Greg Farshtey might do contests to approve new Bionicle canon

Alexander123

It would be nice if there are contests that could end the G1 story officially (I did see some good fan stories here, though some are not finished), give G2 a proper ending, give characters who weren’t described their physical appearances (Tuyet and Helryx, for examples), and do a crossover between Bionicle and Hero Factory, where HF is a part of Bionicle’s universe because that’s where the Great Beings were when their planet was destroyed. It ain’t worth doing nothing since G2 prematurely ended in 2016. 

Well, we do have a Lego Ideas project, which is the diorama, coming up, and Faber has been talking about “3IO” stuff recently, so who knows? We need Bionicle back again.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Would be nice to finally get designs for major characters like Lariska and Artakha, who are very much a part of the narrative in a big way yet don't have any canon designs, having never been sets or combiners. It sure is odd how a toy-based franchise has so many characters that have never gotten toys...

2 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

It would be nice if there are contests that could end the G1 story officially (I did see some good fan stories here, though some are not finished), give G2 a proper ending...and do a crossover between Bionicle and Hero Factory, where HF is a part of Bionicle’s universe because that’s where the Great Beings were when their planet was destroyed.

Absolutely NONE of that is within the scope of what we just learned can be made possible via contests, nor is any of it a particularly good idea. Let G1 stay in the past, let G2 rest, and leave HF well alone, ESPECIALLY with that crossover nonsense.

• Upvote 2

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

1 hour ago, Sir Keksalot said:

Would be nice to finally get designs for major characters like Lariska and Artakha, who are very much a part of the narrative in a big way yet don't have any canon designs, having never been sets or combiners. It sure is odd how a toy-based franchise has so many characters that have never gotten toys...

Absolutely NONE of that is within the scope of what we just learned can be made possible via contests, nor is any of it a particularly good idea. Let G1 stay in the past, let G2 rest, and leave HF well alone, ESPECIALLY with that crossover nonsense.

Well, there are fan stories in contests that were made canon by Greg, like the one with Varian. So, any story-related fan stuff like that could be possible. I once read in Lego Atlantis website that a Power Miner named Brains from Power Miners joined the Atlantis team, and Ninjago had Legends of Chima as a part of its universe, which are reasonable Lego crossovers, and people are into crossovers these days, so that, too. It’s not going to hurt anyone. It’s about logic, like putting puzzle pieces together. 

Well, of course, we have a lot of characters with unknown descriptions. That includes many major characters, like Helryx (the leader of the Order of Mata Nui), Tuyet (psychotic former friend of Lhikan’s who wants to do conquest), Lariska (loyal Dark Hunter to the Shadowed One), and a Great Being (they are the makers of everything on Spherus Magna). If these guys are major characters, then I believe they should have their descriptions shown visually.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I absolutely love the fact that we are maybe going to get more MOCs canonized...some of the best character's appearances are from fan mocs.

However...this announcement gave me some strong flashbacks to about 6 years ago, with the Toa Mangai canonizations. I loved that too, but there was a lot of backlash.

I'll be paying attention to see what happens with this.

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

13 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

I once read in Lego Atlantis website that a Power Miner named Brains from Power Miners joined the Atlantis team, and Ninjago had Legends of Chima as a part of its universe, which are reasonable Lego crossovers, and people are into crossovers these days, so that, too. It’s not going to hurt anyone. It’s about logic, like putting puzzle pieces together.

There are no puzzle pieces with which to link HF and Bionicle, nor is there any practical merit to such a crossover. There's no "logic" to speak of if you wanna link the themes; believe me, a lot of people have tried. It would be a waste of everyone's time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alexander123 said:

I guess all there is to do now is to organize a contest and see if Greg Farshtey is on board.

Wrong. First, we need to decide who to center the contest around. There's a lot of options--Tuyet, Helryx, Artakha, Lariska, and so many more. We just need to agree on who is the best starting point, and why.

5 hours ago, Sir Keksalot said:

There are no puzzle pieces with which to link HF and Bionicle, nor is there any practical merit to such a crossover. There's no "logic" to speak of if you wanna link the themes; believe me, a lot of people have tried. It would be a waste of everyone's time.

I think I can trust Greg in declaring a fan model "canon" because it doesn't contradict anything from the rest of the G1 story team, it just gives a visual representation to a character from G1. 

But Sir Kek, I have to agree this potential contest is not going to link G1 with Hero Factory or G1 with G2 or any other Lego brand. In part, Greg isn't a full representative of G1's creators. If Lego, Advance, Christian Faber, and Greg (maybe even Thompson and Swinnerton too) all got together to hash out a crossover, I'd be okay with that since I'd feel all the respective parties were at the table. But sadly I doubt that 'dream team' wouldn't reassemble just to tweak with the canon of a story they have long since put to rest. A brand put to rest twice now. I think its great Greg is game to fill in some gaps left over from G1's story, but I think it would be irresponsible to try and make canon a huge crossover that would forever alter several Lego franchises; without at least Lego the brand's owner and if not Advance and all the other creators of those lines also involved in the process. The only way we'd ever see such a crossover is if Lego themselves demanded it, which I doubt they have an interest in doing right now. 

Not to mention, Greg's work on Hero Factory was smaller compared to G1 (he still wrote the comics right?), and he was only tangentially involved in G2 as a brief advisory role which I really can only imagine was him and Chris Faber swapping a few notes with the G2 team before letting them go on their own way to try and create it (I think Chris Faber might have done a piece of artwork or two for G2 since he is credited in the Art Book, but he described his own role as limited compared to G1). It would feel disrespectful to the G2 team in particularly to have Greg alone cross over their project with G1, since Greg didn't contribute much to their project. 

• Like 3

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

2 hours ago, Xboxtravis said:

I think I can trust Greg in declaring a fan model "canon" because it doesn't contradict anything from the rest of the G1 story team, it just gives a visual representation to a character from G1.

Did I say anything to the contrary?

20 hours ago, Sir Keksalot said:

Wrong. First, we need to decide who to center the contest around. There's a lot of options--Tuyet, Helryx, Artakha, Lariska, and so many more. We just need to agree on who is the best starting point, and why.

I was thinking we could do the contest around any character who did not get an image so there wouldnt be any arguing among fans over which character to do.