Old School Helryx

Helryx was mentioned and talked about in 2007, and made her first physical appearance in the story in 2008. In 2010, Greg Farshtey said Helryx "probably" has a build like the Toa Mata, implying that's the standard form for Toa who are constructed and were never matoran. He declined to set this in stone, or say that this was for certain; probably because he didn't want to invalidate anyone's MOC.

Here is it paraphrased on Farshtey Feed and here it is copied in posts from 2010. This apparently older source is lost to the sands of time.

Nonetheless, my own version of Helryx was pretty well locked in since then, and now that an appearance is about to be canonized some ten years after the fact, I guess I better get mine out there before it's not a matter of opinion any more.

I know there are more original designs out there, but this one was more about being logical and straightforward. Fathful to the Mata build, but stylistically consistent with the characters introduced in 2008.

- Toa mata build, per the Farshtey Feed post.

- Uses the shoulder and hips joints from 2008, the time of her first appearance in story.

- The Av-Matoran version of the Toa Mata foot, as has been standard since 2008.

- Red, blue, and tan pins as were standard in 2008. the open-ended ball joint, standard since 2006.- Hydraxon's "mask" as a placeholder mask.

- No hero factory/CCBS parts or anything from after 2008. Turns out that long pin in her left shoulder is newer than I thought.

I dunno how long it takes a brickshelf gallery to become public these days, but here is it. It contains some other versions and minor variations, including an all-2001 version which i think is possible to build in real life. The one your seeing here is called Helryx 9 in the gallery.

I don't think I'm going to win the contest or anything, but now that Bricklink makes it possible, and this is my last chance to get the version in my head out there.

Are we still not allowed to mention other sites? Because I want to credit u/SwampKryakwa and u/aresnir from somewhere for providing the mata head and eyes, which bricklink doesn't have on its own.

Helryx 9.png

Helryx 16.png

Edited by Takhamavahu
  • Upvote 3

Me too! I always like characters that are consistent with the style of sets, but who aren't possible to build out of existing pieces/colours. Bricklink makes it all possible!
My next project will be the Toa Nuva as seen in my signature.

Ooh, custom pieces.  Interesting.  I do recall Helryx being implied to look different than the Mata, but it's nice to see some oldschool representation nonetheless.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

16 hours ago, Daler99 said:

I love this!  I always appreciate MOCs in the style of the sets.  You should totally submit this in the TTV Canonization Contest for Helryx. :)

Yeah, is it a contest that involves voting? How can I theoretically vote for this one? I've never built a set in my life, so I don't even know how to comment well, but I do really like this one and the effort put in to go with the canon bits we do have, like probably having a mata-like build, and her weaponry, etc. Also, the dark blue is great, I think it makes her look tough :D

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

On 6/1/2020 at 11:37 AM, Aderia said:

Yeah, is it a contest that involves voting? How can I theoretically vote for this one? I've never built a set in my life, so I don't even know how to comment well, but I do really like this one and the effort put in to go with the canon bits we do have, like probably having a mata-like build, and her weaponry, etc. Also, the dark blue is great, I think it makes her look tough :D

Thanks! I think voting begins after entries close on the 22nd, but that's off the top of my head. I might be wrong about the date.

I haven't entered this yet. Unlike the old BZP contests, you're allowed to enter somethng that you've built and shared in the past, so I wanted to share and get feedback, and allso just mull it over myself before finalizing it.

Here she is with the custom mask of psychometry by Gavla:

Helryx 16.png