Why are the Toa Kaita’s masks have different colors?

What the topic title says here. In the Toa Mata set instruction manuals, you use Tahu’s red Hau for Akamai’s mask while Lewa’s green Miru for Wairuha’s mask. In the Mata Nui Online Animations, Akamai’s Mask is gold while Wairuha’s Mask is silver. Why’s that? Is it because that if the Toa Mata haven’t collect the Golden Kanohi, the Toa Kaita’s Masks are red and green, but they are gold and silver because they collected the Golden Kanohi? Sure looks like it. If so, why Wairuha’s Mask is silver? I get that there are Silver Kanohi, which are weaker than Golden Kanohi, and the Toa Mata might have collected these masks, too, did they? 

As for the Toa Kaita’s Nuva forms, I get that the Golden Kanohi were transformed into Kanohi Nuva, which are not gold or silver and just have the Toa Nuva’s primary colors. Why aren’t there gold or silver Kanohi Nuva (well, the masks can become silver if the Toa Nuva were drained of their elemental powers). If the Toa Kaita Nuva were formed, their masks have the same colors as the Toa Nuva’s primary colors, like their individual Kanohi Nuva. 

So, do the Toa Kaita’s Masks’ colors reflect their component Toa’s masks’ colors, whether they wear normal or special Kanohi? That’s pretty curious.

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

For all four Toa Kaita, they're red or green because that's the color of the masks in those sets.

For MNOG and BIONICLE Heroes, I assume they look metallic just to make them look more impressive. Tahu's Kaita gets gold because he's the leader, and the other one is silver do distinguish it and for visual variety.

Probably worth noting, in BIONICLE Heroes and Power Pack, the Rua is Hau-shaped like the Aki.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

The most practical reason... Gold Hau's and Silver Miru's weren't available in 2001 and wouldn't hit market until 2002 (in blind boxes too)...so of course the combiner used the masks (Red and Green) available in the sets used to make the combiner. The Power Pack's chrome Hau is supposed to be a Rua or Aki or something along those lines, but it was not part of the combiner sets and the Kaita were never shown in media wearing it. Mister N's topic has some nice stuff on what the original intent might have been intended to be, but in the final story the MNOG appearance is the canon one with the Gold and Silver masks respectively. 

Edited by Xboxtravis

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

On 3/7/2020 at 11:44 AM, Xboxtravis said:

The most practical reason... Gold Hau's and Silver Miru's weren't available in 2001 and wouldn't hit market until 2002 (in blind boxes too)...so of course the combiner used the masks (Red and Green) available in the sets used to make the combiner. The Power Pack's chrome Hau is supposed to be a Rua or Aki or something along those lines, but it was not part of the combiner sets and the Kaita were never shown in media wearing it. Mister N's topic has some nice stuff on what the original intent might have been intended to be, but in the final story the MNOG appearance is the canon one with the Gold and Silver masks respectively. 

So the colors of the Toa Kaita Masks don’t reflect the Toa’s Golden Kanohi or Silver Kanohi? Is that what you mean? The Toa Kaita can have these gold and silver colors even if the Toa Mata never had their Golden or Silver Kanohi (Are Silver Kanohi canon, anyway)? 

If that’s true, then that’s weird coloration. No Toa Mata had any gold or silver before they collected the Golden and Silver Kanohi.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I do not believe the Silver Kanohi are canon, but technically I guess the Aki and Rua have the powers Silver Kanohi would if they were canon (three mask powers in one).

That makes me wonder... since the Toa received the Golden Kanohi before becoming Kaita, gaining all six mask powers each, they don't really benefit Kanohi-wise from fusing.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!