Six Kingdoms: Rebirth - Gameplay

Unreliable Narrator

IC: Skorm (Metru-Koro)

The weariness tried to take hold in Skorm's limbs, but he pushed it down. Later. Later he could collapse, his body could break, but he wasn't allowed to yet. Skorm put a hand on Keitara's shoulder. "I don't sense... nothing is flowing into their eyes. I don't think they have eyes. I don't know how much help we are here." He gave her shoulder a touch of reassurance. "I'm not out of the fight yet, but if you are, you can fall back. We might need to beat a retreat"

He didn't want to fight again. He didn't want to fight at all today. Skorm refused to start another fight - but by Mata Nui, if these Skakdi chose for him, he'd show them what they were missing. He stalked forward, stretching his fingers and limbs. The aches and pains were for later, for rest, when he, Keitara, and Irna could finally just end the day.

OOC: @TL01 NUVA @Unreliable Narrator

• Upvote 2

The times, they are a-changing...

IC: Viltia - Toa of the Green - Metru-Nui Refugees

Location - Le-Metru Nuva, on the Northwestern fringes of (7, 13) in the Fau Swamp

Wooden spoons scraped wooden bowls as dinner finished up. Viltia had completely forgotten about eating while Sidra and she had been exploring. But she didn’t have time to grab something for herself. Her optics scanned the tables before her. Torch wasn’t there.

A piece of bright green caught her eye and she went over to Wing. The Matoran was absorbing the last of her meal and smirked when Viltia walked up, “Glad to see you’re back. How goes the rest of the swamp? My guess is- Is something wrong?

Viltia motioned away from everyone still eating and Wing joined her, optics searching Viltia’s for possible information. Viltia took a deep breath, “Okay, so, Sidra and I ran into these… undead… things. Thing? Only a half hour, maybe a full hour walk from here. They, well they were tethered to each other with this weird silver mucus and they were killing all the plants they touched. Potentially all life they touch.

Wing was stunned, but not stunned enough to not respond, “How did you kill them?

Viltia shook her head, “We couldn’t. Even my laser crossbow didn’t make a dent. All the life they kill they seem to absorb and it makes them grow or regenerate or something. I basically shot one into atoms and it was able to create a new body for itself.

Wing’s hands clenched into fists, “Are they headed this way?

Viltia tossed out her hands, “I have no idea, but we have to assume so. We need to get everyone ready to defend and everyone else ready to evacuate. We might just have to take our chances traversing the marshes.

Wing took one of Viltia’s hands despite not being the best at comforting other beings, “At least you were able to get us this warning. I’ll go tell the active guard unit and then gather as many new Kanoka from Beruv as I can. You go tell Torch to evacuate the mine.” And like that, she turned and briskly walked away.

Viltia scanned the eating area once more. Torch wasn’t here. He was probably down below in the forging hut, making all the new protosteel tools. Viltia headed for the elevator.

OOC: @Nato the Traveler

-----------------------------

--------- “BRUH” -Makuta, probably ---------

IC: Sidra - Le-Metru Nuva

Sidra waited in silence while Viltia and Wing spoke, pacing back and forth behind one of the tables, impatience and uncertainty coursing through her veins. 

She couldn't remember the last time she'd felt this stressed out. Her first meeting with The Shadowed One, maybe? 

It was all too much, too fast. Creating a Great Disk, earning the trust of the locals while keeping her past a secret, protecting an entire village from an army of unkillable creatures... she couldn't do it. She hadn't even been able to destroy one of them when she'd fought the creatures in Metru Nui. Othorak's body had been burning, she'd sliced half of his head off, and then he'd... 

"They can teleport!" She snapped around to face Viltia, "The ones I saw in Metru Nui... one of them teleported. It wasn't a mask power, it was something it did."

@Kal the Guardian 

• Like 1

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Teaser

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Location - Le-Metru Nuva, on the Northwestern fringes of (7, 13) in the Fau Swamp

With - Sidra

Viltia’s jaw dropped at Sidra’s remarks. Wing, who hadn’t gotten too far away, threw up her hands, “Of course they do!” before she continued on her way to inform the guard.

Shaking her head as she tried to wrap her mind around the information, Viltia responded, “Then what can we hope to do? They might always be able to catch up to us. Wha- How many beings can you take with you with your Kanohi?

"Only two," she replied, "Not enough for anything useful." 

She resumed her pacing, wracking her brains for any other details that could be of use. She wasn't sure how much of her past experience was really applicable to this situation. Othorak had seemed different to the other undead she'd seen in Ta-Metru, and they were both different to the interconnected entity she and Viltia had witnessed today. 

"They feed on life... could we cut them off from their food source somehow?" She turned back to Viltia.

@Kal the Guardian

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

With - Sidra

Viltia shifted uncomfortably, head feeling a bit woozy. The answer was yes, she could totally drain the life of all plants for a long distance and then restore it later. But the very prospect of it went again all she had spent her life doing. Plants were to be nourished and cared for, not snuffed out for momentary convenience. For a second it felt like being forced to kill a close friend.

But ultimately, she could bring them back to life. She had that power now. She controlled the Green, not just the living Green, but the dead as well. And the plants had no souls, no spirits. They were alive in a vastly different way than all the villagers here were. And her friends here were the obvious priority.

Regaining her composure, she answered Sidra’s question, “Yes we could, or at least I could. I can kill all the plants and trees and mushrooms around us. I can always bring them back later. It’s just the Rahi in the area that would still be a problem.

"That's not quite what I was thinking," she replied, doubt still plaguing her as she weighed up her idea in her head, "The swamp, the forest, it's all built up on generations of trees and mangroves, right? So if you pulled back all of the roots supporting the ground in, I dunno, a more marshy area, it'd become kind of like a sinkhole, wouldn't it?" 

@Kal the Guardian

With - Sidra

Viltia blew out a long breath and visibly relaxed. That was a much better idea. Especially because she didn’t have to kill any plants. This swamp was ancient and the trees grew tall and deep. There was a massive network under the soil, muck, and grime that made up the swamp floor.

Definitely. The ground here in the swamp is crisscrossed with many roots, basically everywhere.” She scratched at the side of her mask in thought, “I have a couple of spots like that close to the village in mind, but they might not be big enough for all of them to be trapped at once, which might be a problem. Can your..” Viltia couldn’t remember the name of the Nektann drones in the moment, “...drones go search out locations while we prepare here?

"Sure. I just... I'm not sure what we do after that," she muttered, "Even if we trap them... then what? They'll just climb back out. We can't drown them, they'll dig their way out eventually if we try to bury them, and we wouldn't be able to burn them, because everything would be muddy and wet." 

@Kal the Guardian

IC: Reliable Narrator | Le-Metru Nuva

As they left the interior of the hall and went out into the village proper, both warriors couldn’t help but notice the feeling of calm before the storm. Nothing seemed too out of place. Even the zyglak who did his work muttering curses under his breath still went about his day. He currently pushed a cart laden with raw ore towards the forge for future purification. Two matoran trailed behind trying to come up with excuses for why they deserved their job back.

Viltia’s kahu chortled from its roost while watching Viltia consider a defensive plan. As tensions flared between Viltia and Sidra over how to safely construct a trap for the undead monster they faced in the swamps, Torch appeared.

“Hey, heard you were looking for me. Could have just come over instead of making me walk. Whatever. I’m here now, what did you want?” Torch carried a strong fire in him, but Viltia knew he cared deeply about the safety of the village.

ooc: thanks @Kal the Guardian for being down to let me run some of these world characters in your village. :)Tagging @Nato the Traveler as well.

IC: The Mesi Raiding Party | Metru-Koro

Two mesi stopped as Skorm began to approach. Their heads turned quickly to the side, picking up the sounds of his footfalls in the war torn mud of the village. One carried a large bucket of clam shells. She stepped forward and tossed the shells high into the air, letting them rain onto the ground between Skorm and her. She dropped the bucket and began unwinding the rope wrapped around her waist. 

Skorm could see the black and purpled armored skakdi stood a little taller than him even while hunched. Lichen made a glowing pattern across her back and face, and three of her fingers were missing on one hand. Scars from past encounters with ferocious rahi covered her legs. From the still burning fires left over from the bombing, Skorm caught the glinting of sharpened metal barbs along the length of the unwrapped rope as she tied it into a lasso and began swinging it above her head.

Her raiding partner sported scavenged armor in a rainbow of colors. The pieces were all strapped together to create a hodgepodge of additional protection around the critical joints and torso. Skorm wouldn’t have been the first to consider if this skakdi could be rolled down a hill. He held a bulky trident with a built in net launcher. 

Both skakdi began to approach with predatory excitement in their steps. They listened for the sounds of breaking clam shells.

Toa Nale found herself elsewhere in the village coming head to head with the bulk of the mesi raiding party. It took four mesi to keep the manas crab restrained on its sled, and the rahi screamed in frustration at its captivity. Two of them kept prodding its shells with heated irons, driving it into a further rage. Then they snapped away its chains and ran, letting the manas crab free to destroy anything close by. The manas rolled towards Nale with claws snapping, intent on carving her into many smaller and more chewable pieces...

ooc: @Tarn, @Keeper of Kraata, @Conway, @TL01 NUVA, etc.

Edited by Unreliable Narrator
  • Like 3

Happy chat.

IC: Skorm (Metru-Koro)

The Twi-Toa narrowed his eyes as the Mesi approached. He backpedaled to keep distance, stepping on one of the brittle shells. As it cracked beneath his foot, he made the Skadki's game. And not a moment too soon; the barbed rope whipped around. Skorm dove out of the way, but dissipated into shadow before he hit the ground.

These Skakdi hunted by sound, Skorm thought. It meant that he was right in his initial observation in their lack of eyes; his usual techniques wouldn't work. But what he could do, if he couldn't use his strengths was play with theirs.

Skorm materialized from the darkness of the night behind the two Mesi. "Right here, uglies!" As he landed, he made sure to land on several of the shells, and his body tensed to react.

OOC: @Unreliable Narrator

• Like 1

The times, they are a-changing...

IC: Ulkarr (Metru-Koro, The Taku, Exterior)

Ulkarr descended from the Taku’s ramp to find everything in utter chaos. And chaos must be eradicated. The quicker this was dealt with, the quicker he’d be back in Po-Koro.

He began power walking - running was beneath him - to the center of this annoyance.

@Unreliable Narrator

IC: Ostrox and Klawne (Metru-Koro, The Razorfish, Exterior)

Ostrox’s disgust at what he saw as Iradra feigning concern for Zaliyah turned to confusion, then to curiosity.

"What manner of creatures be those?" He wondered aloud, gesturing to the mutant horde down the streets, far in the distance.

The Turaga’s eyesight had been somewhat stunted from untold eons - she couldn’t remember how long eons were supposed to be, but she felt it was eons - hiding in a dark cave. But even from this distance, Klawne recognized these creatures. She took an involuntary step backwards, nearly walking into Jephro.

"Mesi."

@Onaku@Nato the Traveler@Smudge8

IC: NU-8020S, Reckless, Lawful, Obedient, Impressionable, Buggy and Wayward (Po-Koro, Vahki Transport)

Matoran continued to be shepherded aboard the Transport as the situation deteriorated. These mechanical walkers were built to ferry their kind across the urban expanse of Metru Nui, and as such there was plenty of room for entities of their stature.

Reckless tried to get as many aboard as quickly as he could, as did Lawful, but took greater care in doing so. Obedient stood by at the controls of the vehicle, waiting for the order to depart. Impressionable was briefly distracted by Kanohi's displays of gadgetry and acrobatics, before getting back to work. Buggy tried to console those already inside as best he could. And Wayward shadowed NU-8020S as she directed all this, analyzing her mistakes - unnecessary pauses as her faulty processor desperately tried to grasp the situation, costing them precious nanoseconds -  and calculating how he would perform in her place. The answer was invariably, of course, better.

@Unreliable Narrator@Harvali@pokemonlover360@Snelly@Tarn@Onaku

IC: Navu (Metru-Koro, Navu’s Hut)

The racket and bedlam outside at first, had simply been annoying, but as it gradually became clear that something was terribly wrong, it grew from alarming to terrifying.

Instinctively, Navu hid under her bed. Surely, Triage had not forgotten about her… right?

IC: Gnabol (Metru-Koro, Village Infirmary)

Awakening from his bizarre desert-induced dreams was both a relief and a frustration, as even restless sleep was sleep regardless.

"Seriously, what is today?"

After briefly trying to console the Skaklets, disrupted from their far more blissful slumbers, Gnabol poked his head outside, and did not like what he saw.

He had never used his newly-acquired powers offensively before. Perfect time to learn.

@Unreliable Narrator

• Like 2

IC: Reliable Narrator |  Fau Swamp

Even as Uraborask thought the trip would be full of challenges something green came screaming out of the trees. Without time to react Uraborask watched a skakdi slam into the hood of his car. By the time the stranger hit the hood he was already very dead. There was a moment of silence as the corpse lay on the hood, face up and mouth agape in fright. A silvery web of mucous connected from the corpse’s chest up into the canopy.

What would Uraborask do?

ooc: @Sparticus147

IC: Reliable Narrator | Air Suva

“Your guess is as good as mine,” Vhisola admitted. The idea of Dume being anything other than her turaga didn’t make sense. Sure, she knew turaga once did great deeds as toa, but the image of the cane using elder couldn’t be altered. Turaga Dume needed to be as he always had for her worldview to remain functional. Too much changed in too short a time for her to start questioning everything!

“Vhisola is fine. I’m sorry I said my name was Nixie. She’s actually the astronomer. I’m just a blogger who likes astrology. I mean I do have a degree in protodermis purification, but that’s just school. We’re more than just our work, right?” She had a feeling that was the wrong question for the two scholars in front of her. To avoid embarrassment she kept talking;

“I don’t get the maker thing. Sala you lived in Metru-Nui, so there’s no way Sorilax made you. Whatever is talking in our heads is probably as borked as a firespitter working in the Great Furnace. And Mata-Nui made us, right? We’re his chosen, the only ones who can change to fulfill our destinies, and the only ones who can truly make the world better! I don’t think you were made by a god of shadow, no offense Sorilax. That just doesn’t add up.”

OOC: @Kal the Guardian, @Sparticus147

IC: Reliable Narrator | Air Ruins 

Whisper’s true form submerged and found the pool of water to be full of small critters. Fish swam, bugs scuttled, and many weeds grew beneath the water’s surface. While she found nothing of particular note, she did see a dead skakdi at the bottom, tied and weighed down with rocks. Weirdly, the bottom of the pool looked out a starscape instead of into the bog of the Fau Swamp. Whisper got the sense she wasn’t on Zakaz, not really.

OOC: @Sparticus147, @Eyru, @Nato the Traveler, @Burnmad

IC: Mesi Raiders | Metru-Koro

Skorm’s words caught the attention of the two mesi, and they whirled around at the crunching of the shells. One reached to the other, and as their hands touched the earth began to churn beneath Skorm’s feet. The thick mud became a dangerous sinkhole grasping at Skorm’s armored legs in an attempt to trap and pull him under…

Ulkarr’s power walk from the Taku moved him as quickly as any running matoran. He noticed most matoran were running the other direction: away from the conflict, not towards it. It gave a very clear idea of how powerful an enemy he would be facing. Gnabol found himself watching the mesi releasing the manas upon his new acquaintance Nale. He saw the four retreating from the manas pulling the sled back and up into a makeshift wall. Two of them carried lassos and bolas, the other two began reaching for rocks and making a pile. The final eight who led the sled up from the tunnels began to fracture and head off in pairs to see what they could scavenge. 

Ostrox and Klawne could see the two pairs of mesi searching and scavenging through the bombed out town towards where they were standing. One of the mesi held up a matoran’s mask to the sky with triumphant glee before attaching it to a loop with several others. Another piled corpses over one shoulder. Strange vines growing from the mesi’s chest tied themselves around the corpses and began to slowly feed -- a macabre symbiosis. The other pair of skaki in Ostrox and Klawne’s view shuffled about in the ruins, leaving a trail of broken ceramics and half-eaten books.

So where did the other mesi go?

ooc: @Keeper of Kraata, @Toru Nui, @Tarn, @Conway, @BULiK, @TL01 NUVA, @@Nato the Traveler, @Onaku

added MK
  • Like 3

Happy chat.

IC: Morangad - Ruins of Air

The Tiokaha turned from the waist to make eye contact with the new entries to the room. A courtesy he still recalled from the long-past days of regular interaction with other sentient beings.

"There was a sound, moments ago. It sounded as if a great gong had been struck, and its interior was this room."

He glanced back to the writing. "I recognize it as your people's tongue, Apex, but I do not understand it. Is this not what you came here seeking, then?"

OOC: @Sparticus147 @Eyru

IC: Ollem - Carved Mask of Water Breathing

Ollem was struck with a sense of reverent awe; the kind of feeling one experiences when standing in an empty cathedral. He sensed the presence of something. Whether that was a higher power, or merely the combined efforts and hopes of hundreds of other beings that infused the construction of the place, he did not know.

He approached a beautiful, dark-colored door of volcanic glass, and read the words etched upon its surface. "A riddle?" He muttered. The wording was vague like one, and Mahrika's suggestions seemed to link it strongly with the culture of her people. And if the Suva of Stone was any indication, the people of this land had quite liked puzzles.

Turning away from the door, he took two tentative steps towards the basin, gazing into its interior. Studying it. If the poem on the door was indeed a riddle, then this basin must have been part of its answer.

OOC: @Harvali @Unreliable Narrator

• Like 3

IC: Reliable Narrator | Ruins of Water

A small aquatic lizard stared back at Ollem from the bottom of the basin. It blinked, and a small bubble of air rushed to the surface and disrupted the water. The little lizard quickly clambered out, leaving ripples across the basin's surface, and made its way into a dark and undisturbed corner of the cavern behind the falls. 

OOC: @Burnmad, @Harvali

Happy chat.

With - Sidra, NPC Torch

Viltia had never before had to figure out how to kill something. Everything and everyone she’d killed up to this point had been out of desperation and using whatever means necessary. Talking with Sidra about how to kill things was almost surreal. She was glad most everyone had already cleaned up the tables and left the platform. The grim light from the sun behind the giant robot head barely lit the sky, let alone making it through the canopy of the trees the village resided in. It was that point in the day where things went quiet while the diurnal Rahi found places to rest for the night and the nocturnal Rahi had yet to awake.

Looking at the torch burning nearby as Sidra talked of burning those tethered together things, Viltia realized something, “Well, if they don’t have anything to consume, my laser crossbow was damaging them. I might be able to just shoot them into nothingness. Because, well, I’m no scientist, but my shots don’t even leave behind residue. I think this laser crossbow atomizes things, or something like it. It’s actually kind of disconcerting when I think about it too much.

Torched walked over, his body marked by the work he had been doing at the forge all day, “Hey, heard you were looking for me. Could have just come over instead of making me walk. Whatever. I’m here now, what did you want?

Torch!” Viltia said a little too loudly. She quieted herself down, “I was on my way down to you. Something terrible has happened. Sidra and I ran into these, like, undead-ish things that were all connected by this weird silver mucus. Close by, too! They were absorbing everything that lived and using it to regenerate and grow. We had to run. We both fear they might be coming this way.” Viltia motioned to Sidra to show that they both shared the concerns.

Wing’s already informing the guards. You need to tell the other village elders and get everyone out of the mines and off the swamp floor up into the village.” Viltia paused, “And we might have to evacuate.

OOC: @Nato the Traveler @Unreliable Narrator

• Like 1

IC: Torch | Le-Metru Nuva

“Woah woah woah slow down that’s a lot of ifs,” Torch said. “I mean yes of course we can evacuate, but it’s not going to be easy doing that without a place to go. Maybe you two could try and find somewhere safe enough for all of us if things come to that while I break the news. I’m starting to wonder why we decided to try and live in this swamp. Our good natural defense keeps trying to eat us alive. I’m starting to think maybe building a city on the edge of the volcano to the North might have been safer.”

He leaned on one of the railings for the platform. Torch seemed genuinely concerned as his hands clasped together and he stared out over the village trying to take in everything Viltia said in the slowly dimming evening light. His next words were abrupt.

“Something doesn’t make sense. I was just talking with Wing after the meeting with the other village leaders. I just left her she’s-” Torch paused with growing concern showing in his body language. He pushed himself from the rail and looked at Viltia and Sidra suspiciously. “How long ago did you say you saw Wing?”

OOC: @Kal the Guardian, @Nato the Traveler

Happy chat.

3 hours ago, Toru Nui said:

IC: Ostrox and Klawne (Metru-Koro, The Razorfish, Exterior)

Ostrox’s disgust at what he saw as Iradra feigning concern for Zaliyah turned to confusion, then to curiosity.

"What manner of creatures be those?" He wondered aloud, gesturing to the mutant horde down the streets, far in the distance.

IC: Zaliyah - Metru-Koro

"I'm guessing those are the locals," she wearily rose to her feet, readying her weapons to defend herself if necessary. 

@Toru Nui

34 minutes ago, Unreliable Narrator said:

IC: Reliable Narrator | Air Ruins 

While she found nothing of particular note, she did see a dead skakdi at the bottom, tied and weighed down with rocks. Weirdly, the bottom of the pool looked out a starscape instead of into the bog of the Fau Swamp. Whisper got the sense she wasn’t on Zakaz, not really.

IC: Whisper - Grand Temple Ruins 

Another dead end... literally, at least for this unfortunate skakdi.

She floundered through the murky water to move closer to the corpse, the eerie starscape beyond it making it seem almost as if it was flying, instead of being pinned to the bottom of a pool. The idea that a Toa had somehow made all of this boggled her mind, given the meagre constructs she'd seen in Taja's camp.

Upon reaching the corpse, she twined one of her tails around its arm to anchor herself, and began to inspect the body, trying to gauge how long it had been down there for, and if the skakdi had anything on its person that might explain why it had come here and been killed.

@Unreliable Narrator

Just now, Kal the Guardian said:

Well, if they don’t have anything to consume, my laser crossbow was damaging them. I might be able to just shoot them into nothingness. Because, well, I’m no scientist, but my shots don’t even leave behind residue. I think this laser crossbow atomizes things, or something like it. It’s actually kind of disconcerting when I think about it too much.

Disconcerting?! Fists clenched at her sides, it took no small amount of effort for Sidra not to snap at Viltia. In everything the two of them had been through these past few days, Sidra had managed to all but forget that her companion was still a Toa, not just in species, but in nature as well. A Toa who wanted to preserve life, who had qualms about killing, who found it unsettling that a weapon designed for injuring others was effective in its purpose. 

"I'm not sure bringing everyone up into the village is such a good idea," she cut in, "If those things get close to the village before we see them, there'll be no time to evacuate afterwards. We'll all be trapped up here, and they'll just kill the trees and bring us all crashing down." 

She frowned at Torch's question, "We just spoke to her a few minutes ago, on our way to you."

@Kal the Guardian

• Like 3

IC: Sorilax - Aspect of Shadow and Silence - Aspects of Makuta

Location - Air Suva

With - Sala, Nixie

Sorilax finished placing down everything that had occurred, laying his quill pen on the Shadow table. The more pieces he found, the more he remembered. The more he remembered, the more questions seemed to plague the past. There were so many unknowns, too many variables.

No offense taken. I don’t know what you mean by god of shadow, but I have no possible way to confirm how I was created. I believe that is a mystery that all of us share.

A mystery I intend to unravel, he thought. But now was the time to enquire about the items in the Suva, not to contemplate life. Somehow the Suva’s systems had told him that an almost equivalent exchange needed to occur, so he couldn’t just pull out items of non-equal value. That meant he couldn’t retrieve the Kanohi or the hatchet. But the Vuata Maca crystal, that wasn’t too large. Maybe he could exchange one of his larger scrolls?

Sorilax pulled out a large empty scroll and mentally tried to make the exchange.

It didn’t work.

He put the scroll back in its place in his backpack. Perhaps he needed to find a dead or damaged Vuata Maca crystal and exchange it? Although it didn’t matter much. The closest Vuata Maca tree was almost dead and… close to Le-Metru Nuva, actually. Since he had discovered it, Sorilax had pondered over what it had once been before being corrupted by the swamp. But there were much more pressing things to do than study a tree that had been slowly dying over millennia.

OOC: @Sparticus147 @Unreliable Narrator

Edited by Kal the Guardian
Italicized his thoughts.
  • Like 1

IC: Reliable Narrator | Ruins of Air

Whisper found the corpse older than first expected, but the fish had yet to pick it clean. Anything of value in the skakdi’s prior life got stripped way, no doubt by a backstabbing comrade, which left Whisper with little to find besides a spork, a ball of string, and a metallic implant on the left arm that looked like some sort of data device. It came free with barely any force.

“Well look who’s thinking outside the box. What’ll you do next, spin me right around?” While it made sense, the Administrator’s voice echoing beside her could only be disconcerting. 

IC: Torch | Le-Metru Nuva

“Kill the trees? Kill the trees! That’s great, that’s just -- no, this is fine -- that’s not great that’s terrible and why didn’t you mention they eat plants too? I agree, putting everyone together isn’t great but it’s better to have everyone together safe somewhere while evacuating than trying to keep track of everyone wandering off in random directions. Maybe we could split the evacuation into groups? If you find a few different places that look safe we could do that. You’ve proven yourself as a capable scout in the past few days Sidra, so I trust your judgement.”

Torch went to put his hand on the mercenary’s shoulder in a comforting gesture then thought better of it and let his hand go limp to his side. “Okay, so you said you just talked with Wing and she left for the guard post. But the guard post is that way,” he gestured past Sidra and Viltia. “I just came from where you saw me and I have the village leaders to back me up that Wing was at the meeting. Either Wing got magic teleport powers or there’s something going on. And I don't like something going on when there's already something going on."

OOC: @Nato the Traveler, @Kal the Guardian

• Like 1

Happy chat.

IC: Whisper - Grand Temple Ruins

The sound of the Administrator's voice, so loud and clear beside her despite the fact she was underwater, startled Whisper. She flailed her tails, lashing out at the murk around her, though her rational mind knew the voice was surely just as disembodied as ever. 

She swallowed the data device - she didn't exactly have pockets to carry it - and began the swim back to the surface, pondering the Administrator's words. Despite its obvious disdain for its visitors, the entity had still been offering clues, of a sort. The repeated comments about thinking outside the box were clearly grounded in something, was the remark about spinning a clue as well? She found the pool's edge and pulled herself out, shaking muck and mud from her shell. 

Her eyes settled on the other dead skakdi in the room, and she drifted over to it, curious to see if it had a similar data device. More than likely, the curious trinkets had nothing to do with the actual solution to this place, but they might still be of use to someone.

@Unreliable Narrator

• Like 1

With - Sidra, NPC Torch

Viltia felt flustered and confused. What did Torch mean he had just seen Wing? Wha- how? What was going on?

Wing was just here. We got back and walked here, then I saw her finish eating and talked with her. I.. we.. it seemed like Wing.

Viltia looked at Torch’s optics, worry filling her own as it felt like every bad thing was converging on one point, “You have vastly more experience than me. What do I need to do?”

OOC: @Nato the Traveler @Unreliable Narrator

Sidra's frown deepened. "I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that Wing doesn't have a hitherto-unmentioned sibling?" 

This didn't make any sense. Was this somehow related to the encounter with the undead in the forest, or was there genuinely something else going on?

• Like 1

IC: Torch | Metru-Koro

Torch searched for the right words to sum up his week. Eventually he found what he needed; “I’m just tired. It’s probably nothing. I probably just wasn’t paying attention to how much time passed. With the missing matoran and the blood sucking rahi and now this,” he shook his head, “it’s just a lot to handle all at once. It’s fine. I’ll go start talking to the village leaders and see what we can do.”

Torch turned and began walking back the way he came from.

ooc: @Kal the Guardian, @Nato the Traveler

Unfortunately, there was nothing of note on the corpse propped on the doorframe. They'd been picked clean long ago.

ooc: @Nato the Traveler, sorry pretty sure someone already looted them.

Happy chat.

IC: Whisper - Ruins of Air

Oh well... she left the corpse to its necrosis and went back to pondering the Administrator's words. Spin me right around... right around... the right room? 

It was as good a starting point as any. Leaving the central chamber behind, she slithered into the room to the right of the main entrance. 

@Unreliable Narrator 

On 9/28/2020 at 9:19 PM, Tarn said:

IC: Nale Vella - Metru-Koro

She immediately tensed up upon the Matoran grabbing hold of her. Nale's optics looked towards the hole behind the shaken villager, and now she certainly could hear it--the haunting drumming. Something approaching. What was she going to do? Had something been living beneath the land Metru-Koro was built upon this entire time?

Nale was the first person to respond. She couldn't investigate this alone, all she imagined was her venturing into the caves and not returning. The Taku...she could contact the ship from here, thanks to Knichou, and call in backup. "Find somewhere safe," she said, pulling away from the frightened Ta-Matoran. "I'll...I'll deal with this." It was like he had said--she was a Toa. And in the past, she had certainly thrown herself at danger to help others. But this was something different.

The Fa-Toa put her hand over her audio receptor and attempted to tap into the Taku's signal as she walked towards the blast hole.

"--lo? Hello? Toa Nale to Taku. Anyone got their ears on? Turns out our day is far from over. Something going on down here."

IC: Triage - The Taku (Bridge)

"What's that about?" he asked Berys as Ulkarr departed.

IC: Taku Crew, The Taku, Metru-Koro Plaza

Berys was as surprised as Triage at Nale's disturbing message. This can't be happening again...

The Le-Matoran shrugged at Triage's question, then responded to Nale over the radio.

"What something's going on down where? Over."

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

With - Sidra

Viltia watched as Torch strode off into the dark, his form occasionally lit by a torch or one of the few lightstones they had been able to find while mining. Her mind had been doing way too much thinking in the past half hour. But one thing she knew, Torch, Wing, and Sala all knew each other very well. Sala hadn’t been here much while she had been here, but with how often his name was brought up, the other two obviously knew him. But for Torch to potentially mistake Wing, no amount of sleep deprivation could explain that in her eyes.

She scratched at her mask again and turned to Sidra, voice full of concern, “I doubt Torch was wrong. His instincts are good. And he knows Wing well, I doubt he would mistake her for someone else.

That meeting of the leaders must have happened while everyone else was having dinner, and we found Wing here eating. Something is definitely going on.

Viltia was feeling more and more overwhelmed. The burning in her ankles only further distracted her. Too much was happening all at once. Everywhere she turned there seemed to be another problem. Torch hadn’t offered her any advice, so she looked Sidra in the optics, “I… what should I do?

Karz... Sidra didn't know how to answer Viltia. She wasn't even sure what she herself should do. Assume the undead were indeed were their way and search for an ambush site like Viltia had suggested? Write off the village as being doomed and scout out somewhere to evacuate the villagers to like Torch had recommended? Hope the undead didn't know about the village and prioritise getting to the bottom of whatever was going on with Wing first? 

She couldn't do it all herself. 

"Okay... uh, you should go check in with the healer to get your leg seen to... then try to figure out what the karz is going on with Wing?" She finally said, "Maybe Torch is just tired, but I'd feel better knowing for sure. And I'll... go scout some stuff, I guess." 

@Kal the Guardian

With - Sidra

Okay,” Viltia said, a hasty plan forming in her head, “Okay. I got this.” She started to sprint away but awkwardly caught herself and stopped. Turning back to Sidra, she added with a little emotion, “Be careful, my friend.” And then she was off.

She checked the healer’s sleeping hut first, but that was a no go. As she lightly sprinted for the communal hut, she took note of the Electric Bugs starting to add their glow to the swamp below and throughout the canopy, causing certain mushrooms and fungi to seem to glow. This swamp had it’s rare moments of beauty, and not for the first time she was almost glad it was too dangerous to leave.

The communal hut still had that fresh cut wood smell, which thankfully overpowered the smell from the ten beings that still didn’t have a hut yet. Although she still slept here too and there wasn’t really a good way to clean up yet, so she was sure she contributed in the smell category.

The healer was here, thankfully. One Rhotuka blast later and Viltia was back on her way to her real objective. She didn’t have time to wait and see if it worked and if she was healed. She had to find Wing. First she was going to check the guard hut, then the individual outposts. She knew most of them from being a part time guard herself. If that failed, then maybe just go from hut to hut. There were only so many safe places Wing could be.

OOC: @Nato the Traveler @Unreliable Narrator So what's the diagnosis, doc? Is Viltia in pain for life, or will there be healing?

• Upvote 1

IC: Grime | Ash Barrens

The early rosy colors of dawn filled the sky before Grime left his rock. His fingers were sore from playing for hours as quietly as he could muster. It took the night, but Grime made up his mind. He rose, stretched, and shuffled off to his destination with the echoing jangle of his bonds.

The sounds of rattling chains approached Drukarus in the cold dawn light. Perhaps the elder warrior slept through it, or maybe he couldn’t really sleep surrounded by murderous strangers. 

“You have it don’t you,” Grime said bluntly. 

@Sparticus147

IC: Reliable Narrator | Le-Metru Nuva

Viltia found the pain subsided to the point where she could forget about it, but it didn’t go away completely. It seemed she’d been marked by something more than just an ordinary wound. Almost like a brand, the finger marks on her ankle faded but didn’t disappear. When the time provided for it, a cure would need to be found. Right now Viltia had other more important tasks.

Viltia found Wing in the guard hut barking orders. The matoran of air waved her arms in a passionate display of determination. If arms were wings, she’d fly.

“Make sure the miners get back safely! If they don’t you’ll have more to worry about than what’s coming. And don’t forget to check the reservoirs. We’ll need plenty of clean water in case we need to stay put for a while. I’ll need -- oh, Viltia, I didn’t see you there. You need something?”

A vortixx approached Sidra after Viltia left. He held a long rifle in his hands and a few yellow lightstones on a bandolier. "I heard what Torch said. The scouting and the evacuating. Figured you could use these more than me right now. It's a lightstone rifle. I figure you've seen one before judging by your expression. Anyways, I want it back so don't die okay?" 

ooc: @Nato the Traveler, @Kal the Guardian

• Like 2

Happy chat.

"Oh yeah, I know how these work," she took the rifle, turning it over in her hands, "Thanks... uh, sorry, what was your name?" 

@Unreliable Narrator

• Upvote 1

Whisper entered the room down the right hallway and found it as Apex left it. The ground looked covered by dirt and leaves, and walls shower various different things as Apex had seen earlier. With a little snooping, Whisper could find the beginnings of a taboo rituals inscribed on the floor.

IC: Spark | Le-Metru Nuva

"Call me Spark," the vortixx replied with a soft laugh. "I made the electric lights for the miners. You're Sidra, right? I heard you became one of us more recently. Been meaning to introduce myself, it's just been so busy you know? Anyways, stay safe."

Spark let go of the lightstone rifle and leaned closer. In a whisper, Spark said; "and keep your eye on Torch. He's been acting strange today. I dunno if he just woke up on the wrong side of the bed or if something's going on and he's not telling the village, but he and the other village leaders have been talking most of today since you two left. It's suspicious. I'm only saying this cause we gotta stick together, you know? Not everyone gets "chosen people" powers."

Ooc: @Nato the Traveler

• Like 1

Happy chat.

IC: Uraborask & Skrillix (The Fau Swamp)

Driving with care and caution through the thick trees of the Fau Swamp, his attention being focused on a clear path as well as for any hidden threats, was broken when the green Skak came bursting from the trees with a horrid, painful scream. Instinctually hitting the brakes, a sharp "Shrahk" came out of the Uraborask's mouth, startling the sleeping Skrillix as the thunk of a body hit the hood of the rig.

For a few seconds, Uraborask looked at the corpse, attempting to discern what had killed it, but even with his deductive gaze, he was left genuinely clueless. And when left with a lack of context, to gather evidence was the best method to expand ones understanding of a situation. And so, being careful and staying within his rig, Uraborask took his gaze and hardened it towards where the Skakdi had came from, with a free hand moving towards the controls for the rear mounted Cordak blaster. Whatever killed this Skakdi, would learn soon that it better had stayed hidden.

IC: Drukarus (Irnakk's Tooth)

As Drukarus slept, he, against his own better judgement, slept like he was; an old Skak who had seen many days and nights, who had passed through dozens, hundreds, and thousands of years, and old Skak who simply desired sleep and peace. But this venerable state of rest still was not deep enough yet to impair the keen hearing of the old Skak warchief, and although the unknown figure was able to get closer than Drukarus would have wanted, the Skakdi still awoke to Grimes' call.

“You have it don’t you.”

The heavy lids of his optic rising, Drukarus dimly looked towards the meek Matoran. If this was a situation of life or death, then the raw adrenaline of the situation would have brought Drukarus already to his feet with maul in hand. But the lack of any obvious threat, and most certainly not any sort of concern from the Matoran before him, left Drukarus with a morning grogginess that came with his elevated age. And so, with his mind running slower than the norm for him, Drukarus dimly mumbled out.

"It?...What do you mean...It?"

• Like 1

"You have the divining sphere," Grime replied. He stepped closer to Drukarus. "One of the Warskaks who went up the mountain said he saw you pick it up. Has she spoken yet? She's already spoken to you hasn't she." 

Grime stepped closer towards Drukarus.

IC: Reliable Narrator | Fau Swamp

Uraborask's acute perception honed in on the boughs above his war rig. The rear mounted munitions hummed to life, primed and ready for whatever threat made itself visible. Nothing came from above. 

A hand slammed against the glass of the war rig's front window. The very dead skakdi who fell onto the hood was moving! A silver webbing crawled across the corpse's form, tugging on it and making it convulse and shift towards the living beings inside. 

OOC: @Sparticus147

• Like 2

Happy chat.

With - NPC Wing

Viltia quickly sidestepped out of the way of the door as guards hurriedly came and went, obviously stirred up by Wing’s commands. She was glad to see her friend in the place she should be, but doubt filled her mind now. Should she tell Wing what was going on? Was that the safest thing for all the villagers? Was the Matoran before her even really Wing? It sure sounded like it was. It even had Wing’s mannerisms.

Her mind was distracted by a branch snapping outside the village. Mushrooms were flattened as a small Rahi fell on them. Suddenly she realized she had been observing the Green since the attack from the undead. She slowly realized she had effectively expanded the natural passive observation powers that most Toa employed. Viltia guessed that it made sense, she already felt one with the Green before becoming a Toa and observation had been the easiest skill to work on. But still, it felt like an amazing breakthrough. Her new passive vision was pretty far compared to before, but certainly much smaller than when she had time to focus on observation of her element.

Wing finally noticed her, “-- oh, Viltia, I didn’t see you there. You need something?

Viltia was brought back to the delicate and potentially deadly matter at hand. She walked over, placing a hand on Wing’s shoulder, “I told Torch. He’s taking care of the mine and talking to the leaders. He said we might have to evacuate, which, well you know full well how dangerous that would be and why we haven’t left yet.

Viltia grew a small, hardy desert flower inside a groove of Wing’s back facing shoulder armor. It was out of sight of most onlookers who might look at Wing and potentially alert her to the flower’s presence, especially in the dark of night. There were no other plants of that biome growing here and to Viltia it stood out to her observation power like the fluorescent mushrooms she so often saw while traveling the Fau Swamp. It was a perfect beacon to keep tabs on her friend. “I’m making sure the village itself stays safe in case they teleport in. If you need me, I’ll be trying to check up on everyone I can.

Viltia took a step to leave, but still faced Wing in case she had something to say.

OOC: @Unreliable Narrator I'm fully expecting Boss to arrive shortly for his trees. He then chooses his favorite brand of trees. Then his favorite flavor? Oops, all village!

• Like 1

IC: Wing | Le-Metru Nuva

Wing nodded, although Viltia could see fear in her friend's eyes. "Evacuation? We've barely even been here and already we're thinking of leaving? I don't like it. I think we should make our stand. This is our home now."

Wing visibly deflated. "I guess you toa know best. I trust you Viltia, you've always had our backs. Thanks for talking with Torch. Sala hasn't happened to come back yet, has he? I'm worried about him and Sorilax. What'll happen to them if we evacuate?"

OOC: @Kal the Guardian, @Nato the Traveler

• Like 1

Happy chat.

With - NPC Wing

Viltia shook her head no to the question about Sala being back, “They’ve only been gone a couple days. Sorilax said the walk there would take that long, so we shouldn’t expect them back for several more. If we evacuate… well, Sorilax says he’s studied the island rigorously. I’m sure he’ll be able to find us again and bring back Sala safely.” Viltia wondered if maybe they should have sent a trained fighter along with Sala and Sorilax. The pair weren’t exactly capable watchmen, let alone warriors. Even with that mech thing Sorilax owned that Sala used. She hoped they stayed safe.

Viltia tried to give Wing a confident smile, “And who knows, we might not need to evacuate at all. I’m sure Torch and a few other leaders might come to ask your opinion on our options.” Her fake smile turned into a sad one, “And I’ve grown to like this place, too. Since we found the Colony Drones, most of the Rahi and giant insect attacks have stopped and allowed this place to feel a lot more like home. There’s this odd beauty to this swamp as long as you stay out of the water.

IC: Uraborask & Skrillix (The Fau Swamp)

Scanning the treeline, Uraborask and Skrillix were startled by the seemingly dead Skakdi coming back to life, illiciting an even louder "SHRAHK!" from the beastly Skakdi. Moving on instinct, Uraborask quickly shifted the rig into reverse, trying to shake the thing off enough so that he could immediately accelerate forwards as to completely flatten the thing that tried to get at him and Skrillix.

IC: Drukarus (Irrnak's Tooth)

"You have the divining sphere, One of the Warskaks who went up the mountain said he saw you pick it up. Has she spoken yet? She's already spoken to you hasn't she." 

As the Grime spoke, Drukarus semi-conscious mind began to get to work as he slowly began to understand what the Matoran was speaking of. But that was not the only thing he noticed, whether it was some defensive instinct from living with Skakdi for all his life, or simply just a bad feeling, Drukarus noticed the Matoran's progressively growing steps as Grime approached ever further towards the wizen Skak. And although Drukarus did not expect anything, something told him he should.

Rising from his seated position a bit faster than what would normally be warranted, Drukarus stood above the Matoran, his maul in his right hand, the head of which planted onto the ground, ready to be used if needs be. Staring down towards Grime, Drukarus spoke out in his usually stoic manner, a hint of curiosity being noted in his indictation.

"Divining sphere...Hrmmmm...You mentioned a she? Who is this she? And what do you know of them?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unreliable Narrator said:

IC: Spark | Le-Metru Nuva

Spark let go of the lightstone rifle and leaned closer. In a whisper, Spark said; "and keep your eye on Torch. He's been acting strange today. I dunno if he just woke up on the wrong side of the bed or if something's going on and he's not telling the village, but he and the other village leaders have been talking most of today since you two left. It's suspicious. I'm only saying this cause we gotta stick together, you know? Not everyone gets "chosen people" powers."

"Don't get me started," she managed a half-hearted chuckle, before adopting a more serious expression. "Thanks for the heads-up. I'll watch my back." 

She bid farewell to Spark, and began her descent back towards the swamp floor, more questions compounded her already-stressed thoughts. Was there actually something going on with Wing, or had Torch made up the whole thing to divert suspicion away from himself? Or was Spark the one lying about Torch? There were too many variables, too many beings whose true motives and activities were unknown. 

Loathe though she was to leave Viltia in the middle of what was increasingly feeling like a Doom Viper nest, the Toa had been here longer, and knew the locals better than Sidra did. If anyone could spot a liar among them, it would be her... assuming she wasn't blinded by her trust for them. Sidra would have to have faith, and focus on her own tasks. 

She started by deploying her two nektann once she reached the ground, sending them scuttling off in the direction she and Viltia had encountered the undead. She programmed them to walk for about fifteen minutes, then find trees to take up vantage points on. Hopefully they'd be able to offer her some warning if the undead approached, assuming they didn't teleport straight here the same way Othorak's walking corpse had teleported away from her.

Once the drones were underway, she sprinted off in the direction of the lumber area. It was the biggest clear area she knew of in the vicinity of the village, and therefore the best spot for an initial rallying point if an evacuation became necessary. Plus, there were possibly guards and gatherers along the route already, and they would need to be warned of what was coming... 

1 hour ago, Unreliable Narrator said:

Whisper entered the room down the right hallway and found it as Apex left it. The ground looked covered by dirt and leaves, and walls shower various different things as Apex had seen earlier. With a little snooping, Whisper could find the beginnings of a taboo rituals inscribed on the floor.

IC: Whisper - Ruins of Air

"Spin me around... think outside the box..." she turned a slow circle around the chamber, searching for something, anything, that might correlate with the Administrator's cryptic clues. Her gaze eventually settled on the protruding mouthpiece near the ceiling. It didn't look like something that could be spun, but it was a means for her to get some insight into the inner workings of this structure. 

Whisper shed her armoured shell and emerged into the air in her gaseous form, drifting up towards the mouthpiece and attempting to flow through it, into the connected pipe. Given the Administrator's insistence that Aspects weren't welcome here, she was certain that this wasn't the intended solution to whatever twisted puzzle Toa Lewa had created, but it was also possibly something the Toa hadn't even considered or accounted for. 

There was no way to know without trying. 

@Unreliable Narrator

• Like 2

The matoran visibly shrank back as Drukarus stood from his resting place next to the petrified tree. It seemed Grime knew his limits. Then he opened his mouth.

“For what I know I demand freedom. Will you make good on your word last night?”

IC: Reliable Narrator | Fau Swamps

The skakdi slid off the now dented hood of Uraborask’s war rig. The long stretchy webbing ascending into the canopy grew taught, and then the leaves and smaller branches broke as Uraborask saw a host of dead and decaying creatures fall from above, screeching and groaning. They all plummeted like rocks into the swamp around Uraborask and Srkillex. As he gunned the transmission and accelerated the engine forward, Uraborask felt the jolt in the suspension and hurt the cracking of the skakdi underneath the wheels. In the distance he could hear shouting:

“Help! Somebody! Anybody!”

Whisper found the pipes far more spacious than expected. Perhaps it was the formless shape of her gaseous self rather than the restrictive armor she normally inhabited, but the pipes were rather cozy. She explored them and their complex internal looping back and forth before coming to a dead end of stars gazing back at her. She knew she was butting up against the left side of the room. How come she could see the stars in the pipes? How come she could see stars at the bottom of the pool?

“Are you enjoying exploring the boundaries of my suva?” The administrator asked. “I must admit I deduced you to be more commanding than curious. Perhaps your log needs further analysis.”

OOC: @Eyru, @Nato the Traveler, @Burnmad, @Sparticus147

IC: Wing | Le-Metru Nuva

"I agree. I like the natural beauty of this place. Too bad it wants to kill us." Wing sighed, then she remembered something and reached into her desk. "Oh, hold on a moment I almost forgot. I was out exploring and I found this broken down vehicle earlier. There was something in it I thought might be useful to you. It's a crude compass. You just have to put the pin up every time you want to use it and be somewhere with light so you can read it."

Wing handed the janky compass to Viltia with pride. She didn't usually find things that proved useful as gifts. "Okay, best of luck! Stay safe. And if you do happen to see Sala, let him know I said hi."

OOC: @Kal the Guardian

IC: ? | ?

What's your problem. Give me the light. I'm tired of waiting. Four stars are lit. Two more candles. Give me the light.

? | ?
  • Like 1

Happy chat.