Piraka vs Inika: 'Stylized Tributes' (Hakann, Avak, Vezok, Kongu, Nuparu and Matoro)

Here are six revamps/tributes for the Piraka Hakann, Avak and Vezok, and the Toa Inika Kongu, Nuparu and Matoro!

Had lots of fun, and heaps of nostalgia, reading through those ancient Bionicle texts then figuring out how I could make the most faithful revamp/tribute for each character.
Which one of these is your favourite?

Check out my Flickr for quotes, flavour text and design write-ups, and my Instagram and Twitter for more photos! 

6xOnePic.jpg

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Lego David said:

They all look amazing, but the Piraka revamps are easily the best in my opinion. Hakann is probably my favorite one.

That's fair, the Piraka were definitely more enjoyable to work on!  

Hakann's one of my favourites character-wise, I aimed to capture his destructive, manic nature with that oversized shotgun, spikes, and that darn smile. :evilbiggrin:

Oh WOW these are incredible. I love the sheer amount of personality you've squeezed into each design; I think Kongu's my favourite out of them, all the callbacks to his Matoran design represent so well what I've often felt the Inika should have looked more like. The way the official Inika bore no resemblance to their Matoran selves never quite sat right with me; and I love how you've countered that issue on such an epic scale here.

The Piraka, too... I really like how you've taken their individual head designs and built off them in such different ways for each. I think my absolute favourite thing is the different methods you've used for each of their teeth; using an approach other than the standard Piraka skull increases their distinctness even more. I really liked reading the quotes and descriptions you picked for them in the Flickr descriptions, too; it drove home amazingly how true-to-character each of these feel, Toa and Piraka both! Really great work :D

Also, might be a minor thing, but I love the individual base pieces you've built for each of them, too; not only do they look super-effective, they ground the characters in the world ever so well too ^^

• Like 2

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

4 hours ago, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

Oh WOW these are incredible. I love the sheer amount of personality you've squeezed into each design; I think Kongu's my favourite out of them, all the callbacks to his Matoran design represent so well what I've often felt the Inika should have looked more like. The way the official Inika bore no resemblance to their Matoran selves never quite sat right with me; and I love how you've countered that issue on such an epic scale here.

The Piraka, too... I really like how you've taken their individual head designs and built off them in such different ways for each. I think my absolute favourite thing is the different methods you've used for each of their teeth; using an approach other than the standard Piraka skull increases their distinctness even more. I really liked reading the quotes and descriptions you picked for them in the Flickr descriptions, too; it drove home amazingly how true-to-character each of these feel, Toa and Piraka both! Really great work :D

Also, might be a minor thing, but I love the individual base pieces you've built for each of them, too; not only do they look super-effective, they ground the characters in the world ever so well too ^^

Glad you like them so, hope I didn't bore you with all that text!

Yeah, for me the 2001-03 games/animations informed so much of the Toa's personalities, Kongu especially.
Though it would never sit right as canon, in my mind the this is what the Toa would choose to look like after reuniting with their Matoran friends in Metru Nui!

The Piraka were especially enjoyable to work on, their incredibly diverse powers and personalities gave me lots of ideas. 
I wanted to make them look just as dysfunctional together as they were in the story!

For sure, I was surprised at just how much was added by these relatively simple bases.
Plus they're great at stopping them from falling over haha.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

Oh WOW these are incredible. I love the sheer amount of personality you've squeezed into each design

I second this! For me, I love the inventor vibe Nuparu's got. Spot on! 

On Avak, I thought it was an insanely clever design choice to have what look like little cages as part of his armor, since his one power is creating a perfect imprisonment for an enemy. 

• Like 1

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

Ah, it's been a while since I've seen a Poor Disadvantaged MoC.  Still fantastic.  =D

I'm a bit short on time now, so I won't go in-depth on everything you've made here (that would probably take half an hour to type up), so general thoughts: everything is wonderfully unique and oozing with character, and I absolutely adore it.  Post-apocalyptic barbarian Hakann, ogre jailor Avak, Capn' Vezok, jungle god(dess?) Kongu, gloriously orange mad scientist Nuparu… Matoro's lookin' a bit evil there, but he's rockin' it well!  Beautiful stuff.

• Like 1

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Wow, these are incredible! You've managed to capture so much personality in each MOC through both the general shape of the builds and the little details scattered throughout. My favourite probably has to be Hakann solely due to his smile... I must've stared at his mouth for a solid minute trying to figure out how you made those teeth. But the others are no less impressive: I love Avak's bulky body and Vezok's aquatic theme. And the Inika look great too. Like others have said, you've really managed to capture the spirit of these characters in a way that their official sets didn't. And the customized baseplates are the cherry on top. Absolutely stunning.

My one qualm might be Hakann's feet, which look a little small and basic compared to his gorgeous upper body (now there's a phrase I never thought i'd say). But it's a minor quibble. Overall, you've done an amazing job here!

• Like 2