Worth Keeping the Lego Universe Disk?

Kind of a weird question, but. I've been sorting out all my stuff, in preparation for eventually moving out, and I came upon something that I have a question about: the installation disk for the Lego Universe MMO.

Now, I know the MMO got taken offline several years ago now. I regrettably never got much play-time on the game; it was released right as I was starting university, so I had plenty of other things on my mind, and when I tried it just didn't hook me so I forgot to come back to it... I only heard in later years that it had been shut down because (I believe?) it was too much work for the team of moderators to monitor everything players built, to make sure nothing inappropriate was on show. But I digress.

Since the game itself is defunct, as far as I'm aware, is there any actual point in keeping hold of the disk for it? Is there any content on the disk that can still be accessed, even without the game itself being active? Is it collectable to some extent, given that the game had a pretty short lifespan?

Mostly, I just want to know if there's a good reason for me to do anything else with the disk, rather than just throwing it out as useless xD

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

I'm not sure if any of the in-production fan servers will require the use of an install disk. Games like Star Wars Galaxies that have had fan revivals have required access to an official install disk, however games like Toontown or Pirates of the Caribbean Online have fan servers that utilize their own installers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If I had one, I'd probably keep it as a memento, but that's why my room is full of random LEGO merchandise no other human being could ever want.

Edited by Master Inika
  • Like 4

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I never got a chance to play Lego Universe because I was busy with college at the time. I decided to leave my copy of that game in its original packaging (including the plastic wrapping), figuring that if I simply wait long enough, a never-opened copy of that game might someday become rather valuable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

On 6/7/2020 at 7:32 PM, AZBlue said:

I'm not sure if any of the in-production fan servers will require the use of an install disk. Games like Star Wars Galaxies that have had fan revivals have required access to an official install disk, however games like Toontown or Pirates of the Caribbean Online have fan servers that utilize their own installers.

Oh right, good point! I've been following one of those work-in-progress fan servers - the Darkflame Lego Universe one - but I didn't even consider that it might still need the disk to run. That's definitely a good reason to keep it around, at least until I know for sure one way or the other.

Thanks! :D

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

• 2 months later...

I've kept my Bionicle Heroes DVD I got from Legoland Windsor as a kid even though I don't actually have a DVD drive in my PC and I have to use MyAbandonWare.com now these days to actually play the game. It's a nice memento, I suppose. Maybe it might be worth keeping the disk of Lego Universe for the same reason? 

• 2 weeks later...