Contest prize

eilrach

As I was looking over some of the old Bionicle commercials I came across one that was to do with a competition and the prize was all the sets from 2005 for second place and for first place the prize was a solid gold hau and I wondered what happened to it and the prizes of other contests.

Don't know specifically about the 2005 contest; but one of the current owners of a Solid Gold Hau is Andre Hurley. He also owns the Platinum Avohkii from a 2003 contest which he bought secondhand for about $15,000. The Platinum Avhokii is considered the most expensive Lego piece ever sold. Andre used to be on these forums, but he isn't anymore; although he still posts stuff on his Facebook page showcasing his collection. He actually lives about an hours drive away from me here in Utah, I wonder if he ever does open houses of his collection? I'd love to see that stuff in person.

Speaking of Utah... one of the prototype Sand Tarakava's was sent to Saffire Studios in Utah as a reference model for the Legend of Mata Nui and Tales of the Tohunga games. It was allegedly handed as the trophy for a company bowling party in 2001... so yeah... somebody won a rare prototype Lego set in a bowling tournament. I wonder if they still have it 19 years later?

As for other contest prize stuff... that is beyond me. I don't think the winners of any of the Solid Gold G2 masks from 2015 are currently known; although I do think a few of the winners of the G2 Art Book are known. 

EDIT: The owner of the 14K Mask of Ice just posted about it on social media; so there is one more known contest prize location found. I also found the 14K mask of creation winner on Beyond the Brick: 

And the 14K Mask of Earth: 

Edited by Xboxtravis

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

On 1/8/2020 at 8:11 PM, Xboxtravis said:

Speaking of Utah... one of the prototype Sand Tarakava's was sent to Saffire Studios in Utah as a reference model for the Legend of Mata Nui and Tales of the Tohunga games. It was allegedly handed as the trophy for a company bowling party in 2001... so yeah... somebody won a rare prototype Lego set in a bowling tournament. I wonder if they still have it 19 years later?

I am currently cringing at the thought of whoever won that Sand Tarakava set not knowing the value of what they have, and dismantling it for parts.

Also, not a prize par say, but I remember back in the way old days of BZP, one of the first threads I ever posted on was someone who received the last orange Vahi through Lego Support when (I think) theirs became damaged or something. That mask was made from a different mold when they made the gold plastic version a few years later (Still have mine somewhere.)

I was there when Bionicle started in 2001. The next ten years were a great run. Sadly, all things must come to an end. But I will stop by and check in from time to time.

14 hours ago, Serpent of Fire said:
On 1/8/2020 at 11:11 PM, Xboxtravis said:

I am currently cringing at the thought of whoever won that Sand Tarakava set not knowing the value of what they have, and dismantling it for parts.

You can rest easy, because the employee who won it (Darvell Hunt) talked about this in the Litestone Discord server. He sold it on eBay to Mark Durham of Mask of Destiny. It's in very safe hands.

The whole "five Sand Tarakavas were sold to collectors" thing is a myth, by the way. I've yet to see a credible source for it.

Edited by The Shadow Imperator
  • Like 3