My Candid Bionicle Thoughts

Xboxtravis

Just random, but I want to speak candidly of some of my thoughts of Bionicle and the fandom as a whole right now. Maybe something I can share for future reference if anyone wants to know what my thoughts are on different things regarding Bionicle.

• Somedays I don't really care about the Bionicle community's past, I have been on this website on and off for 14 years; 14 years in the Lego community online. Something that surprises me constantly is how people though are still bringing up so to speak "the sins of the past." I hear all the time about "Well seven years ago TTV said this" or "8 years ago somebody posted this on BZPower" and sometimes it seems grudges are still going back to the day and age when Mask of Destiny was still active. I frankly... don't get it. I'm 26 years old, I wake up every morning and see the beard on my face, and lately have been trying to wrap my mind around how in the world I am going to finish my degree during the middle of a global pandemic. 14 years ago when I first joined this community I was not the same person I am today, and I can't help but feel like that applies to everyone in this community. Yes, maybe people wronged people in the Bionicle fan community 5, 10, 15 or almost 20 years ago... but why are we still hung up over it? Do we really want to judge others based on the actions and words they said when they were 10, 11, 12 or 13 years old? I certainly wouldn't want anyone to be quoting the stupid stuff I said when I was 12 years old in the present day, and I figure its best to give people the same consideration. 
  • Nuvaboobs are still stupid. I don't think I need to explain this one.  
  • I loved G2, warts and all. Most of my MOC's are CCBS heavy. I love a system who's sockets won't break apart if I sneeze in their direction. Yes I know its not following "the G1 aesthetics" but... since when did G1 ever have a consistent design? I can barely put a Toa Mata right next to a Toa Metru without them looking night and day in difference, and they were only released three years apart from each other. Yes G2's story and advertising was abysmal, but I am just glad it happened since it is what re-ignited my fascination in Bionicle as an adult. 
  • G1 wasn't perfect either. Don't get me wrong, I love G1 and have a lot of hard baked nostalgia for the early years 2001-2003 especially. I have recently been sucked back into mask collecting, and am hoping to soon have a complete collection of the 2001 masks (excluding the pricier misprints... I will complete those on a later date). But for everything G1 did right, I think its fair to look critically at its flaws. The early figures were simple, and pretty clone-ish. I think its understandable (even if a bit frustrating) as to why many AFOL's in 2001 dismissed Bionicle outright, since (outside the Technic heavy Rahi and Titans) the theme never had any really complex building in the early years. The Toa Mata as iconic as they are, were pretty crude as action figures with limited articulation and large single piece limbs. G1's early years will hold a special place in my heart, but I think its fair to look at it with a critical eye and recognize the flaws it had while also celebrating the things it did right.
  • Like 4

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!