Comics Contest Suggestions

Ziko

Since it hasn't been suggested already, I'll throw in my two cents.Before the Dataclysm (2.0), Shadonix, myself, and some other comic makers were planning a comic contest based on the basketball "March Madness." Here's the catch. Not only would the competing comic makers have their comics showcased anonymously, they would be using prefabricated characters and possibly backgrounds. To go a step further, they could also be assigned scenarios to execute their comic in.This way, the contest wouldn't be tipped in the favor of more popular characters and the competitors would have a chance to test their flexibility and would win purely through their comic-making skills.So, in effect, two comic makers would square off, and then the "audience" would vote for their favorite comic. Comic with the most votes win, and the winner moves a place up the bracket, to face the next winner and so on until a winner is ultimately declared. The identities of the competitors would be revealed ONLY after they have either been eliminated or are declared the winner. The competitors are also not allowed to reveal their identities or hint at which contestant they are.Just my two cents.

Since it hasn't been suggested already, I'll throw in my two cents.Before the Dataclysm (2.0), Shadonix, myself, and some other comic makers were planning a comic contest based on the basketball "March Madness." Here's the catch. Not only would the competing comic makers have their comics showcased anonymously, they would be using prefabricated characters and possibly backgrounds. To go a step further, they could also be assigned scenarios to execute their comic in.This way, the contest wouldn't be tipped in the favor of more popular characters and the competitors would have a chance to test their flexibility and would win purely through their comic-making skills.So, in effect, two comic makers would square off, and then the "audience" would vote for their favorite comic. Comic with the most votes win, and the winner moves a place up the bracket, to face the next winner and so on until a winner is ultimately declared. The identities of the competitors would be revealed ONLY after they have either been eliminated or are declared the winner. The competitors are also not allowed to reveal their identities or hint at which contestant they are.Just my two cents.

I give my personal blessing to this.as if it matters

It is a possibility! Here is a potential schedule using that kind of contest.I am assuming the contest will be held in February (nowhere near definite), and let's say I am assuming 16 entries, which is probably generous.February 1st - 15th: Entry Period[15th - 22nd: "pre-entry"/revision period (still undecided about this!)]Assuming no revision period, then:16th-19th: Round 1.Poll 1:

• [*]12 vs. 15[*]5 vs. 9[*]11 vs. 16

Poll 2:

• [*]7 vs. 13[*]6 vs. 10[*]4 vs. 8

Poll 3:

• [*]2 vs. 3[*]14 vs. 1

20th-23rd: Round 2.Poll 1:

• [*]15 vs. 5[*]11 vs. 7[*]10 vs. 4

Poll 2:

• [*]2 vs. 1

24th-27th: Round 3.Poll 1:

• [*]5 vs. 11[*]10 vs. 1

28th-March 1st (leap year right?): Final Round, FIGHTPoll 1:

• [*]5 vs. 10

It's not perfectly randomized, but oh well. Examples are examples.I had assumed that such a setup would extend the contest too long; certainly, it would run longer than one using traditional polls. But taking up the entire month isn't too bad, is it?I might have to scrap this whole "revision period" thing, gah.

Edited by -Windrider-

Do I read talk about a spriting competition in the future? :biggrin: ??Don't worry about inactivity, if I figure out how to actually post things in topics I'll be posting 20ish kits I've been working on for the past 2 years. :biggrin:-Back on topic-I agree very much about the anonymous entries and random set of characters. Still not fond of the poll, rather have judges... Meh.Hope this idea works out, I'd love to see a comic contest.-Soran

soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

I don't think an "anonymous" contest would work well. Even if people are using the same base, there are people in the forum with distinct styles, especially some of the authors known for their graphics. Even if people had to use, say, the same sprites (which would cut out hand-drawn entries), I think some of those styles could still come through. I think it was NR and Gavla that wrote comics for each other on April Fool's Day once (without telling people at first), and one could tell who had made the comics by effect differences and the way the text was styled. Submitting entries and trying to minimize those left on Brickshelf galleries could be a hassle, too, although that wouldn't be as big a deal.

Edited by Ziko

It is a possibility! Here is a potential schedule using that kind of contest.I am assuming the contest will be held in February (nowhere near definite), and let's say I am assuming 16 entries, which is probably generous.It's not perfectly randomized, but oh well. Examples are examples.I had assumed that such a setup would extend the contest too long; certainly, it would run longer than one using traditional polls. But taking up the entire month isn't too bad, is it?I might have to scrap this whole "revision period" thing, gah.

What if you had the comic makers that advance make a new comic for each round of voting? In an MOCing contest I participated in that's how they did it. This would admittedly make the process longer, but probably more epic.I'm not sure about the idea of everyone using the same characters. Would people enjoy using characters that they didn't invent themselves? However, making people use new characters could be a good idea, not allowing them to use any characters that they have used previously.- 55555

As I said in the Art Contest topic: Just want to drop by here and suggest that the staff take a look at this. It's an idea by Sumiki that would probably be really awesome. It would also probably make idea-scrounging a lot easier.

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

I don't think an "anonymous" contest would work well. Even if people are using the same base, there are people in the forum with distinct styles, especially some of the authors known for their graphics. Even if people had to use, say, the same sprites (which would cut out hand-drawn entries), I think some of those styles could still come through. I think it was NR and Gavla that wrote comics for each other on April Fool's Day once (without telling people at first), and one could tell who had made the comics by effect differences and the way the text was styled.

True. But the April Fool's Day gag does bring up an idea.What if the comic makers were assigned characters from other comic series?Just thinking out loud.

How about a MNOLG Style comic series, like Takuma Nuva did back in the day. I'm working on one myself, but only for the sake of there being a MNOLG style series. I wouldn't need to if there was a contest to make one :P

This. It would allow both hand-drawn and sprite makers to participate while offering a scarcely-used scenario.Here's my thoughts: We should have a guest comic contest where all willing members would sumit their comic to be guest-drawn by another comic maker for a single entry. (The entries would not be posted in the original comic's topic unless approved by the maker, naturally.) All entries would be submitted to the polls, and whoever could emulate the other comic's feel and style without sacrificing their own would be voted up.I'm not sure that came out as clear as I hoped. Basically let comic makers randomly draw another's comic as their entry. That way it would introduce lesser-known artists to the moguls of the forum and allow the larger names to become acquainted with previously-unexplored ideas or styles. Edited by Kakaru

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

Okay, I have discussed the biggest issues with Ziko. If you haven't figured it out already, Ziko will be my co-host. He's just that awesome, you know?In order to keep discussion on track, I will now post our "definites"; issues upon which we have reached a consensus, mostly having to do with the contest structure. We are both in agreement that, for this first contest, simpler is better. We will definitely try out one of the more adventurous ideas in this topic the next time around.What is definite:Themes:The theme will not restrict any media; any and all comics will be welcome. This leads to the next point:Entries:All entries will be considered equal in this contest; therefore, there will be no separate categories. This is based on the fact that there will most likely not be enough entries for this to be feasible, and on Pohuaki's insight from his past experiences.Voting:Voting will be done in polls. This is to involve all of BZPower; I will get the polls publicity by whatever methods I can.Poll Structure:With apologies to Darcsyde, for this contest, the traditional poll structure will be used. There will, however, be a couple of twists thrown in, so look forward to them. And yes, they are secrets. :PWhat is not definite:Entry period length: I am aware that the standard entry period has been two weeks for most other Art Contests; however, I am quite certain everyone would benefit from a longer one. I am thinking three weeks, as a sort of middle ground between the lengths of BBC contests and those of Library contests. We are open to suggestions, though!The theme:Here is a hopefully accurate list of the suggested themes:

• [*]Christmas theme[*]Catastrophe twist theme (2012-related disaster?)[*]Sports theme[*]Four seasons theme

FVFS.gif(I wish)

• [*]War theme[*]Panel limit theme[*]Death twist theme[*]"Quest for the Masks" theme[*]Downtime theme (inbefore 180 blank panels)[*]Dramatic tension theme[*]"Anonymous" theme (either working with a chosen series, or emulating an original comic)[*]MNOLG theme

I am honestly not sure how Ziko and I will choose the theme. Popular vote? Darts and a dartboard?

Edited by -Windrider-
haha oops!

I think a few of these themes can be entirely eliminated.

• [*]Christmas theme: Christmas is not entirely relevant in February, and I believe something like this was done with the Comics Advent Calendar recently.[*]Sports theme: Unsupported and I think not a good idea. Many people are not very interested in sports and the range of possible jokes may be too limited.[*]Four seasons theme: Eliminated.[*]Panel limit theme: Not very thematic, uninspiring.

I'd recommend the following 8 themes be considered as the only existing options:

• [*]War theme[*]Catastrophe twist theme (2012-related disaster?)[*]Death twist theme[*]"Quest for the Masks" theme[*]MNOLG theme[*]Downtime theme (in before 180 blank panels)[*]Dramatic tension theme[*]"Anonymous", Work-within-chosen-series, or emulate-an-original-comic (Should be considered one theme for now. If chosen details then can be worked out.)

Trying to simplify the theme selection process for ya.And I have to say Wind & Ziko, I whole heartedly approve of your handling of this so far.- 55555

Hm.I like the anonymous idea, but I don't know why. Maybe because it simply levels the playing field for all concerned?Maybe mixing he anonymous idea with the Preset character idea, and have a setup all made for the backgrounds and the characters personalities.

I have a bit of an outlandish idea, but hear me out. :PWhat if the contest was based around who could create the most entertaining story? To start out, the authors would create a (short) comic that introduces their story, and people would vote on their favorite comics (kind of like the idea you're presenting). However, after the first voting round, the remaining contestants would have to create another comic continuing the story. The people would then be able to vote less on how humorous a comic is or how good the author is at using Photoshop, and instead vote based on how good the author is at creating an entertaining story. :)This would cause some problems, I understand, but it's just another idea. Voting on a winner based on just one comic would be difficult, because you can't really tell how good a comic author is based on one comic.

oniban.png

I have a bit of an outlandish idea, but hear me out. :PWhat if the contest was based around who could create the most entertaining story? To start out, the authors would create a (short) comic that introduces their story, and people would vote on their favorite comics (kind of like the idea you're presenting). However, after the first voting round, the remaining contestants would have to create another comic continuing the story. The people would then be able to vote less on how humorous a comic is or how good the author is at using Photoshop, and instead vote based on how good the author is at creating an entertaining story. :)This would cause some problems, I understand, but it's just another idea. Voting on a winner based on just one comic would be difficult, because you can't really tell how good a comic author is based on one comic.

A contest is not necessarily about who has the most skill, it's more about who came up with the best entry.That said, this theme sounds like it could be good.

On another note with the whole "someone dies" idea I had: if you want a comedic twist to it, try having a punchline as the theme. The comic that best works with that gets the prize/title/etc.

The same punchline might become repetitive.- 55555

The punchline doesn't have to be a specific one. The theme can just be that somebody dies, and at the end of the comic there has to be a punchline related to the death of that character.

Then the theme wouldn't be about the punchline, it would just be about someone dying. If the comic is about a character dying, then odds are that the punchline would involve it, too. :P
oniban.png

I think a war theme where we've all got different roles in the war would be interesting....I will punch the first person to say Civil War already does this. :P

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

All right, serious post time.It is highly likely that this contest will take place in February, which is approaching us rather quickly. As such, it is time to start closing in on a theme. I am going to consider putting the suggested themes to a popular vote, but it is also possible that Ziko and I will discuss it behind the scenes and wind up sending each other thirty PMs before we reach a conclusion.

I personally would be against a theme the forces the comic maker to make a humorous comic. Atleast not for the first contest.

Yes; Ziko and I would like for the contest to require more "serious" entries. That is not to say, however, that there cannot be any instances of humor in the comics. A joke or one-liner would be perfectly fine, but the stories should have some tension that either is or is not resolved satisfactorily in the dénouement. Well, what exactly that all means will depend on the theme, and I will be sure to include an explanation in the contest topic.Perhaps a better way to put it is that the comics should focus on storyline and character development rather than humor, especially "random" humor. They should be, indeed, a story. Whether or not the story will be lugubrious will depend on the theme. There is a "death twist" theme still under consideration, for instance.

It certainly is quite the idea, and with some tweaks I think it could work, as much as I think we are going to stick to the traditional contest structure this time. I am having difficulty imagining what the best way to set things up would be. When the authors are to create the continuation of the story, do they make a separate file, or add on to the original image? I think it would have to be the former, because if the final poll presented just one image for each comic, it would prompt voters to vote for the overall best comic, and not consider the theme of continuation, just like in a regular contest. Nor could you present only the second half of the comics in the final poll, for then it would turn into a game of "vote for the best second half."I am trying to think of possible issues, then, with the obvious solution to structure the final poll so that it shows both the first and second halves of the stories, side-by-side. If I reach, I could, probably, also find some theory about voter psychology, but I think that would just be silly. Well, anyway, I see your own theory is that "you can't really tell how good a comic author is based on one comic." I do see what you are getting at: you want to emphasize storytelling, which is a goal of mine, too. However, I think you can get authors to tell a compelling story just as satisfactorily using only one comic. This would also eliminate some confounding variables that inevitably pop up in your structure: how well an author can incorporate feedback, whether or not the author received any useful feedback, success in promoting the second half of the story, how well the author did in the first poll relative to the other finalists. You could offer this rebuttal, however: to eliminate the first three confounders, simply do not allow any entry topics (and pray the authors do not receive any CC in PMs). That would be quite the bold move on my part, to be sure. I'm not sure I and BZPower are ready for that!

I think a war theme where we've all got different roles in the war would be interesting....I will punch the first person to say Civil War already does this. :P

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "where we've all got different roles." If you are suggesting, however, that we all meet up in a grassy field, tape our comic entries to our faces, and enact a battle royale to determine the winner, then we are definitely doing it. Edited by -Windrider-

It certainly is quite the idea, and with some tweaks I think it could work, as much as I think we are going to stick to the traditional contest structure this time. I am having difficulty imagining what the best way to set things up would be. When the authors are to create the continuation of the story, do they make a separate file, or add on to the original image? I think it would have to be the former, because if the final poll presented just one image for each comic, it would prompt voters to vote for the overall best comic, and not consider the theme of continuation, just like in a regular contest. Nor could you present only the second half of the comics in the final poll, for then it would turn into a game of "vote for the best second half."I am trying to think of possible issues, then, with the obvious solution to structure the final poll so that it shows both the first and second halves of the stories, side-by-side. If I reach, I could, probably, also find some theory about voter psychology, but I think that would just be silly. Well, anyway, I see your own theory is that "you can't really tell how good a comic author is based on one comic." I do see what you are getting at: you want to emphasize storytelling, which is a goal of mine, too. However, I think you can get authors to tell a compelling story just as satisfactorily using only one comic. This would also eliminate some confounding variables that inevitably pop up in your structure: how well an author can incorporate feedback, whether or not the author received any useful feedback, success in promoting the second half of the story, how well the author did in the first poll relative to the other finalists. You could offer this rebuttal, however: to eliminate the first three confounders, simply do not allow any entry topics (and pray the authors do not receive any CC in PMs). That would be quite the bold move on my part, to be sure. I'm not sure I and BZPower are ready for that!
Now that I think about it, you're right in that someone could tell a compelling story in one comic, as compared to two. And if the comics are going to be serious, then that would be the emphasis anyways. So yeah, carry on with the idea of having the contest centered around having plot-based comics.That being said, I wouldn't include any topics that excessively limit someone's abilities, such as the idea of having to use specific characters. The idea of centering it around a character's death would be good, and so would the war theme. So yeah, that's my two cents. :)
oniban.png

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "where we've all got different roles." If you are suggesting, however, that we all meet up in a grassy field, tape our comic entries to our faces, and enact a battle royale to determine the winner, then we are definitely doing it.

I am so sigging this. :PWhat I had meant by roles was, uh, roles. Like one person details working as a medic, another one is a prison guard, etc.

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

I am so sigging this. :PWhat I had meant by roles was, uh, roles. Like one person details working as a medic, another one is a prison guard, etc.

Oh, I understand now. I am not a clever person sometimes. I can see its working out, I am pretty sure.Also, I think this is the first time I have ever been quoted in someone's sig on BZPower. :3

QUICK EVERYONE PUT ONE OF WINDRIDER'S POSTS IN YOUR SIGNATURE GO GO GOI'm all for Oni's idea, but It'd take too much time to work out all the kinks. Maybe next time.Honestly I still like my anonymous idea but for the sake of whatever I'm going to say we really need a serious theme. Most of the comics around here have settled for complacency with humour and this would definitely throw them off their stride, effectively putting everyone on level ground.

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

Don't limit the contest to serious or humorous. It's rather limiting for some and it would give others a big advantage. The downside of a serious comic is that it's usually much linger because it needs to be developed at a good pace to have maximum impact whereas humor(this I would prefer limiting to wit and not slapstick) doesn't need as much. If you want a challenge, incorporate both EFFECTIVELY.

billiard_banner.png
(~ O ~)

Don't limit the contest to serious or humorous. It's rather limiting for some and it would give others a big advantage. The downside of a serious comic is that it's usually much linger because it needs to be developed at a good pace to have maximum impact whereas humor(this I would prefer limiting to wit and not slapstick) doesn't need as much. If you want a challenge, incorporate both EFFECTIVELY.

Incorporating both would give people doing comedic comics a huge advantage, though. People doing humorous comics would be finished much earlier and would be able to have much more time revising, if what you say is true.
oniban.png

Incorporating both would give people doing comedic comics a huge advantage, though. People doing humorous comics would be finished much earlier and would be able to have much more time revising, if what you say is true.
Just a random suggestion I had at the time. I don't want it limited to serious and entirely plot based because the top notch ones would dominate. Leave it open for interpretation and give it a max and min for panels. Require that it has a plot and both serious and humorous parts to it. Etc.
billiard_banner.png
(~ O ~)

I should probably clarify that "serious" and "dramatic tension" do not mean to imply "no humor allowed." Humor will obviously not be the focus, and that is where the challenge will lie for most. I do encourage all the participants to make an attempt to incorporate humor effectively: if done with expertise, it should serve to highlight the climax through contrast. This does imply that "slapstick" should not have a place in these comics, as you would prefer, Mr. First Guardian. This way, those who are experienced with humor and those who are experienced with dramatic comics should face an equal challenge.

I should probably clarify that "serious" and "dramatic tension" do not mean to imply "no humor allowed." Humor will obviously not be the focus, and that is where the challenge will lie for most. I do encourage all the participants to make an attempt to incorporate humor effectively: if done with expertise, it should serve to highlight the climax through contrast. This does imply that "slapstick" should not have a place in these comics, as you would prefer, Mr. First Guardian. This way, those who are experienced with humor and those who are experienced with dramatic comics should face an equal challenge.

That is true. I occasionally contradict myself. Thank you for clarifying.
billiard_banner.png
(~ O ~)

Just a random suggestion I had at the time. I don't want it limited to serious and entirely plot based because the top notch ones would dominate. Leave it open for interpretation and give it a max and min for panels. Require that it has a plot and both serious and humorous parts to it. Etc.
That's like saying that there should be a contest allowing poems and novels because people who are excellent writers of novels would dominate (just for example, not saying there's anything wrong with having a contest with poems and novels). :P The whole point would be that whoever is the best at creating a serious comic would win. But I don't know if you are suggesting a contest where the comic must be comedic as well as serious, or if you're proposing that the contest should allow humorous and serious entries, so forgive me if I'm misinterpreting.

How about Betrayal as a theme? Someone must betray someone at some time.Similar to the death theme, but a little less grim.- 55555

I'm totally for this. A death theme is a tad bit grim.
oniban.png