The Bionicle Story Project: A New Look

Max_Nui

So, as a longtime fan of bionicle, I've had a deep desire to share the love with my friends who never experienced the story when they were younger. However, my friends don't always have the time or will to muddle through all the books, MNOG, and all the other bionicle media.

My solution was to create a series of PowerPoint presentations that present the story of bionicle. The presentations are meant to be used in conjunction with the physical sets, and the whole layout of the storytelling is designed to work in a similar way to how Turaga Vakama uses the stones in the Amaja circle.

Here's an example of how it works:

1. Slide #1 describes the village of Ta-Koro. The characters of Turaga Vakama and Jaller are introduced. The presenter brings those sets forward into the center of the table as he describes the characters and their relationships.
  2. Slide #2 describes the village of Ga-Koro. The inhabitants of Ta-Koro are moved aside, and replaced by Turaga Nokama and Macku.
  3. Etc.

It is still a work in progress, but I wanted to release what I've been working on to the community. I'm still working on adapting the slides to a wider audience, and I am completely ignorant of where I pulled many of the supplemental photos included in the slides from. Please let me know what you guys think, and please try these for yourself. Even retelling the story to friends who already know it can be a fun experience to remind us how truly epic these stories are.

Note: I only have 2001 and a selection of other Character Highlights available as of now. This list will be expanded very soon.

Here is the link to the Google Drive folder: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LbonT2t33sQjFXZBiaUtaEoykxFcx5dK

EDIT: Updated Link

Edited by fabSheers
Updated Link
  • Upvote 2

:m: :a: :x:    :n: :u: :i:

This is a neat idea - having sort of a cliff-notes version of the story and characters. Definitely seems like a way to get people interested in Bionicle.

If I could make a couple points of feedback:

1. The text could be cleaned up a bit. While there aren't many misspellings, almost everything is lowercase. Proper capitalization, while it may seem minor, would really make these look a lot more professional, and also make the writing clearer (especially to the uninitiated).

2. I'm not sure if you're aware, but you've used unofficial fan MOCs/designs for several characters/masks that don't have official appearances. That may have been intentional on your part just so you could have a visual for them, but I thought I'd point it out just in case.

I haven't looked through all of these yet, but I'll let you know if I notice anything else once I've gone over the rest. I do think this is an interesting project with a lot of potential, and you're off to a great start.

By the way, in case you aren't aware: for those friends that might have the time to read some of the Bionicle story, but not to put in the effort of figuring out/understanding what to read and in what order, Biological Chronicle is a compilation of the entire story in reading order - perfect for new readers. You can find it at https://crosswiredgeeks.com/biologicalchronicle/. Might be a good recommendation for those that get interested after seeing your slides!

• Upvote 2

sigbanner.gif

21 minutes ago, TuragaNuva said:

This is a neat idea - having sort of a cliff-notes version of the story and characters. Definitely seems like a way to get people interested in Bionicle.

If I could make a couple points of feedback:

1. The text could be cleaned up a bit. While there aren't many misspellings, almost everything is lowercase. Proper capitalization, while it may seem minor, would really make these look a lot more professional, and also make the writing clearer (especially to the uninitiated).

2. I'm not sure if you're aware, but you've used unofficial fan MOCs/designs for several characters/masks that don't have official appearances. That may have been intentional on your part just so you could have a visual for them, but I thought I'd point it out just in case.

I haven't looked through all of these yet, but I'll let you know if I notice anything else once I've gone over the rest. I do think this is an interesting project with a lot of potential, and you're off to a great start.

By the way, in case you aren't aware: for those friends that might have the time to read some of the Bionicle story, but not to put in the effort of figuring out/understanding what to read and in what order, Biological Chronicle is a compilation of the entire story in reading order - perfect for new readers. You can find it at https://crosswiredgeeks.com/biologicalchronicle/. Might be a good recommendation for those that get interested after seeing your slides!

Oof. Yeah, I forgot to embed the fonts into the Character Highlights section. That's what messes with the upper and lower case text. I'll edit those. I'm also going to change the link because Google Drive is giving me fits. Thank you for the suggestions!

Note: The fonts should be correctly embedded in the 2001 slides. Please let me know if they are not.

• Upvote 1

:m: :a: :x:    :n: :u: :i: