Strangest Bionicle media

Alexander123

1 hour ago, Xboxtravis said:

If you haven't seen it yet, the Bionicle Jam footage from Legoland California is a trip

Man, that’s exaggerating. I didn’t know there’s that. 

Anyway, I believe it’s the Bionicle Star stop motion videos in 2010, the Mask of Creation and Mask of Control apps, the 2015 online animations (one voice actor for all characters), those Burger King toys that promoted the Mask of Light movie, the handheld video games, Bionicle: The Game in 2003, and most online games.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

The joke videos: “Rahkshi Rocks,” “Singing Squid” and “Mahri Movie Outtake.”

Honorable mentions: “BIONICLE Brain” and the “Piraka Playground” feature of BIONICLE Heroes. I’ve also read there are Easter eggs hidden in the programming of the alpha and beta builds of The Legend of Mata Nui, but they’re not BZP-appropriate and Beaverhouse actually made a point to remove them.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Like 4

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

I don't know if this counts, but the Wonka advertisements in the 2007 comics. Did anyone else find them completely tonally jarring? 2007 was one of the darkest years, so having the "visit the world of Wonka!" really took me out of it.

That BIONICLE Jam video is beautiful. It also made me realize, there was a brief period of time when the Bohrok weren't part of Makuta's plan and he really was defeated for good in 2001. I this performance for small children probably wasn't directly approved by the Story Team, but consider: in 2008, the Toa had to release the Bohrok again to ravage the island, because it had to be "cleaned" for Mata Nui to wake up. Their first awakening was prematurely triggered by Makuta, but that wasn't the understanding of the situation in 2002: the Bohrok were awakened properly and really were preparing for Mata Nui's reawakening. I wonder if there was some kind of different ending planned, where the Toa don't defeat the Bohrok. Do they learn the truth and find a secret passage back inside the robot? It could have been a lot different.

• Like 3

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I mean, it kinda surprises me that no-one's mentioned "Free the Band" yet; because to me that thing was THE SINGLE most bizarre piece of Bionicle media xD Perhaps it would have made more sense had I had any interest in the popular music scene, but as it was I knew nothing of the band in question, so any significance was entirely lost on me.

• Like 6

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

3 hours ago, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

I mean, it kinda surprises me that no-one's mentioned "Free the Band" yet; because to me that thing was THE SINGLE most bizarre piece of Bionicle media xD Perhaps it would have made more sense had I had any interest in the popular music scene, but as it was I knew nothing of the band in question, so any significance was entirely lost on me.

I never got the point of it. It wasn't canon so it didn't do or add anything for Bionicle fans, and the band weren't so big that their fans would've added much to Bionicle's success, and how many rock fans were going to be interested in a Lego line anyway?

12 hours ago, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

It was so bizarre that I forgot to mention it. Don’t forget the “Rock Yachts” web site that was eventually found to give basis for the whole “plot” of the campaign, but when it was first launched (it’s supposed to be the business the the All-American Rejects rented their boat from, and said boat is where the Piraka abducted them), but when the site first launched we didn’t really see how it connected to BIONICLE.

8 hours ago, Sir Kohran said:

I never got the point of it. It wasn't canon so it didn't do or add anything for Bionicle fans, and the band weren't so big that their fans would've added much to Bionicle's success, and how many rock fans were going to be interested in a Lego line anyway?

It gave us two things: and excuse to watch the Toa Inika storm the Piraka Stronghold to the tune of “Move Along,” and a Nuparu electric guitar (which I oddly can’t seem to find a picture of).

On 4/18/2020 at 7:01 AM, Xboxtravis said:

If you haven't seen it yet, the Bionicle Jam footage from Legoland California is a trip

I like STOMP, but this combination is too much...I cannot believe that they got actual dancers for this...

The "Insane Bionicle Brain" song was by far the most bizarre thing I saw.  

you can call me boomie :D

9 hours ago, Cheesy Mac n Cheese said:

It was so bizarre that I forgot to mention it. Don’t forget the “Rock Yachts” web site that was eventually found to give basis for the whole “plot” of the campaign, but when it was first launched (it’s supposed to be the business the the All-American Rejects rented their boat from, and said boat is where the Piraka abducted them), but when the site first launched we didn’t really see how it connected to BIONICLE.

It gave us two things: and excuse to watch the Toa Inika storm the Piraka Stronghold to the tune of “Move Along,” and a Nuparu electric guitar (which I oddly can’t seem to find a picture of).

I totally forgot about Free the Band until you guys just reminded me. Seriously, what even was that? It was just this weird ARG-type LEGO thing... honestly I cringe recalling it. The Piraka Rap was more raw cringe, but it happened quickly and then was over. FtB was like a serious thing.

• Like 2

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

I guess originally the Free the Band promotion was going to feature Fallout Boy, but a scandal at the time caused the quick switch to The All American Rejects. Its such an odd promotion, because while not canon to Bionicle its really the only official media to have real humans interacting in any form with Bionicle characters. It seems bizarre to think that the first thing the Piraka would do if they got into the real world... wouldn't be a heist of Fort Knox, stealing nuclear launch codes, starting wars in unstable regions... but instead kidnapping a recognizable alternative rock band from the mid 2000's. It kind of moves the Piraka's "stealing the mask that controls all life in the universe" scheme in canon, to something that feels like a Saturday morning cartoon villain. Like even Pinky and the Brain had better schemes (okay they did kidnap The Beatles once in an early Animaniacs episode... but that is off topic) Its probably for the best we never saw Free the Band again, I don't want to know what freeing The White Stripes from the Barraki, or saving My Chemical Romance from the Skrall would have been like...  

• Like 7

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

11 minutes ago, Xboxtravis said:

I guess originally the Free the Band promotion was going to feature Fallout Boy, but a scandal at the time caused the quick switch to The All American Rejects. Its such an odd promotion, because while not canon to Bionicle its really the only official media to have real humans interacting in any form with Bionicle characters. It seems bizarre to think that the first thing the Piraka would do if they got into the real world... wouldn't be a heist of Fort Knox, stealing nuclear launch codes, starting wars in unstable regions... but instead kidnapping a recognizable alternative rock band from the mid 2000's. It kind of moves the Piraka's "stealing the mask that controls all life in the universe" scheme in canon, to something that feels like a Saturday morning cartoon villain. Like even Pinky and the Brain had better schemes (okay they did kidnap The Beatles once in an early Animaniacs episode... but that is off topic) Its probably for the best we never saw Free the Band again, I don't want to know what freeing The White Stripes from the Barraki, or saving My Chemical Romance from the Skrall would have been like...  

The Skull Spiders have kidnapped Linkin Park!

• Like 8

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

2 hours ago, Xboxtravis said:

The Makuta had kidnapped Cryoshell!

• Like 3

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

4 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

The Makuta had kidnapped Cryoshell!

See, Cryoshell would have actually been a half-decent choice, since they've kind of been "the BIONICLE band" from the get-go.

Or:

Real-world criminals from Earth kidnap the Le-Koro band from MNOG.

Edited by Master Inika
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

On 4/18/2020 at 3:01 PM, Xboxtravis said:

this is peak early 2000s aesthetic

Loads of great responses here, but my vote goes for the whole Piraka marketing campaign; especially the website. It was so odd that Lego spent five years maintaining absolutely flawless worldbuilding, only to throw it all in the bin with all sorts of incongruous real-world details. A police lineup? Cringy rap music? A bucking bronco? A couch?

Less bizarre but still worth mentioning are the intro video from Bionicle Heroes where Balta addresses the player (all the camera movements and character animations are really uncomfortably weird), and the various test animations which were supposedly pitches by various animation studios for the Mask of Light movie (all pretty awesome, but I find it weird how little we know about them!).

-

-

Edited by Distorted
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 11:29 AM, Lenny7092 said:

Burger King toys that promoted the Mask of Light movie

What happened to McDonalds? 

That Legoland footage is also........an experience.

I also recall seeing once cards that came with Russian versions of the novels that had stock Star Trek images in the background, so there would be pictures of the Kaitas with planets and the Constitution class Enterprise in the background.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Laval- Master of Energy said:

I seem to recall a commercial for the Intel Pentium 4 (that came with that 2003 game). Something about a "Bionic Man..."

I was surprised to find out Makooti is something a real professional advertising agency came up with. I always assumed that Makooti was just a dumb meme like Voriki that had lasted a long time in the fandom; then I finally found that commercial on YouTube and was shocked to see that origin for the meme:

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Xboxtravis said:

I was surprised to find out Makooti is something a real professional advertising agency came up with. I always assumed that Makooti was just a dumb meme like Voriki that had lasted a long time in the fandom; then I finally found that commercial on YouTube and was shocked to see that origin for the meme:

I just searched Shapeways to see if someone had thought to design and sell a custom Makooti mask. I was not disappointed:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/T5B7KPL2L/kanohi-intel-mask-of-the-bionic-man?optionId=118534676&li=marketplace

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Like 2

On 4/21/2020 at 10:30 AM, Alexander123 said:

I also recall seeing once cards that came with Russian versions of the novels that had stock Star Trek images in the background, so there would be pictures of the Kaitas with planets and the Constitution class Enterprise in the background.

... so that is why Mata Nui is played by Michael Dorn.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Cheesy Mac n Cheese said:

Makooti mask.

It grants the abilities of super speed that looks like slow motion while 70s music plays in the background,the ability to leap above higher than the average man while sound effects plays in the background, and super strength while sound effects play in the background. The mask costs six million widgets.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 12:27 AM, 21Boomerangs said:

This reminds me of this creepy thing:

It was fan made, though, so it technically doesn’t count...

A fleshy giant has kidnapped the Toa, removed their legs, and forced them to make music! Looks like it's all up to the All-American Rejects to Free the Band!

• Like 1

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/28/2020 at 3:14 PM, Allan18 said:

The fact that just now almost 17 years of my life i discovered that Roodaka was a dominatrix scalie witch.

No.

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.