Random Thought on the Matoran/Agori language barrier

I don’t know if this has ever been explained, but I’ve been wondering recently what the actual barrier between the Matoran and Agori languages would have been. The obvious answer is that Matoran is a programming language, but since the Great Beings were Glatorian, wouldn’t they just embed the Matoran with a variant of the Agori language? Anyway, I rolled the thought around in my head and I arrived at the conclusion might not be a two different languages, but two different dialects. The two languages would be mostly the same in terms of pronouns, adjectives, articles, verbs, etc. The difference would be in nouns. The characters in the 2009-2010 run had more Latinate names, so I imagine that Agori would bear Latinate roots, while Matoran would be rooted in Polynesian tribal language. That would be the real “barrier.”

• Like 1

M11

Mata Nui likely gave the Matoran the language before sealing himself back into the Mask of Life. We know he was capable of feats far beyond that, so the fact that there seems to have been immediate communication between the Matoran Universe inhabitants and the residents of Bara Magna indicates that they had the language as soon as they were evacuating.

The other possibility is that the Matoran's programming language wasn't far off from the Glatorian and Agori to begin with. Much like the similarities between English and a vast majority of programming languages.