Art Contest?

bonesiii

Hey, all. I wanted to ask you guys what you would like for the first General Art contest since we expanded to be focused on LEGO-in-general. One thing I want to make clear is that I want the first one to definately include LEGO System art, so minifigures, bricks, etc.I have noticed, though, that most topics in this forum are still Bionicle related, so perhaps we should have categories, one for Bionicle, HF, etc. Or perhaps we can pick a theme that would fuse the styles -- OR, maybe we SHOULD go all-out System just for this first one at least.What do you guys think?

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

as long as there are no ponies involved, im fine with a broad spectrum, lots of categories, but no big twists, because, like in some contests, like system based creations contest #1, I would have entered, but I couldn't find the "inspiration" that was manditory.

Edited by Bulik

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

I'm not sure there's enough activity for there to be multiple categories. Artwork isn't very active, and the last contest in BBC, which has higher activity, had less than twenty entries. Maybe it could have two (Bionicle-HF and System?), but I think more than that would split the entries too much.In Pohuaki's suggestions topics, it seemed like the idea of working in groups was well-received. That might be something to try out, but it could cut down the number of entries even more.

I'm not sure there's enough activity for there to be multiple categories. Artwork isn't very active, and the last contest in BBC, which has higher activity, had less than twenty entries. Maybe it could have two (Bionicle-HF and System?), but I think more than that would split the entries too much.

True, but keep in mind the fact that contests with esoteric subject matter never receive the amount of entries that more open-themed contests do. In my opinion, building any comic character is recondite for most patrons of BBC, and limiting it to the pages of DC history was even more strict.I don't think contest participation correlates with the amount of activity in any given forum. As long as it's advertised well on BZPower (come to the artwork side - we have cake contests), I don't see it as a problem. That being said, multiple categories may end up splitting a small field into tiny chunks, and that's not too smart.Anent the theme, I am no artist myself, but can appreciate the creative medium. I think a "fusion" contest would be interesting, requiring artists to combine System and constraction in some form. Going all-out System, as bonesiii proposed, would be highly interesting, but I'm just not sure that General Art, or even BZPower in general, has enough System artists (or artists that wish to depict System as opposed to BIONICLE/Hero Factory) to make such a contest feasible.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

A long while back, I once requested of a workshop-related contest, in which people can post their work in progress, get constructive criticism, and improve their work. There would be 1st place winners, but there is also secondary awards to those who improved the most, those who gave more valuable critiques, and those who acts like cheerleaders of sort.I'm up for fusion of style around a general theme. That way, people think more outside the box.

For the record, I like the idea of a more general theme, not something obscure.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Seeing as Bionicle is now over (more or less), then how about "Recreate your favorite scene/moment in the story?"Or we could do something like "War of the Worlds" where we see what happens when Bionicle meets Hero Factory or if Minifigures run into Constraction (characters meet, settings merge, etc). Ooh, or we could do a "merging" theme and combine at least two different Lego mediums into a single object or character.Then again, we could just do something really vague like... Dance fever! Your artwork must include dancing utilizing Lego elements (that sounds kinda challenging. XD).Eh... sorry if this isn't what you're looking for... An example of a past contest might help in what you want/don't want in this contest. Still, I like the idea of a fusion sort of contest - mix and match the Lego world in a nice little Frankenstein creature. ^^ (Or War of the Worlds)

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Alright, based on comments thus far, let's say, hypothetically, that we do a Fusion contest -- the art should involve both System and Bionicle/HF, like in a single creature or object or scene or something.Would that alone be enough of a theme for a contest? Or should we specify something more specific? I was kinda batting around the idea of landscapes in my head, including "battlescapes" or whatever else yall imagined within that wide theme. Or if yall have a better idea...

I personally vote to separate Bionilce/HF and LEGO art for a contest. (Please don't encourage fusing the styles). Why not just make a slightly narrowed down theme, but let us interpret it however we want? Even with the least broad theme out there, the creative possibilities are literally endless.A battlescape contest would be sweet. I'd enter that.

bzpsig.jpg

I personally vote to separate Bionilce/HF and LEGO art for a contest. (Please don't encourage fusing the styles).

Okay, noted. We could always do a fusion contest some other time, of course, but I want the first one since the downtime to be a crowd-pleaser if possible. :)

Why not just make a slightly narrowed down theme, but let us interpret it however we want? Even with the least broad theme out there, the creative possibilities are literally endless.A battlescape contest would be sweet. I'd enter that.

I was kinda of liking the idea of people drawing there favorite moment from the Bionicle/HF/Ninjago/OtherLegoTheme storyline.

How about this?Draw a battlescape (we would name the contest this) in any LEGO line -- it can be a favorite canon moment, or something you make up, with a short description of what it is -- and we will decide categories later based on how many entries of types we get.Possibly people could do fusions within that as well if they so choose, but I wouldn't set up a category for it beforehand. Reactions?Since there can be other favorite moments that aren't battlescapes, I can hold onto the idea to revisit in another contest later. I suspect a battle would be a better startoff since it's more dramatic. Edited by bonesiii

Battlescapes? That sounds like an awesome theme, and allowing all lego lines could bring some interesting results. I think the reason most people have stuck to bionicle art is that bionicle has much stronger characterization and a more continuous story, so there's iconic characters for people to be attached to. And well developed settings and species to work with. Since large scale battle scenes don't rely on individual characters as much, it seems like a good way to segue out of the rut.

How about this?Draw a battlescape (we would name the contest this) in any LEGO line -- it can be a favorite canon moment, or something you make up, with a short description of what it is -- and we will decide categories later based on how many entries of types we get.Possibly people could do fusions within that as well if they so choose, but I wouldn't set up a category for it beforehand. Reactions?Since there can be other favorite moments that aren't battlescapes, I can hold onto the idea to revisit in another contest later. I suspect a battle would be a better startoff since it's more dramatic.

Ehh, since it's been mentioned from the dawn of time on, we could just get it out of our systems.. I'm not partial to it, but this is still better than a mandatory fusion. I don't hate hero factory, but it's nowhere near as fun to draw as Bionicle stuff, mainly because there's no real established personalities, so what's the point of personifying their appearance? etc etc.

Battlescapes? That sounds like an awesome theme, and allowing all lego lines could bring some interesting results. I think the reason most people have stuck to bionicle art is that bionicle has much stronger characterization and a more continuous story, so there's iconic characters for people to be attached to. And well developed settings and species to work with. Since large scale battle scenes don't rely on individual characters as much, it seems like a good way to segue out of the rut.

But they can! There's a lot of room to wiggle, since a battle could potentially revolve around 2-3 characters, or a massive wave of minions, or an army vs a small group, or.. or.. *breathe* ...there's no real limit.By the way, where have you been, I missed you. :<

battlefields?nothing against that. better than fusions, IMO.I'm starting to get some good ideas for this......but of course, some catagories would be good to think of before this starts

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Ooh! What if we do "Draw a scene from your favorite Lego theme, but in a different style?" Like, say I want to draw my favorite scene from Bionicle, only I draw everything in the style of Hero Factory. Or, say, I'd draw Will Furno as a minifigure. That way we wouldn't mix multiple styles and still we'd be able to loop all of this into a single category (or separate them if need be depending on the number of entrees. Although, that's something I'm guessing you'd want to decide beforehand, huh? ^^' ). I like the battlefield idea... but I'm not sure it has enough razzle-dazzle (for a complete lack of a better term... razzle-dazzle is the only term I could think of to describe it. XD). Though, I wouldn't mind it as a theme. ^^

Well if you do System themes it could be rather fun. Such as replacing the Adventurers, Fright-Knights, Blacktron, Time-Cruisers, Rock Raiders, and so on with Bionicle or Hero Factory characters. It's close to the movie theme (or whatever other similar thing was had) though.There's such a small group now (hooray, close-knit family) that I don't see the requirements even having to be too strict, I mean, what, we're talking 25-ish entrees at max anyway or something? A contest might rouse previously silent members but I can't see us all getting too out of hand.

To start my post I'd just like to say that I'd rather have a Bionicle focused contest than a wider Lego themed contest. But, since Bones is not eager to do that, I'll continue with the premise of a Lego wide theme.Origins (Alternately titled: Recruiting): How did the Ninjago guys become Ninjas? What started the Rock Raiders raiding rocks? Etc, for Time Cruisers, Exo Force, and of course Bionicle.Across State Lines: Take a villain from one theme and insert him in another theme. Makuta in the Ninjago world, Xplode in the Bionicle world, Sam Sinister in the Hero factory world, etc.Finest Hour: Battle scenes, with a cooler name. :PI'll try and think up some more, I'll be checking back.

A long while back, I once requested of a workshop-related contest, in which people can post their work in progress, get constructive criticism, and improve their work. There would be 1st place winners, but there is also secondary awards to those who improved the most, those who gave more valuable critiques, and those who acts like cheerleaders of sort.

This sounds good to me.- 55555

For the record, the workshop idea sounds interesting, but also like a whole lot of work. I'll keep that idea in mind for later, depending on how much response there is to this one, but I'd rather not do it now. The nice thing about it beyond the obvious is it wouldn't require any specifics in terms of what the art would be, as long as it would fit in this forum, so it could have a lot of potential.

For the record, the workshop idea sounds interesting, but also like a whole lot of work. I'll keep that idea in mind for later, depending on how much response there is to this one, but I'd rather not do it now. The nice thing about it beyond the obvious is it wouldn't require any specifics in terms of what the art would be, as long as it would fit in this forum, so it could have a lot of potential.

My general theory of themes is that the theme should be just restrictive enough to give people ideas. If it's too general than people are uninspired.Theme Idea: Six of You Now, a hero outnumbered by foes.- 55555 Edited by 55555

Old vs New: What happens when Rock Raiders meet Power Miners? How does Tahu react to Will Furno? Who wins the battle; Ninjago or the ninjas that preceeded them?Olde Time Nostalgia: Bring your favorite discontinued theme back to life in a black and white photo (style of course, not an actual picture. Bonus points to top hats and over-the-top moustaches as well as monocles).Fine Dining: What does Lewa look like for his totally canon date with Kiina (could not resist the imagery. XD). Better example: How does Hahli prepare for her night out with Jaller Show your characters all dressed up for a fancy ball or gala type of celebration (they don't have to be human clothes like tuxedos or ball gowns, be creative).Actually, I'd be interested in the idea of "what would happen if romance became canon in the Bionicle universe" as a theme, but I can see how that would not be well recieved... ^^'Though, I do like your ideas, 55555 (especially Across State Lines).

Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Gales

Just want to drop by here and suggest that the staff take a look at this. It's an idea by Sumiki that would probably be really awesome. It would also probably make idea-scrounging a lot easier.

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

Why not a "Lego in real time"? Such as Tahu hanging out with Takanuva and friends, having a pizza, then going to the cinema? Or Gali going shopping with an exhausted Lewa helping her to carry bags and boxes? Or Matoran talking about last week's football match between Patriots and Broncos? Or trying to get out of the global economical crysis? Or stuff like that?----- Lord of the Rings -----Titles: Dark Lord, Lord of Mordor, Lord of Gifts, Lord of Barad-Dûr, Lord of the Earth

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, thanks for the feedback, everybody. I have officially decided on the battlescapes idea, with categories to be decided later based on entries, plus a twist I'll announce shortly. Look for the contest topic before this week is out. :)