Crazy Idea: what if Lego started making comic books?

Alexander123

I know its almost impossible but what if Lego made their own comic book company? Tjey could have ongoing series on their current original themes like Ninjago, Hidden Side, and Monkie Kid. Then they could do limited series and one shots of past lego themes like Exo Force, Bionicle, Hero factory, Chima, etc. Well what do you think do you think Lego comic books would be successful?

While I do think comics about Lego series would have their fans, I don't think they would have enough support to be successful. At least not successful enough for Lego to make a profit from them. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

22 hours ago, Toa Smoke Monster said:

While I do think comics about Lego series would have their fans, I don't think they would have enough support to be successful. At least not successful enough for Lego to make a profit from them. 

Yes. I believe TV shows and online stories would be more beneficial if you ask me. Exo-Force was victimized for having an incomplete because people had to follow a comic book issue. Quite pitiful. 

Graphic novels could work, but Bionicle failed to have the tenth and eleventh ones if you ask me as well. Also pitiful. :(

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Comics are a relatively niche audience these days, and aside from the 2000s micro revival with Homestuck and xkcd (and anime/manga) are largely products of an antiquated and bygone era. They are more the purview of academia than pop culture at this point. 

A Bionicle comic line would have about at much success at this point as publishing the entire story as a series of epic poems.

65CADFB1-71A6-4834-9873-A0688218AE4A.jpeg.294e0981febcdee92eac3ac1b59f4caa.jpeg

On 5/30/2020 at 11:59 PM, Voltaire Rousseau said:

Comics are a relatively niche audience these days, and aside from the 2000s micro revival with Homestuck and xkcd (and anime/manga) are largely products of an antiquated and bygone era. They are more the purview of academia than pop culture at this point. 

A Bionicle comic line would have about at much success at this point as publishing the entire story as a series of epic poems.

I think your post left me with a conclusion you did not intend: that LEGO should publish a series of BIONICLE epic poems.

• Like 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

22 hours ago, Master Inika said:

I think your post left me with a conclusion you did not intend: that LEGO should publish a series of BIONICLE epic poems.

While this proposition would be not entirely out of the question, I personally cannot begin composition of a Bionicle epic poem without evoking comedy. For example, the quintessential beginning...

Gathered friends, listen again to our legend of the Bionicle...

Jaller: AGAIN! We did G1 already and it lasted for ten long years, and then G2 happened, and now we are telling the legend of the Bionicle again! 

In the time before time...

Nuju: Time cannot begin, because time defines beginning and ending! Chirp Chirp whistle SQUEAK!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My apologies, for I have digressed. I am a much more skilled comics writer than poetry composer, as this brief example illustrates. To begin a Bionicle epic poem, one would need to find a new entry point than the traditional beginning. In addition, one would have to evade the proliferation of scientific fact and lore that pervaded the later years. Said lore provides more opportunities to render Vakama's speech absurd, which I will not bore you with here.

Poetry is the "spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings" from those who have "thought long and deeply", to quote William Wordsworth from the Preface to Lyrical Ballads.   Bionicle has a cold, robotic core that feels slightly off in comparison to the Odyssey - the elemental robot part of it (and by extension, the toy part of it) limits the depth of emotion and meaning it can naturally convey without resorting to absurdity.

My comparison to poetry was merely on the level of pop culture and marketing, as opposed to composition. Comics have been produced for Bionicle in the past, and they would be easy to compose again. Poetry would present more obstacles. These obstacles would not be prohibitive to a skilled writer, however. If anyone wishes to overtake the task, I wish them the very best of fortune in their endeavor.

Edited by Voltaire Rousseau
wrong William poet from England in the Romantic period. Fixed.

5 hours ago, Alexander123 said:

I tried this once. I started a fanfiction called "The Epic of Tajun" about Tajuns ancient founding. I did not get that far though.

I am sure that it was indeed excellent and worthy of continuing. Perhaps the organic world of Spherus Magna would lend itself more to poetic genres.