What's up with the Coliseum in Metru Nui's skyline?

So, in all the pictures I can find of Metru Nui's skyline, the coliseum is depicted as three segments next to each other. But in all the close-up pictures I can find of the Coliseum, it's always depicted as a single conical tower (although sometimes with small fins at the top).

Has this ever been addressed? Obviously, Bionicle has a habit of depicting the same objects/locations differently in different media; especially when it comes to central locations like Kini-Nui and the Coliseum. But it seems weird that all the skyline versions of the Coliseum are pretty much the same, and all the close-up versions of the Coliseum are pretty much the same... but the skyline and close-up versions don't really match at all.

Also, what is the skyline version of the Coliseum actually showing us? Are we seeing a central tower with two triangular pillars either side? Or are we seeing three triangular pillars and the one in the middle looks rectangular because we're seeing it from the front instead of the side? (And if that's the case, are there only three pillars or is there a fourth one hidden behind the central one?)

EDIT: The closest answer I can find to the latter question is that there are four pillars, based on the images from this post by Faber.

Edited by Distorted
  • Upvote 1

Well most of the long shots were used in advertising media, while the close ups came from Legends of Metru Nui and Web of Shadows. I just chalk it up to the fact that advertising was done mostly by Lego and Advanced (with a bit from Templar Studios), while the films were done through Creative Capers and Miramax... so they were different art teams working on it and came up with their own visual interpretation of how the structure looks. The DC comics design from 2004-05 also leans heavily into the film style compared to the skyline version. When we finally see the Coliseum again outside of the Metru Nui arc, its in the Ignition comics and like Turaga Dume's design it seems the comic book artist also took inspiration for the structure based off the film design and not the advertising design. 

Edited by Xboxtravis

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

That's always bugged me, too. Especially because, if the Coliseum is three towers, all three wouldn't be visible from six different directions. I'd ultimately chalk it up to creative license and take the LoMN version as the definitive version.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

This has bugged me too.  If there are 6 towers surrounding the main Coliseum, one facing each Metru, then the skyline might work out.  I’ll CAD something up and post screenshots to see if I am anywhere close to correct.  

~Daler

This prototype image of the Coliseum should give some insight into what's up with the different Coliseum art.

It appears that the main tower of the Coliseum was initially planned to be surrounded by six other towers, and the official Metru Nui skyline art is based on that concept. However, in other media the other towers weren't used, leading to this inconsistency in the design.

• Upvote 1

I kept the three in running Six Kingdoms, using them to represent the three matoran virtues of unity, duty, and destiny. I agree it's a little weird to have that cognitive dissonance, but I feel like so much of Bionicle is finding the parallels within the cognitive dissonance. @Daler99, I really like your MOC up. Wish I'd seen this thread in January. :P 

• Upvote 1

Happy chat.

• 4 months later...
On 5/18/2020 at 10:57 AM, Toatapio Nuva said:

This prototype image of the Coliseum should give some insight into what's up with the different Coliseum art.

It appears that the main tower of the Coliseum was initially planned to be surrounded by six other towers, and the official Metru Nui skyline art is based on that concept. However, in other media the other towers weren't used, leading to this inconsistency in the design.

That answers some questions, but the auxiliary towers look nothing like the skyline one. (Neither does the main tower for that matter.) They're way shorter and less steep. Plus, the side towers in the skyline are pointy. So if anything now there's three Coliseums.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

On 10/6/2020 at 10:03 PM, Master Inika said:

That answers some questions, but the auxiliary towers look nothing like the skyline one. (Neither does the main tower for that matter.) They're way shorter and less steep. Plus, the side towers in the skyline are pointy. So if anything now there's three Coliseums.

Even better if you look in a lot of Metru Nui concept art and official maps (in addition to that image where one is visible in Ta-Metru in the distance), each Metru seems to have their own mini-Coliseum. It makes me wonder if there was originally going to be a more competitive sports angle to Metru-Nui with the suggestion of one grand arena and six smaller arenas in each district. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!