Least favorite sets

Fry

Can I also mention Fero and Skirmix?

I don't even know why I particularly didn't like that set. Maybe it was psychological: Bara Magna didn't hook me, so I had no frame of reference for the characters, and my interests were elsewhere by then. I don't think they were a bad set, per se. But I remember getting them as my first '09 Bionicle set, and just... finding them the blandest of the bland. They didn't feel interesting or unique to me - though perhaps Skirmix's resemblance to a very simplified Kardas Dragon (one of my all-time favourites) didn't help my appreciation for them at all. Nonetheless, they effectively turned me off getting any more Bionicle sets for the remainder of the year, with only a couple of exceptions.

Again, I don't think they were bad. As far as least-favourite sets, though, they definitely qualify for me on that count.

Edited by That Matoran with a Vahi

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

On 3/16/2020 at 3:04 PM, Distorted said:

Umbra.

Just weird, man.

I feel like Umbra would have been one of those "highlight of the year" sets had the designers put their backs into it. Call me crazy, but on paper, Umbra sounds like one of the coolest sets in the entire theme. He's got an axe with a sword on the hilt (both weapons light up too), a spinner launcher in the handle of said weapon, a rare color scheme, and roller skates. He should have been an awesome set, but he's widely regarded as the worst of the 2006 Titans, if he's remembered at all. I don't have Umbra, but I like him. Like I said, though, the designers could have put their backs into him.

I actually like his yellow, green, and silver color scheme, but the mask was a lazy move. It's bad enough that the lovely citizens of Voya Nui reused masks from two years ago, but then Umbra shares a mask with Garan, down to the color and everything. Idris from 2007 gave us a cool recolor of the Kanohi Ruru, so maybe Umbra could have had his in green, yellow, or silver? A whole new mask unique to him would have been swell, but I'm sure the designers would have done that if they could.

I don't know the full story behind Umbra's development, but he really fell by the wayside compared to the other Titans.

• Upvote 1

mindeth the cobwebs

2 minutes ago, TheZOMBIEJ said:

honestly, and i'm probably in the minority, i don't have a least favorite set! i love them all! you are not a true Bionicle fan unless you love and enjoy every set in the entire Bionicle catalog! we all, as Bionicle fans, must appreciate everything Lego created for the Bionicle Community and if you can't accept that well you are an idiot (in my opinion! sorry!)! :) 

just ask yourself... what would Mata Nui say? :) 

I love BIONICLE to the moon and back despite its many faults, and acknowledging those faults doesn't make me any less of a fan than you or anyone else on this site. BIONICLE's never been perfect, especially with its sets, but to me, accepting its mistakes and loving what we've been given is the mark of a true fan. That is, if BIONICLE should even have "true fans" at all. The theme's been a pivotal aspect of my childhood and continues to inspire me to this day, but it's a toy line made for kids. If I don't declare all those toys as perfect and hail them all as a selfless gift from above, does that make me an idiot? Not in the slightest, because as an adult, there are things I need to value and care about more than toys. However, you still have your opinions, and I have mine. I can't stop you from thinking that I'm an idiot, but I want to encourage you to refrain from coming on here and putting people down just because they think a different way from you. I'll admit, I've done that on this site years ago and I'm not proud of it. To show that I've learned from my mistakes, I treated this site as it is: a safe, friendly place to come and discuss LEGO and more without throwing around labels.

Mata Nui would say to not ignore the wrong things going on around you, but rather unite with others to fix them in your own way. People make MOCs and redesign sets to right what they perceive to be wrong with those sets. Mata Nui would also say to not call people names when they're just doing their own thing and not hurting anyone.

I promise I'm not putting you down or anything like that. You and I don't see eye to eye and I accept that. I just don't want to watch you cross the wrong lines and possibly get yourself in trouble. I want you and everyone around you to have fun, and you getting in trouble is not the way to do it.

mindeth the cobwebs

1 hour ago, TheZOMBIEJ said:

honestly, and i'm probably in the minority, i don't have a least favorite set! i love them all! you are not a true Bionicle fan unless you love and enjoy every set in the entire Bionicle catalog! we all, as Bionicle fans, must appreciate everything Lego created for the Bionicle Community and if you can't accept that well you are an idiot (in my opinion! sorry!)! :) 

just ask yourself... what would Mata Nui say? :) 

He'd probably say you're more of an idiot if you can accept that you 'must' do anything than if you can't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sybre said:

I love BIONICLE to the moon and back despite its many faults, and acknowledging those faults doesn't make me any less of a fan than you or anyone else on this site. BIONICLE's never been perfect, especially with its sets, but to me, accepting its mistakes and loving what we've been given is the mark of a true fan. That is, if BIONICLE should even have "true fans" at all. The theme's been a pivotal aspect of my childhood and continues to inspire me to this day, but it's a toy line made for kids. If I don't declare all those toys as perfect and hail them all as a selfless gift from above, does that make me an idiot? Not in the slightest, because as an adult, there are things I need to value and care about more than toys. However, you still have your opinions, and I have mine. I can't stop you from thinking that I'm an idiot, but I want to encourage you to refrain from coming on here and putting people down just because they think a different way from you. I'll admit, I've done that on this site years ago and I'm not proud of it. To show that I've learned from my mistakes, I treated this site as it is: a safe, friendly place to come and discuss LEGO and more without throwing around labels.

Mata Nui would say to not ignore the wrong things going on around you, but rather unite with others to fix them in your own way. People make MOCs and redesign sets to right what they perceive to be wrong with those sets. Mata Nui would also say to not call people names when they're just doing their own thing and not hurting anyone.

I promise I'm not putting you down or anything like that. You and I don't see eye to eye and I accept that. I just don't want to watch you cross the wrong lines and possibly get yourself in trouble. I want you and everyone around you to have fun, and you getting in trouble is not the way to do it.

well thank you for your wise words ov wisdom! i will do what i can to stay out ov trouble (or worse) on this site! i understand your point and it is clear! i do not want to make enemies on this website just over opinions on a toy! i respect your opinions, bro! and on that note i think it's time i play Bionicle Heroes on my GBA just for fun! :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheZOMBIEJ said:

well thank you for your wise words ov wisdom! i will do what i can to stay out ov trouble (or worse) on this site! i understand your point and it is clear! i do not want to make enemies on this website just over opinions on a toy! i respect your opinions, bro! and on that note i think it's time i play Bionicle Heroes on my GBA just for fun! :) 

No problem! Man, thank you so much for reading and taking it to heart. I'm glad I didn't come across as mean because I never wanted to seem that way. It's great that you don't want to make enemies, because who does want to do such a thing? Thank you for respecting my opinions, and I think it's awesome that you love BIONICLE so much to the point where you don't have a least favorite set. Have fun playing BIONICLE Heroes!

mindeth the cobwebs

7 hours ago, Sybre said:

I love BIONICLE to the moon and back despite its many faults, and acknowledging those faults doesn't make me any less of a fan than you or anyone else on this site. BIONICLE's never been perfect, especially with its sets, but to me, accepting its mistakes and loving what we've been given is the mark of a true fan. That is, if BIONICLE should even have "true fans" at all. The theme's been a pivotal aspect of my childhood and continues to inspire me to this day, but it's a toy line made for kids. If I don't declare all those toys as perfect and hail them all as a selfless gift from above, does that make me an idiot? Not in the slightest, because as an adult, there are things I need to value and care about more than toys.

I agree with Sybre. Why is it that there are so many gatekeepers? There are many kinds of Bionicle fan, and each is still legitimate.

• Like 1
RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

On 3/23/2020 at 12:01 PM, Sybre said:

I feel like Umbra would have been one of those "highlight of the year" sets had the designers put their backs into it. Call me crazy, but on paper, Umbra sounds like one of the coolest sets in the entire theme. He's got an axe with a sword on the hilt (both weapons light up too), a spinner launcher in the handle of said weapon, a rare color scheme, and roller skates. He should have been an awesome set, but he's widely regarded as the worst of the 2006 Titans, if he's remembered at all. I don't have Umbra, but I like him. Like I said, though, the designers could have put their backs into him.

I agree with you here. In the books, I always thought Umbra was so cool. The problem was that the coolest thing about him (his ability to turn into a beam of light) is very difficult to translate into set form. There's definitely a lot of untapped potential there. 

• Like 2

Sig..gif.a3346491b24c9bc3827e18c57ef3b7ff.gif.6f7ce54313e70f1931299845e4d29d20.gif

On 3/12/2020 at 9:34 PM, The Shadow Imperator said:

All sets from 2008-2010 were affected by the brittle socket redesign. Now as to whether that new design tended to break as quickly as the dreaded lime joints, I don't know.

That just about killed Bionicle for me. I could not justify buying something that I was certain would break at some point. It was bizarrely low-quality for Lego

• Like 2

Jaller Inika looks like C-3PO and I hate it.

On 3/16/2020 at 5:02 PM, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

Can I also mention Fero and Skirmix?

I don't even know why I particularly didn't like that set. Maybe it was psychological: Bara Magna didn't hook me, so I had no frame of reference for the characters, and my interests were elsewhere by then. I don't think they were a bad set, per se. But I remember getting them as my first '09 Bionicle set, and just... finding them the blandest of the bland. They didn't feel interesting or unique to me - though perhaps Skirmix's resemblance to a very simplified Kardas Dragon (one of my all-time favourites) didn't help my appreciation for them at all. Nonetheless, they effectively turned me off getting any more Bionicle sets for the remainder of the year, with only a couple of exceptions.

Again, I don't think they were bad. As far as least-favourite sets, though, they definitely qualify for me on that count.

That's an interesting take. I'd honestly consider Skirmix one of the better offerings of the first half of 2009. To be honest, if he didn't satisfy you, skipping out on the rest of the year wasn't a bad move. His arms are lazy, but his torso and legs were on par with the good titans from the better years.

On 3/17/2020 at 7:08 PM, Mukaukau Nuva said:

Umbra is one of those sets that I always think is a combiner in the back of my mind. I guess because it looks so much like one...

Umbra would have been impressive if it was a MOC.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

3 hours ago, Jaekoff said:

I actually got Krekka the other day, and I have to say I don't actually like the design much, frankly he seems kind of OVERdesigned.

Can't argue with that. I finally got him a few years ago, and all things considered, I probably would have liked him more when I was 8. His head design is pretty cool though.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I'm a crotchety old fossil who would normally find something to complain about for everything, but in the case of BIONICLE sets I tend to find something to love about all of them. That said, if you asked me what my least favorite set(s) were (which is basically what this topic is for) I could give you a handful of sets I had the most minor gripes with.

I gotta admit the Exo-Toa was a pretty cool set, but as Onua is my favorite Toa, you can probably imagine my disappointment when I found out he couldn't actually fit in the thing (without, y'know, rebuilding him). Pohatu can't fit in it either, meaning only four of the six Toa could actually fit in this thing. (Or nine out of thirteen, if you count the Toa, Toa Nuva, and Takanuva all together.) Also, one of the gears on the back kept falling off, which was annoying. Pretty fun set though. Liked the punching hand.

Speaking of Toa Nuva, as someone who witnessed firsthand the Great Mistika Quarrel of 2008, I'm surprised no one's mentioned them or the Phantoka yet. (Or maybe someone did. I kinda skimmed through this topic.) I don't hate then the way people did twelve or so years ago, but overall they were pretty meh. The Makuta Phantoka were okay at best, but I found the Makuta Mistika to be pretty messy builds. As for the Toa... well, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm pretty sure they designed some generic Toa sets beforehand and slapped the Toa Nuva's names on them at the last minute. Obviously, with Onua being my favorite Toa, I found Onua Mistika to be the biggest offense: the big shield and heavy-looking launcher were plenty Onuaworthy, but the lanky, stick-thin proportions were not. To add insult to injury, prototype images of Pohatu Phantoka used black parts, and actually for made a better Onua. (I kinda liked the Toa's masks for some reason, though.)

Now, if you asked me what my #1 least favorite set was, that would be Roodaka. Between the, erm, anatomy, and the high heels, you've got a set that's trying a little too hard to be a female character. (Not to mention, though I have never personally experienced this, I have heard that high heels are insufferable to wear for long periods of time, so I assume Roodaka exists in a state of constant pain.) I skipped out on Roodaka back in 2005 just because I felt like owning that set would be kinda awkward. I eventually did get two sets years later, but that was just so I could build the Shadowed One and Voporak. Anyway, now I have four silver Rahkshi heads, which were the best part of the set. You wanna build silver Chain Lightning Rahkshi? So do I. They're great parts. That's the best part of this set.

anyway that's my essay

My least favorite set is the Gahlok my brother built wrong so it only has one arm and is thus permanently disabled. 

I blame my brother, not the Gahlok. I am, however, wondering to this day whether or not we could have fixed it to have two arms without damaging the parts.

you can call me boomie :D

On 4/4/2020 at 11:59 AM, Nathan Evo said:

Speaking of Toa Nuva, as someone who witnessed firsthand the Great Mistika Quarrel of 2008, I'm surprised no one's mentioned them or the Phantoka yet.

Actually yeah, now that I think about it, the Mistika line was the only line that I was disappointed by when it initially was released (most of the sets I don't like I was fine with as a kid, but even young me was kinda bummed out). The Makuta were great, but the Mistika Toa were a little bland to me-particularly the weapons. I think I actually appreciate them a little more now than I did at first, but as a kid, they all had the same weapons: Tahu=gun and shield. Onua=gun and shield. Gali=just a gun. 

That being said, I'm fine with the Phantoka Toa. Pohatu's twin propellor drills remain to this day one of my favorite weapons  

• Upvote 1

Sig..gif.a3346491b24c9bc3827e18c57ef3b7ff.gif.6f7ce54313e70f1931299845e4d29d20.gif

God the Mistika and Phantoka were so hideous, although I actually like the bug Mistika. Not necessarily set related, but I HATE the easily cracking pieces of 2007 onward. They are so poorly designed it boggles my mind how Lego could have allowed them to ship. I mean this genuinely, I don't think I have a single uncracked piece in my collection, and I distinctly remember some of them cracking on first time use. Unacceptable.

• Upvote 1