Why did Teridax need the Piraka?

At the beginning of the Ignition Saga, the Piraka invade Mangaia and Teridax plants the knowledge of the Kanohi Ignika in their mind. He uses the Skakdi to transport his essence to Voya Nui, but why did he need them past that? 

He clearly needed the toa to use the mask of life to save Mata Nui as per the Mahri story and his interactions with Matoro, but as far as I know he was not expecting the toa inika to arrive/be formed. As far as he knew, the toa nuva would have remained defeated by the Piraka, and Mata Nui would have died—ruining The Plan.

So, why did he help them? Could he have tricked the Piraka into using the mask to save mata nui? Can Skakdi use mask powers? Would he have tried to use the mask himself?

:m: :a: :x:    :n: :u: :i:

As explained in Makuta's Diary from Makuta's Guide to the Universe, he did not believe the Piraka would actually be able to defeat the Toa Nuva and obtain the mask - just that they would slow the Toa down:

Did I truly believe this collection of misfits, robbers, and brutes would succeed in stealing the mask? No. But they would frustrate and delay the Toa, and turn time into my ally. They successfully invaded the island – posing as Toa! – and used zamor spheres filled with a small portion of my substance to take over the minds of the Matoran population.

sigbanner.gif

I don't know if Greg ever commented on this, but I've always been confused as to the nature of the Matorans' enslavement. Everything I've read seems to imply that the Piraka controlled them, but that seems pretty dubious to me. Wouldn't it make more sense if Makuta gained control over them? 

Either Makuta did have control over the Matoran and just cooperated with the Piraka, or the Piraka actually did have control over them. 

If we wanted to get into some Bionicle conspiracy theories (lol) it seems feasible to me that (assuming the Piraka had control) Makuta actually didn't intend for the Piraka to use his antidermis in the zamor spheres, and that he lied in his diary to seem like he had it all together. I haven't read Makuta's diary in a long time, but I do remember in the Dark Hunters book that The Shadowed One basically says straight up that not everything in the book is true. Seems in line with Makuta's character to lie to himself. 

Ultimately, Makuta didn't anticipate the Piraka being able to beat the Toa Nuva. Seems plausible that a great deal of the Piraka's actions were unanticipated.  

Sig..gif.a3346491b24c9bc3827e18c57ef3b7ff.gif.6f7ce54313e70f1931299845e4d29d20.gif

I assume the Piraka's role was to make sure the Toa Nuva, and later Inika, didn't get the Mask too early.

As for the Antidermis, I thought it simply made you "highly susceptible to suggestion" to something like that, so they would have hypothetically taken orders from anyone.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

10 hours ago, MoarBotar said:

If we wanted to get into some Bionicle conspiracy theories (lol) it seems feasible to me that (assuming the Piraka had control) Makuta actually didn't intend for the Piraka to use his antidermis in the zamor spheres, and that he lied in his diary to seem like he had it all together. I haven't read Makuta's diary in a long time, but I do remember in the Dark Hunters book that The Shadowed One basically says straight up that not everything in the book is true. Seems in line with Makuta's character to lie to himself. 

Ultimately, Makuta didn't anticipate the Piraka being able to beat the Toa Nuva. Seems plausible that a great deal of the Piraka's actions were unanticipated.  

I really like the idea of Makuta lying in his diary about how much he really had it together. But, yeah. The rest of The Plan makes total sense except this one moment where it seems like he works against The Plan to kill Mata Nui.

I guess maybe he needed some time to rebuild his energies in order to be strong enough to take over the GSR? Perhaps that's why he delayed the toa? He probably didn't have alot of faith in the toa actually saving Mata Nui, and wanted to be physically nearby in case something went wrong.

:m: :a: :x:    :n: :u: :i:

10 minutes ago, fabSheers said:

I really like the idea of Makuta lying in his diary about how much he really had it together. But, yeah. The rest of The Plan makes total sense except this one moment where it seems like he works against The Plan to kill Mata Nui.

I guess maybe he needed some time to rebuild his energies in order to be strong enough to take over the GSR? Perhaps that's why he delayed the toa? He probably didn't have alot of faith in the toa actually saving Mata Nui, and wanted to be physically nearby in case something went wrong.

If we're just discussing why he needed more time, that's easy - he needed to delay long enough for Mata Nui to actually die. If the Toa got their hands on the mask before Mata Nui was dead, the Plan would fail.

sigbanner.gif

I thought Makuta had to appear to be fighting the Toa at every turn, regardless if it made sense, to conceal The Plan. Because if the Toa figured out the Plan, they could have moved forces in place to stop him. Makuta was betting on the Toa's victory at Voya Nui, but he had to appear like he wasn't. Hence the Piraka and the whole taking over Maxilos thing. 

Also, the Piraka were Dark Hunters who were famously at war with the Brotherhood, so they weren't exactly cool with whatever the Makuta had planned. They were trying to stop him, regardless of whether that made sense either. They were just trying to steal the mask for profit and to take over the universe. Teridax didn't "need" the Piraka. The Piraka inserted themselves into the story on their own - he just used them to further his illusion since they were available.

• Like 2