Pokémon: Rise Of The Rockets

Parugi

OOC: We're really breaking out the jams after that no-jam Water Pokémon fight, aren't we?

There may have been no jam, but we still had jelly(fish)

IC: Ryan/Dahlia

Ryan positioned himself across from Dahlia and took a deep breath. For all the gardener's reassuring, he felt woefully unprepared for this. He had only held Reverse powers for a single day over six months ago. How was he supposed to teach her how to use powers even greater than he had wielded?

To the side, their Pokémon had already gotten started on their lessons. They were situated on the upper portion of the boat's deck, which gave them plenty of room for practice. Ampere was impressed by Coco's mastery of Thunder Punch, but nevertheless decided to give the Buneary a few pointers on how to properly contain the electricity in her fist without releasing it before she was ready. Missy had floated over to Laurel and tried to teach her the proper way to use Magical Leaf. Instead the Bellossom waddled over to the ghost-type, twirled about, and showed a much more elegant and precise version of the attack. Missy scoffed that the grass-type was being a showoff, but nevertheless conceded to take a lesson from Laurel.

Ryan looked back at Dahlia, who was eagerly awaiting his first lesson. "Alright," he said. "Um, first you need to clear your mind. Concentrate on the power inside of you, feel it in your veins." Off to the side, Asriel stared at the Liberty trainer. Ryan suddenly felt extremely silly, like he was merely imitating some wise sage instead of actually knowing what he was talking about. He closed his eyes, trying to think back to that day on Four Island Beach with Kinali. "Focus on the power, and for now just concentrate on feeling its presence."

Dahlia closed her eyes and took several deep breaths, attempting to push out doubtful thoughts. The gardener thought back to the encounter she had with Feral, and attempted to recapture that moment of power, where the strength behind the spacial horror's hits were used against him. Afterwards, she opened her eyes, and turned to one of several empty water bottles she and Ryan had snatched from the kitchen...

Coco grinned at Ampere, and decided to show off for the moment. The Buneary charged electricity in her fist for a moment, and then sprung off the ground, twisting through the air while her hand crackled during the Thunder Punch. As flashy as it was though, there was still some lack of technique to be had, thanks to Coco not being a native Electric-type. Laurel was horrified at the charge that she had been showing off, and shook her head profusely, explaining that she merely wanted to provide a simple demonstration. The Bellossom cleared her throat when the Mismagius proved willing to be taught, however, and explained that a simple flourish was effective in improving the speed and power of Magical Leaf. She demonstrated this by twirling and summoning leaves, firing them off quickly afterwards, asking Missy to try it afterwards. 

The middle Seaton reached out for the water bottle and grabbed it quickly. Her aim was to crush the bottle before her hand actually moved, though if she was successful it wasn't very obvious. "...I... Think I felt some emptiness for a moment there." she stammered, holding a crushed bottle in her hand.

Asriel's ears suddenly perked up, and he frowned once more. Something wasn't right on this boat... But he didn't know what. The Absol let out a low growl, trying to figure out what might be going on.

"Right, um..." Ignoring Asriel's growl, Ryan took the crushed water bottle from Dahlia and held out another one in front of her. "This time, focus on the feeling you had when you crushed the bottle. As you reach for the bottle, try and think only of when you crushed the last one. And don't move your hand until you're ready."

Intending to outperform the Bellossom, Missy did a backflip in the air as she sent leaves spiraling all around her. It was an interesting effect, although not quite as fast or powerful as Laurel's. Laurel praised Missy for effort, but ultimately shook her head at the attempt. She explained how the leaves had more force behind them spun horizontally, and provided further tips to the Mismagius.

"G-got it..." Dahlia mumbled, closing her eyes again. She went back to just a few seconds before, recalling the sensation of the plastic bottle giving way to her hand, and the tempo of her breathing at the time. The gardener brought her breathing in line with the recalled rhythm and reached her hand towards the plastic bottle in Ryan's hand. At first it seemed like nothing would happen, but the moment she was about to close her hand around the water bottle, it collapsed and left her briefly grasping air. She gasped, not sure whether she was imagining things...

"That was fantastic!" Ryan said with a smile. "I think you're getting the hang of it. Let's try it again, but this time--"

Asriel was clearly put off by something, and barked quickly for attention. He knew someone on the ship had ill intentions, but couldn't identify who...

"What up?" Ryan asked, turning toward the Absol. He was a tad annoyed at the interruption, as it seemed Dahlia was finally getting into her groove, but after everything that had happened in the past few days, he knew better than to ignore the Absol's cry.

"What is it, Asriel?" Dahlia questioned, a concerned expression on her face. Worry began to seep back into her thoughts as she wondered what could have gotten the Absol so agitated once more. Her questions were mostly answered when Ryan Hikari let out a cry of pain elsewhere on the deck. The Disaster Pokémon ran off towards the direction of the sound immediately, bounding as fast as he could.

"W-wait!" the middle Seaton called out. Coco and Laurel turned to face their trainer, looking just as shocked as she was. "Wha... What's happening now...?" she muttered under her breath, breaking out into a cold sweat.

Ryan wasted no time in running after Asriel. He didn't have to go far to find the black-haired trainer, who was facing the boat captain with a bloodied arm and a spiteful grimace. "Jack!" The Liberty agent called out. "What is the meaning of this?"

Only then did he see the silvery glint of a gun in the captain's hand. Ryan scowled. Missy floated up behind him with a soft coo questioning whether she should fire a Magical Leaf at the Swampert. Ryan held up a hand for the Mismagius to wait, then glanced back at Dahlia. "Looks like your training just became a trial by fire," he said gravely. "He's got a gun; this could get ugly."

Dahlia couldn't believe what she saw. Never in a million years could she have seen the flippant, apathetic captain do what he had... "O-oh no..." she squeaked out, not sure what move to make in this situation.

Coco bounded over to the scene of the crime with Laurel trailing behind. Both of them were utterly baffled at this turn of events and eyed Jack's team warily. Meanwhile, Asriel had gotten there before the others and stared down the opposition with a growl. The Absol's eyes subtly glinted, as he primed a Future Sight to strike the arm Jack was using to hold his gun.

Konuju: Kopaka and Nuju meet the Spear of Fusion

Quotes from throughout the years:

2001: "Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer." --Nokama

2002: "Mata Nui faces perhaps its greatest challenge -- one that will test our courage, our strength, and our belief in each other." --Tahu

2003: "So... it has begun, my brother. But soon, it will also end..." --Makuta

2004: "Your journey must end." "By the will of the Great Spirit, it has just begun!" --Makuta and Vakama

2005: "Our destinies are not written in stone, set in place. They are something we have to find for ourselves." --Vakama

2006: "Don't you realize you're fighting for a lost cause?" "Maybe. But don't you realize those are the only ones worth fighting for?" --Axonn and Brutaka

2007: "Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory." --Hahli

2008: "Dive into the darkness, Ignite the flame within. Now, there is no turning back. Make the future... begin." --Narrator, The Final Battle Animation

2009: "It is said that all endings are merely beginnings waiting to be born." --Mata Nui

2010: "All journeys must come to an end, but this time, there is a new beginning as well. ... All that has gone before, my friends, has only served to give birth to this new day. Let unity, duty and destiny be your guides." --Mata Nui

2011: "Not dead. Just frozen. They’ll thaw out … eventually. I’m tired of villains spouting gibberish." --Kopaka

IC: Xander

Pain lanced through his arm, causing him to jolt upright in bed. He gasped, his other hand coming up to grab at the pain. What the heck? He stood, gasping softly. He felt a mixture of emotions coming from above deck. He frowned, stepping out of his room, not bothering with shirt and jacket. He focused, trying to sort through the sensations.

Pain, first and foremost. He snarled, shoving it aside. He moved his arm and nodded. Good, no pain. Fear, confusion, mild bits of anger, all stemming from Ryan Hikari, more fear from Jenny. But why? He frowned, running down the hall. He felt more anger and confusion as that one girl-- what was her name? Jessie? Janet? More confusion as she arrived on the scene.

He hurried down the hall as quickly as he could without losing his breath, wishing his ribs were already healed. By the time he made it up the stairs, the others had gathered, and Xander froze as he saw the scene.

He felt a pressure, the feeling of an impending attack aimed at Jack, and nodded. His hand dropped, hovering over Sylph's ball on his belt. He could summon her, but that might provoke Jack into doing something even crazier.

With a frown, he tried to hone in on the captain's thoughts.

IC: Mercury

The silver-haired trainer nodded. "Anubis, you go first. I'll follow you. Then Payton and Matt, then Lachina. Sound good?" He glanced around for confirmation before sending Anubis through.

The Lucario slipped through the hole easily enough, being fairly flexible and agile. He rose on the other side, aura at the ready.

Edited by Carbevoir

"So Alku, happy 'was that a firecracker or shotgun?' day!"

"Hard mode: I'm in the south."

"Planning was never Zac Blazer's forte." - Blade, mastering the art of the understatement.

"We'll have to change the initials of the RPG from RotR to PTSD." - Me, discussing Rise of the Rockets.

IC: Paul

Paul had not gotten a good night's sleep. He tossed and turned in and out of nightmares filled with maniacal laughing, bloody eyes, monstrous sea creatures. And at the center of it all was Ellen. Lost and scared. Yet unwilling to go home until her job was done. The worst of it was, Paul knew he would have to call Anna and tell her their baby girl didn't want to go home...

He awoke to a bloodcurdling scream. Terry bolted to the door and started scratching at it frantically. When Paul stumbled out of bed and opened the door, the Herdier rushed on ahead. Mumbling something about not even being able to get a decent night's sleep without another disaster happening, Paul quickly followed after Terry.

When they reached the deck, shortly behind Xander, Terry gave a low growl as Paul tried to make sense of the situation. Their captain was wielding a metal bat and a gun, and one of the Ryans was grasping a broken arm. Cursing himself for leaving his own gun in his room, the blacksmith gripped his Bisharp's Pokéball. "You don't want to do this, Jack," he growled. "You saw what we did to McKinley. And we won't hesitate to do the same to you."

• Upvote 1

2001: "Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer." --Nokama

2002: "Mata Nui faces perhaps its greatest challenge -- one that will test our courage, our strength, and our belief in each other." --Tahu

2004: "Your journey must end." "By the will of the Great Spirit, it has just begun!" --Makuta and Vakama

2005: "Our destinies are not written in stone, set in place. They are something we have to find for ourselves." --Vakama

2006: "Don't you realize you're fighting for a lost cause?" "Maybe. But don't you realize those are the only ones worth fighting for?" --Axonn and Brutaka

2007: "Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory." --Hahli

2008: "Dive into the darkness, Ignite the flame within. Now, there is no turning back. Make the future... begin." --Narrator, The Final Battle Animation

2009: "It is said that all endings are merely beginnings waiting to be born." --Mata Nui

2010: "All journeys must come to an end, but this time, there is a new beginning as well. ... All that has gone before, my friends, has only served to give birth to this new day. Let unity, duty and destiny be your guides." --Mata Nui

2011: "Not dead. Just frozen. They’ll thaw out … eventually. I’m tired of villains spouting gibberish." --Kopaka

IC: Aspen Seaton

Aspen sat at the kitchen table, enjoying a nice meal with his Pokemon. Evidently Dahlia was busy with some form of training with Ryan, leaving the groggy and tired boy to cook his own breakfast, miraculously not burning down the kitchen as he did so. He stuffed some egg in his mouth, not being as good as his sister's work but still a decent attempt and a nice way to start the morning. The youngest Seaton sipped some tea, hoping it would work as an eye-opener for the tired young trainer. 

The team each had a bowl of poffins to chow down on, and most found it a welcome start to the morning. Even Jet, the quiet and aggressive Braviary, happily snacked on his bowl, snarfing up Poffins with as much eagerness as Flare, Torrent, and Meadow. Two Pokemon however, went against the grain. Aria leaned against a wall, popping a Poffin into her mouth once in a while, chewing slowly. Meanwhile Saya sat an even greater distance away from the team and slowly nibbled away at her food, trying to remain unnoticed. 

That didn't work out however, as the Lucario turned her attention to the small brown fox, and raised an eyebrow. "Intriguing. You fear humans and yet cannot bear to be seen by your Pokemon brethren." she muttered, causing Saya to bolt up in surprise. "You shy away, try to make yourself invisible. But why? It is not Pokemon who have traumatized you, and yet you still refuse to believe you can integrate with us. I wonder..." 

Saya started hyperventilating, and backed up against the wall, ears pressed flat against her head. That didn't deter the Lucario however, who stepped closer. "I wonder, is it part of your past that has made you this way? Or was this crippling lack of confidence within you from the start? Perhaps I should find out."

"That's enough, Aria." Aspen interjected with a growl. He winced Saya's state, the poor fox being reduced to a whimpering apologetic mess. The trainer shook his head at the Lucario, and sighed. "Look, I don't think your strategy is really helping Saya out. I'll figure something out, okay? I just need some more-"

Suddenly a bloodcurdling scream sounded above the deck, causing everyone in the kitchen to freeze. "...What the...?" Aspen muttered, baffled.

"It's Jack. He's gone rogue." Aria replied, her eyes glowing blue. "He's armed and Ryan Hikari's suffered a major injury to the arm." 

Aspen blinked, and closed his eyes. "Of all the times for things to go wrong..." His thoughts were interrupted by a panicking Saya who darted past his leg. The youngest Seaton ran quickly after her, turning back to his Pokemon. "Go above deck and help! I'll be there once I have Saya calmed down!" he exclaimed.

"As you wish." muttered the Lucario, dashing into the hallway, the rest of Aspen's team in hot pursuit. 

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

OOC: Happy sixth year anniversary, RotR! ^^

-==IC: Jack==-

"You act like there's any choice in the matter." The rogue captain said with narrowed eyes. "I'd take the risk over anything else." He motioned slightly, as his Pokemon began to act. The Ditto stayed back for a moment, however, the other two sprung into action. The Pinsir was first, and attempted to aim an X-Scissor at the Absol to try and knock the Pokemon off course from any attacks. The Swampert, on the other hand, leaped into the ocean for the time being.

"I don't get it, though... What do you even want? Why are you doing this?" Jenny grit her teeth, as she gripped Gnip's Pokeball in her hand. She preferred to avoid a fight, but knew it was merely a matter of time by now. It, however, did not stop her from wanting to try.

Jack turned his gaze to Jenny, a frown on his face. "I must deliver you to a certain place. It is non-negotiable, and if you continue to resist, I will be forced to deal with you all."

Edited by Destined Blade

OOC: Happy 6 Full Years of us sharing a game~

IC: Jamie - Boat

"Then I wish you good luck!" Jamie yelled sarcastically, "Palomides! Disable that villain!"

With a thrust of his hands, the Haunter began to emit power intended to render Jack completely immobile. Pelleas held back from interfering with the Pinsir's assault. He didn't know yet how Asriel responded to attacks and did not want to risk interfering with the Absol's movements. Plus that involved moving away from the one person he intended to protect above all others.

25fbd79538e4c3de878b599045e3f03a.jpg

IC: Xander Cruize

Xander was at a loss for what to do. Every second, things got more hectic as people kept talking or acting. The problem was, both were just causing more chaos. Each person that spoke added to the noise and general sense of chaos on deck. Each person that acted was making it harder for anyone else to act without getting in the way. The problem with a mass of people ganging up on one.

If he tried to hit Jack, he risked intercepting Janet's Haunter's attack or the Absol's Future Sight. If he called Sylph out to battle against the Pinsir and Ditto, that added more to the mass on deck and left less room for others to work. Nobody was coordinating, nobody was communicating.

After a second's thought, Xander realized something he could do to help. He lobbed Sylph's ball high into the air, aiming to release her directly next to Ryan Hikari. Even as the capsule was opening, he was relaying a mental command to get Ryan and teleport with him below deck.

"Planning was never Zac Blazer's forte." - Blade, mastering the art of the understatement.

"We'll have to change the initials of the RPG from RotR to PTSD." - Me, discussing Rise of the Rockets.

OOC: Happy Six Year Anniversary, Rise of the Rockets!

Once again, I look back on this past year and I'm astounded at how far we've come. We've seen Ryan deal with the aftereffects of his battle with Gluttony, a struggle that's continued long after the Sin was defeated. We've also seen him take on more of a leadership position, a responsibility he feels woefully unprepared for. Dack, too, has faced a Sin and has become more aware of the effects his selfish actions can have on his friends. Speaking of his friends, we got to see Madison and Luke both fend for themselves in the Battle of Celadon, which was a fun challenge to write. I'm looking forward to seeing where the future will take the Snowpoint Trio. And then there's Ellen. We finally saw the finale of her character arc this year, the culmination of two years of planning and preparation. Ellen's battle against her father was hands down my favorite event of the past year, and I hope you all enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Alas, since that battle Ellen hasn't been quite as active as I would have liked, but she is ever-present in spirit as the driving force behind the current major arc. When I first created this innocent young girl nearly four and a half years ago, I never could have imagined the impact she'd have on so many characters.

If Ellen has been less active as of late, in exchange her father has only become more active. If I have one complaint about Ellen's arc it's that Paul's side of things was little more than looking around each town and route in Hoenn and finding little-to-no information on Ellen's whereabouts. Now that I can focus on Mr. Burks more, I think we've seen him grow more as a character, driven to desperation by seeing his daughter taken from him the moment he finally reunited with her. Part of that development I think is thanks to him working together with other people rather than flying solo. It's also been fun to see Terry reunited with his original master. Zoe, much like Ellen, has not been very active lately, although that's more due to a lack of plot rather than the demands of plot. However, a group of people are about to arrive on Four Island and ask to take her sister away again, and I can assure you she's going to have something to say about that. My two newest characters, Hannah and Shannon, have also been fun, despite being less active as of late. Personally I think Hannah became the most interesting post-Pride, and if she weren't in prison (or on trial for prison) it would be fun to explore her more. Shannon has been as optimistic as ever despite being bedridden for most of the past year. I'll admit the bedridden scenes are starting to get a little long-winded, but she's recovering so hopefully she'll be a bit more active in the physical sense. She may not like to fight, but I suspect she may soon find herself on a very different kind of battlefield...

And now that my ramblings have gone on longer than my actual IC, I think I'd better wrap this up and get on with the actual post.

Once again, Happy Sixth Anniversary! ^_^

IC: Ryan/Paul

Ryan had heard enough. He didn't care what Jack's reasons were. The captain was just another threat in a series of increasingly annoying attacks. He would be dealt with, just like they had dealt with everything else. Ryan gave a sharp nod to Missy, who flew after the Swampert. She twirled about, sending her Magical Leaves in a wide area around where the water-type had disappeared in the crashing waves. Pleased with her work, the Mismagius spared a glance and a wink a Laurel.

"You will deliver us to Four Island like we agreed!" Ryan cried, not bothering to hide the loathing in his voice. He hurled a Pokéball at the Pinser with all his might. The capsule bounced off the stagbeetle, but rather than attempt to draw the Pokémon in, the ball opened up to deposit a raging Typhlosion on top of the bug. Quil roared with as much fury as his trainer as he summoned a Flame Wheel around his body and slammed into the Pinsir.

Meanwhile, at Ryan's command, Ampere darted down toward the captain, her tail glowing as she sent a Confuse Ray at the Ditto. The pink gelatinous Pokémon was a wildcard; easily the most versatile threat. The longer they could keep it from transforming out of its vulnerable, blobby state, the better.

Paul sent out his Bisharp as chaos erupted all across the deck. The blacksmith's eyes, however, were trained not on Jack, but on his weapon. "That gun you have," he growled. "That's Déoza. I'd recognize the make anywhere. I don't know why you have it, or what your relation to them is, but I can promise you Déoza will not be happy when they hear you assaulted one of their master blacksmiths." At his side, Bisharp moved into a fighting stance while Terry uttered a low growl. There was too much chaos to warrant jumping into the fray, but both Pokémon were prepared to defend Paul should Jack make the foolish mistake of not heeding the blacksmith's words.

OOC: Happy sixth anniversary, RoTR!

IC: Evan Tierra

After Jenny had left, Evan had dozed off, before he heard even more commotion going on. As the Plasma Agent began to raise himself up to try and help, a flash of light erupted from one of the poke balls near his bed, revealing Scizlite. "Don't tell me you're going to keep me here." Evan spoke as he reclined back onto the bed with a sigh. "Something is going on, Scizlite, and you expect me to just stay here?" The Scizor nodded slowly in response, a concerned look in her eyes. "Your master could be in trouble, as well as the others." Evan spoke, feeling his blood running hot. "Even if I have to go through you, I will not let anything happen to them."

Evan tried to rise again, with great difficulty. Working with one arm would take some getting used to, and he didn't have time to adjust. Then he had an idea. "If you are against the idea of me going up on deck..." Evan spoke as he turned to Scizlite. "Would you mind accompanying me up there? I'm pretty sure you are more than enough to keep me safe, right?" Scizlite was surprised, as she really hadn't considered that possibility. The Pincer pokemon helped lift the Plasma Agent out of bed.

"Let's go, Scizlite." Evan said as he turned to the Pincer Pokemon, striking as dynamic a pose as he could with his injury. "We'll fight as one and win." Scizlite helped support Evan as the two walked out of the room.

Edited by Hades

IC: Dahlia Seaton

Dahlia's eyes widened more, and she shook her head. "S-so you're with Ford??" she stammered. The gardener wasn't prepared for another crisis on the boat so soon after the one from yesterday. She could only hope the others would be okay this time...

Asriel growled as he jumped to the side of the Pinsr's X-Scissor, attempting to follow up with a Night Slash of his own. He knew he was at a major type disadvantage here, and that any Bug-move from the opponent Pokemon could prove devastating. Coco focused on the Ditto and leaped upwards, aiming to take out the blob with a Bounce, to fulfill the vendetta she already held against the last Ditto the Buneary encountered. Laurel nodded at Missy and followed up with a Magical Leaf of her own, hoping to defuse the situation quickly. 

Aria closed her eyes for a moment, and suddenly held her arm out, jerking it up after the Magical Leaves entered the water. "Where do you think you're going?" she said, pulling the Pokemon back onto the boat and holding it there. Jet saw his chance and dived after the Swampert, lashing out with his talons and attempting to strike Jack's team member with a Crush Claw. 

-==IC: Ryan Hikari/Sylph(Jam)==-

The Gardevoir landed between Black and the captain. As soon as she touched down, she was activating her Telport, wrapping herself and Ryan in the veil of psychic energy. It was a short trip, almost directly down into the hallway below deck. She tried to make it as gentle as possible, seeing one of his arms hanging at an odd angle.

Are you alright? she asked.

The man seemed confused, but shook his head. "No..." He bit his lip to try and keep himself awake and focusing on something else. "But..." Ryan felt lightheaded, and raised his right hand to try and stop focusing on that. "The others... Jack..."

Relax. You're injured. Let me help. She gently put her hand on his left arm, focusing. The bone is broken beyond my ability to repair, but I can at least do something for the pain. So saying, she used Heal Pulse, sending waves of soothing energy through him.

The others should be more than adequate to handle the captain. For now, tell me what happened. Was anything odd about him before he attacked you?

"Yes..." Ryan gasped, as while the heal pulse numbed the pain a little, it wasn't totally helpful. He distractedly nodded to Sylph in thanks, but grimaced, as he closed his eyes, trying to focus on keeping his thoughts straight.

Sylph did not push for an answer, knowing how distracting a broken arm could be. Instead she focused on finding the worst of the pain and suppressing it for the moment. She grimaced a bit as she felt the full extent of the break. They would either have to wait until they could get to land, or hope that the medical officer and the rest of the crew weren't helping Jack.

When she spoke next, she didn't let her ire flow into her words. She wasn't mad at Ryan; she wasn't even mad at Xander, for sending her down here instead of having her fight. She understood why he had ordered it, but she wanted to keep an eye on him as well.

We're going to sit down here for a moment, to let you regain your senses. Is there anything I can get for you?

"They..." Ryan panted, as he continued to try to focus. "Don't... let them..." He tried to breathe through the pain, but found that wasn't really much of an option... "Ha... haha..." He smiled ruefully, barely hanging onto staying awake for the moment.

Sylph frowned softly, gently pushing Ryan into a sitting position. Relax. Just think of what you need. A blanket, perhaps? A pillow to rest your head on? Shock, how did one go about treating shock? She knew that despite the clammy skin and sweat, they needed to stay warm. Watch their breathing, reassure them.

The others are fine right now. You are also going to be fine.

"Pilot... boat..." Ryan murmured, as he tried to dedicate his energy to simply keeping his breathing normal, and to try and ignore the pain. Despite that, he nodded to Sylph's mention of a pillow, despite his current predicament.

She vanished for an instant and returned with a pillow and blanket from Xander's cabin. She settled the pillow behind his head, draping the blanket around his shoulders. Now, it was just a matter of waiting. If his condition got worse, she would have to risk the medical officer being corrupt.

-==IC: Jack/Jenny==-

Ryan's disappearance was noted, but not exactly cared about, in the frenzy of everything else that was going on. Between the Absol attacking the Pinsir, and the myriad of attacks everywhere else, it was tough to concentrate on one thing in particular.

"It is Déoza." Jack acknowledged, ignoring the girl's outcry of surprise. "I was once with them. Now they apparently want you and your friends. I don't know why, and I don't want to." The captain grit his teeth. "The harder you make things, the harder it'll be for everyone."

The Ditto had quickly transformed into the opposing Bisharp as Coco slammed into it. However, as the Confuse Ray was sent out, it dissolved back into its original form, and wrapped itself around the Captain's body. The Ditto waited, an eye looking at the Absol cautiously, until it suddenly got sliced open around where the gun hand was. Jack cursed too, as he felt the psychic attack slice shallowly into his wrist as well, but found himself frozen in place a moment after. As the Ditto pulled itself away, and landed on the ground, it transformed back into the Bisharp for the moment, and aimed off a Night Slash at the Haunter that it saw was doing... something to its master.

The Pinsir scowled, as he felt something hit his horns, and then noticed the Absol approaching. With a quick glance up, the Pinsir smiled malevolently, and quickly moved backward, the place where he had been moments before, now a collision in motion.

The Swampert was not having such a good day, however. The nerve of someone pulling him out of his element... it had gotten him out of the way of the leaves, but the psychic grip was getting old fast. On top of that, a bird was charging at him, looking rather angry. He wasn't having any of that. A Protecting barrier went up, as the bird's Crush Claw simply clattered off of it, but he wasn't done there. With an annoyed look, as he got free of the psychic hold through the barrier, the Swampert Thrashed about. The charging water type seemed to be managing to do some damage to the ship; a hole was already in the floor above Ray's old room, and a piece of the railing had been torn off, and was now being used as a makeshift weapon.

"Enough...!" Jenny grit her teeth. She sent out Gnip, who roared to try and futilely get everyone's attention. Jenny looked around at the chaos going on, and furrowed her brow in annoyance, wishing everyone would just stop and listen for a moment.

IC: Jamie Arthur - Boat Deck

Trying to get at Palomides put the Ditto in the unfortunate position of trying to get past Jamie. Trying to get past Jamie was unfortunate because to do that, the Ditto had to get past Pelleas who was thinking that the Ditto was trying to get at Jamie.

Naturally the Heracross decided that an enemy combatant getting near his daughter was a bad thing.

Not caring for what damage would come from the Dark-Type attack, Pelleas jumped into the Ditto's way, allowing the Night Slash to slam into him. He made a grab for the Ditto's arm, in hopes of unleashing a brutal counter onto the Ditto followed by a continuous series of punches from Close Combat.

The roar surprised Jamie, enough for her to turn towards Jenny, but was fully intent on continuing the fight. She wasn't about to let a second villain get away with his crimes.

IC: Ryan/Paul

"Perhaps you missed the fact that I'm Déoza, too." Paul leveled a glare at Jack, heedless of the chaos exploding around him. "And I order you to take us to Four Island. And I order you to do it now." In the back of his mind, Paul knew it was probably a bad idea to overrule the commands of whoever had ordered the captain to do this; whoever it was they likely held a far more powerful position than a lowly blacksmith. But right now, Paul didn't care about the repercussions. He had essentially walked out on his job to find his daughter, and he wasn't going to stop until he brought her home.

Quil had been so sure that he had caught the Pinsir by surprise. So when the stagbeetle leapt backwards, the Flame Wheeling Typhlosion had no time to react before he crashed into Asriel, knocking them both down.

Ampere was about to follow after the Bisharp-transformed-Ditto when Gnip let out a roar. That was enough to make the Flaafy hesitate. Instead of attacking, she pulled her wool down to cover her body in a protective Cotton Guard as she looked from Ryan to Jenny to Gnip, unsure what the plan was.

If Ampere could read minds, she would have been disappointed to learn that there was no plan. No solid one, at least. Ryan had a hard time following everything going on at once, from Quil's crash-and-burn to Paul's conversation about the Ford-related weapons company to the Ditto seemingly trying to attack the new girl. He and Dahlia were still on the upper deck, far enough away to observe the entirety of the fight that had broken out, yet too far away to do much about it. With a grimace, Ryan decided to wait and see if Paul could talk some sense into the former Déoza agent. After all, Jack was the captain. If they killed him, who would be left to pilot the ship? Ryan certainly knew nothing about boats, and he doubted anyone else in the group was a worthy seafarer. As much as he hated it, they needed Jack.

Missy, on the other hand, heard Gnip's roar and Jenny's cry, and promptly ignored both of them. There was a rampaging Swampert loose, and she was about to make him wish he had remained overboard. With a sinister smirk, the Mismagius twirled around again, summoning another Magical Leaf attack. Unfortunately the twirling meant she had to take her eyes off her enemy. And in that crucial moment when her back was turned, the Swampert brandished his makeshift weapon and struck Missy with all his might.

The leaves dropped to the ground harmlessly as Missy sailed through the air. Dazed and confused, she couldn't help but laugh wryly at the irony of the situation. Jack had a bat. And now his Swampert did, too. And the latter had just hit a home run.

IC: Togie/Orihime

The pair of Togekiss had been enjoying a peaceful morning in Ryan's room. A scream had barely roused them from their sleep. They weren't fully awake, but they were awake enough to hear a large crashing sound coming from the direction of Ray's old room. Orihime perked up first, sensing something was definitely wrong here. She shook Togie awake before flying out the door.

Togie was still groggy, but nevertheless followed Orihime. He reached out with his aura capabilities to try and get a grasp on the situation. He could feel several angry auras up on the deck, and recognized Ryan's among them. He didn't know what was going on, but if the emotions were strong enough that Togie was able to read them, it couldn't be good. However, the Togekiss also sensed a powerful fear coming from somewhere below deck. He chirped at Orihime, who was already halfway down the hall. The female Togekiss hesitated, clearly worried about what was happening on the deck. But she nevertheless turned around and followed Togie.

With only a fearful aura to guide them, it took Togie and Orihime several tries to navigate through what became a maze of rooms and halls within the ship. Eventually they arrived at the kitchen, where much to their surprise they found Aspen and a cowering Eevee. Togie chirped a question to the fox, asking what was going on, while Orihime crooned in concern.

Evan had heard Gnip roaring, and quickened his pace as much as his body would allow without him feeling a ton of pain. He knew the tone of that roar. Gnip was trying to get everyone's attention, from the ferocious vibe he had gotten from it. When Evan had made it to the source of it all, he was surprised at the chaos going on, especially at the captain of the ship. "What's going on here, Captain?" Evan spoke sternly as Scizlite stood in front of him. "If you explain why you are attacking my friends and holding that gun, I won't have to get serious....."

The Kalos trainer looked over as Evan appeared on the scene. "I don't have the specific details, but I think he's being extorted?" He scowled. "Not sure why he felt the need to hit Hikari with a bat, though." He wasn't normally one for swearing, but he was sick and tired of these delays. Two steps forward, one step back. It was almost like the universe was conspiring against their progress, like they were just cosmic playthings.

Well, enough of being toyed with. He reached out, grabbing the mental string that connected him to the gun in Jack's hand. It would be best if the captain didn't have that to threaten them. Focusing as much as he could, he grabbed that string tightly, and yanked on it, intending to pull it towards himself. If he could be especially cool, he would catch the gun and turn it on Jack without shooting himself or someone else.

OOC: Approval for the slight bunny/autohit has been granted.

-==IC: Boat==-

The captain stayed more or less silent, aside from a wry laugh. "No can do, blacksmith. While it would be nice, orders come from up higher."

The Ditto melted away into a more ghostly form. The face of a Mismagius stared back at Pelleas, as it laughed in his face, and then vanished. The Shadow Sneak was aimed at Palomides from behind. The Ditto that was disguised as Missy smirked in triumph, as it watched the Haunter stagger in the air from the sneak attack. It seemed like the Ditto had taken itself for granted at that moment, having thought it had done what was needed, as the disable began to fade...

As the disable began to wear off, Jack felt himself slowly being able to move again. Sadly for him, that revelation came at about the same time that the fact that Xander was attempting to pull his gun away was. His arm was pulled up with the gun; however, as he was still realizing that his hand was working again, it was too late to reassert his hold over the weapon, or shoot the opponent. The captain watched helplessly, as the gun flew across the deck, into the psychic's outstretched hand. It had been a perfect loss. But he wouldn't go down without trying.

"Take a hostage!"

While the Typhlosion and Absol were distracted with each other, the Pinsir continued to flee the scene. Without waiting for further orders, he pushed Jenny out of the way harshly, and dove into a fragmented part of the floor where the Swampert had been thrashing about earlier. It was only when he had smashed the door down with Brick Break, that he had heard the order, clearly through the chaos. He heard a whimpering noise, and knew what to do, as he entered the kitchen.

Jenny's thoughts had been jumbled. She had been pushed out of the way by the Pinsir while Gnip was glaring at the still-rampaging Swampert. The fact that it was headed toward her master had been enough to distract her from the other task, as the Garchomp grabbed the Swampert from behind, and then nodded to Scizlite with an encouraging roar.

The girl landed on the ground roughly and winced, but looked up with a smile, as she saw the deadly weapon fly into Xander's hands perfectly. She was about to let out a congratulatory cheer, but faltered, as she heard Jack yell out about a hostage. Her eyes widened as she pushed herself to her feet. "Guys, where are the others?! We're missing two people!" She stumbled slightly for a moment, but knew that leaving the Pinsir alone, with what Jack said, was a very, very bad idea.

Edited by Destined Blade

IC: Evan Tierra, "You cannot pay back what you row, with money."

Evan tried to gather his thoughts about what had happened. Jack had his gun taken away, and his Pinsir had run off somewhere. The Plasma agent tried to think of anything else he had missed, when he saw Gnip holding Jack's Swampert back from the fray. Evan saw a big chance for Scizlite, and he wasn't gonna miss it.

"Scizlite, Bullet Punch rush!" Evan shouted, as he turned towrads the others. "I can't recall who isn't here, but letting him get a hostage, especially with how things are now, is not ideal!" As Evan spoke, Scizlite advanced towards the restrained Swampert, a fierce look in her eyes. She didn't really get to fight alongside this person, but, even so, she couldn't help but feel his inner fire spreading to her. The Pincer Pokemon brandished her claws, and let loose a barrage of Bullet Punches on the Swampert, Gnip cheering her on as she did so. "Scizorararrarararararararararara!" She exclaimed as she attacked. When it came time for a final uppercut, the Scizor let out a mighty "Scizora!" to show her power to the now very bruised, and definitely unconscious Swampert.......

Edited by Hades

IC: Jamie - Ship

Palomides cursed-er that is swore upon being struck by the Ditto's Shadow Sneak. However with the gun out of Jack's arms, his immediate threat fell beneath that of the Ditto, allowing him to focus on turning his focus on said Ditto. When the Haunter turned towards the Ditto, it was a sadistic grin. The Haunter knew he only needed to use Disable once more.

After all, Scizlite was not the only bug who could unleash pain unto their foes.

No later than when Palomides used Disable to keep the Ditto in the form of Mismagius in place did Pelleas rise up from beneath the Pseudo-Ghost with both arms wreathed in the power of Night Slash. Leaping up with his wings flapping, Pelleas slice into the Ditto's backside and then executing a second set of Night Slashes on the way down.

Releasing the Disable but only increasing the width of his grin, Palomides formed shadowy energy between his hands and unleashed a Shadow Ball right in the false-Ghost's face.

The Haunter allowed himself a brief moment to smirk as he looked down at the unconscious Ditto as it reverted back into it's default state. That'd learn 'em not to impersonate a Ghost.

IC: Dack/Madison/Luke

The change in opponents caught Madison off guard. "O-ominous Wind, get out of there!" she stammered as the vulture descended on Anzu. Having taken the hint from the Mandibuzz's own Tailwind, Anzu summoned a chill breeze aimed not primarily to inflict damage upon her opponents, but rather to aid her in moving swiftly out of the way of Vel's attack.

Madison let out a sigh of relief as Anzu just barely managed to avoid being hit. She may not have been as experienced a battler as Dack, but she knew her Froslass was not the most defensive Pokémon. A hit from that Foul Play would have taken a considerable chunk of Anzu's health. On the other hand, Anzu also held a type advantage over the vulture. "Don't let up, Anzu, Ice Shard!"

Before the Ominous Wind had died down, Anzu whirled around and flung a sharp dagger of ice at her feathered foe, hoping to make Vel think twice about taking to the skies again.

"Great work, Madison," Dack said as he watched the exchange between Anzu and Vel. Unfortunately, this meant he wasn't paying attention to his own side of the fight, and when he looked back he saw that Teddy was covered in a number of sticky strings. "Don't let it slow you down, Teddy; you're used to having sticky paws from all that... honey." A mischievous grin broke out on Dack's face as he pointed dramatically at Baya. "Teddy, Lick!"

Teddy had smelled the sweet aroma of honey the moment the Combee had been released from her Pokéball. And now he was getting orders to do what he'd always wanted to do: eat on the job. With his mouth growing wide with excitement, the little bear cub darted over to Baya as quickly as the sticky strings would let him, aiming to pull the honeycomb Pokémon into a massive bear hug.

IC - Ethan Worth (Baya)/Gavin Braner (Vel) - Chapel, Arena:

Vel's talons closed around empty air and scraped against the top layer of dirt on the field, just barely skirting Anzu's . . . well, skirt. As she flapped her wings to avoid a total ground-crash, she turned toward her target, just in time to see Anzu launch an Ice Shard attack. Thinking quickly, Vel concentrated, causing her eyes to glow. The spear of ice struck, knocking her back several inches. As soon as she righted herself, however, Vel struck back, gathering energy and reflecting a copy of the attack back at Anzu with Mirror Move.

"Nice job, Vel!" Gavin called. "Follow it up with an Air Slash!"

So she did, slicing the air with her wing and launching a blade of wind at the enemy Froslass.

Upon hearing Dack's command, Baya's expression changed--understandably--into one of horror, and she found herself barely capable of coherent thought at Teddy clumsily barreled toward her.

"Don't let them psych you out, Baya!" Ethan called. "He licks you, you bite him back!"

This seemed to snap the Tiny Bee Pokémon out of her stupor. As Teddy's arms closed around her--as much as the tiny little nubs could--and he began to lick her, Baya retaliated with Bug Bite, ensuring that the Tediursa's gluttony would not go unpunished.

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

~ Rise of the Rockets (I II)/Discussion Topic/Side Stories ~

IC: Aspen Seaton

Saya ran across the kitchen with Aspen struggling to keep up with her. "Saya, please, the others are going to make things right, please calm down..." he pleaded, but it wasn't any use. The Eevee pressed against the ground and cried in fear, with Aspen stopping a few inches away with a disheartened look on his face. 

Then Togie and Orihime arrived in the kitchen, frightening Saya anew. She immediately turned around to run away, only to see that Aspen was on the other side, and began whimpering. 

"I think Jack's doing something above deck, whatever it is, I can't calm Saya down..." Aspen explained to the Togekiss as the boat shook and crashed. "Please, if you can help in any way, we have to hurr-"

As the youngest Seaton spoke, the door was broken down by a Pinsir. The Stag Beetle Pokemon had a savage look in its eyes, and it was very clear that something had gone very, very wrong.

IC: Dahlia Seaton

Asriel detected ahead of time the utter failure that was about to occur, but he couldn't do anything as Quil slammed into him, dazing the two of them. Luckily it wasn't long for the Swampert and Ditto to be swiftly taken care of, meaning that things worked out okay in the end. That is however, until Jack ordered his Pinsir to take a hostage, and Jenny pointed out how not everyone was there on the boat. 

"Wait... No..." Dahlia said, her eyes widening. The Absol stood up after clearing his head, and looked at the others intently, barking to get their attention. He then ran off down the stairs inside the boat, with the rest of the Pokemon following. Dahlia stood there still frozen however, refusing to believe what she was suspected was going to happen...

"Your brother is in danger, that's what the Absol is trying to tell you." Aria cut in. "Stop standing there slack-jawed and help him!"

"I... I..." Dahlia stammered, the worry causing her knees to become weak. "Aspen, please hold on!" she cried, running down the stairs. 

The Lucario shook her head at the middle Seaton's hesitation, but then turned to Jack. "Oh, but there is you, the traitorous captain that must be dealt with." she said, immobilizing him with a psychic grip. "You will call off your Pinsir and deliver us to our intended location, or so help Arceus, I will toss you overboard to flounder in the open water." Aria threatened, lifting him off his feet to make a point. "I'll simply scan your mind on how to operate this vessel and share it with the others when you're gone. You are in a very disadvantageous position here, Jack... I hope you choose to make the right choice." 

IC: Sylph

She heard wood splinter nearby and winced. The hallway was not the best location to keep Ryan, but she wanted to avoid moving him again. Stay here, she told him. I am going to investigate, and will return shortly. So saying, she stood and made her way towards the noise, walking the familiar path to the kitchen. She frowned as she saw a Pinsir standing in the doorway, looking menacing.

On the other side stood Aspen and Saya, as well as the two Togekiss that had followed Ray around. A frown came to her face, and she let her presence be known with a Psychic attack from behind. I think it's best if you stand down, she told the bug type. I'm rather fond of these people, and if you harm them, I may have to do something drastic.

Xander was almost more surprised than Jack when he actually managed to catch the gun, but he wasted no time in flipping it around and pointing it at the treacherous captain. Amidst the chaos, he saw Dahlia and her Absol run downstairs, and Aria approach and lift the captain.

"Jack! It's over, understand? Whoever is behind this, they're not any more of a threat to you than we are right now." He felt the gun in his hand, unfamiliar but not uncomfortable. He had a single memory of his father teaching him the basics of using a handgun, but he had been four, maybe five at the most. How did it go?

Exhale as you shot. Squeeze the trigger, don't pull. Hold the gun with both hands, and don't lock your elbows. Yes, he could do this. If he had to, he would.

IC: Dack/Madison

Anzu had not expected to find her own attack launched back at her. She could have taken the hit; after all, she had a natural resistance to ice attacks. However, Anzu knew as well as Madison that she wouldn't be able to take many hits before fainting. She needed every ounce of stamina she could get. Moving swiftly through the air, the Froslass barely managed to avoid getting hit by the Ice Shard.

Unfortunately, she was so focused on the Ice Shard that she didn't even see the Air Slash. Madison shouted a warning, but it came too late. The concentrated blast of air knocked Anzu to the ground.

"Keep your distance, Anzu!" Madison cried as the Froslass slowly picked herself up. "Use another Ominous Wind!" Anzu obliged, allowing herself a smile as she raised her arms to answer the Mandibuzz's concentrated wind with a tempest of her own.

Teddy went from ecstasy to misery in a matter of seconds. He had taken the battle to be won the moment he had claimed his triple-honeycomb prize. The Teddiursa grinned as the first few drops of sweet honey touched his tongue. Then he felt a sharp pain in his stomach. No, not in his stomach -- Teddy refused to believe something so sweet could give him a bellyache that easily -- no, the pain was on his stomach. Looking down in shock, Teddy realized that both he and the Combee were trying to devour each other.

"Keep it up, Teddy!" Dack urged. He knew that it was only a matter of licks before Teddy managed to paralyze Baya.

Teddy, however, would have none of it. With a pint-sized cry of outrage, the bear cub unleashed a Fury Swipes on the Combee for ruining his appetite.

IC: Ryan

Ryan hadn't noticed the Pinsir's absence until the Ditto and Swampert had already been defeated. He had no idea how long the Pinsir had been gone, but judging by Asriel and Aria's reactions, Jack's final Pokémon was up to no good. It was then that Dahlia chased after Asriel as fast as her legs could carry her. The sudden movement startled Ryan, and it took him a moment to realize that the Heroine of Reverse intended to stop the Pinsir by herself.

"Dahlia, wait!" Ryan sped after her, pausing only long enough to call back his unconscious Mismagius. He looked up at Xander and Aria as he ran past them. "Don't do anything stupid!" he warned. And then he was down the stairs.

After a moment's hesitation, Ampere decided to follow after Ryan. Quil hung back, directing a low growl at the captain. He would keep an eye on Jack -- as well as on Xander and Aria -- to ensure the situation didn't get out of hand. The Typhlosion knew as much as his trainer that killing Jack would make them no better than Déoza.

The pair of Togekiss quickly realized that barging into the kitchen might not have been the best way to approach a frightened aura. The poor Eevee was scared out of her wits, as if everyone in the room might suddenly attack her. Togie quickly apologized to the Eevee while Orihime tried to explain that they meant no harm.

Then a Pinsir burst through the doorway with a ferocious roar, causing all of the room's occupants to jump in surprise. The Eevee seemed even more terrified than before, and for a moment the Togekiss shared her fear.

That moment passed when yet another Pokémon appeared in the doorway, a Gardevoir whose frown would have frightened Togie further had he not known that Sylph was on their side. Sylph's attack on the Pinsir was all the Togekiss needed to bring them to their senses. With a rallying chirp, Togie rushed toward their foe with Extremespeed. Orihime closed her eyes and focused, sending Extrasensory waves at the stagbeetle.

-==IC: Jenny==-

"That. Is. Enough." Jenny grit her teeth, as she stepped forward. She was not as threatening compared to how Xander and Aria currently were, but she gave very disapproving looks to both of them. "Aria, stand down. Keep him immobilized, but do not do that." She focused her look especially to the Lucario. She was not pleased at the lifting, or the threats, and was making that rather known.

The captain was simply hanging around. He grit his teeth, but smiled wryly at the Lucario. "Do you think that will help anything? Are you willing to risk danger to your fellows, simply for a show of... intimidation, perhaps? Or to boost your own ego? Listen to the girl, Lucario; stand down."

-==IC: Pinsir/Others(mini-jam)==-

The Pinsir scowled, as he was bombarded by the three successive attacks. He forced himself to move forward still, however, intent on finishing the mission, and securing the day for his master.

Saya couldn't handle this, it was getting too much. The two Togekiss swooping in out of nowhere, but now there was a far scarier looking bug out for blood. What was she to do but try and get out? There was nowhere to hide in the kitchen, it was her only choice. She ran away from Aspen, and towards the door, desperately trying to escape.

The darting Eevee was quickly growing on the Pinsir's nerves. He wasn't sure what she was doing, and why seemed so odd compared to other Pokemon, but the Pinsir wasn't intent on anything leaving. The bug type's eyes blinked, as he prepared and launched a Feint Attack toward the Eevee.

Aspen watched in worry as Saya's condition worsened, his eyes widening with horror when it seemed Jack's Pokemon took notice of her and was about to strike. "Saya, no!" he cried, running forward as quickly as he could. Without stopping to think about the consequences, he youngest Seaton threw himself in a diving slide towards the panicking Eevee and scooped her into his arms. He held her close to him to protect her against the Pinsir's strike, but left himself directly in the collision course...

The right 'horn' of the Pinsir struck empty air. However, the second horn had better luck. As he noticed the blow landing on the trainer, the Pinsir reached out quickly, and grabbed a hold of Aspen's foot. He was aware of how to deal more damage to a leg, and the crunching sound he could hear as his horn quickly pushed against the leg reaffirmed that fact...

Edited by Destined Blade

Orihime was shocked when the Pinsir rushed past their attacks. Then she squawked in surprise when she saw the stagbeetle grab Aspen by the leg. She lashed out at the bug with her mind again, while Togie landed on the Pinsir's shoulders and flapped his wings, trying desperately to pull him away from Aspen and the cowering Eevee.

IC: Aspen/Dahlia Seaton

The sickening crunch happened so quick. Aspen's breath cut away, and though he tried, he couldn't stifle his scream. Pain engulfed his leg and the youngest Seaton attempted to fight back the tears as best as he could. But even through all this, he held Saya close to him to shield her from the Pinsir's wrath. He was almost useless now, but at least he could protect the Eevee and keep her safe. 

Dahlia heard the scream, causing her blood to run cold. No no no no no no no... she thought, hurrying her running. She and Asriel ran through the hall and came up on the hall, looking through the broken down door to see Jack's Pinsir bombarded with attacks from two Togekiss. Aspen lay on the floor, his leg bent horribly out of shape. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO 

The gardener's knees nearly buckled, and she gripped the sides of her head in disbelief. How could she have been so slow? Why hadn't she made sure her brother was safe beforehand? Then inside of her, something unchained. And she felt emotion she hadn't felt in a very, very long time...

Anger.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!"

Dahlia hunched over briefly, with an aura of dark black smoke forming around her feet, swirling around the middle Seaton. A portion of the smoke formed into two shadowy wings behind her back with wicked red talons, and when she raised her head, her skin was deathly pale, her eyes turned a deep dark red. Asriel was taken aback by this sudden transformation, but his trainer seemed to lose focus on anything else as she turned towards the Stag Beetle Pokemon, slowly raising a finger at him. 

"I will make you pay." was all she said, before preparing to rush at the Pokemon who had dared harm her little brother.

IC: Aria 

Aspen's screams reached Aria's ears, and she shook her head after Jack talked in his nonplussed voice. "You've brought a great deal of harm to one of the passengers of your vessel, and you also have the gall to act like you are in control? Wrong decision, captain." the Lucario said, suddenly jerking the captain down onto the deck of the boat facefirst, hard. "I'm not going to say this twice. Call off your Pinsir, now. Take us to our designated location, and let yourself be turned into the local authorities. Otherwise I shall take matters into my own hand, regardless of if I lose the moral high ground or not. You've hurt one of our own, and remember-you are in a very unfavorable position right now. Act intelligently."

Edited by JiMing: Joining Sectors

". . ." Jenny narrowed her eyes, as Aria ignored her. "Gnip, Flamethrower." She said calmly, but firmly, as she kept her eyes trained directly on the Lucario who was currently just taking matters into her own hands.

The Garchomp roared out in protest of the treatment, and when Jenny gave her order, advanced toward Aria, and sent a stream of flames toward the rogue Lucario. Gnip did not like the fact that she needed to fight one of their comrades, but to attack a human like this, especially a relatively defenseless one like this, was not something she could condone. And if she needed to resort to this to drive that fact in, she would do it.

Ryan heard Aspen's scream and doubled his pace. When he finally reached the kitchen, he froze. Aspen was lying on the floor, writhing in pain. The Pinsir was standing over him while Togie and Orihime tried to pull him away from the Seaton kid.

And then Dahlia screamed.

It wasn't a scream of terror or agony. It was a cry of utter rage, something Ryan hadn't thought possible from the gardener girl. Shadowy wings formed at her back and her glare, although directed at the Pinsir, sent a chill down Ryan's spine. He stood frozen for a moment as she started to rush toward the giant stagbeetle.

He looked fearfully at Sylph. "What do we do?"

The blacksmith had mostly held back for the battle. But he couldn't sit on the sidelines any longer. "What are you doing?" he asked Jenny. "Why shouldn't we threaten him? After all he's done to us? I'm sick and tired of letting our enemies get away with everything!" Despite the heat of Gnip's flamethrower he took a step toward the Plasma girl, nodding toward the gun in Xander's hands. "The captain certainly wasn't about to hesitate in killing us."

"And if we do the same, does that not make us just as bad?" Jenny looked at Paul with a sharp frown. "Jack is beaten and he knows it, or he wouldn't be acting this way. He's basically out of the fight totally, and immobilized. Why should we threaten him? Why should we hurt him further, even kill him?" The girl frowned further. "If he dies, we're stranded here. I doubt any of us knows the knowledge to move this boat without him, and I really don't think Aria can just transfer the knowledge like she says... Why are we taking this risk? Why? When he can just be brought to Liberty, and they can deal with him?" She shook her head, not liking the situation at all.

THe trainer kept the gun trained during everything, a hard look in his eyes. When Aria slammed the captain down, though, she went too far. He started to say something, but Jenny ordered Gnip forward first. His mouth clicked shut, and he nodded at Jenny's words. "No, you both have points. We need to lock him up until we can figure something else out. For now, I'm heading downstairs." He found and flicked on the safety of the gun and put it into his jacket pocket.

Sylph tried to stop the Pinsir, but was just a fraction too slow. She heard Aspen's leg crack and wanted to yell her frustration. Then Dahlia arrived, and Sylph felt a moment of fear as the girl was enshrouded in aura. She glanced to Ryan. Let Dahlia deal with this, she said as she moved towards Aspen. Trying to ignore the terrifying presence that the Seaton girl gave off, she knelt. There was not much she could do for the limb. It was mangled beyond her ability, just like Ryan Hikari's arm. Just like Xander's ribs.

She focused instead on relieving some of the pain through a mixture of Heal Pulse and opening her own empathetic walls to take some of that pain onto herself. It wasn't too bad, really. Her arm had been an inferno, so long ago. This was a hot stove in comparison. Painful, making her want to shy away, but not all-consuming, not the amount she was taking.

Why are the men on this ship so eager to throw themselves into danger? she asked, as a general question to distract from the sensations.

IC: Paul/Terry/Quil

Paul glared at the captain as his fist clenched in anger. He so desperately wanted to do to him what he couldn't do to McKinley. But he knew he was fighting a losing battle. Aria was the only one who seemed to agree with him, and Paul wasn't sure the Lucario would know -- or care -- when they had crossed the line.

Terry whined.

"Fine," Paul growled. "Let's find some rope to tie up his hands. I wouldn't worry about making it too tight, though."

The flames on Quil's back flared in warning as he growled at Aria. If the Lucario chose not to stand down, she'd have more than one firebreather to deal with.

OOC: Post with a slight taste of JiM Jam.

IC: Jamie - Boat

Jamie was conflicted. On one hand, she didn't like the idea of finishing off a defenseless opponent. Heroes fought the bad guys and then sent them to jail when they were done, right? And this would be the first Déoza agent she encountered that didn't have a death wish, Jamie thought as she shuddered at the memories of the train and Havoc. On the other hand, Jenny had just attacked an ally. With fire. That was not hero. At all. If she had asked Jamie to restrain Aria, she probably would have had Palomides restrain her the way they restrained Jack. Plus there was the issue of Jack himself. He had been more scared of Déoza than all of them combined. Getting him to go back to piloting the boat now was gonna be hard... if they were lucky. Déoza had been bad news from day one.

Which leads to the issue of Paul...

Pelleas was sympathetic to Paul but at the same time wary of him. Jack was not the first Déoza agent the Heracross had come across. Déoza had only ever been bad news He did not like having a Deoza operative anywhere near Jamie. Which was the same line of thought that made him suspicious of Paul. The Heracross did not know going on the boat that he was going with someone who worked for Déoza. He was hesitant to side with any Déoza agent.

Palomides was scoffing at everyone. They were all too soft. This 'Jack' guy just tried to harm them right? Why shouldn't they erase him? If no one else wanted to get there hands dirty well... it wouldn't have been the first time he'd done it. The large unpopularity of the idea was what kept Jack safe from Palomides. He was -not- going to cross everyone on that boat. That was that Jack idiot's job apparently. As for getting stranded, there were other methods to getting away from the boat. They had no shortage of Pokemon there. They'd find a way onto land pretty quick if they actually cared to try and not just complain about it. Probably. And well, -he- certainly wouldn't be stranded. If he had to end his association with Jamie here, well, them's the breaks.

Aria briefly lifted Jack up and slammed him back down onto the deck once more so that she could focus on evading the Flamethrower. She glanced at Gnip with a raised eyebrow before using Extreme Speed to close the gap, intending to strike the Garchomp's abdomen with a shoulder check.

"Dialga, grant me strength," said Jamie before her eyes began to glow. Before even a moment had passed, words had popped into her head. Whether they were own or Dialga's was a mystery but she opened her mouth and shouted:

"Time will Freeze!"

The air around both Aria and Gnip grew very cold for a brief moment. If Aria or Gnip were paying attention to their surroundings, they would have noticed the dramatic drop in temperature, especially since fire had just been so close. Even those further away from the pair would have noticed a dip in the temperature. Maybe Gnip was distracted by her attempts to catch the Aura Pokémon with her flames and likewise Aria was focused on targeting the Mach Pokémon's abdomen. None of that mattered though, as both Pokémon suddenly stopped, along with time around them.

Pelleas and Palomides could hardly register the fact that Jamie could just make two Pokémon in the midst of fighting just stop, completely and out of nowhere. Even with Disable, they could still speak and show some sign that they were alive. That they were ever alive. As if they were statues or they had been encased in ice, and yet not an inch of the stuff could be seen. Maybe they had missed the memo about Jamie's Heroine of Time. In fact, they probably did. Jamie probably forgot to send it out.

Without waiting for anyone to respond (like she had a choice), Jamie called to the Heracross, "Pelleas, quickly... Get Jack away from Aria and Gnip."

The Heracross flapped his wings to increase the speed with which he maneuvered over to Jack. Sweeping him up before he could do anything whilst simultaneously placing locking arms so that resistance would be futile, Pelleas was by Jamie's side again within moments.

"Please retreat Gnip as soon as I let go..." Jamie said to Jenny, "Palomides, prepare to restrain Aria if necessary... The good guys should not fight each other," Jamie said between pants, her inexperience with her power causing her to tire out very quickly, all the while Jamie, Pelleas (and thus Jack) and Palomides backed away from Aria and Gnip.

Jenny paused, confused at what was happening. As Jamie asked her request, the red haired girl paused for a moment, slightly conflicted on what to do. She nodded slightly, as the Rocket girl had a point, no matter how much she disagreed with Aria's actions. As soon as she was able to, Jenny recalled Gnip, and watched cautiously, still wary at the situation in general.

-==IC: Pinsir==-

Oh no. Those were about the Pinsir's thoughts, as he turned and saw the girl that had so rudely burst in uninvited become something... different. The Pinsir's eyes widened as the girl rushed toward him. He took a step back, but nudged that human boy's arm. The Pinsir slowly grew more and more fearful, as he realized he was cornered, the two Togekiss on either side blocking that idea as well.

Unbelievable.

This was the word that rang within Evan's mind, as he stared in wonder at what Jamie had done. He couldn't condone what had happened to cause the Heroine of Time to do what she did, However, he could not help but be in awe of how Jamie had managed to do something that not even Seth could do. She had, for at least few seconds, managed to stop time for Gnip and Aria.

"That is true, the good guys shouldn't fight each other, Jamie." Evan spoke as he nodded at Jamie and then turned towards Jack. "I can't say I liked what the Lucario did to you, or what my Garchomp was ordered to do as a result. But I also can't say that you were exactly in a position to talk big, so I'll take what I can get. From the sound of things, though, your Pinsir succeeded. But, it seems he succeeded a little too well."

"From the sound of that second scream, I'd say Dahlia is angry." Evan continued, concern very apparent in his tone. "I don't know what she is capable of, seeing as I've never really known her to be the angry type. But I am certain it won't be pretty." Evan then walked over to Jack, making eye contact with the treacherous captain. Evan gave him a look that would make a Pyroar mind it's own business, and spoke.

"I can't be certain I can stop her from doing something terrible, Jack." Evan continued gravely. "I don't like what you were going to do to us, and I certainly don't like what your Pinsir definitely did. But I also don't want anyone, be it human or pokemon, dead. What's it gonna be?"

Edited by Hades

IC: Xander Cruize

He descended into the ship without waiting for the others. It was while he was on the stairs that pain jolted through his leg. He stumbled, nearly fell, but shoved the false pain off to one side, following it to its source. Aspen. Xander cursed, hurrying down the last few steps. He liked Aspen, he was a good kid. With his face set in grim determination, Xander stalked down the hallway, taking deep breaths to calm his ribs.

The gun was a weight in his pocket. Once this was all over, once they'd made land, he would see about getting ammo for it, figure out the basics of how to maintain it. There were too many threats these days for him to rely solely on his team.

He paused as he turned a corner and saw Ryan Hikari in the hallway. Sylph must have gone on to help the others. With a sigh, the Kalosian knelt by the older guy. "Hey, how you doing?"

She'd done all she could do to help Aspen, and she now turned back to the Pinsir and the rest of the group. Seeing that the bug-type was outnumbered and outmatched, she offered him one final out. If you surrender now, we'll go easy on you. You'll still leave here unconscious, but you won't be dead. So that's something.

It was, in part, a bluff. Dahlia seemed almost possessed, and Sylph wasn't sure if she could keep the girl from murdering the Pinsir without hurting her. She would try, though. Killing someone who was actively attacking you was one thing. Killing a foe who had given up, just for revenge was an entirely different field.

Edited by Carbevoir

IC: Aria

"Time will flow!"

To Aria, it was as if Gnip suddenly blinked out of existence. The Lucario's eyes widened in shock, having only barely registered the drop in temperature from earlier.

Did that girl really just do that...?? she questioned. Aria had a much more pressing issue, however. Without Gnip to strike, she was unable to halt her forward momentum, and about to launch herself right off the vessel...

"Rats."

IC: Aspen/Dahlia Seaton

Aspen's pain had been eased quite literally by the assistance of Sylph, with the younger sibling holding back his tears and speaking in shaky voice. "S-Saya... The others... Please k-keep them safe..." he pleaded holding the Eevee close to his chest. "Please, Sylph..."

Dahlia continued forward, not registering Ryan's fear, Sylph's offer of mercy, or anything else that was going on in the room. Her focus was strictly on the Pinsir in front of her, who she was about to run straight into... And the Heroine of Reverse was cloaked in shadows, her form melting away into darkness. She had for all intents and purposes, disappeared from the scene.

Before long though, a black vortex appeared on the floor behind the Stag Beetle Pokemon, with Dahlia rising out of it. Her entire body was made up of smoky darkness, the only distinct feature being her pure red eyes glowing with malevolent and eldritch power. The demonic wings on her back split into spiked tendrils. When Dahlia spoke in a distorted, low voice, it was a single short phrase.

"For my brother."

The tendrils on her back lashed out and immediately began slashing away at Jack's Pinsir mercilessly. The Champion of Reverse did not relent during her assault one single bit, with red talons raking her foe from all angles. When it seemed like there would be no respite, it ended. In some act of mercy, Dahlia struck the Pinsir with a final upwards slash, sending the Pokemon crashing through the ceiling onto the deck above, unconscious but alive.

Afterwards, the shadows grew larger still, and the dark shape of the heroine of Reverse gripped her head as the energy kept increasing. Everything in the kitchen began to shake as the swirling vortex of reverse began clearly rising out of the new hole above the room. "Hnnngh... Gah..." she groaned, clearly having trouble reining in her powers. If something didn't happen soon, it seemed as though Dahlia would tear apart the boat with her reverse abilities...

Edited by JiMing: Joining Sectors

The blacksmith's eyes widened as time froze for the two combatants. Where was that power when McKinley had attacked? He pushed the thought to the back of his mind; bringing it up would likely only cause more in-fighting.

His attention was drawn away by a sudden crash as the Pinsir burst through the deck and landed on the floor, unconscious. Paul stared at the bug for a moment before turning back to face Jack. "Looks like you just ran out of options, Captain."

Ryan didn't know what to do. Sylph had managed to somewhat calm his panic by giving him the explicit order of doing nothing. Not that he could have done anything else if he'd wanted to. He could only watch in horror as Dahlia -- or whatever dark force had overtaken the once-gentle gardener -- pummeled the Pinsir into oblivion. But even with the threat taken care of, the shadowy essence around Dahlia did not go away. If anything it grew stronger, threatening to destroy the entire kitchen... if not the entire boat.

The lights flickered as the room shook. A stack of plates fell to the ground and shattered. Dahlia's powers were growing further and further out of control. Yet despite the obvious danger, Ryan stood rooted to the ground. His legs felt weak as he stared at Dahlia, unsure what to do. He knew he couldn't just stand by and watch; he had to do something, but his body refused to cooperate and his mind couldn't focus enough to determine what course of action to even take. All he knew was that Dahlia needed to get her powers under control before somebody died.

Ampere watched the situation unfold, and glanced nervously at her trainer, awaiting orders. But it was clear from Ryan's paled face that he wasn't in a state to give the Flaafy direction. Dark energy was swirling around Dahlia, and glass was shattering left and right. Ampere gave one last look at her trainer before advancing toward Dahlia. It was time she took matters into her own hands.

Trying her best to focus amidst the chaos, Ampere sent a low-powered Thunderbolt at the Heroine of Reverse. The tendril of electricity struck the girl, causing her body to convulse for a moment. Dahlia cried out and the darkness suddenly vanished as she crumpled to the floor.

"Dahlia!"

Ampere's attack shocked Ryan into action as he rushed over to the girl's side, gently lifting her head. Her breathing was shallow but steady, and her skin had regained some of its color. A thousand thoughts raced through Ryan's mind. He tried to force them aside as he glanced around the room. Aspen was badly injured, but it seemed he'd be okay thanks to Sylph. Togie and Orihime were both in a state of shock, still trying to comprehend what they had just witnessed. Ampere bowed her head sadly, bleating a soft apology for her impulsive attack. Asriel merely stared at Dahlia with his stalwart eyes; Ryan couldn't tell if the Absol was impressed or worried by the girl's display of power.

Nor did he himself know what to think about it. All he knew was that from the silence above deck, it seemed the battle was at last over. But at what cost? "S-Sylph..." he muttered in a shaking voice. He nodded at Aspen, then looked back at Dahlia. "We... we need to get these two to the medical ward. Now."

OOC: Should probably mention, auto-hit approved by JiMing.

Edited by Konuju

The Gardevoir flinched as the attack hit Dahlia. A moment later, Ryan was speaking, and it took Sylph a second to catch the threads of thought. Slowly, she nodded. Hikari is also in need of attention. I don't want to move them without help, though. We could end up doing more harm than good. She stood, dusting off the front of her 'skirt.' Stay here with them, and I'll go get help.

She walked out of the kitchen, trying to hide the trembling that went through her whole body. Tierra, Xander, Ryan, Aspen, and Dahlia. Most of their group had been injured in the past two days, and some of them were just downright scary at times. What would tomorrow bring for them, if things kept going in this vein? She paused as she saw Xander kneeling by the insensate Ryan. Her trainer seemed tired-- no, weary. His eyes had dark bags under them, his shoulders slumped, and the corners of his mouth turned down. His brow was furrowed as he focused on keeping Hikari awake.

I am going to find the ship doctor, she told him. The Seatons are injured in the kitchen.

He just nodded, waving as she passed him. There was a distance there, a rift that hadn't been before. Xander sighed, slowly standing. "I'll go see if Jenny and-- Janet? Geeze, I'm awful with names. Anyways, I'll go see if they can help us. I'm not much for lifting." He glanced at Ryan, scowling. "Stay awake for a couple more minutes, alright man?"

-==IC: Ryan==-

Ryan barely managed a thumbs up in his very semi-conscious state.

-==IC: Jack==-

Jack sighed, as everything seemed to happen all at once.

"Alright, alright. I know a lost fight when I see one." He sounded distant, however. "I'll take you to Four Island, since there is no other choice in the matter as it stands." The captain's eyes seemed as hopeless as his fighting had been. The bat clattered to the ground, as he retreated the fainted Pokemon.

Within the few hours after, the boat slowly began to move again, as the injured people were checked up on, and everything else dealt with that needed to be.. They had gotten their wounds treated as best as possibly could be, however, the ones with broken bones were kept immobile until they could get further treatment...

Meanwhile, Jenny sighed, as she watched the water as they sailed past. She had ignored being checked on; and had taken this break from watching Jack while someone else took a shift. She seemed melancholic despite the 'win' too, both due to the costs, and due to what had occurred on the deck when the battle was winding down. She wondered whether everyone was just trying to win, ignoring all common sense... or if there was just plain something she was missing.

OOC: Jam with Merc, whoo hoo.

IC: Dahlia Seaton/Sylph

Dahlia stirred in her bed, groaning as she slowly opened her eyes. She didn't recognize her surroundings and gasped, jumping up. Ryan and Aspen were in beds of their own room, and Sylph appeared to be comforting Saya, the Eevee sitting in her lap while looking directly at the youngest Seaton.

"Sylph...??" she croaked. Dahlia coughed, and gripped her head. "What... I-I can't remember a thing... I saw Aspen h-hurt, and then everything went dark..."

The Gardevoir looked up as Dahlia awoke. She continued peting the Eevee in her lap as she spoke. Giratina's power overtook you when you saw your brother had been injured. You were . . . rather angry. Take a drink, and I'll try to explain what happened, though it all happened a bit fast.

"Over... Wha?" she replied confusedly. Dahlia looked to the side and grabbed the cup of water. After parching her thirst, the gardener turned back to Sylph. "W-what do you mean by Giratina's power...? I got angry? Wha...?"

Sylph began to explain what had transpired after Dahlia had entered the kitchen. When you began to glow, I decided it would be best to try ending things, but you didn't notice. You sent the Pinsir through the ceiling. I'm not going to say it was heroic. It wasn't. It was, however, impressive, and you did it out of love for your brother.

I think you may need to talk with Tierra and that other girl, see if there is a way to put a limit on how much sway the power has over you.

Dahlia listened, her eyes widening with shock. "I-I-I'm sorry, I... I didn't mean to..."

A lump formed in the gardener's throat. How could she have gone so out of control? What would the others say to her? She looked over at Aspen, questioning if she had even helped at all.

"U-um... Should I go?"

Sylph shook her head, smiling softly. You need to recover as well. It drained you, and then Ampere hit you with an electric attack. You should stay here and rest up until the medical officer says otherwise. Speaking of, I should go inform him that you are awake.

"No no, I'm fine." Dahlia said, even though her head was splitting at the moment. The gardener pushed herself off the bed and went to stand up, looking over at Sylph. "I'll be alright, I promise..."

The Gardevoir shook her head. We'll leave that for the doctor to say. For now, just relax. She lifted Saya, setting her in the chair as she herself stood to walk out. I'm begining to see that it's not just the men on this ship who are stubborn...

"Could you be a little less stubborn maybe?!" Dahlia snapped. Then she paused, and went silent. She had ended up in this position by losing her patience after all... And here she was again, already losing her patience.

The gardener went back to lay down on the bed and sighed, struggling to make sense of what was happening and trying desperately to recall what she had done to the Pinsir. "What's happening to me...?"

Sylph paused as Dahlia shouted at her. She glanced over her shoulder, frowning softly. You are learning that your power, like all, has a price. You have to figure out how to control it, or it will surely control you. Rest your eyes. You aren't leaving this room until you've been cleared to go by the doctor.

Dahlia stared up at the ceiling with a contemplative look, and closed her eyes. "I'll... I'll rest my eyes." she decided, and sighed. "Sorry for all this, Sylph..."

Do not be. You did not ask to be chosen. With that, the psychic type left the room, thinking sad thoughts and wondering what price some people would pay.

Paul rested on his bed, his back propped up against the wall. He held his Xtransciever in one hand, and his gun in the other. The device felt almost warm in his hand compared to the cold metallic weapon. On the screen, he had pulled up his wife's contact page. Just one click of a button and he'd be talking to her.

But for a man who wouldn't have hesitated to pull the trigger on McKinley or Jack, he couldn't bring himself to press that tiny button. Perhaps it was because he was so eager to shoot that he felt he couldn't call Anna. His thoughts traveled back to the deck of the boat. Xander had held Jack's gun in his hands, while Aria kept the captain motionless in the air. For the umpteenth time, Paul considered what he would have done had the gun been in his hands instead. Many would call him a monster for trying to protect the friends he had made on this boat.

He wondered if that accusation would be right.

The aftermath of the attack had been a blur. The Seatons had both been injured, and Paul only caught vague descriptions from Ryan and Sylph of Dahlia tapping into some dark power. He didn't know the exact details, but from what he could gather, the girl had been trying to protect her brother. In the same vein, Paul wanted nothing more than to protect his daughter.

But whereas Aspen was undoubtedly grateful to his sister, Paul couldn't help but wonder if Ellen even wanted to be saved. McKinley's words still haunted him. But even if the Ford Agent had merely been planting lies to sow confusion, would Ellen really want to go home with a father who was willing to murder in cold blood?

Paul had recently returned from keeping an eye on Jack. Those on the boat who remained uninjured had agreed to take turns watching the captain, to ensure he didn't try to deviate from their course. It had taken all of Paul's effort not to smack the captain upside the head or strangle him. It was the hardest thing he had ever done. His rage terrified him. All he needed was to bring Ellen home safely. Why should it matter whether Jack or McKinley or Ford suffered for their transgressions? But somehow it did matter. Paul knew he couldn't rest easy until they had paid for keeping him from his daughter.

From the Xtransciever screen, Anna's picture smiled up at him with unseeing eyes. She had no idea what he had been through. Just as he had no idea what Ellen was going through. Closing his eyes against sudden tears, Paul turned the Xtransciever off and let the device fall to the floor with a clatter.

Even if by some miracle he managed to bring Ellen home without a scratch, their family would never be the same.

"So you're the self-proclaimed leader of this merry little group."

Ryan stood silent, arms folded across his chest.

"Not unlike myself, I might add. One might almost call you captain of your small army of trainers. It's a tough job, being a captain; be it of a humble ship or of this little hero squad you got going on here. I must admit, you have my respect."

Ryan's eyes narrowed as he glanced at the clock. How had it not even been ten minutes since his shift had started?

"Of course, one thing every good captain has to deal with at one point or another... that's casualties. Or injuries, if you prefer to be less melodramatic about it. You've got what, half your team in the medical ward? And me, I've got a nice hole in my kitchen. Not to mention in one of the bedrooms. I mean, I could always market it as a chance to sleep under the stars, but I think most passengers I'd pick up would prefer not to wake up to an unexpected Wingull making a nest in their hair. But hey, such is life at sea."

Ryan pushed himself off of the wall and strode toward Jack. "Don't you dare suggest the damage to your boat is comparable to the damage to my friends," he said in an icy voice.

"Oh, of course not!" Jack grinned innocently. "You've only got half your team ready for battle -- well, maybe less; Ginger seemed kind of out of it, though Papa Bear more than makes up for it. But that's the beauty of the S.S. Coral; you can knock a few holes in her, run her through an underwater warzone, and she's still seaworthy. Can the same be said for your persistent band of do-gooders?"

"You lost." Ryan glared at the captain. "You have no right to mock us."

"It's not mocking," Jack reassured him. "Just some friendly advice, from one captain to another. Your team certainly seems to attract a lot of trouble. And rest assured, if you keep making Ford your enemy, I don't envy you the battles you'll have to come. Just remember, a good captain knows when to retreat."

Ryan frowned. "I thought a good captain went down with his ship."

Jack flashed a grin. "True, but he tries to avoid doing that if he can help it. For both his sake and his ship's."

"If I give up now," Ryan said through gritted teeth, "then everyone recovering in the medical wing will have injured themselves for nothing."

"Suit yourself." Jack shrugged. "I mean, to be fair, we are talking about a group that cost McKinley an eye. Not an easy feat. And whatever it was that sent my Pinsir through the roof--"

"Shut up." For a moment Ryan looked like he was about to punch the captain in the jaw. Instead the Liberty agent returned to his post at the wall and leveled his glare at Jack. "You're supposed to be piloting this ship."

"I am! I am!" The captain seemed hurt by the sudden interruption, but nevertheless turned to look back out the window. "Really though, with all these instruments, the ship practically steers herself. All I really need to do is watch for sharp rocks and the like."

"Watch harder."