Would G3 really be a good idea?

Would G3 really be a good idea?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would another bionicle reboot be a good idea? Kids today are for the most part very different than when we were young. I fear that a reboot would ruin bionicle by trying to put too much bathroom humor in it or have a weak plot in exchange for comedy so that they can capture modern kids attention. So what do you think, how could a reboot be successful and make fans and kids happy or how could it fail by overly pandering to the old fans or modern kids?

Edited by Alexander123

54 minutes ago, Alexander123 said:

Would another bionicle reboot be a good idea? Kids today are for the most part very different than when we were young. I fear that a reboot would ruin bionicle by trying to put too much bathroom humor in it or have a weak plot in exchange for comedy so that they can capture modern kids attention. So what do you think, how could a reboot be successful and make fans and kids happy or how could it fail by overly pandering to the old fans or modern kids?

Based on what happened with G2, I am worried that this will end up being the case. Bionicle might be unsalvageable that this point, due to the aforementioned reboot basically wrecking the reputation of the brand as a whole.

RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

I feel if we got G3 some of us who've been around since that first comic showed up in our mailboxes tucked into a Lego Mania would feel like we were caught in a bad relationship. 

In my opinion G2 wasn't actually for the older generation of fans, it was for the new fans with homage to the old fans. I would hope G3 makes itself completely separate, cut its own cloth, and didn't connect back with either G1 or G2. 

Edited by Unreliable Narrator
  • Upvote 1

Happy chat.

Honestly, no. The thing to remember about Bionicle is that it wasn't just another LEGO theme. It wasn't just the first time LEGO had tried to create a full story to go with a theme. It was a huge multimedia project told through video games, online content, comics, CDs packaged with sets later expanding into animations, films, books...the sheer amount of ambition poured into it was astonishing and unlike anything LEGO had ever done before. Their advertising campaign was enormous too with constant, large features in the LEGO Magazine (not to mention the free comic), skateboarding, Mcdonalds Happy Meal sets, they were pushing it incredibly hard.

Even the sets were something brand new - a whole new type of LEGO. We'd had Slizers and Roboriders before that, but Bionicle took everything good about those themes and made them new, different and completely its own. Bionicle was a huge thing for the LEGO company to try and do, not least because it was financially struggling. A huge amount of work went into the worldbuilding and how it was portrayed that I'm not convinced LEGO has even attempted since.

Unless LEGO are willing to put that much effort and energy into a revival and truly make Bionicle something new and special again, no reboot will be as good. And if LEGO are going to put that much effort into anything, I doubt it will be into a 20 year old twice-cancelled franchise.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

Well, I do need Bionicle back, and Lego sees that fans want it back, too. I believe there is a way to make a good G3. It should go back to the old roots of G1 as well as getting constraction back: 

1. $7 medium sets, starting with the Toa Mata in a modernized way. 
2. I have a hard time sorting out the antagonists, but if one of the Toa has a unique opponent, all Toa should. 
3. Use other characters from G1 and G2 rather than creating new ones. 
4. Less expensive prices. 
5. The Toa Kaita to come back. 
6. Right the wrongs that G1 and G2 had. 
7. Less parts to use. 

8. Good story-telling and character development. 
9. More combo models and alternate models. 
10. Give each significant and major character its description. 
11. The sets being promoted more and all sets should be equal to each in many ways. 
12. The characters look like themselves fro the past, but with modernized designs. 

Plus, some extras, like Makuta Teridax appearing in the first year as a set, a TV show, not like the Netflix one, a Ninjago one, like you know, having 13-26 22-minute episodes per story year-based season. That show should be 3-D animated, like Transformers: Prime, Hero Factory, and Bionicle: The Legend Reborn. In the TV show, make the characters look almost like their sets, similar to the Netflix show. Plus, have a good ending that doesn’t leave anything unresolved. The TV show would be the main source of the story. A theatrical movie or movie series would be nice, but not as a The Lego Movie. A Moana-animated or live action movie with a very good budget, like the Avengers. A Traveller’s Tale Lego video game that is like Marvel Super Heroes game in 2013, but with constraction figures. All of these media should not have many flaws in the animations or animation models. 

Of course, there’s G1 having a cliffhanger, so it’s best for it be finished in a written story for the older fans to read, like how Samurai a jack and Hey Arnold finally ended in 2017 after 13 years of unwanted hiatuses, while the new fans are interested in G3. Some modernized remasters of past Bionicle sets, which is like Ninjago’s Legacy sets. These are extra stuff, but yes. 

I am surprised that no one is being optimistic about Bionicle in this topic. I know that G2 isn’t the best thing, but we all need Bionicle back, and you know it. Nowadays, people praise G1 as always, and Bionicle is still remembered for its many great things, so I believe that there is a chance for Bionicle to come back. I hope that can happen in Bionicle’s 20th anniversary in 2021. Any popular franchises with strong fan bases like that can come back in a short time.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

The answer for me is simple: it depends on how they do it. If they have good art, good sets, and most importantly a good story, I'm in. Bring on G3. 

If they aren't going to put effort into it and are just doing it for a quick nostalgia cash-grab and a flimsy attempt to appeal to the younger generation that they did last time, I'm out. I think the G2 logic was "we'll appeal to the old fans of Bionicle and the kids for double the money!" which works...if you actually make the Bionicle to appeal to both of these groups, which can want two different things. They did the shallow story which might have sold a few sets, but that annoyed the old fans and gave a lot of complaints.

Then the Uniters were an attempt to appease all of the old fans that were complaining about the set aesthetic, and it backfired. It was clear that they were flailing around trying to please everyone and not knowing what they were doing. So it got canceled. 

Personally I think the only way G3 will happen is if the fans band together with Faber and Greg and negotiate with Lego. At least we know what we want and we are less likely to mess it up. 

• Like 1

you can call me boomie :D

I fall in the camp of somebody who really liked G2 for the most part. I have said the story before but I'll sum it up again, I was living abroad in Argentina from 2013-2015. As such, I missed out completely about the G2 announcement in 2014 and the hype machine being built for it. Literally my first interaction with G2 was in July 2015, entering the Lego store the day after I had returned from Argentina. I had been in South America two days prior, flown between two hemispheres and bounced from Atlanta Georgia to my home in Utah and was in the Lego store after all that with no clue what I was about to see. I literally turned the corner and there they were... Tahu, Gali, Pohatu, Kopaka, Onua and Lewa... all of them back on shelves staring at me. The last time I had bought any Bionicle set was the Barraki in 2007, but on that day I left the store with Tahu and the Protector of Water. It took a bit, but it soon had me hooked and I got all the Toa Masters, all the Protectors, most of my MOCs are Protector like builds based on G1 Matoran, I have most of the 2015 villains... in fact excluding Skull Skorpio and the Villain Polybag I almost have all the retail sets of 2015 now. 

In short... I was a Bionicle fan as a kid because of G1's launch in 2001. I am a Bionicle fan as an adult because of its return with G2 in 2015. 

As such, I really honestly can't despair the thought of another reboot because I know the impact the last one had on me. Do I think there are things Lego would need to do better on with a G3? Of course... Okoto had paper thin world building compared to Mata-Nui and it showed. I think Lego had underestimated the impact stuff like MNOG and the Comics had in helping G1 sale and how the lack of such detailed media for G2 (until the novels and comics started coming out literally months before cancellation) hobbled the line's growth. Also Okoto lacked a sense of mystery the original island had... a massive robot underneath the island there was not.

Are kids really different these days? I personally think kids are much the same as we were... its just the media around them that has changed. G1 was lucky to hit in the right spot, when other franchises like Pokemon were encouraging a "collect them all" attitude. The internet was still a novelty in 2001, as such bionicle.com and MNOG were unique and fascinating by virtue of being online. Lego if they wanted to launch a successful G3 would have to pay attention to what kids are in tune to now (I'm 26 years old, I can hardly pretend I know what that is anymore). I figure Ninjago spiritually has a lot of the same tropes and themes as Bionicle, so maybe Lego needs to better blend Ninjago's success lessons with what they learned in G1 to make a successful Bionicle return. 

Of course there is one unspoken option for Bionicle's return... a limited one. Maybe at the end of the day, Bionicle now occupies the same spot in Lego history as Classic Space, Pirates, Castle, etc. A treasured memory for a prior generation that is meant to be homaged and not brought back in full. We kind of are already seeing this happen... its well known by now that Takanuva was in early drafts for The Lego Movie 2. We have had Onua and the Legends of Mata Nui game cameo in a Hidden Side set. Sokoda's Ideas project seems like a viable contender for a one off set in honor of Bionicle... much like how the Mech Suit honored Classic Space, Barracuda Bay for classic Pirates, and how today's Haunted House 18+ reveal has tributes to Adventurers and Alpha Team. Even Ninjago City and the Docks managed to sneak in Bionicle, Exo-Force, Junkbot and even Galidor references. Maybe G3 isn't going to be a full on theme revival, but instead these ongoing limited tributes scattered here and there or a few small one off sets similar to Ninjago Legacy to make sure Tahu and Crew pop up on shelves every few generations. Lego constantly loves to play homage to old ideas... and maybe just maybe because of that the Legend of the Bionicle is not quite over yet. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I’d like to see Bionicle return under the right pretenses. There’s a lot of good ideas being thrown in this thread, but I’d like to add:

i’d like to see them stick to their roots. Make matoran that aren’t just placeholder villagers, make interesting lore with fun and unique characters, and hopefully come up with a unique new armor design that isnt so similar to Hero Factory. 

Edited by Wanderer
  • Like 1

Untitled.png.810206e4ceb9d1782fd46317df703580.png
:t:     :r:     :a:     :n:     :s:     :f:     :m_o:     :r:     :m: 

Just hearing G3 now makes me cringe. Bionicle was lightning in a bottle. Even if a new Bionicle were good, I wouldn't be able to properly enjoy it. No matter what Lego does now, I can't come home from school and play with it anymore.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!