Pokémon: Rise Of The Rockets

Parugi

IC: Dahlia

When Gavin didn't answer, Dahlia repeated her question. The trainer's Alakazam looked at her, and the gardener suddenly realized that Gavin had fallen unconscious. "Oh, I didn't realize..." She cast a look around the empty chamber and tried to forget the monstrosities they had just fought. "Xander's probably waiting for me," she muttered. "After all, we still have a job to do." The girl looked back at the Alakazam. "I trust you'll be safe here until we return. If things get bad, I guess you can always teleport out."

With one last glance at Gavin, Dahlia and her Pokémon made their way to the next chamber. The middle Seaton half expected to find another of their party maimed like Gavin. Instead, the fifth chamber was completely barren. Her thoughts drifted back to her siblings. Aspen was probably recovering well with his oldest sister to keep him company. That was something to be grateful for: not too long ago Olivia and Aspen would have refused to even sit in the same room together. Her brother's injuries were nothing compared to Gavin's, but it was enough of a shock to remind the Seatons that they were a family. Not unlike the events surrounding her own kidnapping at the hands of Alistair.

So occupied was Dahlia with her reminiscing that she hardly noticed she had passed through the sixth chamber, as empty as the last, and was well on her way to the seventh.

IC: Dack

For a moment Dack was silent, struggling to remember how many Sins Ethan and Gavin had mentioned appearing. "Four... five... that kid from Fortree makes six..." The Rocket agent looked over at Jamie and Richard. "Unless there's an Eighth Deadly Sin I don't know about, Sloth would be the last one left. That is, of course, assuming the others were actually defeated..."

Konuju: Kopaka and Nuju meet the Spear of Fusion

Quotes from throughout the years:

2001: "Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer." --Nokama

2002: "Mata Nui faces perhaps its greatest challenge -- one that will test our courage, our strength, and our belief in each other." --Tahu

2003: "So... it has begun, my brother. But soon, it will also end..." --Makuta

2004: "Your journey must end." "By the will of the Great Spirit, it has just begun!" --Makuta and Vakama

2005: "Our destinies are not written in stone, set in place. They are something we have to find for ourselves." --Vakama

2006: "Don't you realize you're fighting for a lost cause?" "Maybe. But don't you realize those are the only ones worth fighting for?" --Axonn and Brutaka

2007: "Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory." --Hahli

2008: "Dive into the darkness, Ignite the flame within. Now, there is no turning back. Make the future... begin." --Narrator, The Final Battle Animation

2009: "It is said that all endings are merely beginnings waiting to be born." --Mata Nui

2010: "All journeys must come to an end, but this time, there is a new beginning as well. ... All that has gone before, my friends, has only served to give birth to this new day. Let unity, duty and destiny be your guides." --Mata Nui

2011: "Not dead. Just frozen. They’ll thaw out … eventually. I’m tired of villains spouting gibberish." --Kopaka

IC - Ethan Worth - The Chamber of Isolation:

Ethan gave only a small nod before proceeding, Ryan in tow.

It did not take long to reach the fourth chamber. The sight before them was . . . startling. Multiple pools of red--perhaps blood?--dotted the yellowish arena. What truly caught Ethan's eye, however, were the five bodies still present in the room: The unconscious forms of Irest and Vel on opposite sides of the room, and then closer to the door, Dothe and Talsim, both of whom attended to the motionless body of--

"Gavin!"

The Rocket Agent ran to his friend's side, skidding to a halt beside him. Gavin's face was pale and his eyes were shut, but he still breathed. That was, at least, a relief. Nonetheless, he was in bad shape, and it was clear why. Though Ethan could not begin to describe what had happened, he could tell that Gavin's right arm was completely destroyed--all that remained of it below the elbow was a twisted mass that should not have been its current mixture of color.

"Jeez, buddy, what happened to you?" Ethan muttered. He patted Gavin's face. "Hey, Gav. You awake?"

Gavin stirred slightly. "S-stop . . ." the younger agent groaned, attempting to turn onto his side. He only managed to curl up instead, heaving heavily and uttering half-broken curses.

"Can't say I'm happy to find you in such bad shape," he said. "You look like you took on an army." He glanced at Dothe and Talsim, recoiling at their disapproving glares. "Sorry." Ethan picked up Irest and Vel's Poké Balls, recalling both.  "I don't suppose you can teleport him out of here, Tal? He's in no condition to go on."

Talsim shook his head. We're blocked. There's something else here.

Ethan let out a long sigh. "Of course . . . And the others? Where'd they go?" He followed Talsim's gaze to the other doorway. The Rocket Agent bit his lip. "Alright . . ." He scratched his head, then looked at Ryan. "Can you help these two get him back outside to Goldhawk's people while I go on ahead? I still need to fish Skye out of this mess." Ethan looked back at Gavin. "Or try to, anyway . . ."

IC - Kyle Eston/Esen Windred/Bounty/Jackson Sang/All - Between Chambers:

Kyle was troubled.

Unlike the others, he had not had any interactions with any of the Sins. The only parallels that came to mind were Kane in Opelucid and Eight, but Sloth felt . . . rather different. Whereas there had been something of a clear goal in mind for both of those opponents--a desire to dominate--Sloth seemed much more like he was simply acting for the fun of it. So, he couldn't help but wonder: What purpose did his presence in the world--and more pressing, his presence here--serve to accomplish?

"So," Esen said, nudging his shoulder. Kyle looked at her. "You're a sloth, huh?"

"What?"

"Sloth was interested in you," she said, pointing a thumb over her shoulder to the rest of the group. "If what these guys have been saying is true, then that means you've done something 'sinful,' right? What'd you do?"

Kyle shook his head. "I don't know," he admitted. "Not in this context, anyway . . . Sloth's a weird sin, so it could've been anything, right?"

"It would have to be something to do with apathy," Bounty cut in from behind them. The two looked at the Shadow Admin. "Either laziness, by the more well-known definition, or a mental lacking--depression." He shrugged. "It's the Sin of Despair and the Sin that Kills Time Itself. So, yes, a rather broad range--but still a defined one."

Kyle thought about what the Seventh Sin had said. He shook his head as he brought his inhaler to his mouth, recalling his time with Shift and all that had occurred in Unova.

"Well, I'll tell you one thing," he said. "I'm not a stranger to hopeless situations . . ."

IC - The Chamber of Possibilities:

They entered the ninth chamber.

It was pure, signified by its white color. Many different memories played on the walls. Viewing them, the group saw the destruction that had crippled Sootopolis earlier in the month, accompanied by flashes of the battle in Coeur Tower, the devastation that had swept over Southeast Unova, and the battle against the Ancient Darkrai in the Sinjoh Ruins. Nestled within them all, a conflict between Paul Burks and his daughter played out.

She stood in the center of the room, arms crossed and head bowed as she watched the memory of her and her father's fight playing at her feet. At the sound of their footsteps, she looked up, looking surprised at first and then more conflicted than anything. Ellen smiled at the group.

"You're here . . ."

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

~ Rise of the Rockets (I II)/Discussion Topic/Side Stories ~

-==IC: Ryan==-

To say Ryan was startled was certainly an understatement. The man's face was as pale as Gavin's, as he looked around. He grimly hoped that Gavin was the only one who had gotten into this sort of condition. Ethan's question snapped him from his thoughts however, and the agent nodded.

"Yeah, I've got this... I'll try my best to help him out..." Ryan's face certainly betrayed his worry about the man who was lying on the ground, as he gingerly walked over. He had to admit, though, he wasn't quite certain how they were going to be able to move Gavin. The Rocket turned a quizzical look to the Alakazam, as he wondered what the plan was here.

-==IC: Chloe==-

Chloe inhaled as she stepped into the room and saw the memories. She was confused; none of the memories she could see seemed... nice. The girl bit her lip, as she wondered again if they had really made the right choice in leaving her alone. But. . .

"Hi there..." The psychic girl stepped forward with a small smile. "I guess this is sorta a bad time to reintroduce myself, but my name's Chloe." She smiled slightly with a hint of uncertainty. She wondered what Ellen would think, but Chloe knew that they were on a sort of time limit. After what happened in Sootopolis, she wanted to have some good news for once, especially in regards to, well, everyone.

-==IC: Colette==-

Colette froze in her tracks as she saw the memories, and then the girl in the middle of the room.

This... this is who we were trying to find...? The aura wielder could for the first time sort of understand why things had turned out this way. She stood in shock as she glanced around, letting the others talk for the moment. How could someone so young be a witness to so many events like this...? In a way, Colette knew the answer to that question, but she still scanned the memories, trying to find even a hint of something happy. Trying to find something that could actually help. But as she saw the memory of the young girl having a Pokemon fight with her father, it took all her effort not to turn and question him right then and there.

OOC: Bunnying Jenny by default of moving things along

IC: Evan Tierra

"What the...?"  Feral had remarked, his tone appalled.

When Evan and Jenny had passed through the next chamber, still riding high on their defeat of Hayes' pokemon, he couldn't but feel relieved when he saw the room was empty. Especially considering that Ford's group had no problems with resorting to low methods to get what they wanted. However, the next chamber told anything but a happy story. Pools of blood dotted the room, and an auburn haired trainer lay on the ground, his right arm looking horribly mangled bellow the elbow. Near him, was a black haired trainer, whom Evan recognized as Ryan Hikari, as well as an Alakazam. Near the other end, was yet another auburn-haired trainer, whom Evan did not recognize. The Plasma Agent gave Jenny a concerned look as he then moved forward.

Even Feral, who had caused all sorts of chaos in his relatively short life, was horrified by what he saw through Jenny's eyes. The shadowy doppelganger averted what passed for his eyes, making his thoughts clearly showing he hadn't seen something like this.

Evan approached Ryan, trying not to look horrified at the sight of the room. He'd been through a lot. He was no stranger to the sight of blood, or the events that usually lead up to said blood being shed. The Hero of Space had seen many terrifying sights in his life, including Southeastern Unova and his "supposed slaying". But yet, he couldn't help but feel incredibly unnerved, especially by the trainer Ryan was near. "Looks like you stayed to fight as well." Evan said, showing relief that Ryan was alright. "There'll be time to talk about this later, but do you need any help? If not, we're going to go ahead. Someone's got to make sure Ford gets his due for all of this...."

He frowned and continued. "But it wouldn't feel right to leave someone like this with just you as you are. I could lend you one of the two pokemon I have left, but I'm not sure if they'd be any help. For transport anyways." Evan then looked at the other trainer, still frowning. "I'm guessing you're going ahead as well? If he doesn't require our assistance beyond what I offered, mind if we tag along?"

Edited by Hades

IC: Ryan/Dack/Paul/Jayron - The Chamber of Possibilities

For a long moment Paul stood rooted to the ground, his eyes darting back and forth between his daughter's memories. He had heard tales of her 'adventures' but had somehow never processed how much trauma she had endured. But now, seeing it all through Ellen's eyes . . . Even if he could somehow convince her to leave, she would never forget all the devastation she had seen. The battles that no child should have to fight . . .

"E-Ellen . . ." Paul's voice broke as he started to walk toward his daughter. He was still some distance away when he fell to his knees. His eyes never left Ellen. There was no need to look at the memory of their fight, for it was already so ingrained in his own mind. Paul's lip quivered, and he could only manage a single word. "P-please . . ."

How could I have been so blind . . . ? Ryan felt his guilt weigh down on him anew. For all her snarkiness, Aria had been right about one thing: Ellen was like a little sister to him. And in lieu of her parents, that made him responsible. He was the one who had let her accompany them in Unova . . . his negligence had led to her capture in Castelia. When Evan and Zach (Chloe, he subconsciously corrected) were fighting in southeast Unova, Ryan had been more concerned with watching the battle himself than worrying about how the images of destruction would affect Ellen. Despite her determination to stop the Ancient Darkrai, he was still responsible for letting her face creatures of literal nightmares. And perhaps worst of all, that same selfishness that had hurt Sonja had left Ellen completely neglected. She should never have been in Sootopolis. She should never have witnessed that trauma firsthand. And the only one to blame was Ryan. He had been worried about Ford putting her in danger. A bitter irony.

He wanted to run up to Ellen. To apologize as he had apologized to Sonja. But Ryan found himself frozen in his shame. Aria may have called her his sister, but he had no right to face her as a sibling. If anything, she needed her father.

Dack's eyes widened as he saw flashes of the battle with the false Groudon. He had heard the others throw around Ellen's name, but never did he imagine she was the same little girl from Sootopolis. He glanced at the other memories. With everything she had faced, it was a wonder she had even wanted to go to Celadon. Perhaps it was for the best that she never made it there. Dack found his attention drawn to the girl who had introduced herself as Chloe. Memories of Sootopolis had made him realize why she seemed so familiar. His brow furrowed in confusion but he remained quiet. There would be plenty of time to question this Chloe later.

Jayron had heard of Ellen from the reports of the fight with the Ancient Darkrai. He knew she was young, but it wasn't until he laid eyes on her that he realized just how young she was. The aura wielder found it hard to believe she had faced so many large-scale battles. It was a wonder she hadn't completely broken down under all her dark memories.

Out of everyone present, Terry was the only one who recognized every single memory. The Herdier padded up to his master's daughter and looked at her sadly. He knew he couldn't stop her; she had always had that streak of stubbornness. Terry simply tried to convey his worry. Ellen had already faced so much. Was she prepared for whatever might come at the hands of Ford?

Edited by Konuju

2001: "Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer." --Nokama

2002: "Mata Nui faces perhaps its greatest challenge -- one that will test our courage, our strength, and our belief in each other." --Tahu

2004: "Your journey must end." "By the will of the Great Spirit, it has just begun!" --Makuta and Vakama

2005: "Our destinies are not written in stone, set in place. They are something we have to find for ourselves." --Vakama

2006: "Don't you realize you're fighting for a lost cause?" "Maybe. But don't you realize those are the only ones worth fighting for?" --Axonn and Brutaka

2007: "Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory." --Hahli

2008: "Dive into the darkness, Ignite the flame within. Now, there is no turning back. Make the future... begin." --Narrator, The Final Battle Animation

2009: "It is said that all endings are merely beginnings waiting to be born." --Mata Nui

2010: "All journeys must come to an end, but this time, there is a new beginning as well. ... All that has gone before, my friends, has only served to give birth to this new day. Let unity, duty and destiny be your guides." --Mata Nui

2011: "Not dead. Just frozen. They’ll thaw out … eventually. I’m tired of villains spouting gibberish." --Kopaka

IC: James

James walked out of the third chamber. He found it like he had found the second chamber, empty.

If we assume that both chambers held battles like ours, and the absence of allied trainers meant they had already won... then I say we have made some excellent progress, James thought to himself a smile on his face.

Lancelot, Galahad and Hades had finished healing all their wounds, so if push came to shove, he'd have half a team ready. The Sableye seemed independent enough that James could trust him to act on his own. All in all, things were looking up.

Then James reached the next room.

James wasn't an idiot; he knew this was war. And in war there are casualties, and war was never clean. Yet, somehow James wasn't expecting what he saw before him. He approached silently, he recognized the man as one of Jamie's friends. James only hoped that she had not been present to see this.

"Do you need assistance?" James offered as he reached the assembled group. "Sir Galahad here," James said gesturing towards the Togekiss, "has a certain degree of healing power... and if necessary, he can help cauterize his wounds."

OOC: Estimating that Claus would be at the surface by now. Not sure what to post IC for him, so just making an OOC note for it.

IC: Pelleas

A father reuniting with his daughter. Pelleas thought he'd have found the scene more heartwarming. He was rather unprepared for Paul's reaction. Though he could not keep looking towards father and daughter for long, there was no respite to be gained from averting his eyes. Every horror that Ellen had faced forced Pelleas to create a world in which Jamie was going through the same tragedies.

Pelleas's mind immediately considered how much despair he would feel if his daughter had been kidnapped the same way Ellen had been. And how much more his heart would break if he ever needed to fight Jamie the way Ellen and Paul had.

He couldn't bear to even imagine that.

No matter how powerful Ford truly was, Pelleas knew that facing his daughter would be a far greater challenge for him if he were in Paul's position.

Jamie didn't notice the Heracross's discomfort until she felt Pelleas's hand grasp hers. She hadn't quite grasped the dots together, so she simply returned the grasp, and hoped it would calm whatever fear her father had.

25fbd79538e4c3de878b599045e3f03a.jpg

IC: Xander Cruize - Chamber of Possibilities

Xander ran through the seventh chamber without paying it any mind.He had a brief pause in the eighth chamber when he saw an actual physical person, but he hurried through while the man just leered at him. The others were there by now. White light shown down the tunnel. Xander skidded to a halt in the room, just behind Paul and Ryan.

Ellen . . .  He looked around at all the memories and took a deep breath. That a ten-year-old girl had seen this much destruction, been this involved with a war . . . Xander felt suddenly furious at the others in the room. He didn't say a word to them as he took a few steps past them. He hovered just behind Terry. Of all the people in this room who'd met Ellen, he was the one who knew her the least.

Thinking of all the things he'd encountered, couple with the images showing on the walls of the room, he felt that may be a good thing. "Ellen . . ." But what could he say to her? She was, in the end, here of her own volition, because she believed in whatever Ford was trying to do. He shook his head.

"Are you alright? Not hurt or sick or anything?" He would have to wait until later to talk with Sanders and Paul and the rest. It wouldn't do them any good here. Ellen was the one they needed to focus on.

Edited by Carbevoir

"So Alku, happy 'was that a firecracker or shotgun?' day!"

"Hard mode: I'm in the south."

"Planning was never Zac Blazer's forte." - Blade, mastering the art of the understatement.

"We'll have to change the initials of the RPG from RotR to PTSD." - Me, discussing Rise of the Rockets.

IC - Ethan Worth/Gavin Braner - The Chamber of Treachery:

He took a moment before answering James's question. Gingerly, Ethan adjusted Gavin's arm. He scrunched his nose as he realized just how much damage had been done: Were it not for Gavin's jacket holding them together, the two halves of his arm would have simply slid apart. Luckily Talsim's earlier work appeared to have stemmed the bloodloss.

The Rocket Agent covered his mouth with his hand. "Talsim . . . Focus on his arm. Keep it entirely still. Okay?"

The Alakazam nodded. His psychic powers encompassed Gavin's arm, freezing it in place. Once that had been done, Ethan helped Gavin stand, supported by Dothe. The Dusknoir stared at Ethan.

Ethan shook his head. "Bring him out," he said. "Get him back to Abyss. They'll help him out." As the two Pokémon began to escort their trainer out, Ethan nodded his thanks to Ryan, and then turned to Evan, Jenny, and James. "The more, the merrier," he said. "Glad to see you all survived your fights . . ." He turned to the exit, falling silent for a moment. "Come on--we might not have any time left."

He hurried through.

IC - Ellen Burks/Kyle Eston/Esen Windred/Bounty/Jackson Sang/All - The Chamber of Possibilities:

Ellen shook her head. "No, I'm fine." She paused, and then looked from Paul to Chloe with a small smile. "Hi . . . I'm glad you're being true to yourself." Ellen fell silent, casting a look around at the entire group. "It's almost beautiful, if you think about it. Each of you come from different backgrounds, united under a common goal. Under different circumstances I'd be happy to see you all working together. But you're trying to stop something you don't understand." Her projection turned around, looking to the exit. "This has to be done. For everyone's sake."

An orange symbol blinked on the wall. Ellen stared at it for a moment, puzzled, before her projection suddenly began to dissolve. In mere seconds, she was gone.

Kyle let out a breath that he did not realize he had been holding. He waited for a moment, and then stepped forward. "The real Ellen's going to be in the next chamber, right?" he said. "Let's not spend too much time in here. They're all really close."

Mentally, he noted that that included Ford himself.

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

Chloe smiled at first as the younger girl replied to her, though it was replaced with a look of confusion as Ellen vaguely said the same sort of thing the others did. When the younger girl glanced at the symbol that appeared on the wall, the psychic followed her gaze, and furrowed her brow further. Something bothered her about all that, but yet, she couldn't place why. The girl nodded with a distracted frown as she followed Kyle's advice and headed toward the way down.

"Say. . ." Chloe's voice hesitated even as she continued to move, hoping the others followed to help with time. "Has anyone else... noticed those symbols? Haven't they seemed a little weird to you?"

-==IC: Ryan/Jenny==-

For one brief moment Jenny had been worried that it was Ryan that all the blood had belonged to. Then when she saw the auburn hair, she worried it was Chloe. This person she didn't actually recognize, but considering he was part of their group and Ryan seemed to know him...

"Oh my gosh..." Jenny paled for a moment and had to look away as she got into the right spot to actually see Gavin's mangled arm. She bit her lip in worry, and listened carefully as she realized that Ryan was headed back up with the fallen Rocket. As Ryan and the Pokemon began to make the trip back to the surface, the young woman turned her attention back to Ethan, and nodded a little numbly, as she headed in the direction of the next staircase, unconsciously rubbing her arm from the memory of her own injuries from six months prior.

IC: Xander Cruize - The Chamber of Possibilities

Sylph finally caught up with Xander's other two pokémon. He returned them silently, clipping them back to his belt, before turning to the exit of the room. "Yeah, they're weird . . ." The symbols weren't at the foreground of his thoughts though. Through that door, they would encounter ten people, at least one of which was completely unhinged.

He pulled the pistol from its holster and looked around. "So who wants to lead the charge?"

"Planning was never Zac Blazer's forte." - Blade, mastering the art of the understatement.

"We'll have to change the initials of the RPG from RotR to PTSD." - Me, discussing Rise of the Rockets.

IC: Ryan/Dack/Paul/Jayron - The Chamber of Possibilities

The flash of orange caught Ryan's eye. Suddenly he was back in Fortree, standing opposite of the man called Albero DeLargo. He could never forget that symbol that had appeared on the man's forehead. It had been the moment the man Albero had been lost, leaving only the Sin Gluttony. Ryan instinctively clenched his fists, afraid the Sin had been reborn. Was he targeting Ellen now, or had he simply come to mock Ryan?

But the symbol had vanished as quickly as it had appeared -- and Ellen was gone too. Kyle and Chloe's voices seemed to come from far away. So did Ryan's own voice when he answered the latter's question.

"They're symbols of the Sins. Or that last one was, at least. Gluttony. What it's doing here, I don't know." For a moment he wondered if the Sins were somehow tied to Ford's Children. But then why wouldn't Gluttony's symbol have appeared in Sonja or Ray's chambers? What connection would they have had with whichever 'Sinbols' had appeared in their respective chambers?

Paul slowly got to his feet, wiping his tears on his sleeve. He turned around and was surprised to see Xander. As the Kalosian reached for his pistol, Paul's hand moved to his own belt. Instead of grabbing his gun, he unclipped Ellen the Eevee's Pokéball and held it out to the trainer. "Your Ellen's safe," he assured Xander. "But despite what she claims, I don't know if the same can be said for my Ellen. If the rest of you are ready, I say it's time we go. Ford's waiting."

IC: Dahlia

She had lost count of how many chambers she had gone through. She kept expecting to see more pools of blood. Another teammate horrifically injured. But the chambers were as empty as a void. All the while she stuck by Asriel's side, the rest of her Pokémon following behind.

She entered another chamber, and was shocked to find Shadow Admin Sleight and his wife, along with another man she did not recognize. For a moment she wondered if this was their kid she had heard them talk about. But if that was the case, he'd have to be a projection like the other Children, right? The gardener paused, wondering if the Shadow Admin needed any help.

Asriel growled and urged Dahlia onward. Something was off about the man the Shadow Admin was facing, but the Absol had a feeling this was one disaster they had no part in. They could stay and watch the conflict unfold. But the path to the next tunnel was unblocked, and the others needed their help more than the Shadow Admin. And so with much hesitation Dahlia left the Shadow Admin and his wife to their own devices.

The next chamber was pure white. Dahlia shielded her eyes from the glare and was surprised to find the others standing around discussing something. "Um... hi." The gardener meekly waved. "Sorry about the holdup; Gavin got hurt but his Alakazam's taking care of him." Her eyes settled on Xander, giving the Kalosian a pointed look for leaving her behind. The look lasted only for a moment, as she glanced around at the others. It wasn't hard to tell that things were intense. She didn't know if they had just come off a hard-fought battle or not, but they definitely seemed to be preparing for one. "So, um... are we ready to move on?"

Ryan glanced at her and nodded. "Be prepared for anything," he warned. "We still don't know Ford's plan... or McKinley's. So I'll reiterate: don't do anything rash."

Dahlia could have commented on the irony that it was Ryan speaking those words, but instead she bit her lip and merely watched as the Liberty agent began to lead the way down the next -- and presumably final -- tunnel.

"Come on--we might not have any time left."

Even though he did not show it, Evan was relieved he would be able to go forward. It wasn't for selfish reasons he felt relieved. He'd wanted to pay Ford back, not only for his crimes, but the ones he had his "Children" commit. As Jenny passed him by, the young man moved forward, making to stay caught up with Ethan and Jenny.

"You're right, we might not have time left." the Hero of Space said, his expression determined. "But neither will Ford, once we get there."

IC: James

James followed the others down and his remaining Pokemon followed him. As they descended, James thought about the apparent contradiction that these rooms and Pierce presented him with. Pierce made it clear that he wasn't expecting them, and yet without them, these rooms served no purpose. The images that had played, clear tiers to stage battles; they all seemed to expect an audience. Ford had to have expected this place to be found. Either Ford had hid something from Pierce or they were here early.

That or the architect or Ford (perhaps one and the same) were far too artsy to use the space efficiently.

Regardless of the answer, James wished he had asked Jamie more about the source of the message.

IC: Jamie/Richard

Pelleas let go of Jamie's hand after Ellen's projection disappeared. He had to to move in front of her. No matter what happened next, he would not allow Jamie to get hurt. That was an absolute truth in his eyes.

Jamie kept walking. While she didn't know the full story behind most of last four rooms, she knew that the resolve of her allies had been tested in them. If they could get past them, then the last step should be easy... right? Her own resolve faltered for a moment when she heard of Gavin's injury.

"Gavin will be okay. Sleight will defeat Sloth. Lucia is safe," Jamie began repeating to herself with a voice so quiet, she hardly even knew she was speaking.

As Richard saw Xander and Dahlia show up, he began to think of Hades. Now to be fair, even after winning his battle, the Sableye would have to get through three more rooms. Thus far, only the people from the battle in McKinley's room had showed up. Meaning that Hades could still be held up by another room and would be coming in a few minutes. But Richard wasn't at ease.

-==IC: Lucia==-

Lucia was, in fact, safe. She was also rather bored.

The healer had finally been told to take a break, since she had been working rather non-stop for the past couple weeks to try and help out wherever she could. However, that had started to catch up, as most everyone could see how she seemed to be slowing down in her work. So it was with a sigh that Lucia was currently walking through Celadon. She kept it to herself that she was secretly doing recon for more ways she could help out, but... she stopped, both in the middle of her thoughts and in her tracks, as she saw something that reminded her of Jamie in a way.

The Slowpoke that the medic had spotted was relatively normal, and most definitely as lazy as all the other Slowpoke in existence. However, this one made Lucia recall how the two had run into Jamie's Slowpoke near Azalea after that one literally out-of-this-world mission. The girl gave a small smile as she wondered what was currently happening with her friend. She then made up her mind.

OOC: Final team member for Lucia coming soon, finally.

I feel it's fitting that it's the Slowpoke that's taken forever since it was thought up. =P

IC: Xander Cruize

Xander took the ball with a smile. "Thanks, Paul." He clipped Ellen back onto his belt, then looked around. "Should we wait for others -- Evan, Jenny, the group from the first chamber?"

No telling what Ford had ready through that door. A larger group would be better suited to handle it.

IC - Ethan Worth - The Chamber of Treachery:

"Right." Ethan chose not to voice the fact that Evan's response was precisely why he was worried.

The fifth, sixth, and seventh chambers passed by without incident, and not a trace of battle. Ethan was not sure what that meant, except that--hopefully--there hadn't been a battle in any of them.

The eighth chamber made him stop.

A trainer stood across from Sleight and Eileen. He did not move, only standing and leering at the Shadow Admin. Plumes of flame continuously encompassed his body, hardly seeming to do any damage at all. It did not take a genius to figure out what was going on, taking into account the blue aura around the man.

"Sleight!" Ethan called. 

As the last Flamethrower subsided, Sleight's target clapped his hands together as if brushing dust from his palms, and glanced at the entrance. He grinned at Sleight. "Looks like another part of you poss--" Another pillar of fire cut him off.

"You keep your eyes on me and me alone, Sloth," Sleight growled.

Eileen turned to Ethan and the others. "Go," she said. "We're handling this."

"Ma'am," Ethan said. "With all due respect, that . . . thing is--"

"That was an order, Worth," Sleight snapped. "Go."

Ethan hesitated, making a move as if to protest, and then sighed, looking at the others. "Let's keep going," he said at length, leading them around the edge of the field and to the exit.

Sloth ignored the blanket of fire that encompassed him yet again in favor of watching the group leave. When it had passed, he turned back to Sleight and Eileen, tilting his head. "Now that that's out of your system . . ." He grinned. "Why don't we address the real issue between you two?"

IC - The Chamber of Clarity:

Bounty shook his head, moving past Xander and down the final stretch of the hall. "No," he said. "If they catch up, they catch up. But we have no idea what their situation is right now, whether they're dead or still battling. It's time we ended this."

He took the first step through the archway.

This chamber was different from the others. It was larger. Irregularly shaped, like two circles had been pinched together--a smaller one receiving them directly into the chamber, connected on the other end to a much bigger circle where . . . something currently transpired.

It was difficult to describe. In the center of the larger part of the chamber, there stood a raised platform with stairs allowing access atop it. In the center of this platform, a strange statue stood. It was roughly six feet tall by itself--well over eight, including the base--and bore a vague resemblance to a humanoid cat. A large tail curled around its body, small arms crossed its armor-like chest, and small, blunt horns jutted from the top of its down-turned head. A tube-like projection extended from its spine, connecting to the back of its head, and its eyes appeared to be closed. It glowed faintly with a pulsing rainbow of light. Two slips of paper lay at the base of the statue, perfectly cut and trimmed with strange markings.

Those not entranced by the sight would see the rest of the chamber. Ten people stood around it at regular intervals, nine of them surrounded by circles of light that projected faint, tube-like walls around them. At the front, directly across from the chamber's entry point, stood Ford, head tilted back as he stared up at the statue. To his left, there was Pierce, then Adams, Skye, and Ray. The next person was blocked from sight by the statue standing between them and the others, but from the back looping back to Ford at the front, Levi, Sonja, McKinley, and then Hayes were visible, suggesting that the hidden Child was Ellen.

All bore the weight of their ritual differently: Pierce stood with his arms folded behind his back, head bowed and eyes closed. Hayes sat, cross-legged and meditating, in the very center of her circle. Adams leaned against the wall surrounding her, arms crossed and watching the statue with a look of somber duty. McKinley lay on his back, head propped up by the wall of energy around him, a small smirk pulling at the corner of his mouth. Skye sat with her shins and feet beneath her, propping herself up with her hands on her knees, facing the statue. Sonja had taken on a similar stance, but instead whispered gently to Levi in the prison next to her, who had curled up in his own circular prison and silently wept, rocking back and forth.

At the sound of the group's footsteps, Ford bowed his head and sighed, turning his head to look over his shoulder. "At the end of our many, many roads, we have all arrived, at last . . ." He turned to face them, raising a hand to pull his hat from his head. "I only wish our circumstances had allowed us to avoid this course of action . . . This conflict that you bring along with you . . ."

Edited by Parugi

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

-==IC: Colette==-

"What did you say...?" The aura wielder took a small step forward as she saw the prominent man in front of them turn around and speak. The fact that he spoke as if everything had been perfectly fine without them... it struck a nerve. "We brought the conflict? I don't think so. You're the one who pretty much made us assemble here with all the stuff you've been doing; you're the one who has gone so far as to have Unown show up on Seven Island." Colette had to bite her tongue to stop herself from outright growling at the man.

"Wasn't all the fighting over with? Wasn't all that was left just the remnants of everything, from what I've heard?" The girl shook her head, as she gave a sharp glare right at Ford. She had a feeling she might be pushing her luck, but... she wanted answers. "Why are you doing all this?"

Chloe, meanwhile, simply stayed quiet. Something about this place just... She turned her head from object to object in the room; from the pillars of clear light that surrounded the Children, to the statue in the middle of the room that just seemed creepy to her, to... everything in the room. On top of that, she could see the rainbow light, and wondered just what the reason for that could be. However, nothing she said seemed like it would make a difference, and she knew better than to overload the situation with questions.

IC: Feral Tierra

As Evan and Jenny made for the next room, the passenger in Jenny's mind, could not help but feel incredibly unnerved. The creature "paced", if you could call it that, around what passed for the space he was allocated. He'd done many terrible things, caused much misery, even killed a few people. But, whatever that thing the group had passed by, wasn't natural at all. The feeling it gave him, was beyond anything he was sure he could reached when he was "alive".

They can do this, right? Even with something like that running around, right? The former Spacial Horror thought, trying to ease his mind....

IC: Ryan/Dack/Paul/Jayron - The Chamber of Clarity

It took a conscious effort for Ryan to not race toward the back of the room where Sonja, Ray, and Ellen sat. Instead he settled his eyes on Ford, suppressing a shudder. It was his first time seeing The Shadowed Man face-to-face, but he could never forget that sinister silhouette that had taunted Blackskull with Bluefalcon's death. He took a deep breath, letting his eyes dart to Sonja and Ray before looking back at Ford. He wanted to join in Colette's outcry, but he knew that acting rash would only make things worse. He put a hand on the aura wielder's shoulder and gently tried to pull her back, all the while keeping his eyes on Ford. "With all due respect, sir, I'm just looking for answers. What is it you're trying to do here?"

Although he appeared calm, Ryan couldn't help but feel uneasy. Between the glowing statue, tubes of light, and the odd slips of paper, he couldn't help but feel like he'd walked in on some cult practicing an unholy summoning. Regardless, he refused to act until he had a clearer understanding of just what Ford's plan was.

Jayron had prepared himself for anything -- or so he thought. But a statue of Mewtwo was the last thing he expected. He reached instinctively toward the Pokéballs at his waist, and Lucario tensed. Both aura users kept their eyes on the statue, trying to figure out how it played into Ford's plan.

Paul didn't care about the statue or the slips of paper. All he cared about was Ellen, the only one of Ford's recruits -- he refused to think of his daughter as Ford's Child -- that was blocked from view. If he could have crossed the chamber without being stopped, he would already be at Ellen's side. But the blacksmith knew that Ford would stop him for trying to interfere. And so Paul and Terry were forced to stand there trying to catch a glimpse around the glowing statue, praying that the situation wouldn't digress into an all-out battle.

Dack glanced at the eight visible Children, his eyes lingering on McKinley. In his prison of light there seemed little the Fourth Child could do to disrupt whatever ritual was going on. But McKinley's cocky attitude set Dack on edge. He nudged Sang and motioned towards the golden-haired Child. "Should we try warning them again?" he asked in a low voice. "Or would it be better to try a more subtle approach to foiling McKinley?"

IC - John Ford/James Pierce/Madison Hayes/Quincy Adams/Tyler McKinley/Skye Hall/Sonja Baron/Levi Alaric

Kyle Eston/Esen Windred/Bounty/Jackson Sang/All - The Chamber of Clarity:

A line of sweat ran down Sang's face. He looked surprisingly unnerved. The freelancer shook his head. "I don't know . . ."

Ford sighed again. He tucked his hat under one arm, his cane under the other, and pulled a cigarette and lighter from his pocket. He lit it, taking a deep drag of smoke. The discussion had drawn attention from the Nine Children, several of whom looked toward the mixed group of Liberty, Rocket, and free trainers. Ford pulled his cigarette away, placing his hands back on the head of his cane and pressing it against the ground.

"I understand it may be difficult to believe," Ford said at last. "But we are not here out of sheer malevolence. The Liberty-Rocket War was the worst possible outcome that could have ever fallen into our path--not just for the physical devastation it brought upon the world, but for the misery, the anger, the . . . sadness that has wracked all of those affected by it. Sheer chaos and negativity that has infected us, brought our world to its knees . . . and worst of all, painted a target on our back." He paused, opening his mouth and then closing it again. His jaw quivered, as if he could not bring himself to talk again.

"Ryan, Kyle--everyone, please listen to him," Sonja chimed in. "What's happening here . . ." She struggled to find the words to describe it--words that would not lock her into silence. "We're cutting a fuel line. If we don't do this, then what happens will be far, far worse than anything Ford, Team Rocket, Team Liberty, or anyone could ever dream up."

Ford glanced at her over his shoulder, surprised, but nodded in thanks after a moment. He ran a hand through his hair, pausing momentarily. "Those that we have selected for removal--Team Magma, Team Energon," he said. "I cannot justify the deaths of those involved in their organizations. They were a terrible loss. But they were necessary to lose--tenuous peace bought us time, but without an absolute source of protection, they continued to threaten a . . . a quickening of a destructive force already bearing down upon us. We could not let them sacrifice our entire world for their petty grudges."

Esen and Kyle turned around as footsteps sounded behind them. Ethan, Evan, Jenny, and James had arrived, skidding to a halt at the back of the group.

"Sorry we're late," Ethan said, panting. "What'd we miss?"

Kyle opened his mouth to answer, and then shook his head. "I don't even know how to explain it," he said, looking back to Ford. "We're not fighting . . . yet. Ford and Sonja seem to be under the impression that the Rocket-Liberty War was the start of the apocalypse or something . . ."

Edited by Parugi

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

As Evan skidded to a halt and looked around, he couldn't help but feel uneasy. Even though they had made it to Ford himself, what Kyle said, struck a chord deep within himself. He recalled how, after he had dealt with Feral, that he said something in passing, about something coming. The young man thought he had meant something involving Kane, but could it have been something else, that not even he knew about?

Could he have known all along? Could the Shadowed Man have sensed what he only had an inkling of?

There was no real way Evan could know, and that only added to his uncertainty...

-==IC: Chloe/Colette==-

Colette seemed to be stunned into momentary silence, though she still looked at Ford with a wary expression on her face. She couldn't figure out how any of that could make any sense; how any of what she had heard about Ford or the man had admitted just then could have any excuse. Especially not such a vague one. However, despite that, she couldn't seem to find any words that would actually show how she felt about the matter, without it just going straight into a battle... something that seemed to be a bad idea for the moment.

However, Colette noticed the auburn haired girl take an uncertain step forward in the corner of her vision, and turned her head in surprise to look at her with an open mouth. Chloe wore an uneasy look on her face because of what had all been said, but something still nagged at her. Something didn't seem right about this, any of this, or why they had seemingly gotten such an invitation from that McKinley guy.

"Um..." The girl paused as she looked toward Ford, a nervous tone to her voice as she did so. "What is all this for, then...? Like, what is the purpose of this stuff? I'm just... I'm a little lost here." She seemed perplexed, as she glanced around once again. "What needs such... a grand thing? And what is with that statue?" Chloe motioned to the odd sculpture of the cat-like thing behind Ford, as she was once again slightly entranced by the sight of the light, curious to its purpose.

IC: Ryan/Dack/Paul/Jayron/Dahlia - The Chamber of Clarity

Ryan nodded at Chloe's words, then looked back at Ford. "And why hasn't anyone been able to give us a straight answer?" Sonja's careful wording was not lost on him; he recalled Ray having done the same thing before McKinley had taken him. "It'd be a lot easier for us to listen to you if we could actually understand what's going on. Or are the details of the apocalypse only disclosed on a need-to-know basis?"

"I still have a hard time believing one man should have the authority to decide who lives and who dies." Jayron stepped forward so he was even with Ryan and Colette, and glared up at The Shadowed Man. "Rocket, Liberty, we may have our differences but at least we decide things as a team. Rocket has their Shadow Admins; Liberty has three leaders. But you... you may have your so-called 'Children' backing you up, but it's clear you're the one running the show here. You've taken it upon yourself to decide the fate of the whole world on your own. That's too much power for one man alone."

As the others talked, Dahlia couldn't help but look over to where McKinley lay stretched out on his back. Did the Fourth Child even know what had happened to his Pokémon? Did he even care? At Dahlia's side, Asriel's eyes narrowed, as if the Absol was trying to make heads or tails of the situation. The middle Seaton found her usual optimism had left her up on the surface. She had a sinking feeling there was no way this wouldn't end in disaster.

IC: James/Jamie/Richard

James had been stunned upon the sight of Sloth fighting Sleight. He was stunned enough that he automatically followed the Rocket agent down the exit without any thought as to whether he should have. He at least had experience fighting a Sin before, maybe he could've helped in some small way.

Greed's former target wanted to have some assurance that the being would be destroyed. At least he knew of Sleight's power. Hopefully that power was as strong internally as it was externally.

As James entered the room, he overheard Kyle's response to Ethan and mulled it over in his head. Whilst doing so, he walked over and stood near Jamie. For her part, Jamie was beginning to become impatient. She could not trust a word that came from Ford's mouth. She had only waited thus far because her friends had questions for Ford, and it was a hero's duty to listen to the villain before the final showdown. But she could only listen to so much before she had to act.

Richard temporarily lost his focus on mentally recording the events playing before him, due to him sighing relief as a familiar Sableye took a perch on his shoulder.

"Where's Claus?" Richard whispered to his compatriot.

The Sableye pointed back towards the entrance and said, outside, waiting, to which his trainer nodded.

James chose not to interject any of his own questions. He would allow for Ford to answer first. He would need to get up to speed first. But before Ford answered James once again focused on the building itself. This room that they final came to appeared to have no other exits. As he did not see any alternative routes in any of the other rooms. Meaning that what they had seen thus far seemed to be the whole of the building. And yet nothing he saw nothing here that would actually be useful to a terrorist overseeing his operations. There were not even any sort of living spaces. This either meant that Ford was hiding the entrances to the rest of the building, or this was not his true headquarters.

Both options raised more questions than answered. The former lead into the earlier contradictions. If Pierce was to be believed and their appearance was unexpected, then would Ford have had time to hide them? He supposed it was possible. He could even do it remotely if for some reason he couldn't leave that tube of light if he had some remote or conspirators in the rest of the complex.

If the latter, then why was this structure built? Did Ford even build it? Was it solely for this purpose? Such answers could explain Pierce's earlier surprise and yet even if it did, it only raised more questions.

Well, if it truly mattered, he could ask Ford after he answered those questions already posited. Or in jail after the fact.

Edited by Valorous Angel Minun4

The Kalos trainer had stayed silent up until this point, watching things unfold. He quietly stepped forward to try and get a better look at the Mewtwo statue, though he didn't get too close to Ford.

"They're right. What authority do you have to decide who needs to die for the greater good? Who gave you authority to decide what the 'greater good' even is?" He glared at Ford, his eyes seeming to glow, before looking around at all the others. "You probably could have done this a lot differently and gotten more support, if you're actually trying to stop something."

He went silent, letting his eyes wander back to the statue in the middle of the room.

IC - John Ford/James Pierce/Madison Hayes/Quincy Adams/Tyler McKinley/Skye Hall/Sonja Baron/Levi Alaric

Kyle Eston/Esen Windred/Bounty/Jackson Sang/Ethan Worth/All - The Chamber of Clarity:

Ford sighed. "Yes, perhaps you're right," he said. "Perhaps it would have been more fruitful to bring word of the signs to the forefront from the very beginning--to lay the clues out in the light." He frowned. "But you must understand the difficulty in doing so. The riddle emerged just as the Rocket-Liberty War began to weigh on the world; the most powerful organizations at the time were much too preoccupied with dealing with the fallout to shift any attention to the mad ramblings and silly little puzzle of a rogue mob boss." He waved his cane around at the group. "Even you, with all that you've seen, struggle to accept the possibility of a greater danger than what you have fought up to this point. How could I expect any sort of understanding--let alone cooperation--from two factions at war with each other, with no solid proof to back up my claims?"

Wait . . . Kyle's eyes narrowed. He clenched a fist, prompting Esen to look at him. She placed a hand on his shoulder, meeting his eye. The look that she gave him convinced him to hold off on speaking. He relaxed his hand.

"We're listening now," Bounty said. "If what you have to say is this important, then tell us. This game of smoke and mirrors isn't helping matters at all."

The Shadowed Man shook his head, bringing a hand to his head. "If it was that easy . . ." he muttered. Ford glanced at Ryan and Chloe. "Your answers all tie together into one. But before I can get to that . . . Tell me, Bounty, do you believe in magic?" When the Shadow Admin did not answer, Ford pulled a card from his pocket. "Believe it or not, it exists--in many forms. Some of them more elaborate than others . . ." He gestured to the space around them, to the walls, to the Nine Children, and to the statue. "All of you--what do you see when you look around this place? As you've gone through each floor of this structure? As you looked upon it from the outside?"

"Come on, Ford," McKinley groaned. "They're not going to get it, no matter how hard you try. Just trash them already."

"If they are capable of understanding, they will understand," Ford snapped. "I will not play a part in egging it on if it can be avoided."

McKinley smirked, shrugging. "What you say goes, boss . . ." He adjusted his head against the wall of the energy-tube, leering at the group.

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

Xander chuckled softly. "Well, when you put it that way . . ." He stretched. "Makes sense. Magic isn't more far-fetched than ESP or aura powers, right?"

Sylph frowned. I'm not sure I follow.

The trainer laughed. "We all should have realized it from the beginning. We were all trying to wrap our heads around the building, weren't we?" He shook his head. "And then we had Evan Tierra fighting in the room above us. If we hadn't been so wrapped up in our own battle with Tyler over there, I might have caught on sooner."

Sylph shook her head. I trust you'll help fill in those of us who don't get it.

"In a minute. Good to have a break, here, right?" He sighed. "Not entirely sure what it has to do with this guy, though," he said as he gestured to the statue on its platform.

As Xander spoke, Evan digested what he had to say, along with what Ford had said. The Psychic's words would have not made sense to most, but Evan knew exactly what he was talking about. Clearing his throat, the Hero of Space decided to add his 2 pokedollars. "You know, usually it's ill-advised for me to go 'all-out' with my ground team, especially with their penchant for collateral damage." he spoke, his tone serious and matter of fact. "So imagine my surprise, when all the Earthquakes slung around by my pokemon and Jenny's, did nothing to the floor. It did not splinter, crack, fracture, shatter, or heave up, like anything else would have."

Evan looked up at the Shadowed Man, eyes aflame, and continued. "There wasn't a single sign of damage, even after Jenny and I went beyond all-out. But, I couldn't begin to explain why. But, even so, the vibrations would have spread throughout this place. At least, to the point of the others feeling them......" The young man trailed off, wondering if anyone in the large group could get what Ford was getting at...

Magic, eh? James mulled over the new possibilities that it brought up and folded his arms.

"I can testify that no one above felt anything like an Earthquake spontaneously occurring during our battle, unless it occurred during the one Earthquake that was utilized," James offered.

"I have been wondering for a while now about the seeming contradictions concerning this building that have been popping up," James said, finally vocalizing all of his recent concerns. "We came here expecting to find you and your headquarters, and yet none of us expected what we found here, if I may be so bold as to speak for us all."

James unfolded his arms and continued speaking, "Pierce made it quite clear that he did not expect our arrival and yet the room his projection was in clearly expected otherwise. Poké Balls in place, memories on display, and clear fields for fighting. And now that we have reached the end, I feel like there are parts missing. Computers, weapons, or at least living quarters. This whole building is over-theatrical and completely lacking in any of the necessities needed to run an operation such as yours."

James wasn't sure whether he was on the right track, but figured it couldn't hurt at this point to ask, "So I have to ask, where are we? Are we actually in your headquarters? And if so, is this how it, for lack of a better term, normally appears?"

Chloe took a moment to absorb all the information that had been given. Something seemed off, as McKinley spoke, but... while she gave the unsettling man a look, she continued to think over what the others had said, and what Ford himself did. She was missing something...

"Is this place a sort of like... focus point for magic, then? I mean, it's all like a crystal sort of material from what it looks like, and usually from what I've read in stories, that sorta acts as a conduit..." The girl thought for a moment, as she glanced around. "If that's the case, all those rooms; were they more of a defense system? Intending to prevent intruders from getting through? And like... I'm only guessing here, but... if magic was what cast all those memories, was it more of a byproduct of... whatever it is you're doing?"

Chloe scratched her head as she finished theorizing for the moment, but found that the statue took her gaze once more. She couldn't figure out just how that played into what was going on here. What was all this magic for, anyway? And why would each of the floors be effectively sealed off...?

IC: Ryan/Dack/Paul/Jayron/Dahlia - The Chamber of Clarity

Ryan chewed his lip as he mulled over the question. "You keep calling it a building," he said to James. "But between the memories, the projections, and the apparent isolation of all the battles . . . it's almost as if each chamber was its own world. As if we were walking through nine entirely different -- yet fundamentally similar -- realms."

"You mean different dimensions?" Dahlia looked over at Ryan curiously. "Like the Distortion World?"

"I wouldn't put it past him." Jayron trained his eyes on Ford and looked to be fighting back a scowl. "Ford's been known to dabble in dimensions; just ask Blackskull."

Ryan shook his head. "I don't know if they were pocket dimensions per say, but . . ." He paused as he struggled to put his thoughts into words. "It's like . . . We saw all of Pierce's memories play out, as if we were actually inside Pierce's mind. Or some physical manifestation of it. Then we traveled to Hayes' mind. And Adams'. All the way to Ellen's."

"The mind consists of more than just memories," Dack pointed out. "And that still doesn't answer the why. Why go to all this trouble putting all your memories on display if you didn't want us here?"

"Like Chloe said, it's a defense machanism." Ryan's eyes darted to each of the visible Children in turn. "They were all trying to get us to turn back. Most of the memories seemed to focus on some sort of animosity. Conflict. If they can't tell us what's going on, they could at least give us some vague idea of Ford's justification through memories of the kind of turmoil they're trying to avoid. Imagination would be too vague . . . emotions might've worked but could have easily just spurred us on in our 'rescue' attempts . . . Memories were probably the best medium to convey what they wanted and convince us to turn back. So we only entered that aspect of their minds."

"Interesting theory," Jayron remarked. "Colette and I encountered something similar on Seven Island, only that was dealing with just a single mind. A prototype to this setup, perhaps?"

Kyle Eston/Esen Windred/Bounty/Jackson Sang/Ethan Worth/All - The Chamber of Clarity:

"For what it's worth," Ethan said. "Ryan and I didn't feel any aftershocks from any of the other rooms, either."

"Oohoohoo." McKinley laughed, clapping his hands together. "They're hitting all sorts of nails on the head today, aren't they?"

"Dude, stop talking," Skye said. "Tensions are high enough without you making them worse."

"Oh, come on," McKinley said. "Obviously the best way to reduce tension is to be friendly, right? I'm just commending them on their deductive reasoning, that's all." He shook his head with a feigned sigh. "Everyone's a critic . . ."

"Thank you, Fourth," Ford said flatly, striking the foot of his cane against the ground with a sharp snap. "That is more than enough input from you." He shook his head, returning his gaze to his guests. "You've hit on the key points. This isn't our base. This isn't man-made." Ford looked squarely at Jayron. "I suspect, Executive Aaron, that the structure you encountered was an anchor for this, meaning that there are more like it around the Sevii Islands--all as equally dangerous as that one. This, however . . ." He cast his eyes up and around. "We currently stand at the bottom of a bridge point between ours and another dimension--one that, through my dabbling, we have managed to modify for our needs."

Ford gestured to the statue. Ethan and Sang peered closer at it, both feeling the sensation of their stomachs dropping. "Then, that's . . ." Ethan trailed off.

"Our Mewtwo was created with the capability of manipulating the dimensional fabric," Ford continued. "By doing so, he has created a syringe for us, one stuck directly into the heart of our trouble--one that we can use to channel the card we are preparing. For the past few months, he has fought for his survival so that he may lead us to our victory. If all goes without hindrance, then this place will soon be rendered useless to our target. It will turn its attention elsewhere, and this structure will die." He looked to the Nine Children, nodding at them. "Your friends are providing power to the card. Nothing more. They suffer nothing in the process, save for fatigue once all is said and done--if even that."

"Okay, but what is it?" Kyle asked. "And what 'signs' did you see, exactly?" He clenched his fist, stepping forward.

Ford looked at him, frowning. "I take it you've met my former compatriots," he said. Kyle did not move. Ford straightened up. "The Signs have sought for ages any warning of what will bring about the end. It's an unfortunate coincidence that I was the first to truly see them, long after the organization fell into its darker days. I understand my successor has only brought further calamity to the organization?" Kyle's eyes narrowed. Ford shook his head. "I suppose it is fitting that Shift represents Famine, then."

"You still haven't answered the question, Ford," Bounty said. He unconsciously gripped his own cane tighter.

The Shadowed Man fell silent for a moment, and then shook his head. He looked at Sang. "What shape was this structure in when you observed it from outside?"

Sang's eyes narrowed. "It was difficult to tell, seeing as how part of it is submerged," he said slowly. "But from what I could tell, it was an . . ." His eyes widened as his voice trailed off.

Ford finished his sentence for him.

"An egg, Mr. Sang. You are standing inside of an egg. And I believe that you have seen its yolk."

Edited by Parugi

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

Chloe's eyes widened continually as Ford continued to talk; as he explained the last bits, the girl felt a chill run down her spine. She took a step back, as she felt herself trembling for some reason.

An egg? As the psychic girl glanced around, she noticed the very unsettled looks on Ethan and Sang's faces at that revelation, and what the Mewtwo statue meant. She felt like she was missing something, but yet... the stuff she had found out just then, and the... She paused in her thoughts, even as she stumbled upon something.

"Um..." Chloe bit her lip, as she felt her stomach sink as well. "If this is an egg..." She said slowly, as if not wanting to say the words. "What if it... cracked?"

-==IC: Colette/Jenny==-

The other two girls had stayed rather quiet. Colette wanted to open her mouth to speak, but yet, she didn't feel like she could add much of anything to this. The aura wielder felt out of her league with all this talk of magic, and eggs, and all the stuff that Ford was saying. And she wasn't really buying much of it, especially with the mention of the place around Seven Island. But... even then, her voice betrayed her, as she just didn't have a word to say to object. It was like she was at a stumbling point between two sides, but couldn't pick one; and as much as she wouldn't admit it... she was very unsettled by the looks on most of the faces after what Ford had said.

Jenny was equally lost by what was being said, but... the red haired girl still trembled slightly. The mention of this being an egg had unnerved her for some reason, especially with what little context they were given for what this meant. She glanced over at Ray for any indication of what Ford might mean, but the orange haired man simply avoided her glance either by accident or on purpose, leaving the girl just as in the dark as she had been since they got to where Ford was.

Even still...

Jenny glanced over toward McKinley. Something seemed wrong. The man seemed to be wanting to push them into a fight... but why? She frowned, as she tried to piece together what the unsettling blonde haired man was planning...

What a twist, Richard thought as he looked from Ford to his allies. He might have to edit this part depending. Spice it up a bit. He wasn't going to cause a fight if it could be avoided, though he had to admit that this would be rather anti-climactic if it ended here.

"An -egg-?" James replied dumbfounded by that revelation. He hadn't been able to see the outside structure very well, but even if he had James doubted that he would've made that connection. The Liberty Executive had far too many questions to come up with a single rational one. Instead, he stayed quiet to put his thoughts in order and let Ford answer Chloe.

Jamie's heart fell. With the talk of dimensions, her mind kept flashing back to the day on the train. The Mewtwo statue, the feeling of dread. It was far more familiar than she would've liked.

"Ethan, he is not talking about -there- is he?" Jamie asked, clearly perturbed by the thought that Ford might have a point. That he might actually not be the complete evil that she saw him as.

IC: Ryan/Dack/Paul/Jayron/Dahlia

It took a moment for Ryan to digest Ford's tale. The Shadowed Man was right; all this talk of dimensional bridges and eggs sounded like the ravings of a madman. He might have dismissed it as such had Ford not mentioned similar 'anchors' dotted around the Sevii Islands. The Liberty agent recalled a certain cave off the coast of Six Island that had served as a portal to Hoenn. It might not have been another dimension, but it was possible that cave was somehow connected to all this. The ashen looks on some of his companions faces only cemented the fact that Ford was telling the truth.

Even so, Ryan still felt out of the loop. He looked to Ford for an answer to Chloe's question. If this massive structure was an egg, then whatever it hatched into would have to be enormous.

Jayron likewise remained silent. He thought back to his encounter with Dara Trina, the Unovan bounty hunter charged with delivering that Mewtwo to Ford. He was well aware of that Mewtwo's dimension-manipulation capabilities, for Jayron himself had attempted to train Team Liberty's own Mewtwo to learn those abilities. But he never could have guessed the purpose of those powers. But just what was Ford trying to repel from this world? The executive rested a hand on one of the Pokéballs on his belt. How fitting that two Pokémon that had been used by Dara should be so close once more . . . separated only by the fabric of the dimensions.

Dack looked over at Ethan and Jamie in surprise. "You two know what he's talking about?" he asked incredulously. He honestly found it hard to believe that something from another dimension would have its eye on this world. But after encountering Pride, he was suddenly more open to the idea of magic and otherworldly beings. Speaking of Pride, unless he'd missed it, the Sin's symbol had yet to appear. Dack frowned as his thoughts turned back to Sleight battling Sloth; it was the one piece of the puzzle that still didn't make sense.

"How do the Sins fit into all this?" Dack asked. "We've been seeing their symbols -- their signs, if you will -- on our way down here. What role do they play here?"

Edited by Konuju

Xander gave the group a baffled look. "What?" He frowned. "I must be missing some context here."

Sylph patted his arm. You were doing so well, too. I suppose you'll have to wait for the more elaborate explanation, like I had to.

An egg?

At Ford's revelation to the group, Evan began to feel very unnerved by what he said. All this talk about alternate dimensions alone wouldn't have had the same effect. But adding in the mention of 'something' turning it's attention away from this one, if Ford's plan worked, made him wonder what exactly was eyeing them in the first place. The young man wondered why Palkia, who was overseer of this sort of thing, didn't tell him. The Hero of Space couldn't speak, as he wasn't sure what was going to happen now...

Ethan remained silent for a moment. Across the room, he met Quincy's eye. The Rocket Agent looked at Jamie. "I think so," he said. Then, speaking louder to Ford and the others, he tried to answer Chloe's question himself. "Sang only saw the . . . I don't even know how to describe them. They were like Pokémon, but they weren't Pokémon. They were connected to some weird pool--something . . .  alive. Something that had made contact with Pryce, that took him and his team." He stared at Ford. "That's what this is, isn't it?"

The Shadowed Man only nodded.

"And if it hatches, it'll spread," Sang added on. He paused, not wanting to imagine how. He looked around at the others. "I can see why Ford's doing this . . . Those things are . . . just, completely ruthless."

"You knew about this the whole time . . ." Bounty rounded on them. Though he did not show his own fears over this new information, his knuckles had turned white on his cane. "Why didn't you tell anyone about it?"

"We didn't think it had anything to do with this," Ethan said. "And we didn't keep it secret--not entirely. Joker knows." He looked at the Children. "If anyone had told us--or been able to tell us--that they were related . . ." He trailed off.

Ford shook his head. "The truth of the matter is that the magic that powers this ritual serves as a contract," he said. "And those involved must fulfill its terms--the most inconvenient of which, here, has been the lack of ability to directly speak of it." He looked at Dack. "As for these Sins . . . I'm afraid I have no idea what you are talking about."

An uncomfortable silence fell on the group. Behind Ford, the field of energy around the statue lost its rainbow hue, becoming pure white. He saw this out of the corner of his eye and glanced back at it, before looking at them all again. He tapped his fingers against the head of his cane.

"I hope you all understand now," he said. "The cards will soon be ready. Once they are, I will be able to administer the remedy. I will not demand that you allow me to do so--I merely ask. And though it has gone unearned up to now, I ask that you trust me."

"Better trust us, friends," McKinley cooed. "If you say no, boss'll have no choice but to defend himself and do it, anyway. Might as well make it easy for him."

Ford's jaw tightened. His eyes never left the group. "I implore you to ignore him," he said. "The Fourth hasn't been quite the same since he lost his eye."

• Upvote 1

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

Richard tried to jog his memory. He knew a story with something like what Ford had just mentioned it. Someone's mythology or another. Not his specific field at least. "That kind of magical contract, what's it called again, a geese? A gas?"

Jamie nearly collapsed on hearing Ethan's response, Pelleas had to catch her to keep her from falling to the ground. Lucan likewise froze, not with his normal fear of everything, but with a concrete dread from knowledge. Her brother nearly ran over to her, but stopped himself. No, there was still one thing that they, that he, needed to know before they could make a solid judgement on what to do next. Jamie would have to survive a little bit longer.

Taking but a moment to hide the emotions of concern that nearly surfaced, her turned back towards Ford and asked, "Before you finish your ritual, I still believe one question, at minimum, needs to be answered."

Hopefully it would prove fruitless, but it needed to be asked, just in case. As for trusting Ford, that was another matter that would be settled with the group.

"You said that you plan to render this place useless to your target. What makes a place useful, and more pressing, what makes a place useless to your target? That is to ask, how exactly is your ritual going to accomplish what you say it will?"

Ford contemplated James for a moment. He adjusted his cane, showing what was perhaps his first indication of discomfort throughout this whole conversation. Kyle's eyes narrowed, and he flicked his gaze from Ford to the other Children. All of them--sans McKinley--listened with clear reluctance, as if expecting that he and his fellows would not like the answer that was about to be delivered.

"It is drawn to conflict," Ford said at last. "And it will grow through conflict. The nature of Pokémon, in particular, appears to have become one of its delicacies--it fights in a pale mimicry of their battles. I intend to put a seal on this place--make it somewhere such battles cannot occur. Accessible, yet devoid of hostility. It will remain trapped here, and over time, its anchors will degrade, detach, and vanish." He tapped his cane again. "However, there is one thing I cannot account for until the spell is cast: The nature of this egg itself. If it has become tied to our dimension so closely that it can serve as an access point . . . there is the possibility that this spell could ripple across the dimensional fabric."

"And what would happen then?" Sang asked.

"The entire planet could fall under its effects," Ford said. "At that point, there really would be no way of telling what might happen. The effects could be so thinly spread as to be nonexistent, or strong enough still that they would be catastrophic. It's a coin flip against a factual certainty--a chance of devastation versus an assurance of destruction."

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png