Which sets are necessary to tell the BIONICLE story?

Max_Nui

Over the past decade I have told the Bionicle story many times to my friends. Recently, I have begun telling it in a similar fashion to how the turaga tell the stories to the matoran by using stones. I use my bionicle figures on a large table, and move them to different places on the table based on their location spiritually and physically as I tell the story (placing Vakama with Roodaka when he betrays his fellow toa, etc.).

However, I have struggled at times when I don't have specific sets, and I am forced to make due with the theater of the mind (showing my friends a picture of the character) and then imagining where they might be on the table.

I wanted to ask, which characters are integral, and which can be ignored. For example, having all the Toa Mata is pretty important, but perhaps having all the 2001 rahi is a bit excessive. I also am not concerned too much about story years that had movies, because I think the movies are adequate for the story telling purpose.

Here is my collection:

2001: Toa Mata(6), Muaka & Kane-Ra(2), Nui-Jaga(2), Nui-Rama(2), McToran(6), Turaga(6)

2002: Bohrok(6), Bohrok-Kal(6), Bohrok-Va(6), Boxor(2), Exo-Toa, Toa Nuva(6), Master Builder Set

2003: Takanuva & Ussanui, Makuta, Takua, Jaller & Gukko, Rahkshi(6), Matoran(Hahli, Macku, Hewkii)

2004: Toa Metru(6), Vahkii(6), Matoran(5, missing Vhisola)

2005: Toa Hordika(Nokama), Visorak(3), Shadowed One, Toa Hagah(2)

2006: Toa Inika(Matoro), Piraka(Vezok), GOOD GUY, Turaga Lhikan, Velika

2007: Toa Mahri(5, missing Kongu), Barraki(Kalmah and Pridak)

2008: Toa Phantoka(3), Makuta Phantoka(Chirox), Makuta Mistika(Gorast), Toa Ignika(missing ship), Av-Matoran(Tanma), Shadow Matoran (Gavla)

2009: Glatorian(Gresh, Mata Nui), Agori(Metus, Raanu, Berix)

2010: Since this is a repeat of last year's sets, I usually just use the (better) past sets.

Important Masks: Vahi(Orange), Ignika(painted Gold), complete set of 2001 Toa Masks(36)

Custom Mocs: Toa Helryx, MNOG Matoran(Takua, Kopeke, etc), Toa Nidhiki, Toa Tuyet

What sets do you all think I need to add? What is necessary? Let's assume that money isn't a factor, but I don't want to get unnecessary sets. For example, in regard to the Vahkii, I think a single set would suffice to represent the entire force. 

Edited by fabSheers

:m: :a: :x:    :n: :u: :i:

As far as essential characters I would add the 2006 Titans (at least Vezon and Brutaka).
Turaga Dume is also a fairly important figure I'd be remissed to leave out.
1 Toa Hagah and 1 Rahagah would be illustrative of Metru Nui's prime and it's eventual corruption.

I also like Sahmad's story as an epilogue but he obviously isn't vital to the main story. 

• Like 1

Jaller Inika looks like C-3PO and I hate it.

Rather than buying entire sets, why not just do the low-budget thing and print out small images of the characters, then use those in place of the Toa stones and stuff? Or maybe print pics of their masks and put them on a stand? Just something easier/cheaper than going through the trouble of getting an entire collection.

• Like 1

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

I mean if you want to tell the whole story you need every set. That is what stories based on toylines tend to do, gotta sell them all! ;)

But if you want just the highlights? I'd say examples of the main Toa teams and key Matoran (Toa Mata, Takua, Hahli, Jaller in the early years for example) and the key villains (Makuta, Bohrok, Rahkshi etc.) and you really are already on the way to completing the key story beats. Really the only gaps I can see in your collection are in 2009 where Ackar and Kiina would round out the cast, the finished Toa Mahri team with Kongu, the 2004 titans and the entirety of G2 since those are the most expensive sets on Bricklink and pain to collect after the fact. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

7 hours ago, Presto said:

As far as essential characters I would add the 2006 Titans (at least Vezon and Brutaka).
Turaga Dume is also a fairly important figure I'd be remissed to leave out.
1 Toa Hagah and 1 Rahagah would be illustrative of Metru Nui's prime and it's eventual corruption.

I also like Sahmad's story as an epilogue but he obviously isn't vital to the main story. 

I agree! Also, I was an idiot and forgot I own both toa hagah. I'll add those to my list.

6 hours ago, Sir Keksalot said:

Rather than buying entire sets, why not just do the low-budget thing and print out small images of the characters, then use those in place of the Toa stones and stuff? Or maybe print pics of their masks and put them on a stand? Just something easier/cheaper than going through the trouble of getting an entire collection.

I have used masks in the past, but I do like the idea of having the physical set. This is a long term goal that I probably won't achieve for many years. :D

5 hours ago, Xboxtravis said:

I mean if you want to tell the whole story you need every set. That is what stories based on toylines tend to do, gotta sell them all! ;)

But if you want just the highlights? I'd say examples of the main Toa teams and key Matoran (Toa Mata, Takua, Hahli, Jaller in the early years for example) and the key villains (Makuta, Bohrok, Rahkshi etc.) and you really are already on the way to completing the key story beats. Really the only gaps I can see in your collection are in 2009 where Ackar and Kiina would round out the cast, the finished Toa Mahri team with Kongu, the 2004 titans and the entirety of G2 since those are the most expensive sets on Bricklink and pain to collect after the fact. 

100% agree. What's your opinion on the Toa Inika? The only one I have currently is Matoro?

4 hours ago, Valendale said:

I would agree with the 2006 Titans, and also add the 2005 titans.

I think you would need the Barraki and maybe the rest of the 2008 Makuta.

Tbh, the Barraki are some of my favorite sets, and it's a shame I don't have them all. 2008 Makuta are super important as well.

I never got any of the Mahri, I got all the Inika. They're good... but very much clone sets and the rubber masks are a bit odd. Hindsight being 20/20, I'd say the Mahri were the better wave. But if you want to be a completionist, the Inika are still good. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

What jumped out to me was Metus. He's pretty important to the 09 story.

This is a pretty cool thing you do. Do you use the Toa Hordika minifigures to show Roodaka doing her own theatre in Shadow Play?

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

On 4/24/2020 at 10:12 PM, Master Inika said:

What jumped out to me was Metus. He's pretty important to the 09 story.

This is a pretty cool thing you do. Do you use the Toa Hordika minifigures to show Roodaka doing her own theatre in Shadow Play?

I have yet to acquire Roodaka, so it hadn't occurred to me yet. But, that absolutely sounds like a great idea. I used to have all 6 minifigures, but I've lost them throughout the years. Perhaps I'll dig them back up.

• 1 month later...

If I were you, I’d rather buy the main regular sets (not including the play sets, Voporak, Lesovikk, Karzahni, Vultraz, Mazeka, Skopio XV-1, Sahmad, Cendox, or Kaxium because they aren’t very relevant to the story, but I’d rather collect all sets in general to satisfy myself). That’s just my opinion.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)