Bionicle misconceptions

Alexander123

For one, at least, I know I was one of the many who believed for ages that Mata Nui had been awakened at the end of Mask of Light. Turns out, the movie directors had been under that misconception too, and it was only clarified in later years that it had never been part of the story team's plan that he would awaken then.

Edited by Darth Jaller
  • Like 1

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

For ages I thought all the islands in the MU were on the surface like Mata Nui and I couldn’t understand how Voya Nui could break off from the main continent and be floating when it was already on the outside. Also when I thought all the islands were on the surface I thought for some reason that the toa were made on red star and launched from there (this is also before I knew it was for reviving people)

I thought the Toa had collected 11 hidden kanohi each (5 great masks and 6 noble masks). They actually only collected the 5 great masks each. I guess depictions of the Toa using noble masks was "non-canon", which is complete garbage. Those noble masks have equally great powers and the Toa collecting them doesn't really contradict anything in the story. 

There were a number over the years, but my biggest/dumbest misconception was definitely that, back in 2001, I thought Mata Nui had actually been turned into the island. I thought that was why the name was the same.

In retrospect, though, I guess I was closer to the truth than I realized...

• Upvote 3

sigbanner.gif

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:58 PM, chuckschwa said:

I thought the Toa had collected 11 hidden kanohi each (5 great masks and 6 noble masks). They actually only collected the 5 great masks each. I guess depictions of the Toa using noble masks was "non-canon", which is complete garbage. Those noble masks have equally great powers and the Toa collecting them doesn't really contradict anything in the story. 

I thought the current understanding was that they did collect the Noble masks and gave them to the Turaga to use. Now that I think about it, an even cooler version would be if the Turaga themselves found their masks (foreshadowing them once being Toa, in a potential retelling of BIONICLE).

9 hours ago, TuragaNuva said:

There were a number over the years, but my biggest/dumbest misconception was definitely that, back in 2001, I thought Mata Nui had actually been turned into the island. I thought that was why the name was the same.

This post gave me so much whiplash. It started off, "That's such a weird thing to think," but then I realized, wait a minute...

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

On 11/22/2019 at 5:15 PM, TuragaNuva said:

Young Turaga Nuva: "Wait, isn't the island Mata Nui?" 

Intern working for Lego: *hiding in the bushes, pulls out walkie talkie* "The boy knows too much. Get the chloroform."  

• Like 3

Sig..gif.a3346491b24c9bc3827e18c57ef3b7ff.gif.6f7ce54313e70f1931299845e4d29d20.gif

Here's two more:

1. Takanuva didn't carve the rock to be his former mask (kanohi pakari). He just peeled the outer layer to reveal that the internal sculpture of the pakari was there all along. Don't believe me? look at it frame by frame. You can clearly see half of the mask already being there before the beam reaches the rock.

2. in the beginning of "the mask of light", Takua reads the writing on the mask of light, and says the he has never seen this langage before,  but then reads the same symbols at ono-koro highway. Many people believe it to be a plot hole. Couldn't be more wrong! These are the same symbols that are used in the matoran language, indeed, but just like latin letters are used throughout many human languages, the symbols being the same does not mean that the words are in matoran. Don't believe me? when Nokama translates the words on the mask, you can clearly hear her saying that are not in english (and for us, english is matoran). So, you can assume that the symbols on the mask are supposed to be read differently than matoran.

Now, I know that they in fact do spell something in english, that is an easter egg, but I would argue that even if the symbols are the same, the sound they should make could be different. When Takua tried to read them as if they were regular matoran, all he read was gibberish, and thus him saying - "never seen this language before".

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My first exposure to Bionicle was in '07, with the McDonalds Toa Mahri toys. I was under the impression that Nuparu was the bad guy (All black, I guess.) I was around five at the time. 

I read the chapter books once I was able to. I had a rather small selection at our little summer reading library, so I definitely didn't read them in order. Because of this, I believed that the Mask of Life had sacrificed itself at the Battle of Metru Nui, awakening Mata Nui and killing the Bohrok Kal.

• Like 1

:smilematoro:

I had no idea the masks of power were even a thing until like 2014 when I got back into Bionicle. So I was always mystified in MNOG whenever a Toa would change their mask and thought they were animation mistakes.

For the longest time I thought Kaita was pronounced "Kai - EE - tah" instead of "Kai - tah" and make that mistake every now and then thanks to 15+ years of habit reinforcement.

I was always under the impression that many years passed in-story between when the Toa landed on Mata-Nui and the end of the Bionicle story on the reunited Bara Magna, but in reality it was only like one year??

8 hours ago, Jaekoff said:

I was always under the impression that many years passed in-story between when the Toa landed on Mata-Nui and the end of the Bionicle story on the reunited Bara Magna, but in reality it was only like one year??

To be fair, that was a ret-con from Bionicle's later years. I know the comics of 2003 specifically referenced a longer time period passing since the Toa Mata arrived - the second text box in Rise of the Rahkshi stated in Makuta's own words "For years, the Toa have believed me defeated", and Tahu's words in the comic previous that Vakama gave him the Vahi "long ago" also seems to corroborate that idea. I don't remember exactly when that detail was ret-conned, but it's always been one of my least-liked changes to the story.

• Like 1

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

it didn't take just a year in-universe to get from the toa on mata-nui to the reformed spherus magna, did it?

EDIT: after some checking it appears i shared that misconception. how that at all makes sense from a story standpoint i have no idea, it's funny to see all the big backstory events take place over thousands of years and then see the entire quest to reawaken mata nui and reform spherus magna take one

Edited by King of Kings
  • Upvote 1

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a few weeks in 2001 where I seriously tried to reconcile Mata Nui as "The Great Spirit" with my religious beliefs on God. Like really, how did this Mata Nui guy fit in with Jesus? I swear I even drew a MNOG inspired doodle during that time with God and Jesus literally commanding Mata Nui to go be the Great Spirit to the 'Bionicles'; and somehow Gali's Tarakava battle from MNOG was involved in it too with me as a kid witnessing it (I had no clue  the player character in MNOG was Takua and just assumed it was me wandering around the island)... the details have grown fuzzy over time about what I was actually trying to say with those doodles. I was seven years old at the time, and eventually I realized Mata Nui was you know... just a Lego character. 

I blame that confusion on the fact all the early Bionicle narrators actually sound like they might have well been narrating Bible videos in the 70's. Something about the tone and mystical atmosphere of Bionicle really had a spiritual sense to it in those early years that I may have taken a tad to seriously as a seven year old. This video the perfect example of such: 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

@Xboxtravis I did a very similar thing with Matoro when I was young-especially when for a brief time I wondered if "Toa" Ignika was Matoro reincarnated. I even remember on one Sunday when we couldn't go to church for some reason, my parents wanted us to still do "church at home" and they let me read to the family the 11th Ignition comic where Matoro sacrificed himself. 

You're drawing sounds actually quite fascinating: the fact that you were reconciling the two figures (God and Mata-Nui) is interesting (rather than just equating them). That's essentially more or less what C.S. Lewis does with with the Narnia books-describe the salvation story of an imaginary world.   

47 minutes ago, Xboxtravis said:

I blame that confusion on the fact all the early Bionicle narrators actually sound like they might have well been narrating Bible videos in the 70's.

That's literally hilarious XD

Sig..gif.a3346491b24c9bc3827e18c57ef3b7ff.gif.6f7ce54313e70f1931299845e4d29d20.gif

It is painfully obvious that LEGO's "no religion" rule was only developed in full after BIONICLE's launch. Which isn't a bad thing. Life imitates art imitates life.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

15 hours ago, Alexander123 said:

I remember trying to allegorically do Bionicle to represent my Christian beliefs too, I wonder if anyone else did?

My dad wasn't a fan of a young me being so obsessed with these magical robots with sleeping gods, so I remember trying a few times to show him some of the similarities between the Bionicle story and some aspects of Christianity, as much as a 7-year old could articulate. Eventually he just accepted that I understood what I was talking about and wasn't getting things confused, so he left it alone. Only took a couple months, but I can still remember a few of those conversations.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~