Ga-Matoran as Greek inspired Amazons?

bohrokmaster

I'm just thinking about the all-female village on the Island of Mata Nui back in 01. Would you say that they would be interpreted or somehow similar as the Amazons of Greek Mythology; but as villagers, chieftains, and fisherwomen instead of being warriors such as the Amazons on the Island of Themysicra (Wonder Woman's homeland) ?

Just something to share in my tin-foiled hat theory.

Edited by bohrokmaster

9 hours ago, bohrokmaster said:

I'm just thinking about the all-female village on the Island of Mata Nui back in 01. Would you say that they would be interpreted or somehow similar as the Amazons of Greek Mythology; but as villagers, chieftains, and fisherwomen instead of being warriors such as the Amazons on the Island of Themysicra (Wonder Woman's homeland) ?

Just something to share in my tin-foiled hat theory.

I heard that in the sales pitch, Gali was the only girl toa. They thought it would be easier to say only ga-bionicles are girls than to explain why she was the only girl. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but that’s at least what I heard.

46 minutes ago, ToaDume said:

I heard that in the sales pitch, Gali was the only girl toa. They thought it would be easier to say only ga-bionicles are girls than to explain why she was the only girl. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but that’s at least what I heard.

That sounds about right.

Being all-female is where the similarities end. The Ga-Matoran were arguably the least warrior-like of the tribes, so much so that Dalu was written to be aggressive as an unexpected twist. Going deeper, as far as I know, the Amazons weren't just all-female; they actively rejected everything male. The Ga-Matoran still had friends in other villages, at least as much as any of the other villages did.

As for what historical culture might have inspired them, I would argue that Ga-Koro and Ta-Koro were the most explicitly Polynesian of the original six koro, in different ways: Ta-Koro focuses on the islands originating from molten volcanic rock, and Ga-Koro on the serenity of after they fully cool and plant life grows. Possibly commenting on the fundamental unity that exists between them.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

7 hours ago, Wxiba said:

I mean, there's also the emphasis on studying the stars, which I guess is an overall Matoran thing, but at least on Mata Nui it seemed most connected to Ga-Koro.

I find it interesting on Mata Nui that Nixie is the main astronomer, however in Metru Nui astronomy was mostly the practice of the Ko-Matoran. I guess the main difference is on Mata Nui, Nixie was looking up at a real sky of stars, and the planets and moons of the Solis Magna system. I wonder if Bara Magna and Bota Magna were visible in the night sky above? On the other hand the Ko-Matoran back on Metru Nui were mostly staring at a bunch of blinking lights inside a robot head! :P

As for the Amazonian connection... if the other Koro's were not also divided by gender but had a more 50/50 male-female ratio like human society; then I could say Ga-Koro could indeed be a tribe of Amazon-like characters. But since each element is gender locked, I really can't draw the connection since by the same logic the rest of the island is a tribe of dudes. 

• Upvote 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!