She thought for a moment, as she tried to figure out how that would work. "Who would be traded, though?"

"Well, Tell me who would mesh with your team best, and I will let you hold onto them." Evan said, grinning slightly. "But, I'd like to hold onto your Scizor. She seems like she wouldn't mind my team's power helping her out, I think?"

Jenny thought for a moment, and nodded, as that made sense. "Then let's trade Gnip for Scizlite." She recalled how her and the Garchomp had bonded the night before.

"Gnip, huh?" Evan said, clearly caught off guard by that idea. "She seems to really like you, and since she is among my best, I am pretty sure she can help you feel the flow." Evan then reached towards his belt, grasped the poke ball that contained his prized Garchomp, and held it out towards Jenny. As he did so, he whispered, "Show her what she is truly capable of, Gnip."

Jenny dug out the Pokeball for her Scizor, and handed it to Evan, as she took the capsule that held the Garchomp in question. "Sounds like a plan, then." She said with a smile, as she nodded at Evan.

*"Now let's go and find out where Ellen could have gone!" Evan said energetically as he received Scizlite's Poke Ball and holstered it to his belt. "There's a lot of people to ask and we have little time!"

Edited by Hades

Taylor was surprised when the Buneary did something like that, but had to giggle, as it did work. The Quilladin laid on the ground, stunned, as he tried to figure out what had just happened. As she was about to give a command, however, a Pokéball glinted in the light reflected off the water. The girl paused, and looked over curiously, noticing a green Pokémon inside. Taylor held her hand up to pause the battle, and walked over curiously. "What Pokémon's that?" She asked, as she pointed to the Pokéball that contained Dahlia's Turtwig.

IC: Paul
"What did you do to her?!" Paul cried as McKinley cradled a barely conscious Ellen. It was a miracle the little Oddish didn't slip from the girl's grasp. In fact, Ellen appeared strangely peaceful laying there in McKinley's arms, as if she finally understood the answer to a question that had haunted her for a long time. Paul clenched a fist and darted forward. "What do you mean, end of the month? She didn't agree to this! Get back here you son of a--!"

Everything seemed to happen in an instant. Even as Paul reached out to grab McKinley by the neck of his shirt, Chrono pounced forward. Terry began barking wildly. But before the Herdier could charge at the so called Fourth Child, the Xatu's eyes glowed once more. Chrono's outstretched paws landed on Ellen's leg, and the Purrloin's stomach lurched as he was pulled into the teleportation. Paul's hands met empty air.

The blacksmith stumbled and fell to the ground, sliding across the grassy ground. "Ellen!" he screamed, ignoring the pain shooting up his arm as he pushed himself up and looked around desperately for McKinley. "Ellen! Give me back my daughter, you #@%&!" Terry whimpered and walked over to Paul, licking his hand to try and comfort the blacksmith. Bisharp stood nearby as Paul's cries of anguish diminished into sobs barely audible over the rain pounding on the bridge above them. "She's gone..." he muttered. "She was right there... I had her... and she's gone..."

He punched the ground until he drew blood. He felt like a failure of a father. Why hadn't he acted sooner? Why hadn't he attacked McKinley when he'd had the chance? What would he tell Anna? Ellen had no idea what danger she might be in. If McKinley had lied about only keeping her for one day, what else might he have lied about? What did Ford want with her?

At long last, Paul looked up at Xander. His tears had run dry, and he was covered in dirt from his fall. "We have to find her," he said in a hoarse voice. "I don't know how I'll do it, but I have to get her back."

OOC: Jam with Blade

IC: Ryan/Ray
Ray walked along near his Liberty friend, and glanced over at him. "Lemme guess, troubled about what happened yesterday?" The orange haired separatist asked, a slightly concerned frown on his face. He continued to look at Ryan, even as they continued walking.

Ryan paused in the middle of a bridge that stretched across the city canopy. He leaned against the rope as he stared at his feet. "Gluttony was only part of it," he said quietly. "What did Hayes want with Ellen, and how did she find my house? And... why did Sonja go with her?"

Ray frowned slightly, as he clenched his fist. "I think we missed a lot of it. That blonde..." Ray mumbled a couple choice words, and seemed a bit more annoyed. "I think he had something to do with it, somehow." His frown deepened. "All I know, is that we have to find Ellen before either of those two do. I don't know how Hayes found your house, even though that really is creepy." Ray grew quiet for a moment. "If it wasn't because of that blond haired creep, then it Sonja might've went because of her sister. But I just don't think it was that."

Ryan gave a sigh as he crossed his arms and leaned more against the rope. "You know... the reason I was so forward with her was because I was afraid she would fall for you first."

Ray went quiet for a moment. "Then that would have been her decision." He looked down to the forest below. "Not that it probably matters now..."

The Liberty trainer gave a wry smile. "Better you than me, after what I've done..."

"Oh, stop with the pity party." Ray said sharply, as he looked over at Ryan. "Yeah, you screwed up; are you just planning to dwell on it for all the rest of your life?" He continued to stare intently as the other trainer, but then just sighed, relenting his gaze. "You're not going to get anywhere thinking that sorta way. You made a mistake. Don't just keep dwelling on it, just move forward until you can punch that mistake in the face like the blond rat it is." Ray clenched his fist again, making it a little unaware of just who or what he was talking about.

"Blonde rat?" Ryan blinked in confusion. "But I can't escape what I've done to her, Ray. I tried to apologize, and she just left. I think that just might be a sign that she's still bitter about things."

Ray gave him a sharp look again. "I'm pretty certain that's not why she left. She was already about to leave before we even got there, Jenny herself said so. Maybe she's a little upset over what happened yesterday, but I think it was a big case of bad timing. Those other two were there, and she had already seemed to have made up her mind by the time we even got kinda close."

Ryan bit his lip and looked away. "She could have at least waited to hear me out."

"I get the feeling that might not have been an option." Ray frowned slightly, as he admittedly was uncertain why she left too, but... "Recall: we left her with Hayes, Jenny, and Evan. We returned to an extra visitor."

"Yeah, that guy with the Xatu," Ryan said. "I've never seen him before. Have you?"

Ray opened his mouth as if to say something, but then closed it, unable to find any words. "He's evil, I can tell it." He had thought the threat the guy had made was simply that... but, he really didn't seem to be able to say anything about his previous encounter with the golden-haired man. "He left with Hayes and Sonja, and knocked her out, remember?" Ray tried to make the logical connection, but sighed in frustration, and simply looked at Ryan for him to instead.

Ryan nodded. "If he was with Hayes, then he must be another of Ford's. I just hope Sonja knew what she was doing." He clenched a fist, then relaxed with another heavy sigh. "There I go being overprotective again, just like I accused you of being."

Ray grew quiet again. "We should ask the other two more of what happened after we get back." He kept trying to push the thought out of his head, but he couldn't help but wonder just how much choice Sonja had in this.

"Yeah, we should keep going." Ryan walked over to the end of the bridge, but paused again, looking back at Ray.

"Something on your mind?"

"Just..." Ryan hesitated. "You and Sonja... I think you'd make a good couple. I've seen how much you care for her, and... well, you're a lot more of a gentleman than me. I'm not saying this out of self-pity, I just want you to know that you don't have to be afraid of me trying to sabotage your relationship or anything."

Ray went quieter at that, as he smiled ruefully. "Might be a bit late for that... Can't really say I blame you, though..." He didn't say anything for a few moments. "I probably ruined things myself, so nothing really to be afraid of anyway..."

Ryan raised an eyebrow. "You ruined things? I'm the one who utterly failed. What did you do?"

Ray looked at him, as if he had been living under a rock. "Did you forget about the Alamo already? Or Opelucid?"

Ryan laughed. "What, trying to protect her? Not being able to find your room? That's nothing. Trust me, Ray, you're in a much better position than me. You didn't force her into a dance and put her on the spot."

"... Before that."

Ryan frowned. "When you got that tour of her room? When you both forgot I was standing right there? Think about it, Ray: she was focused so much on you and you on her that you both forgot about me. That hardly counts as screwing up."

Ray didn't answer for a moment, but then quietly explained what had happened after Ryan had run off.

The Liberty trainer stared at the Separatist in surprise. "...Oh."

Ray nodded, as he scratched his head. "Even if I could get the courage up to admit my feelings to her... I know it wouldn't work. And even though sometimes it's just... silliness..." Ray paused, as he tried to figure out how to phrase what he was trying to say. "I also know Sonja, and know she wouldn't want that. So I'll just go about everything as always. We'll find Ellen, we'll get Sonja back, and everything will be just as it has been. And maybe I'll just go, since all I do is mess up situations."

Ryan placed a hand on the Separatist's shoulder. "You're not the only one. Between the two of us, it's a miracle anything ever goes as planned."

Ray chuckled at that, and sighed. "Touché." He frowned slightly, but tried to change the subject. "I am worried about what happened, though, I've gotta say."

"Same." Ryan nodded. "But if Ellen were here, she'd tell us to keep our heads up. And I think Sonja would say something along the same lines."

Ray went quiet at the mention of the young girl. "We have to find Ellen."

"I never should have left her on her own," Ryan muttered. He looked up at the house they had been walking toward, the home of a local gardener whom Ellen had helped several times in the past few months. "Let's go," he said. "With any luck, someone will have seen where she went."

Ray nodded as he followed along, a determined look on his face.

"Huh? What?" Dahlia said confusedly, when Taylor seemed to be postponing the battle. The gardener followed her gaze, and blinked, as she was looking at a very specific Pokeball. "Oh, her? That's the Turtwig I got from Eri-uhh, nevermind." the middle Seaton explained, grabbing the Pokeball off her belt and releasing the Tiny Leaf Pokemon. "Don't really have a name for her yet, since I only got her the other day..."

The tiny Turtwig looked up, and smiled at the new face. Meanwhile, Coco turned around, waiting for a new order, only to see the two trainers talking to each other. The Buneary scratched the back of her head in confusion, but hopped over to the Quilladin, offering him a paw to lift him up.

IC: Xander

As Ellen started to walk forward, Xander could only watch, completely gobsmacked at the turn of events. Ellen swayed in place, and the blond man caught her. After that, everything devolved into sheer and utter chaos.

Paul lunged forward in an attempt to grab Tyler, Ellen's Purrloin jumped into the group. Sylph released her Dazzling Gleam, pulling back just enough to miss Paul. Before she could prepare another attack, the Xatu had teleported, taking Tyler, Chrono... and Ellen.

Xander looked away as Paul shouted and beat at the ground until blood coated his hands. He clenched his eyes shut, trying not to scream in frustration. He could have helped stop this. If they had been a little quicker, or if they had attacked McKinley the moment he'd appeared... He growled. No point in dwelling on 'ifs.' As Paul spoke, Xander nodded.

"We'll find her. We'll find her and make that scumbag regret ever meeting her."

Edited by Unown Mercury

"So Alku, happy 'was that a firecracker or shotgun?' day!"

"Hard mode: I'm in the south."

"Planning was never Zac Blazer's forte." - Blade, mastering the art of the understatement.

"We'll have to change the initials of the RPG from RotR to PTSD." - Me, discussing Rise of the Rockets.

"From Eri?" Taylor seemed curious, wondering if this 'Eri' was one of Dahlia's friends. She didn't focus on that, however, and instead knelt down to look at the Turtwig. "Hiya..." She said with a warm smile to the Turtwig, and looked up to Dahlia. "A friend of my family's had a Turtwig once, but it evolved... I like how the base forms look, though~" She said happily, but thought for a moment. "Has she ever battled?" The girl asked, as she looked up curiously.