What if the Lego Movie was based off of your childhood play

Alexander123

I realized as I was looking at my collection and remembering past MOCs I had built that the plot Lego Movie is some kid playing with his Legos. This begs the question if the Lego Movie was based off of story lines you had when you were younger playing with your Legos what would it be. I had a very complex and multi year plot with my Legos. It began in 2013 when Chima was released, after getting some Chima sets I played a Chima vs Ninjago scenario. However that plot soon grew the planet of Ninjago was destroyed during the war and its survivors were confined to a lone half destroyed space station ( later in the story another Ninjago space station was discovered but they were conquered by the Cylons). The Chimans quickly conquered the rest of my Legos, and eventually controlled an empire consisting of six galaxys. But after centuries the Chiman Empire decayed and rebellions and uprisings began to plague it (mostly on Earth). A group of Ninjagoan rebels with the aid of Mandalore toppled Chima and became the new rulers of the Empire. After their first leader died a fierce civil war broke out and and faction of mixed Ninjagoan-Earth people called the Shogun became the rulers and started the Shogun Empire. These were the main protagonists/antagonists of the story. They fought many wars with a variety of factions: the Galactic Empire, the Rebellion, Chima, the Covenant, Cylons, Klingons, Dragons in space, Makuta, Hero Factory, the Great Beings, you name it. They rose and fell ten times before being annihilated at the end of the universe. So what would your childhood Lego movie be? 

• Upvote 1

It would be 2015 Tahu and Kopaka chasing after Speeda Demon while Stringer supplied an epic soundtrack. Rahaga Norik and Turaga Vakama would bet on the race between Tahu and Kopaka. 

Meanwhile, Gali and Naida and Aira would all be having tea around Naida’s boat. And that would be just the beginning, because the fights between Aira and Rascal (from Chima) would be endless. 

I can tell you for sure that it would have starred Achu (the Sun Disk guardian from Adventurers), the Shogun (classic Ninja), the Rock Raiders, the Life on Mars martians and Qui-Gon Jinn as the major characters; there was always at least one, and usually more than one, of them at the centre of my childhood Lego play. These characters would certainly have been based out of the Magic Mountain Time Lab, which was the largest building I owned as a kid. At the time, they were inevitably also backed up by smaller appearances by various other Lego heroes depending on my mood (the time lab got VERY crowded!); but most of those would probably be demoted to smaller roles for a movie retelling, since we'd already have a ton of main characters xD

They were typically involved in resisting attacks from various enemies such as Ogel, Vladek, Cedric the Bull, any of the Darths, Sam Sanister and his henchmen, and any other Lego villains I had on hand. The heroes often needed to collect rare treasures which they intended to protect from the villains, and typically ended up fleeing into space with said treasures in either the Insectoids or Star Wars ships, being pursued by the villains until one side shot each other down again and the battle continued on land. 'Living' Lego skeletons were also commonplace in all this, and it wouldn't be a rare thing to see Slizers getting dragged into the action, too; Rock Slizer, as the first one I got, was particularly prone to this before his fellows arrived, and I think I typically cast him as an ally to the heroes before realising that in Slizer canon he was one of the evil Slizers.

Bionicle characters, though? Not so much; I usually played with them separately from my other Lego themes, so there wasn't much overlap there. I have some disjointed memories - Takua, Pewku and a semi-reformed Ahkmou fleeing from Makuta; some of the Toa Mata undergoing their Nuva transformation before they were supposed to, in spite of Vakama's warnings not to*; various rehashes of canon battles that took them wildly off the rails; Vakama Hordika taming the Muaka and Kane-Ra. I vaguely recall a whole in-depth story played out based around Mutran and Vican in 2008, though the details escape me (and I wasn't really still a child by then anyway!). But these are all just... little bits and pieces, I don't really REMEMBER the bulk of what I played with my Bionicle sets, which is weird to me because I usually have a good memory for that stuff. I guess it all blurred together since I played with them so often.

*(This one mainly because I didn't have all of the Nuva at that point, so I wanted some excuse why Onua and Pohatu were still in Mata form while their teammates weren't!)

In any case, I guess means that, in the hypothetical Lego Movie of my childhood, the Bionicle characters would cameo a lot, but not have a major impact on the plot and instead get their own spinoff movie? Similarly, in later years I started to confine my Lego playing to specific themes generally, more often than not - focusing on just a few sets at any given time, rather than trying to jam EVERYONE INTO ONE STORY - which I guess would be an effective explanation for a whole host of spinoff movies focusing on just one or two themes apiece, each? xD

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

On 3/29/2020 at 10:14 PM, 1womanarmy said:

It would be 2015 Tahu and Kopaka chasing after Speeda Demon while Stringer supplied an epic soundtrack. Rahaga Norik and Turaga Vakama would bet on the race between Tahu and Kopaka. 

Meanwhile, Gali and Naida and Aira would all be having tea around Naida’s boat. And that would be just the beginning, because the fights between Aira and Rascal (from Chima) would be endless. 

...You know, I would actually watch this. Well, up until that last part.

• Like 1

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

5 hours ago, Sir Keksalot said:

...You know, I would actually watch this. Well, up until that last part.

Yeah, you have a point. The fighting between Aira and Rascal would get annoying. Fortunately, I have a convenient solution: enter Azari to blast Rascal into an active volcano. Runtime for that whole sequence would be less than 5 minutes. Rascal leaves for Chima in a huff and does not come back to Elves airspace. Problem solved. 

On 3/30/2020 at 11:02 AM, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

I can tell you for sure that it would have starred Achu (the Sun Disk guardian from Adventurers), the Shogun (classic Ninja), the Rock Raiders, the Life on Mars martians and Qui-Gon Jinn

I could see myself paying to see this movie, Qui Gons one of my favorite Jedi (sadly I dont have lego Qui Gon due to the lack of affordable Ep 1 sets in recent years.)

• Like 1

In a way, the Lego Movie 2 touched upon a lot of my own childhood already; the idea of having to play with my little sister as a kid and share with each other. We called it "Bionicle-Barbie" and its pretty much what it says on the tin. Step aside Ken, Tahu is in town! We got in arguments though about Gali, since my sister assumed all Bionicle's were boys and I kept telling her she should stop calling Gali a dude.

As I got older a lot of my later Lego memories were of getting together with friends and building Star Wars armies on the floor. I had a lot less of my own army sets then, so it usually relied on some of my friends bringing a few of their own minifigures over to bolster the forces of mine or me bringing spare minifigures over to their house visa-versa. Bionicle figures acted like some sort of heavy infantry unit for these army games; like massive robots towering over the minifigures sized battlefield. One of these games I most vividly recall was based on Knights of the Old Republic, where we imagined the reformed Darth Revan, Carth, Bastilla, Canderous, and HK-47 mysteriously time traveled thousands of years into the future, until they arrived at a point of time in the post Return of the Jedi Star Wars world. This continued into my pre-teen years, and I remember a few of the early Modular Buildings standing in for alien planets (yes, imagine the Cafe Corner as a Star Wars cantina now...).

But, that shift to larger and more expensive sets began to really shift my style of interaction with Lego; yes I still set up the Star Wars armies with Bionicle heavy infantry when my cousins came over; but as I grew into a teenager my focus on Lego began to shift more and more to just the collecting side of it. I still like to break out the stuff for play every-now and then, but its less purely imaginative like as a child and more; a self structured role play? Creative mind space? I started playing DnD a few years back and I kind of would describe my own Lego playstyle a bit like that in terms of trying to imagine stories for particularly my Bionicle MOCS; or setting up creative displays in my Lego city. But at the end of the day; my sets really are display pieces now. Like the story I tell is meant to be finished in a static pose with the sets or figures, sitting on a shelf for others to see when they visit my room. Like displaying my G2 MOC's of Ahkmou, Gavla and Kirop figures alongside the Skull Villains; or assembling Disney characters in front of Cinderella's Castle and the Disney Train alongside Marvel and Simpsons characters as a reminder of Disney's ever growing mergers; or my Avenger's all rushing out to fight Thanos and his minions, even small things like a train engineer in one of my city displays with a remote control box suggesting he is manning his train remotely from outside its cab. Its like the creative play is really just leaving the figures at the end of the day, where they make the most sense and tell a story even in their static display. Very rarely does it feel like the freeform games I had as a child. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

14 hours ago, Xboxtravis said:

In a way, the Lego Movie 2 touched upon a lot of my own childhood already; the idea of having to play with my little sister as a kid and share with each other. We called it "Bionicle-Barbie" and its pretty much what it says on the tin. Step aside Ken, Tahu is in town! We got in arguments though about Gali, since my sister assumed all Bionicle's were boys and I kept telling her she should stop calling Gali a dude.

As I got older a lot of my later Lego memories were of getting together with friends and building Star Wars armies on the floor. I had a lot less of my own army sets then, so it usually relied on some of my friends bringing a few of their own minifigures over to bolster the forces of mine or me bringing spare minifigures over to their house visa-versa. Bionicle figures acted like some sort of heavy infantry unit for these army games; like massive robots towering over the minifigures sized battlefield. One of these games I most vividly recall was based on Knights of the Old Republic, where we imagined the reformed Darth Revan, Carth, Bastilla, Canderous, and HK-47 mysteriously time traveled thousands of years into the future, until they arrived at a point of time in the post Return of the Jedi Star Wars world. This continued into my pre-teen years, and I remember a few of the early Modular Buildings standing in for alien planets (yes, imagine the Cafe Corner as a Star Wars cantina now...).

But, that shift to larger and more expensive sets began to really shift my style of interaction with Lego; yes I still set up the Star Wars armies with Bionicle heavy infantry when my cousins came over; but as I grew into a teenager my focus on Lego began to shift more and more to just the collecting side of it. I still like to break out the stuff for play every-now and then, but its less purely imaginative like as a child and more; a self structured role play? Creative mind space? I started playing DnD a few years back and I kind of would describe my own Lego playstyle a bit like that in terms of trying to imagine stories for particularly my Bionicle MOCS; or setting up creative displays in my Lego city. But at the end of the day; my sets really are display pieces now. Like the story I tell is meant to be finished in a static pose with the sets or figures, sitting on a shelf for others to see when they visit my room. Like displaying my G2 MOC's of Ahkmou, Gavla and Kirop figures alongside the Skull Villains; or assembling Disney characters in front of Cinderella's Castle and the Disney Train alongside Marvel and Simpsons characters as a reminder of Disney's ever growing mergers; or my Avenger's all rushing out to fight Thanos and his minions, even small things like a train engineer in one of my city displays with a remote control box suggesting he is manning his train remotely from outside its cab. Its like the creative play is really just leaving the figures at the end of the day, where they make the most sense and tell a story even in their static display. Very rarely does it feel like the freeform games I had as a child. 

This pretty much sums me up. Except I didnt have any younger siblings. Most of my play was large  armies  fighting each other (pretty much the Shogun empire or whoever was in charge conquering my newer sets and themes or putting down rebellions).

• 2 weeks later...

The opening scene would be two Onuas - Metru Onua and Hordika Onua sizing up a ginormous stuffed cat.   

Yep, Bionicle versus stuffed animals, in which my sister and I hashed it out. Even Makuta Teridax and his Rahkshi were called in to head off the invasion of cats, dogs, bears and a particularly obnoxious giraffe with an annoying bell. She failed to listen to the fact that the Bionicle sets had powers that would have shredded them in minutes. In the playroom, size ruled, and Dog was bigger than Terry. 

I particularly liked the Giant Robot Reveal. Justice, sis. 

you can call me boomie :D