Least favorite sets

Fry

What are your least favorite sets?

Honestly I think the year 2004 was really bad set wise. The Toa Metru are sort of more poseable than the original batch of Toa, but I've always found them less fun to play with and to have less MOC potential. I also really hate the Metruan and hold that they are probably among the worst batch of mini-set lines in Bionicle history. They are just so cumbersome and awkward looking, especially from the side.

Even the titans which are usually the highlights of any year weren't that great, with Nivawk in particular being flimsy and more clumsily designed than Bionicle sets usually are in my opinion. Nidhiki looks cool, but in the hands he's very limited in what you can do with him and just not a whole lot of fun to build or play with. Krekka and the Vahki are alright though. Overall the sets from 2004 look cool on like, promotional posters, but they're not that fun to play with. (I could also go into how I think 2004 had a particularly underwritten story, but that sounds like a topic for another thread).

Thoughts? What are some of YOUR least favorite sets?

This may come as a surprise to some: the 2001 Toa.

Their pre-bent limbs, floppy arms/legs (depending on where the gear function is), not to mention they look rather spindly.

I will concede that the gearboxes can be locked, but even that requires extra pieces.

RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

Agree with both previous posters. I've heard the 2001 Toa described as better statues than toys, and that works on so many levels.

I detest how the "shoulder" ball joint on the Mata becomes the "elbow" joint on the Metru. Elbows are cool, but good shoulder articulation is a necessity for dynamic posing.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

For me? Has to be Karzahni.

I dunno. I just... found the Karzahni set disappointing on several levels. I'd never really been bothered by the wacky proportions of some Bionicle sets before that, simply accepting that they weren't human, so didn't necessarily need to match human proportions. But the way Karzahni had this wide bulky body, mounted on comparatively spindly legs, which in turn were placed as far apart as possible... in his case, I just couldn't look past it, and it made him impractical to pose or play with for me, too. In addition, the trap he was packaged with, while nice enough of a design, just felt like it was there to fill the space and didn't add much to the experience.

That my favourite parts of the set were the Matoran (particularly Idris), and the recoloured Vakama Hordika heads on that served as Karzahni's knees, perhaps speaks for itself!

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

I liked the original Bohrok, but I disliked the 2003 Bohrok Kal because they basically repeated the Bohrok from the previous year... just with silver bits. Still, they have all the fun the original Bohrok had in play functions, even if they are just a retread of what came before. 

I never cared much for the Hordika... I got three of them, Nuju, Matau and Vakama... but I haven't picked up any since their release in 2005. In comparison with the Metru build, I got Vakama, Nokama, Lhikan, and the two Toa Hagah as a kid; and have since got Metru Matau and Whenua as an adult. I am tempted to get Nuju and Onewa to finish the collection. I have yet to have any desire to really go and get any of the Hordika I missed. Also I found the Vhisorak kind of weak as villains, especially when compared to the Vahki and the Piraka which they are sandwiched between. 

I don't majorly dislike any of the G2 sets. I have yet to get Skull Skorpio since he is my least favorite of the 2015 stuff, but I don't dislike that set and am planning on eventually picking it up so I can complete him as my last retail set to add to the 2015 collection. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Well, the Toa Mata/Nuva because they are more like statues than playable action figures because their limbs and neck are not bendable or able to be articulated. 

The Bohrok-Kal is a repeat of the Bohrok, but with silver pieces and new shields. 

The Toa Hordika because of their uneven arms. 

Hewkii Mahri because of his uneven arms and how his mask is designed 

Gadunka because of his neck 

The Lord of Skull Spiders, Skull villains (Skull Scorpio is the worst), and the Elemental Beasts because of their designs. Not all Toa got their particular counterpart with infected masks. 

So, yeah.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I'd like to add the Rahkshi as sets I don't really like. Even as a kid I thought they were goofy looking and their little t-rex arms severely limits their poseability. Looking at my collection somehow I've ended up with all 6 in their canisters despite never making a particular effort to get them all.

I also think the original Makuta set from 2003 is kind of badly designed, as a kid the front two gunmetal Toa Nuva chest pieces were constantly popping out, and the legs had 0 articulation and barely seemed to hold up the weight of the upper body.

Edited by Jaekoff

The Toa Ignika always seemed a bit ugly to me, those rubber masks (spikes? Scales!? Teeth???) , the marbled colours (those would be fine if there were more varieties) and the colour schemes of Hewkii and Nuparu were a bit odd. 

still they were fine compared to the Toa Hordika, the idea of being mutated could of been much better executed without being garish.

The mataron of mata nui were disappointing in that they had limited colours. And those ab things are gross looking.

On 2/22/2020 at 11:01 PM, Jaekoff said:

I also think the original Makuta set from 2003 is kind of badly designed, as a kid the front two gunmetal Toa Nuva chest pieces were constantly popping out, and the legs had 0 articulation and barely seemed to hold up the weight of the upper body.

I found the set disappointing for these reasons. I also didn't care for the big gap in his back between his upper and lower torso and his swivel function does little more than interfere with posing.

Similarly, I've never liked the Takanuva set. The katana pieces never seem to line up properly with the Ussanui is in flight mode, Takanuva's arms always pop off when I attach him to the vehicle, the voodoo ball is always falling off his back, and his weapon is kind of underwhelming and there's no way to hold it that doesn't look clunky with the Mata hands.

The more hindsight I have, the more I've gained a distaste for the Piraka. I don't mind prefab torsos and the Inika torso is incredibly versatile, but the Piraka torso is hard to use, doesn't have many connection points, juts out at weird angles in certain places, and largely only came in metallic colors, which limits it use in MOCing. The spines were a neat idea but limited arm and head poses, the big feet on half of them were just odd, and why did they have to have arms of two different sizes? Is there some T-Rex blood in their families?

Plus Avak's head never worked right and that always upset me.

• Upvote 1

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

46 minutes ago, Sir Kohran said:

I've always disliked the Rahaga and 2006 Matoran for not having any new pieces. It comes across as a pretty cheap way to use up pieces left over from previous years and meet the requirement for the 'small sets' at the same time.

I found the 2006 Matoran particularly disappointing in that regard because they didn't even have any pieces in new colours. I didn't see the point in buying sets I already had the pieces to build.

Personally I could list almost any playset or vehicle as a least favourite set. The playsets just never appealed to me and I enjoyed building/playing with characters, so the most the vehicles would ever be were extra parts for MOCs.

But if I put playsets and vehicles aside...I guess Kongu Mahri is as good a contender as any. He was the 4th Toa of Air set in a row to have a dark and dull colour scheme while other Toa were getting more interesting colours thrown into the mix, and he was so absurdly wide/short he just looked ridiculous. And no melee weapon? I'll pass. They also released Lesovikk in the same year and while I know the Lime pieces were cursed he looked much, much cooler than Kongu Mahri.

Edited by Danska: Shadow Master

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

I agree with your sentiment about the 2004 sets; I never really liked their aesthetic. The Toa Metru were cool, and I liked the recolors of the Turaga masks on the Matoran, but the Matoran build was awful (especially those dainty limbs) and I don't like the Vahki or the Titan sets at all. 2005 was also a poor year set-wise, although the Titans that year were much better (Sidorak & Keetongu are both 10/10).

On 2/25/2020 at 4:10 PM, Danska: Shadow Master said:

But if I put playsets and vehicles aside...I guess Kongu Mahri is as good a contender as any. He was the 4th Toa of Air set in a row to have a dark and dull colour scheme while other Toa were getting more interesting colours thrown into the mix, and he was so absurdly wide/short he just looked ridiculous. And no melee weapon? I'll pass. They also released Lesovikk in the same year and while I know the Lime pieces were cursed he looked much, much cooler than Kongu Mahri.

Good one. I remember being unimpressed with Kongu Mahri just from his pictures. The Mahri were one of my favorite series of Toa but Kongu was really phoned-in.

IetTsFQ.png

In an effort to put out a unique answer, I'll say the Tohunga/McToran. I always loved their charming little size and disk-throwing ability, but the arms wear out after a while, so you have to launch disks sparingly to increase the arms' longevity. Also, I know their grey heads are borderline-universally panned by fans and builders alike. In my opinion, the Toa Mata/Nuva heads are far superior. The 2003 Matoran may not have aged as gracefully (I'm sure someone will disagree), but they were a much-needed upgrade at the time.

For an honorable mention, there's also any Agori that isn't Zesk. They brought some recolored pieces to the table, but at the end of the day, they're still a rehash of the Av-Matoran from the previous year. Zesk gets points for his cool scorpion tale that breaks the mold of the average Av-Matoran/Agori, but that's about it. As a side note, I didn't like the extra ball joint behind his head. EDIT: Scratch all that; my opinion is reversed. The Agori may be a rehash, but they did things better than the Av-Matoran did. I wasn't thinking beyond the reused building system. Thank you for sharing your opinion, Ironfist.

Edited by Sybre
I changed my opinion.

mindeth the cobwebs

43 minutes ago, Sybre said:

I'll say the Tohunga/McToran. I always loved their charming little size and disk-throwing ability, but the arms wear out after a while, so you have to launch disks sparingly to increase the arms' longevity. Also, I know their grey heads are borderline-universally panned by fans and builders alike.

I second this, but would also like to add the fact that their articulation is very limited. Only 5 points of it (unless the rubber arms count) and they are hinges, not ball-and-socket joints.

2 hours ago, Laval- Master of Energy said:

I second this, but would also like to add the fact that their articulation is very limited. Only 5 points of it (unless the rubber arms count) and they are hinges, not ball-and-socket joints.

Don’t forget the Turaga in 2001. They don’t have ball-and-socket joints, either.

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

If 2016 counts, Umarak the hunter. He just wouldn’t stand up right and kept falling over, and his blade thing was too long. I ended up using his blade to hold him upright. The studs fell off the ammo holder, too, since it was loose and kept smacking everything. 

For 2001 Vakama’s faults, at least he stayed together and didn’t fall on his bum. 

• Like 1

2010 Stars. (It just needed to be said)

I wasn't super happy with the '03 Takanuva set, but my only real problem with it was that the Ussanui was too front heavy (which honestly kinda makes sense when I think about it, so I guess it's just a matter of taste). 

There really aren't that many sets that I've been overly disappointed with-mostly because nearly anything can be MOCed around with to make better... Except the Rahkshi. Those stupid little arms are ridiculous. They also always felt to me a little too similar (again, this kinda makes sense in terms of the story, but a little more variety would have been nice).   

Sig..gif.a3346491b24c9bc3827e18c57ef3b7ff.gif.6f7ce54313e70f1931299845e4d29d20.gif

nobody's brought up the original av-toran yet.  hm.

looking back on them, the av-toran were actually really bad.  laughably short build times, flat torsos, limbs stuck in static poses, those terrible trans-clear head pieces with the awkward forward-sticking necks, and gray/black as an inescapable part of each one's color scheme.  photok admittedly looked kind of neat, but the rest of them were mediocre at best.  solek was the worst of the bunch.  (creative opinion, i know.)  dull white-and-gray color scheme, boring weapons, ugly mask, and every limb piece was that particularly ugly design with all the pin holes.  i actually had the misfortune of owning him back when he first came out, and two of his limb sockets completely broke when i first put him together.

i respectfully disagree with sybre about the agori.  all of them were pretty neat.  they all had cool helmets, interesting color schemes, head pieces that fixed the awkward neck problem, and in general they at least tried to have a little more variety than the av-toran, who were painfully boring.

3 hours ago, Ironfist said:

photok admittedly looked kind of neat, but the rest of them were mediocre at best.  solek was the worst of the bunch.  (creative opinion, i know.)  dull white-and-gray color scheme

I think that Tanma may be slightly worse, due to his lime socket pieces. We all know what happened to those, don't we?

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Laval- Master of Energy said:

Oh yeah, I didn't even think about that! I guess I was trying to give them a little bit of a chance because at the end of the day, they were still McDonald's promotionals (and the best McD's BIONICLE promotionals of all time, might I add). But man, is that point hard to ignore.

4 hours ago, Ironfist said:

nobody's brought up the original av-toran yet.  hm.

looking back on them, the av-toran were actually really bad.  laughably short build times, flat torsos, limbs stuck in static poses, those terrible trans-clear head pieces with the awkward forward-sticking necks, and gray/black as an inescapable part of each one's color scheme.  photok admittedly looked kind of neat, but the rest of them were mediocre at best.  solek was the worst of the bunch.  (creative opinion, i know.)  dull white-and-gray color scheme, boring weapons, ugly mask, and every limb piece was that particularly ugly design with all the pin holes.  i actually had the misfortune of owning him back when he first came out, and two of his limb sockets completely broke when i first put him together.

i respectfully disagree with sybre about the agori.  all of them were pretty neat.  they all had cool helmets, interesting color schemes, head pieces that fixed the awkward neck problem, and in general they at least tried to have a little more variety than the av-toran, who were painfully boring.

Okay, you know what, that's a better answer than mine. I'm being serious. The Agori were a rehash for sure, but at least they did a lot of things better than the Av-Matoran (at least the latter had jetpacks). I didn't even give the Agori that. I'm glad you shared your opinion with me. I'm gonna go edit my original post.

mindeth the cobwebs

7 hours ago, Ironfist said:

solek was the worst of the bunch.  (creative opinion, i know.)  dull white-and-gray color scheme, boring weapons, ugly mask, and every limb piece was that particularly ugly design with all the pin holes. 

I actually have been preparing to build a CCBS based G2 style revamp of Solek; just because of how much of a meme that character is for in part due to this opinion. More so with a spoof a TTV's jokes on the subject, but it seems pretty universal Solek is disliked. Personally, I think the mask is kind of neat; but it suffers the same problem all masks post 2004 had, they aren't ABS plastic and feel thinner. I am glad I never got the original Av-Matoran though, I feel like my CCBS rebuilds on them will be better since they won't have such weak joints.

I don't have Solek really that far along yet, but I am finished with Gavla and Kirop is almost finished... so its kind of my example of how these characters look in a different style. I guess what my MOC is trying to say, is the Av-Matoran and Shadow Matoran had some neat ideas... but Lego executed them poorly in 2008 with the socket design, limited articulation and low piece count; but their silhouettes offer plenty of potential.

784552754_20200227_1621251.thumb.jpg.254d08506ba7a8e76431af3ef684865b.jpg

• Like 4

I will never know why Lego didn't release two versions of each Av-Matoran (i.e. light vs shadow). It honestly makes perfect sense to me, and as dumb as Solek is, I wouldn't mind seeing what he would have looked like had a shadow leech got 'im. Not to mention how cool it would be to have a pre (or post) mutation Radiak. 

I will say though that given the choice between an Av-Matoran and a Metruan, I'd take the Av-Matoran (at least their limbs are bigger than my thumbnail lol).    

• Like 1

Sig..gif.a3346491b24c9bc3827e18c57ef3b7ff.gif.6f7ce54313e70f1931299845e4d29d20.gif

I'm going to stick to sets that I've actually had in-hand, to keep things fair.

I'm not a big fan of Matoro Mahri. His chest has too many gaps, his mask is of a sufficiently different colour than his body to make it distracting (and the tube ensures MOC'ing with it will be conspicuous). His feet are too small; whatever one thinks of the Cordak Blasters, Matoro's is too heavy for him. His shoulder pads flop about whenever you move him, and his weapon is largely impracticable. 

Listing it out makes it sound like I dislike it more than I actually do; I wouldn't actually say he's my least favourite.

I never found Toa Hordika Vakama (and by proxy the others, since the sets are clones) to be a strong set. I know others have emphasized the gapiness of the Hordika already, but they just feel... light and cheap to me. Their construction (especially in the feet and rib-cages) feel hollow compared to the solid and compact construction of their Metru counterparts. The sharp, consistent colour scheme of the Metru is also abandoned for a wash of silver on top of grey; never a good look. The ripcord jutting out the chest is the final nail in the coffin.

I know they're supposed to look ugly, but that's because they're supposed to be animals, right? But the look doesn't match animals at all; I'm aware of no animals with silver armour and an elongated right limb!

15 minutes ago, Mukaukau Nuva said:

I know they're supposed to look ugly, but that's because they're supposed to be animals, right? But the look doesn't match animals at all; I'm aware of no animals with silver armour and an elongated right limb!

I think you might be forgetting that they're not base on Earth animals. They're based on Rahi. And there's a ton of rahi with silver armor and disproportionate limbs, practically a full book's worth.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ToaDume said:

I think you might be forgetting that they're not base on Earth animals. They're based on Rahi. And there's a ton of rahi with silver armor and disproportionate limbs, practically a full book's worth.

I tend not to count the contest models (the ones with the most silvery bits on them) when I consider the context of things like this, given the begrudging nature with which they've been inserted into the canon. Spinax is all silver, so he gets a pass from me, and at least Fenrakk keeps most his silver confined to his head and... claws(? I don't know what to call them).

Limbs longer than we might be used to are usual for some rahi, but I can't think of one with one arm longer than the other.

11 minutes ago, Mukaukau Nuva said:

I tend not to count the contest models (the ones with the most silvery bits on them) when I consider the context of things like this, given the begrudging nature with which they've been inserted into the canon. Spinax is all silver, so he gets a pass from me, and at least Fenrakk keeps most his silver confined to his head and... claws(? I don't know what to call them).

Limbs longer than we might be used to are usual for some rahi, but I can't think of one with one arm longer than the other.

I think the contest models are just as canon as any other model.  Plus there were some in story non contest models that fit the bill. This might a cheap shot since it's a combined of the toa hordika but the rock raptor was one rahi with random silver and one arm longer than the other.

Edit: the ash bear which usually has the form of makuta nui also fits that description I think.

Even on earth some animals have much bigger limbs. Such as various species of crabs with one ridiculously large claw. If you look at the wikipedia's picture for fiddler crabs, it has one limb much larger than the other and appears to have flecks of silver on the claw

Edited by ToaDume

15 hours ago, Mukaukau Nuva said:

Wasn't the mismatched arm thing supposed to represent them being sort of a mix of Rahi and Toa? I thought I read that the longer arm was supposed to represent a Rahi limb, while the other represented a normal Toa arm, hence the differing lengths; it was a way of emphasising the imbalance between their Rahi and Toa sides, I believe?

I'm not trying to defend their decision; but I think that was stated a while back as the intention behind it?

• Upvote 1

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 5:31 PM, Laval- Master of Energy said:

Solek's only problem is that he uses the Agori build.

Am I really the only person who likes bland color schemes?

How come, out of curiosity? Something as simple as giving him blue eyes would have made him look more cohesive if you ask me.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

On 3/8/2020 at 6:50 AM, Master Inika said:

How come, out of curiosity? Something as simple as giving him blue eyes would have made him look more cohesive if you ask me.

I never said he was a perfect set. The eye color does indeed leave something to be desired, but he doesn't suffer from any other issues (that I know about).

4 hours ago, Laval- Master of Energy said:

I never said he was a perfect set. The eye color does indeed leave something to be desired, but he doesn't suffer from any other issues (that I know about).

True. People might jump on the anti-Solek bandwagon too much, but I do think, while all the Av-Matoran are pretty weak sets, the problems compound on Solek the most. This is subjective, but I find his mask design and weapon choices to just not look as thought-out as the other two. Tanma and Photok look pretty great standing next to their respective Toa, like Mini-Mes, but Solek just doesn't. The green eyes look great on Tanma and acceptable on Photok, but green and white is probably one of the least appealing color combinations I've seen in BIONICLE.

• Upvote 1

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

18 hours ago, Master Inika said:

True. People might jump on the anti-Solek bandwagon too much, but I do think, while all the Av-Matoran are pretty weak sets, the problems compound on Solek the most. This is subjective, but I find his mask design and weapon choices to just not look as thought-out as the other two. Tanma and Photok look pretty great standing next to their respective Toa, like Mini-Mes, but Solek just doesn't. The green eyes look great on Tanma and acceptable on Photok, but green and white is probably one of the least appealing color combinations I've seen in BIONICLE.

I can see where you're coming from. I just like Solek, and don't really have a reason.

On a separate note, was Tanma actually afflicted by Lime Joint Syndrome?

1 hour ago, The Shadow Imperator said:

All sets from 2008-2010 were affected by the brittle socket redesign. Now as to whether that new design tended to break as quickly as the dreaded lime joints, I don't know.

Agree. My experience is that the redesign hurt them all equally, not just lime, and it was due to poor design, not poor plastic quality.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

5 minutes ago, Reya said:

Bionicle sets took a nose dive with the Nuva remakes.

They weren't awful sets, but they were underwhelming for a lot of people. I know longtime fans could probably pick out at least three things they'd change about each individual set. Classic color schemes, cosmetic decisions, weapon choices, etc. would have most likely struck the notes a little better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

mindeth the cobwebs

Late 2002 and early 2003 in many ways repeated a lot of what was done before... the Nuva are iconic in my mind because of their marketing and their appearance in Mask of Light, but they are "the same Toa now with silvery bits!" The Bohrok Kal again did that. I kind of feel like a lot of the late 2002-early 2003 story was sort of just stalling for time before Mask of Light was released and the Rahkshi, Makuta, and Takanuva could take the stage. 

On 3/13/2020 at 1:34 AM, The Shadow Imperator said:

All sets from 2008-2010 were affected by the brittle socket redesign. Now as to whether that new design tended to break as quickly as the dreaded lime joints, I don't know.

In my experience they did. They were just far too weak compared to the old (and now current) socket design.

• Like 1

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png