A Look Back at the Impact of Bionicle

I've seen articles about Bionicle in a lot of places, but Popular Mechanics is not one I can say I would have expected. But recently David Lumb wrote a piece titled, "LEGO Almost Went Bankrupt. These Heroes Saved Our Bricks." where he goes into the origins of our favorite toy line and how it was crucial to the current success of LEGO. The article includes quotes from Christian Faber, Bob Thompson, David Robertson (author of Brick by Brick), and Martin Riber Andersen (Bionicle co-founder and design manager) to really give you some behind the scenes looks at the franchise. It's impressive to see such attention being given to our beloved theme after all these years and the article is definitely worth a read!

View the full article

It’s very interesting that Bionicle is all over the news indirectly. I’m more impressed than ever. Lego is happy that Bionicle saved it from bankruptcy, why not bring it back again properly right now? Bionicle had a lot of potential for great things, but Lego sabotaged it in the 2010s. 

I hope that Bionicle will redeem itself when Lego brings it back on its 20th anniversary next year. Seriously. 

There’s a saying: “If you care about it so much, why not help or bring it back?”

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Great article! It's fascinating to see just how many iterations BIONICLE went through before it became the line we know and love. It really seems like it became a bestseller against all odds—who could've guessed "Bone Heads of Voodoo Island" would eventually become a global phenomenon?