BIONICLE G1 Canon Contest

TERIDAX941

So many of you might have seen here that Greg mentioned that he would possibly hold another contest to determine the canon appearances of various G1 characters. Well the TTV poll that was held showed staggering approval of this idea, so it has become official. TTV has listed which characters, the rules and start date of the first contest on their message board (link below). So this is now official! What do you all think? Will you partake? I for one am eager to pull out my old collection and start thinking up new designs for some of these characters. :D

TTV Contest Characters, Rules, and Start Date

• Upvote 1

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I think that we should hold off on any new contests until Greg approves the short stories written by people who already won a contest. There were three or four S&T contests a few years ago where all first place winners and a few runner-ups were guaranteed canonization pending approval from Greg. But he never found the time to read them and they’ve kind of been floating around, half-forgotten, ever since.

• Like 4

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

I've already started ordering parts for Helryx and brainstorming her build. I know the idea of a contest 10 years after G1's cancellation doesn't enthuse everybody; but personally I really have come to dig the idea. Its a shot in the arm the community can use; and while I have hopes for whatever Faber is planning for #14B2020... that type of project is frankly out of our hands. We can't control something like #14B2020. But a contest like this, with Greg's blessing is in the fandom's hands; and it gives me perfect MOC inspiration fodder. I'd rather have a fandom hyped for this contest, arguing about if it, getting excited and rooting for favorite designs, etc... than a fandom that has nothing else to do than re-hash the same nostalgic beats we have had since 2010; while praying Faber's one man crusade accomplishes something. Besides I think it was ultimately a smart move to cut off to only focus on canon pre-existing characters who we lack visual media for. If this was a canonization contest for new story, I'd be concerned; and as Greg has already hinted he actually can't accept new story material anymore since Lego's legal teams aren't approving Bionicle names anymore. But new visuals are fair game. Even if say, Lego were to reboot G1 in the future and someday declare the contest winners non-canon; well c'est la vida

Plus it gives me something to do while this quarantine stretches out longer and longer. Heck even for a looser in this contest, I will be able to look back on say my Helryx MOC and say that was my contribution. I look back on the MOCs I build as a kid for the Dark Hunters book and the 2006 BBC contest with similar attitudes, even though neither MOC won anything in either contest they were entered in. I can still flip through the Dark Hunters book and say "I remember building a model for this contest!" 

Heck for nostalgia's sake, my BBC 2006 model to highlight how those memories still stick all these years later. Yes it was a loosing model, but dang I was proud of that thing as a 12 year old; just as how I hope to be proud at a stab at Helryx at 26. Hunter.thumb.jpg.19c3fe23383dbff4f2e106e4bf70412d.jpg

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Like 2

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

(Responding to Iron man 5)
Elaborate...hmm. It just is overwhelming to have something like this finally happening, it was easy before to just leave up in the air as to characters appearances but to set this in stone is a very big move. Especially for me, I have never had something like this happen in the (relatively) short time I’ve been interested in bionicle, I am terrified and excited thinking that I might be able to actually contribute to the fandom. Maybe.

It's a little confusing, but am I reading it right that there's going to be an art portion to the contests as well as a building portion?

If that's the case... I'm no MoCist, but I might just take a stab at the art portion. Just for fun, and to say I've tried, you know? Although it looks like you have to be a member of the other site to enter, so that might prevent me from actually submitting even if I do create an entry xD

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

On 4/19/2020 at 1:52 PM, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

Although it looks like you have to be a member of the other site to enter,

I am having trouble with the other site my own self. Looks like you have to have a google yahoo or that patreon email to get an account? If any one has an account on the other site some help getting an account would be greatly appreciated.

8 hours ago, Alexander123 said:

I am having trouble with the other site my own self. Looks like you have to have a google yahoo or that patreon email to get an account? If any one has an account on the other site some help getting an account would be greatly appreciated.

I was able to join a few minutes ago with minor inconvenience although I did use a google email.

I'm personally indifferent to this contest, but hey if other people want/like it then I say live and let live. 

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I’m hype for the descriptions of these guys. Anyway, I’m surprised that we don’t do Phantom, The Recorder, Tren Krom, Annona, Mavrah, and Great Beings. 

On 4/18/2020 at 4:51 PM, Cheesy Mac n Cheese said:

I think that we should hold off on any new contests until Greg approves the short stories written by people who already won a contest. There were three or four S&T contests a few years ago where all first place winners and a few runner-ups were guaranteed canonization pending approval from Greg. But he never found the time to read them and they’ve kind of been floating around, half-forgotten, ever since.

Agreed on the story contest part. I bet that if this contest does well, then we could have that as well somehow. Besides, the G1 story can’t be unfinished forever.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Can't the dead be left to rest in their graves?

G1 ended in 2010 (or 2011, depending on how you look at it). I think it's just to late for this sort of thing to be reasonable.

On 4/18/2020 at 1:51 PM, Cheesy Mac n Cheese said:

Also, old loose ends do need to be tied up, but that does not mean coming up with new stuff for people to fight over.

I've been wondering if one of the contests is going to spawn a debate that will tear this fandom apart...

Long story short: I'm opposed to the contests. The Bionicle community already has enough problems and does not need more.

RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

9 hours ago, Laval- Master of Energy said:

Can't the dead be left to rest in their graves?

G1 ended in 2010 (or 2011, depending on how you look at it). I think it's just to late for this sort of thing to be reasonable.

Also, old loose ends do need to be tied up, but that does not mean coming up with new stuff for people to fight over.

I've been wondering if one of the contests is going to spawn a debate that will tear this fandom apart...

Long story short: I'm opposed to the contests. The Bionicle community already has enough problems and does not need more.

It doesn’t matter if you or anyone else is opposed to contests, the fact is that there was such a contest, and the winners never got what they were promised.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

9 hours ago, Laval- Master of Energy said:

Maybe this is just me... but what problems? I am 26 years old, I have been in this fandom since 2001 for 15 years and have seen quite a few ups and downs in the community. Yes website traffic to a place like BZPower is a lot slower than it was in say 2004-06 during the "golden years," but is that really a surprise? So much social media has moved away from forums to places like Facebook, Twitter and Reddit; not to mention that most of the OG fandom are all adults now. Some people believe it or not, move on from their childhood interests; they have jobs and kids and mortgages to pay. We're just the weird ones who still are hanging around wanting to reminisce about our favorite old Lego toys. 

And yeah in 2020, I think this fandom is actually in a really strong position right now. The moccing, fan art and fan fiction community is still swinging strong. Places like Maskposting can see a dozen or more posts a day, which is extremely active for a Facebook group. One of our forum admins was on a nationally televised competition show where he competed against other teams for the title of Lego Master. Not to mention Faber's teases for whatever he is planning, and incredibly ambitious fan products like fan video games. Millennial nostalgia has bit Bionicle hard, and if anything I feel like we are seeing more people coming back to this fandom right now than those leaving. A bit of extra cash to burn from from adult jobs certainly helps in the Bricklink and used Lego market too to get Bionicle sets and pieces to fans enthusiastic to relive a part of their childhood. 

So I just can't see how a few canonization contests are going to be the dividing wedge that somehow kills this fandom. Somehow Star Wars survived Ewoks, The Prequels, The Sequels and the Holiday Special and is still chugging along despite all that; divided fandom or not. Trek fandom somehow survived the cancellation of The Original Series, Star Trek: Enterprise and Nemesis; and now its back in full swing once again. Marvel somehow managed to survive Spider-Man: One More Day, and DC survived Batman and Robin. I just really can't wrap my head around how a few photos of characters added to a fan wiki that one guy at Lego set "sure, that's canon" is going to be the dividing wedge in this fandom when other fandoms have clearly survived much worse, arguably our fandom has already survived much worse. 

And that's why I already have built a Helryx moc and am considering my ideas for Artakha. I don't think throwing a few mocs into a contest is going to be the dividing wedge in this fandom; if anything its the bit of fun I need to distract myself from my college education which is dragging due to the switch to online classes, the global pandemic going on outside my doors, and the killer hornets buzzing around now. Even if my Helryx moc gets beat down and looses in the competition, I honestly don't feel like anything is lost. In fact I already have seen a few Helryx mocs floating around that make me think wow that's better than mine! But there is no hard feelings lost because at the end of the day this competition got me to sit down for a bit and play with some Lego's and flex my creative muscle offering a brief nostalgic respite from a chaotic world and this struggle called 'adulting.'

• Like 2

On 5/3/2020 at 7:35 PM, Lenny7092 said:

I’m hype for the descriptions of these guys. Anyway, I’m surprised that we don’t do Phantom, The Recorder, Tren Krom, Annona, Mavrah, and Great Beings. 

They specifically stayed away from choosing characters with very strange/alien appearances like Tren Krom and Annona, and I have to say I agree with that decision.

Anyway, I think my biggest complain with these contests is how it's limited to only TTV forums but still somehow supposed to represent the opinions on the entire Bionicle fan community. I think the hosts of the contest should be doing more official outreach on this instead of us being stuck with second hand posts like this with a link back. I also think voting should be held across as many platforms as possible, rather than only TTV forums.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 6:34 PM, Valendale said:

They specifically stayed away from choosing characters with very strange/alien appearances like Tren Krom and Annona, and I have to say I agree with that decision.

Anyway, I think my biggest complain with these contests is how it's limited to only TTV forums but still somehow supposed to represent the opinions on the entire Bionicle fan community. I think the hosts of the contest should be doing more official outreach on this instead of us being stuck with second hand posts like this with a link back. I also think voting should be held across as many platforms as possible, rather than only TTV forums.

How about drawing the other characters? It worked for Nikila and Surel. :)

On 4/18/2020 at 4:51 PM, Cheesy Mac n Cheese said:

Which contests? I would love to read those stories.

Also, in regards to the current contest, I'm happy that their dusting some mothballs off the G1 canon, but it feels like an empty move at this point. I would care more if they actually planned to finish the online serials and wrap up the story. When will we get a contest that fixes that loose end?

Edited by Darkmatter Inika
  • Upvote 1

"If every porkchop were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs."

12 hours ago, Darkmatter Inika said:

Which contests? I would love to read those stories.

Also, in regards to the current contest, I'm happy that their dusting some mothballs off the G1 canon, but it feels like an empty move at this point. I would care more if they actually planned to finish the online serials and wrap up the story. When will we get a contest that fixes that loose end?

I agree. This should happen. Seriously. The story and the serials being unfinished is unhealthy. Do it justice, like how Samurai Jack and “Hey, Arnold“ got re-continued to have their stories finished in 2017 after 13 years of waiting. Even if it means doing a story contest (I would like to think that Hero Factory shares the same universe as Bionicle, so I would like to think that if the Bionicle G1 story continued, the Great Beings would say something like, “While Spherus Magna was destroyed, we created Mr. Makuro and opposite genders of the Matoran species, like male Ga-Matoran and female Ta-Matoran”, and Vezon would mention visiting the G2 universe for fun”, for everybody’s convenience. These are just bonuses). Perhaps we could wait for Bionicle’s 20th anniversary in 2021 to have it happened.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 5:34 PM, Valendale said:

Well, you’ve now heard about it on BZP, others heard about it on Tumblr and Reddit. That’s about as big of outreach as can be done. As to voting in more places, how many different websites did BZP host voting on in the past? That’s right, just one. Besides, it’s not hard to make a throwaway account to cast a vote or two every month.

"Life is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think," Unknown

Here’s the real question: like it or hate it, these contests are canon and are happening. So why isn’t there a front page article about this? 

"Life is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think," Unknown

• 3 weeks later...

People of BZPower the fandom needs us. Currently a meme is running first place to become the canon Helryx, we must try our hardest to prevent the leader of the Order of Mata Nui from becoming a noodle. We can change this dark future from becoming a reality. Vote now! Make our voices heard! If BZPower also wants Noodleryx to win then it is the will of destiny!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alexander123 said:

People of BZPower the fandom needs us. Currently a meme is running first place to become the canon Helryx, we must try our hardest to prevent the leader of the Order of Mata Nui from becoming a noodle. We can change this dark future from becoming a reality. Vote now! Make our voices heard! If BZPower also wants Noodleryx to win then it is the will of destiny!

Yeah I don’t think if they have any semblance of decency they won’t let whatever that is become canon. 

M11

I'll look at registering and voting later today. My personal favorite is the one with chains but I don't think it is likely to win.

As far as the joke Helryx goes, I think it is funny and has probably done more to unite the fans than anything else about the contests has, and will likely be what people think of when they think of Helryx for a long time to come. Still I don't think Greg will approve it if it wins, nor do I think he should.

EDIT: Seems like they have a requirement to be able to vote now. Maybe I'll reach it by tonight, but I'm not gonna force it if I don't naturally.

Edited by Valendale

Well I am looking back at the comments I made in April and May, and I can say my opinion on the matter has changed. I made my entry and uploaded it at the start of June (I ended up as Entry 4 in Poll Uno: https://board.ttvchannel.com/t/helryx-leader-of-the-order-of-mata-nui-contest-entry-the-first/51876). I followed the contest to the end, and even to my surprise one of my favorite entries was declared the winner of the contest, this one below: 

8ssixoguc8s41.jpg

But... to say the contest was drama free would be a lie... as Hoseryx, Bendyrx or whatever you wanted to call it came into second place (and would have taken first place had TTV not culled the votes they felt were coming from dupe and bot accounts). Personally I thought it was a hilarious entry, and the amount of memes it created kept me (and even some of my non-Bionicle fan friends) chuckling for the last few weeks. Now with the contest over... I think Hoseryx will always cast a shadow over everything that the winning Helryx achieved, especially as people will accuse TTV of tampering with the votes to create a more favorable outcome (although I agree it was right to cull out any bot accounts and fake votes, that will forever be in debate with Helryx I think in our fandom now). 

So what are my thoughts on the contests now? Well first, lets finish the art contest and get the mask finished and a few nice drawings of the winning Helryx for BioSector01. Then... end the contests. This was fun while it lasted, but looking at the list now... Arthahka... Lariska... 2/3 of the Toa Hagah... Marrendar, etc. These are all characters I really no longer care to see with a canon form or not at this point. Yes they are characters I would love to MOC and create on my own just as I did for my own Helryx entry if I ever get a chance at it, but I don't want to see the endless debates that would be caused if Arthahka used 3D printed parts, G2 style CCBS, or even a joke entry like Bendy-thahka or something like that. Yes this contest was fun and a blast while it lasted, but its ensuing drama makes me feel now it is time to end the great experiment so to speak and just let the G1 canon rest again with Helryx as the last addition. Leave the moc contests in the more imaginative areas like the BioCup, and let any attempt to officially alter G1 to Lego themselves if they ever return to the franchise someday.

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule where, 51% of the people take away the rights from the other 49%" (source unknown, often erroneously attributed to Thomas Jefferson) feels like a great description of the events of this contest. 

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they change up the voting process in some way with the later contests. Particularly, I think it might be nice to see something more iterative. For instance, in this case we could have Hoseryx but then have the actual winner as something like Risebell's version of her, where it's the same basic idea but a little more serious.

8 hours ago, Valendale said:

I hope they change up the voting process in some way with the later contests. Particularly, I think it might be nice to see something more iterative. For instance, in this case we could have Hoseryx but then have the actual winner as something like Risebell's version of her, where it's the same basic idea but a little more serious.

Little late for that my friend. 

Fortunately the mask contest has lent itself to some excellent artwork. That one drawn in the comic style is just *chefs kiss* perfection. 

M11

9 hours ago, Matoro11 said:

Little late for that my friend. 

Fortunately the mask contest has lent itself to some excellent artwork. That one drawn in the comic style is just *chefs kiss* perfection. 

That's why I said for later contests. I know it's too late for this one.

I haven't looked at any of the contest artwork, but if it's as good as the stuff we were getting for Bendy, I'm sure we'll be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

i'll say this; the contest was freaking rigged! i'v been avoiding TTV for the longest time now (please don't ask me to explain cuz' i won't!) and them being accused ov tampering with the votes for this contest is no surprise to me! the drama involved in this contest is freaking ridiculous and stupid! i choose to avoid contests altogether (no matter what site is hosting them) cuz' i just don't have the energy to put into a MOC that'll never win (mostly cuz' some ov my MOCs are a bit erotic), so it would be a waste ov time for me to enter in a contest just to lose! it sucks! 

also, the winning Helryx is NOT the winning Helryx for me! not by a freaking long-shot! this is the Helryx i believe should be canonized: 

but yeah! well, congrats to the winner anyway! i was really hoping for the Helryx i mentioned would win, but whatever! stuff happens! :) 

Edited by TheZOMBIEJ

5 hours ago, TheZOMBIEJ said:

i'll say this; the contest was freaking rigged! i'v been avoiding TTV for the longest time now (please don't ask me to explain cuz' i won't!) and them being accused ov tampering with the votes for this contest is no surprise to me! the drama involved in this contest is freaking ridiculous and stupid! i choose to avoid contests altogether (no matter what site is hosting them) cuz' i just don't have the energy to put into a MOC that'll never win (mostly cuz' some ov my MOCs are a bit erotic), so it would be a waste ov time for me to enter in a contest just to lose! it sucks! 

also, the winning Helryx is NOT the winning Helryx for me! not by a freaking long-shot! this is the Helryx i believe should be canonized: 

but yeah! well, congrats to the winner anyway! i was really hoping for the Helryx i mentioned would win, but whatever! stuff happens! :) 

Bro, you gotta get over that. Hoseryx was never going to win, and they were perfectly justified to exclude an obvious joke from a contest to determine a character’s canonical appearance. The winner is absolutely fantastic. The hunched-over look of the model, the Mata hands, the Roborider-inspired mask, it’s everything Helryx is described as. Plus it’s drawn in a comic style. And you shouldn’t let popularity detract from your own art, or your not an artist. 

M11

4 hours ago, Matoro11 said:

Bro, you gotta get over that. Hoseryx was never going to win, and they were perfectly justified to exclude an obvious joke from a contest to determine a character’s canonical appearance. The winner is absolutely fantastic. The hunched-over look of the model, the Mata hands, the Roborider-inspired mask, it’s everything Helryx is described as. Plus it’s drawn in a comic style. And you shouldn’t let popularity detract from your own art, or your not an artist. 

so the Helryx (Hoseryx, whatever!) that was pictured earlier in this topic didn't win? well that's a relief! still, the best (in my opinion) was the Helryx i mentioned in my initial reply! she just looks so amazing! also, the winning Helryx is hunched over? what is she, the freaking hunchback ov Notre Dam? i just don't like seeing Helryx as a hunched over character (especially since she's a freaking (female) TOA!)! now, i know there are Toa like Onua and Pohatu who were hunched as part ov their design (until 2008) but still! 

as for my "art", bro if you saw any ov my erotic MOCs you would probably be disgusted! i am not proud ov those MOCs and i was never a good MOCist in the first place, but whatever! i do better at singing than i do at building Bionicle (or even HF) MOCs! i originally intended to form a Christian Rock band at some point, but with this stupid pandemic still in existence i don't think that'll happen any time soon! so regardless ov whatever "art" i create it'll never live up to anyone's (not even my own) expectations! like i said, singing is a passion i have but i haven't been able to do ANY covers for a while now! so i'm pretty much screwed in all directions! lol 

anyway, i'm sorry for having an opinion (which i am entitled to) on the canonization ov a character from a children's toy line! and i'm sorry for being a jerk (if i ever was) about this stuff! i'm not usually like this, but when something set's me off i get unhappy (for lack ov better terms)! it's bad enough to find out my father's Uncle Bob died sometime Tuesday morning, so i'm not happy about that (i'm actually very sad. :(), so yeah! and i'm sorry for the long reply, but i just felt i had to say what was going through my mind! (plus i'm Autistic, so... ) i'm sure you understand! :) 

Edited by TheZOMBIEJ

3 hours ago, TheZOMBIEJ said:

so the Helryx (Hoseryx, whatever!) that was pictured earlier in this topic didn't win? well that's a relief! still, the best (in my opinion) was the Helryx i mentioned in my initial reply! she just looks so amazing! also, the winning Helryx is hunched over? what is she, the freaking hunchback ov Notre Dam? i just don't like seeing Helryx as a hunched over character (especially since she's a freaking (female) TOA!)! now, i know there are Toa like Onua and Pohatu who were hunched as part ov their design (until 2008) but still! 

as for my "art", bro if you saw any ov my erotic MOCs you would probably be disgusted! i am not proud ov those MOCs and i was never a good MOCist in the first place, but whatever! i do better at singing than i do at building Bionicle (or even HF) MOCs! i originally intended to form a Christian Rock band at some point, but with this stupid pandemic still in existence i don't think that'll happen any time soon! so regardless ov whatever "art" i create it'll never live up to anyone's (not even my own) expectations! like i said, singing is a passion i have but i haven't been able to do ANY covers for a while now! so i'm pretty much screwed in all directions! lol 

anyway, i'm sorry for having an opinion (which i am entitled to) on the canonization ov a character from a children's toy line! and i'm sorry for being a jerk (if i ever was) about this stuff! i'm not usually like this, but when something set's me off i get unhappy (for lack ov better terms)! it's bad enough to find out my father's Uncle Bob died sometime Tuesday morning, so i'm not happy about that (i'm actually very sad. :(), so yeah! and i'm sorry for the long reply, but i just felt i had to say what was going through my mind! (plus i'm Autistic, so... ) i'm sure you understand! :) 

Nah man I’m saying don’t be a bad sport. Nobody rigged anything. They got rid of an obvious troll, and the people made their decision. As far as design choices, I think it’s perfectly appropriate for her to be hunched because in the story she’s several hundred thousand years old. 

Don’t beat yourself up man. I’m a stranger on the Internet. No ill will toward you. 

M11

3 hours ago, Matoro11 said:

Nah man I’m saying don’t be a bad sport. Nobody rigged anything. They got rid of an obvious troll, and the people made their decision. As far as design choices, I think it’s perfectly appropriate for her to be hunched because in the story she’s several hundred thousand years old. 

Don’t beat yourself up man. I’m a stranger on the Internet. No ill will toward you. 

alright. part ov my problem (which ties into my Autism) is i don't have a "filter", so i usually just say something without thinking it first! now, i understand a lot ov people lack a "filter" (especially nowadays) but that's no excuse for the attitude they choose to use! it leaves a bad impression on the people surrounding them! i don't go out ov my way to be a racist (or anything related) online cuz' i know better! my parents didn't raise me to be a bad individual! i try my best to be a good person (despite my issues) and with my Christian faith to back me up, i want to be an inspiration to people! i want to give people confidence to move forward! i don't want people to think i'm some kind ov savior, i just want to do good things and be a good person! i hope you understand! :) 

anyway, i'm not going to fight people on here, for that is not my intention (and it's not how i was raised)! we're all humans! we all make mistakes! so, i'm sure you understand what i'm saying as i cannot be as clear as i am right now! let's be friends, not enemies! :)