B: TLoMN and its problems and mysteries.

Lenny7092

Hi, guys! Wanna about that cancelled game, Bionicle: The Legend of Mata Nui in 2001? Well, the game is cancelled because it has problems, like the glitches and the fact that it was 90% completed, but fans look at it as a holy grail because it’s supposed to be the first Bionicle game that has the main protagonists as the game’s main protagonists. We never seen the Toa Mata’s action much because of the game being cancelled. 

Speaking of completion, fans wants to complete the poor game. So far, there is a version in this year called Bionicle: The Legend of Mata Nui Rebuilt, where the glitches are fixed and some things in the game are finished, but there’s two things: the fight with the Shadow Toa and the final battle with the Makuta aren’t included in there. We just see the Toa run for their lives in the end. The fans are working on it. Interesting thing is that I found this image that looks like the Makuta battle as it should have been in the game: 

Animation_Battle_of_Mangaia.png 

You can tell by looking at the Toa’s designs. In the game, they never had their big gear things on their backs, like their sets, so that’s why I’m talking about the image. Anyone noticed that when they first saw the image?

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

It's been suggested that that image is from the game, but I have doubts about that because it looks like a shot from a cutscene and the game's three cutscenes don't include Makuta.

Do we know for sure that the game would've had the Makuta scene?

the game is cancelled because it has problems, like the glitches and the fact that it was 90% completed

I think the main problem was that it wasn't going to be finished in time for the year it was meant to be about and the sets it was meant to advertise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sir Kohran said:

It's been suggested that that image is from the game, but I have doubts about that because it looks like a shot from a cutscene and the game's three cutscenes don't include Makuta.

I think the main problem was that it wasn't going to be finished in time for the year it was meant to be about and the sets it was meant to advertise.

The reason it wasn't gonna be finished in time was because the final build they showed Lego was a disaster, owing to Sapphire Studio's mismanagement. So Lego pulled the plug. The Beaverhouse - aka the folks fixing and finishing the game - can attest to this. It's taken a herculean effort on their part to get the game into a semi-functional state, and there are still quite a number of game-breaking bugs.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:41 AM, CyclonatorZ said:

The reason it wasn't gonna be finished in time was because the final build they showed Lego was a disaster, owing to Sapphire Studio's mismanagement. So Lego pulled the plug.

I've always wanted to know who was really at fault here. Did Saffire/Sapphire just take too long, or were Lego unrealistic in expecting a whole game to be completely ready in less than a year?

On 12/16/2019 at 10:18 AM, Sir Kohran said:

were Lego unrealistic in expecting a whole game to be completely ready in less than a year?

Given that licensed games almost always turn out bad because the studio doesn't give the developers enough time to deliver a complete product, I assume this is the case.

We're talking early 2000s LEGO here too, not exactly known for its excellent decision making *cough* Galidor *cough*.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:08 PM, Mukaukau Nuva said:

Given that licensed games almost always turn out bad because the studio doesn't give the developers enough time to deliver a complete product, I assume this is the case.

We're talking early 2000s LEGO here too, not exactly known for its excellent decision making *cough* Galidor *cough*.

It’s funny you bring that up, because there was also a Galidor game that was never finished and so was never released at the intended time...only that one ended up getting released anyway, years later, as budget software!

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

On 12/16/2019 at 9:18 AM, Sir Kohran said:

I've always wanted to know who was really at fault here. Did Saffire/Sapphire just take too long, or were Lego unrealistic in expecting a whole game to be completely ready in less than a year?

It was Sapphire Studio's awful management, end of story. The two brothers that co-owned the company were shady as all get out, and didn't actually know how to run a company. Not that this was a big deal to them. They evaded taxes for a long time after Sapphire Studios "shut down," by re-opening the company under a new name multiple times, and each time "owned" by a different family member. One of the two brothers - the one that was theorized for a while to be the infamous Deep Brick - ended up going to jail over this. The other retired from the gaming industry and became a mormon minister

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

On 12/14/2019 at 10:20 AM, Sir Kohran said:

It wouldn't have been. It's pretty clear from the Makuta dialogue in the beta that the "fight" was little more than him tasking the Toa with clearing the six final challenge rooms. Peri emailed Templar about the image in question last year, and they confirmed that it was created by them for the Wall of History using LoMN assets as there was no existing imagery of the Makuta fight outside of MNOG itself. Also, we have Templar's recent blog posts to put to rest any doubts that they were the ones who created the Vortex Makuta concept.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 2:56 AM, The Shadow Imperator said:

It wouldn't have been. It's pretty clear from the Makuta dialogue in the beta that the "fight" was little more than him tasking the Toa with clearing the six final challenge rooms. Peri emailed Templar about the image in question last year, and they confirmed that it was created by them for the Wall of History using LoMN assets as there was no existing imagery of the Makuta fight outside of MNOG itself. Also, we have Templar's recent blog posts to put to rest any doubts that they were the ones who created the Vortex Makuta concept.

Thanks for this. Do you know much about the challenge rooms?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Shadow Imperator said:

Yeah, we have full access to them in the beta. They're very simple and mostly just test platforming abilities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7XuZklB6ew

To me, the Toa are just running for their lives to beat those time challenges by hopping on platforms. When you are done with Tahu, nothing happened because there is no Shadow Toa fight level or the Makuta fight level because they weren't included in the game as they were supposed to be before the celebration cutscene could happen. The game was incomplete. It's not how you would defeat a villain like Makuta. I mean, he doesn't get hurt when the Toa run away from him. Lol. 

It's also sad that the level with the Toa Kaita being playable in-game was reduced to a cutscene where they fought the Manas and Mana Ko before they got separated into their Toa components. Why are there changes between versions of the game? Whoever made this needs to make up their mind. Lol. 

There's a lesson in life: If a company wants to make a good game without glitches, they have to complete it earlier and make it glitch-free before the due date. Sonic the Hedgehog in 2006 had the same problem as the Bionicle game's horrible problem sort of, but it was released, anyway. 

Bionicle Heroes had the right idea as well. Bionicle: The Game in 2003 is so limited because it never got every planned thing in it on time, kind of like The Legend of Mata Nui. 

I wonder if Hero Factory's Breakout online game is inspired by The Legend of Mata Nui because it sure looks and feels like it, despite the different company that made the game. 

If Bionicle were to come back with a video game, would you hope that it would look like a perfectly-fixed version of The Legend of Mata Nui, like some kind of a modernized remaster? That would be interesting because The Legend of Mata Nui seems to be fun for the most part.

Edited by Lenny7092

2 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

To me, the Toa are just running for their lives to beat those time challenges by hopping on platforms. When you are done with Tahu, nothing happened because there is no Shadow Toa fight level or the Makuta fight level because they weren't included in the game as they were supposed to be before the celebration cutscene could happen. The game was incomplete. It's not how you would defeat a villain like Makuta. I mean, he doesn't get hurt when the Toa run away from him. Lol. 

As I said before, we have Makuta's dialogue and he literally says that completing the challenges will defeat him. We also have Greg stating that the Shadow Toa were intended for the game and from a game design standpoint they would have been easy to cobble together using the existing Toa models. But there's a good chance that they did have a true final fight planned originally, as the alpha version has a more fleshed-out final level with playable Kaita stages and an extra final room called "Kuta," both of which you can see in this video.

"You have come very far, bold Onua...

But your luck--and that of your fellow Toa--is about to run out!

I am but one form of Makuta. Your friends face the others as we speak!

Defeat my challenge and you defeat me...

Fail in your effort, and Mata Nui falls with you!

Aargh!! How could you defeat me!?

No matter--your friends will not be so lucky!

2 hours ago, The Shadow Imperator said:

As I said before, we have Makuta's dialogue and he literally says that completing the challenges will defeat him. We also have Greg stating that the Shadow Toa were intended for the game and from a game design standpoint they would have been easy to cobble together using the existing Toa models. But there's a good chance that they did have a true final fight planned originally, as the alpha version has a more fleshed-out final level with playable Kaita stages and an extra final room called "Kuta," both of which you can see in this video.

Man, that's scary. In the video, the player has nowhere to go, and couldn't complete the level like that. No wonder how the game was cancelled. The clip scene with the Toa and Matoran celebrating could have happened after Tahu completed his part of the level (well, of course, the Toa would have to fight their Shadow Toa counterparts after their running parts if these fights were included). 

23 minutes ago, Zidonaro said:

Also I woud really like to know what build of the game this image is from, It looks like it's from Ga-koro but it has onua in it.

image1.jpg

I remember looking at that image in the 2001 Rahi set instructions (it’s on the back pages). At first, I thought Onua was playing football because of the grassy background, but I discovered the truth. It looks like a prototype.