Your own version of G2

Lenny7092

Hi, guys. This year is the 5th anniversary of G2, yet Lego is not celebrating it. I get that it’s good, but not as great as G1. It was very disappointing that G2 got cancelled after two years, and G3 or whatever return of Bionicle is not evident unless Faber declares it according to his 3IO and Biovival posts in Instagram. Even the future of The Amazing Spider-Man movies in 2012 and 2014 got cancelled sadly. 

Since G2 has some strange things in its time, let’s talk about this: what would be your own version of G2 that could improve it, something that you thought that G2 could’ve done? For me, well, here’s this: 

1. The sets would be less expensive and have less pieces, like in Bionicle’s 2001 storyline. 
2. The Toa Masters should look like CCBS versions of the Toa Mata, like their color schemes and weapons. Plus, replace the Toa Uniters with the Toa Nuva. Make their personalities similar to their G1 counterparts. 
3. Replace Jungle with Air. It’s not natural for Toa to switch elements. 
4. Replace the G2 exclusive characters with the G1 ones, like the Protectors with the Turaga and Ekimu with Artahka. However, we could have the G2 characters join for fun. 
5. Ekimu and Makuta would be the creations of the Great Beings and supporters to Artahka. 
6. Makuta would actually be Makuta Teridax in disguise. This would explain the shape-shifting. Plus, give Makuta his own set, both as a Mask Maker and Titan. 
7. Both halves of the Vahi being found and have a larger role. 
8. The Toa protecting their people more and getting trained by the Protectors more. 
9. Okoto would be on Aqua Magna while the Okotoans would be a sub-species of Agori with shorter life spans. 
10. Umarak would be created but the Great Beings and a member to the Dark Hunters. 
11. Umarak the Destroyer being defeated by the Toa. 
12. Fix up the designs of the sets, like the Protecters of Fire’s and Ice’s arms, the Lord of Skull Spiders, the Elemental Creatures, and the summer sets, like the Skull Creatures, the Elemental Beasts, and Umarak the Destroyer’s arms. Plus, make Uniter Onua’s arms and 2016 Ekimu’s arms look symmetrical. 
13. The Skull Creatures being once living people who died and then turned into living skeletons long ago. They are from another island. Plus, their real names to be revealed. 
14. Skull Slicer would be an immigrant in Okoto because he looks like that he is from another species. 
15. Each Toa to have its own 2015 corrupted Mask in both sets and story. Same with 2016 (well, I find the 2016 masks meaningless). Plus, each Toa to have its own Skull enemy and Elemental Beast to fight with. The Lord of Skull Spiders, Kulta, Axato, and Umarak don’t count. 
16. The story to be told through a TV show, like Ninjago, as it would have at least 10-13 22-minute episodes per season, and each season is based on a storyline. Have the show be on Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney Channel. The 2015 online animations and The Journey to One in Netflix are not worth it, thought my idea of a show can keep TJoO’s graphics, but make it look 3D, like Transformers: Prime, Bionicle: The Legend Reborn and Hero Factory, rather than 2D. Plus, get rid of those minor animation errors. Plus, use voice actors who are famous rather than those people that we don’t know.
17. Give the Mask of Ultimate Power its own set piece. 
18. Get rid of the Golden Mask of Skull Spiders and that Umarak Mask from 2016 Ekimu set. 
19. The Quake Beast should be an Earth Shadow Traps rather than a Stone one. That doesn’t make sense. 
20. Fix the colors schemes of some of sets. 
21. The origins of the characters beings explained more and more reasonably. 
22. The masks in general being more reasonable. 
23. Separate Uniter Kopaka and Melum as separate sets. Give Melum his own Shadow Trap to fight. 
24. Give the Toa Uniters their own Shadow Traps to fight. 
25. Instead of just those app games, Mask of Creation and Mask of Control, a console Traveller’s Tale video game would be nice. The game would be like the Lego Marvel Super Heroes game in 2013 and the characters would be constraction rather than minifigures. For the apps, improve them somehow and make them more reasonable, like giving all Toa in Mask of Creation their combo models, and put Elemental Beasts in Mask of Control and make it more reasonable. Plus, have all six Toa and the Elemental Creatures appear in the first version Mask of Control. Also, put 2016 Ekimu in Mask of Control. 
26. Beef up Agil and have him be available worldwide. 
27. Make the 2016 storyline just be about the Mask of Control and Umarak. 
28. The story needs a lot of improvements. G2 would continue at least three years as planned. The third storyline would be about Makuta getting freed from the Shadow Realm and unleash his minions on Okoto. Some of the minions would be new ones. The Toa Uniters return and then become the Toa Nuva while Ekimu would become a Titan. Takua would appear and become Takanuva as he will join the fight. The Mask of Time will have a big role in this while the storyline is primarily about Makuta and the Mask of Ultimate Power. Then, G2 would follow similar things from G1, so there would be G2’s own version of G1 versions, like the Toa Metru and Toa Inika, Glatorian and Agori, their allies, and villains. That would be beautiful if G2 could have that kind of future. 

For fun bonus: 

1. Vezon from G1 would visit G2 for a little bit before he would go somewhere else. 
2. To celebrate Bionicle’s 20th anniversary, there would be a TT Lego video game where the main heroes from G1 and G2 would have a crossover and go travel through all storylines to Velika and G2 Makuta, so they are twisting the storylines into their image. It’s like Turtles Forever in 2009 and Sonic Generations in 2011. 

So, there. It’s like wanting to improve the Spider-Man movies in 2012-2014, and there is a Sonic the Hedgehog fan who is working improving Sonic 2006. Even Bionicle: The Legend of Mata Nui is getting fixed. :)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

6 minutes ago, Lenny7092 said:

2. The Toa Masters should look like CCBS versions of the Toa Mata, like their color schemes and weapons. Plus, replace the Toa Uniters with the Toa Nuva. Make their personalities similar to their G1 counterparts. 

Well I thought they did. :P That is why I bought each Masters set.

Also the Vezon thing, I totally have Vezon in my headcanon hopping into G2. It might have seen gratuitous if it was a major story point in G2, but it would have been fun for a little short story or side adventure to have that cameo "Hey its me, Vezon!"

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2020 at 2:29 PM, Xboxtravis said:

Well I thought they did. :P That is why I bought each Masters set.

Also the Vezon thing, I totally have Vezon in my headcanon hopping into G2. It might have seen gratuitous if it was a major story point in G2, but it would have been fun for a little short story or side adventure to have that cameo "Hey its me, Vezon!"

Well, they should looked simpler and have the exact same weapons, like the Toa Mata. Think about how the Sonic the Hedgehog movie in this year happened with Sonic’s new design that people loved.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally think G2's biggest story problem was its lack of interesting villains.

The Skull Spiders were an attempt to re-do the Rahi from 2001 but it didn't work as well because the Rahi were all unique in appearance, personality, and environment - the skull spiders were all small and samey, except for the big skull spider (but there was only one). Then they had a bunch of generic skeletons, and then shadow people.

The Bohrok and the Bohrok-Kal might have all been clone sets, but they were all interesting story components which is why people bought the sets. The Bohrok had elemental powers that posed a serious and symmetrical challenge to the Toa, and the Bohrok-Kal were an assymetrical opponent because they had non-elemental powers. While the Skull Army and the Shadow Horde are objectively better sets, their characters aren't as interesting. The Bohrok-Kal had real personality. The original Bohrok did not, but they instead had a mysterious hive mind whose initial motivations were unclear and only revealed later, in the form of another set: the Bahrag Queens, leaders of the Bohrok. The same could be said about the Rahkshi and Makuta (later named "Teridax").

If your heroes don't have a noteworthy challenge to overcome, you haven't written a noteworthy story. Okoto was interesting. The Protectors and Masters were interesting. The bad guys weren't.

• Upvote 1

"Kai... Nireta... the other six Kakama-wearers... yep, Ga-Koro's all here!"

ga-koro.thumb.JPG.c6b34593c87ad060d441b9de302f3dd0.JPG

On 8/5/2020 at 3:05 PM, Hahli, the Chronicler said:

I personally think G2's biggest story problem was its lack of interesting villains.

The Skull Spiders were an attempt to re-do the Rahi from 2001 but it didn't work as well because the Rahi were all unique in appearance, personality, and environment - the skull spiders were all small and samey, except for the big skull spider (but there was only one). Then they had a bunch of generic skeletons, and then shadow people.

The Bohrok and the Bohrok-Kal might have all been clone sets, but they were all interesting story components which is why people bought the sets. The Bohrok had elemental powers that posed a serious and symmetrical challenge to the Toa, and the Bohrok-Kal were an assymetrical opponent because they had non-elemental powers. While the Skull Army and the Shadow Horde are objectively better sets, their characters aren't as interesting. The Bohrok-Kal had real personality. The original Bohrok did not, but they instead had a mysterious hive mind whose initial motivations were unclear and only revealed later, in the form of another set: the Bahrag Queens, leaders of the Bohrok. The same could be said about the Rahkshi and Makuta (later named "Teridax").

If your heroes don't have a noteworthy challenge to overcome, you haven't written a noteworthy story. Okoto was interesting. The Protectors and Masters were interesting. The bad guys weren't.

I point to two big issues in worldbuilding in G2 and that is one of them. I think the Skull Villains once built in hand, are actually really great sets; they are all unique and certainly are fun to build and play with. But... compared to the Bohrok they lack the same story punch. The Skull Villains as depicted in most media really had about the excitement of punching any skeleton warrior in any generic RPG game. The Bohrok felt alien, they were remorseless and ruthless. Their lair was insectoid, they were a swarm and something about them made the audience feel uneasy as they read the comics and watched the animations, the Bohrok were truly other. As the years went on and the mythology of G1 was slowly peeled back we got to see the Bohrok in a new light, eventually realizing that they had noble goals and were as critical as the Toa in the journey to re-awaken the Great Spirit. It was certainly a cool bit of story, and kudos to Lego for nailing the use of the Bohrok in 2002 in particular. 

The second issue I take up with G2 is the lack of life in the villages. MNOG was a story set from the villager's point of view, and it humanized the Matoran life style and highlighted why they needed to be saved from Makuta. The Toa were greater heroes once we knew what they were defending. It was a mistake to release the Protector's without proper names, as "Protector of Fire" and "Protector of Ice" dehumanized the supporting cast.

I think a lot of credit has to be given to Ryder Windham and his novels for G2, I think he tried to fix the issues. The Skull Warriors in his book became an ancient un-dead Pirate gang lead by Kulta the Skull Grinder. The six Protectors were given real names, and in a subversion of the tropes of G1 we found out that in G2 the Protector of Earth was a woman named Korgot. There were archaeologists such as Harvali, and stories of ancestors and families. It seems Ryder understood G2 was lacking in world building, and he was trying to flesh out the universe Okoto sat in and make it come alive more like G1's had. I think though that unfortunately Ryder's work was to little to late. Since so few people read the novels compared to the primary media (online animations and the Netflix show) it meant that the world building work Ryder had done had little impact on the rest of G2's story and couldn't help make the line more appealing in time to save it from cancellation. 

• Like 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

On 8/6/2020 at 10:05 PM, Xboxtravis said:

I point to two big issues in worldbuilding in G2 and that is one of them. I think the Skull Villains once built in hand, are actually really great sets; they are all unique and certainly are fun to build and play with. But... compared to the Bohrok they lack the same story punch. The Skull Villains as depicted in most media really had about the excitement of punching any skeleton warrior in any generic RPG game. The Bohrok felt alien, they were remorseless and ruthless. Their lair was insectoid, they were a swarm and something about them made the audience feel uneasy as they read the comics and watched the animations, the Bohrok were truly other. As the years went on and the mythology of G1 was slowly peeled back we got to see the Bohrok in a new light, eventually realizing that they had noble goals and were as critical as the Toa in the journey to re-awaken the Great Spirit. It was certainly a cool bit of story, and kudos to Lego for nailing the use of the Bohrok in 2002 in particular. 

The second issue I take up with G2 is the lack of life in the villages. MNOG was a story set from the villager's point of view, and it humanized the Matoran life style and highlighted why they needed to be saved from Makuta. The Toa were greater heroes once we knew what they were defending. It was a mistake to release the Protector's without proper names, as "Protector of Fire" and "Protector of Ice" dehumanized the supporting cast.

I think a lot of credit has to be given to Ryder Windham and his novels for G2, I think he tried to fix the issues. The Skull Warriors in his book became an ancient un-dead Pirate gang lead by Kulta the Skull Grinder. The six Protectors were given real names, and in a subversion of the tropes of G1 we found out that in G2 the Protector of Earth was a woman named Korgot. There were archaeologists such as Harvali, and stories of ancestors and families. It seems Ryder understood G2 was lacking in world building, and he was trying to flesh out the universe Okoto sat in and make it come alive more like G1's had. I think though that unfortunately Ryder's work was to little to late. Since so few people read the novels compared to the primary media (online animations and the Netflix show) it meant that the world building work Ryder had done had little impact on the rest of G2's story and couldn't help make the line more appealing in time to save it from cancellation. 

It would have been nice if people who made G2 could have read the G1 more, but I like that the Protectors’ species has not gender-locking idea because they are not Matoran. They’re organic people, like Agori. It’s very disappointing that G2 never had a similar TV show like HF that would be a primary story source. The online animations are just weird and rushed, and the Netflix show is kind of cheap in some ways, like being on Netflix. The sets are overly bulky and pricey. Not every Toa has its own thing, like a Skull Creature or Elemental Beast. I see that Ryder was trying to expand things, but everything was tumbling down horribly, way worse than how HF prematurely cancelled. 

Plus, the Mask of Time thing was never resolved because there is the other half being somewhere unknown. Pitiful. :(