More Great Spirit Robot Foreshadowing

Xboxtravis

I am pretty sure someone here has probably mentioned it once already sometime... but a scroll through BS01 made me notice something about the overhead views of Mata Nui the island we got all the way back in 2001:

580px-CGI_Mata_Nui_(Island).thumb.jpg.4d9d9bf79b666426c952e17dfe3fad0f.jpg

Notice anything funny with the way the shallow waters surrounding the island are? Let me highlight the area a bit...
580px-CGI_Mata_Nui_(Island)Highlight.thumb.jpg.ada6d5233e0208fac04336f105b50363.jpg

Yep... that's the effect of Mata Nui's head and shoulders underneath the island. I don't know why, but catching these hidden bits of foreshadowing nearly 20 years later still gives me a kick. Interesting to note a Faber concept art from 2006 that showed the planned Ignition arc offered a 'zoomed out' view of the area and the full effect of Mata Nui underneath the waves: Faber%20Files_2001-2008.jpg

From what I can tell, the original artwork (or one very similar to it) must have been used on the Bionicle.com website. It can be seen, very blurry in a screengrab from Bionicle Comic 4 that shows the Bionicle.com website:

Comic.thumb.JPG.6bd65bd8133d4c1b884a3eee5584f941.JPG

Oddly enough, the "Expedition To Mata Nui" fansite by Binkmeister from that era has its own art showing the shadow cast by the Great Spirit Robot's head and shoulders in its files:
satellite_image.jpg

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

6 hours ago, Aderia said:

Great find, great research!! Begs the question - does that make the volcano his nose? 

Guess Mata Nui had a pretty bad cold, then, considering that the Mangai was always active...

• Upvote 1

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

12 hours ago, Aderia said:

Great find, great research!! Begs the question - does that make the volcano his nose? 

the volcano is his mouth! mt ihu is the nose

• Like 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Sorry, I feel like I kind of derailed your topic. I did some more digging to the parts that intrigued/puzzled me. 

I'm having trouble picturing how Voya Nui, Mahri Nui, the Pit, and Karda Nui all are situated, like, vertically. I know they're not all horizontally lined up. Voya Nui is floating on the water (how does Mt. Valmai erupt? Where does the magma come from?) Mahri is hanging out on the GSR's ribcage? the Pit is open ocean? 

I appreciate the direct comparison of Metru to Mata Nui size. I know people have talked about the size of Metru/Mata Nui (notably here, and listed on BS01 and the Bionicle Wiki). This has probably surfaced before (pun?), but here's a shot from the Faber Files (source) comparing the size of Mata Nui (island) to Denmark. Denmark has 5.06 million population, and is 65/232 in countries by population density (source). (Still think 1,000 population is ridiculously small, even on Metru Nui, which would be a fairly large city, areawise by our standards.) Do we have an idea how big Aqua Magna is? How did an impact from something as large as the GSR not destroy the planet? 

471078609_FaberFiles_TuragaFiles_Exhibit022(1).thumb.jpg.f2069d7ace21946147960ac7b8ac069b.jpg

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

oh hey, a lore thing i actually have an answer to. if my understanding is right because i actually looked into this recently: the Pit was a location inside the GSR, and when the Great Cataclysm occured damage to the GSR caused the Pit to flood and its prisoners escaped into the open water and were mutated

EDIT: yeah, biosector clears it up pretty quickly: the Pit was a jail, the dome got flooded by the Great Cataclysm, etc. 

Edited by King of Kings
  • Upvote 1

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

I think plot armor is the only reason Spherus Magna wasn't destroyed the second the Great Spirit Robot took its first step! Rule of Cool wins that battle. 

Anyways, the length of the island according to BioSector01 is about 486 km from tip to tip. Here is a few views of what that looks like on a real globe for scale. I guess Takua did a lot of walking in MNOG we never saw:

486.1.thumb.JPG.c88e0d06727927e37a1d241beb4ec203.JPG

486.2.thumb.JPG.e33b1ba90c50ad0cec41267de47dfa56.JPG

• Like 3

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

• 2 weeks later...