Was Bionicle born on 2000 or 2001?

Lenny7092

Hi, guys. I have a question, but first, this: In December 2000/January 2001, Bionicle came in Europe, and then in July 2001, it came to the US. So, would you consider it 19 years old or 20? It’s just that I’m hoping that Lego would celebrate Bionicle’s 20th anniversary next year. It’s too good to miss.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I mean if you want to get really technical, the line was in its early conception in the late 1990's... so while the public release didn't happen until the 2001 Winter wave (with some sets hitting shelves in 2000), Bionicle certainly existed prior even if only in internal Lego and Advanced documents and prototypes. Its interesting to note though that much of the 2001 launch media seemed to be made in the same year, with Saffire Studio's cancelled Legends of Mata Nui and Templar Studio's MNOG both made during 2001, with apparently in MNOG's case very little if almost no work done in 2000 at all. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2020 at 11:05 PM, TuragaNuva said:

Lego winter product officially releases in January, even if some of it often makes it to shelves earlier than that. So 2001 is the year it officially started.

Thanks! Now I don’t have to feel disappointed about my hope for Bionicle’s 20th anniversary next year. :)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)