The Legend of Mata Nui Rebuilt discussion

Lenny7092

Hi, y’all. I’m surprised that no one is talking about the new version of a cancelled video game called The Legend of Mata Nui Rebuilt. The game was about the Toa Mata’s adventures to collect Kanohi and fight Makuta and his Infected Rahi minions. The game was cancelled for many reasons. According to Wikipedia, they include the game being 90% complete before the due date, so the final battle with Makuta wasn’t made (the only medium the battle was seen is Mata Nui Online Game. Plus, the graphics were kind of ugly and were called poor quality. The levels are mostly finalized, but there are a lot of annoying glitches. 

However, The Beaverhouse and Litestone Studios, fan people, got the prototype builds and information about the game, so they are working on completing the game to do justice on it, something that should have happened in 2001. They said that they will combine the prototype builds along the way. 

In the game, it had a lot of problems and questionable things. In the Alpha build, it has some story-related stuff, like the Ruki, and the graphics are kind of rough. The Toa Kaita were playable in their own much smaller levels while there are a lot of pretty interesting stuff, like Lewa’s level having a vine-sliding part, which is like Disney’s Tarzan. The Beta build has graphics that are a little better, but there are some things that are removed for some reason. There was a nasty glitch in the Beta build in Onua’s level that prevented players from advancing the level. Some of the Koro got changed in that version. There are some plans that were never used, like the Ussal. There are the Elemental monsters, which are like the Element Lords from the 2009 storyline (I think that the Lords are based on the monsters), all but one don’t have real names. The Earth Elemental is called “Vatuka-Nui”, but it’s strange because Vatuka are stone monsters, not earth monsters. There were also supposed to be the Shadow Toa, but they weren’t in the builds. 

The game was supposed to be the conclusion of the 2001 storyline, but since it got cancelled, MNOG took charge (no wonder why you guys love to talk about it in some topics in here recently). The handheld game called Quest for the Toa was supposed to serve as a prequel for TLoMN while both game were supposed to come out on the same day. 

Fans pity that poor game. It is a holy grail to them. The Beaverhouse and Litestudios made Rebuilt, where they are improving and fixing a lot of things lately since last year. The graphics for improved, the Toa and Matoran look so much like their sets. The Elementals have names, and they are reasonable, like the stone elemental is called Vatuka-Nui while the earth elemental has a new name. All Matoran got their masks, and guards have their tools, like in MNOG. That part was announced today in Litestone Studios’s YouTube channel, which is why I made this topic. I’m surprised that BS01 hasn’t talked about the Rebuilt version. Nobody else is fixing up the game.

There are some things that I’m still questioning about, like the fight with the Shadow Toa and the fight with Makuta aren’t being made yet. The Water Elemental’s introduction is lacking. Plus, the Ussul crabs aren’t there yet. I hope that we will get Version 2.0, which would have everything resolved, this year or the next to celebrate Bionicle’s 20th anniversary. I told these guys about the unresolved stuff, and they agree with me because they are working on them now. Perhaps I could have some credit. Lol. There are some patches made now. 

So, if you had played Rebuilt, what do you think? :)

• Like 2

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

7 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

There are some things that I’m still questioning about, like the fight with the Shadow Toa and the fight with Makuta aren’t being made yet.

I don’t know if they can really do it justice to make the Shadow Toa from scratch...

Now, what’s this about a Makuta fight? I was under the impression that there was never intended to be one in the game, or in the 2001 ending for that matter. The Shadow Toa are the manifestation of Makuta.

The Tohunga/tentacles Makuta thing was (in-universe) merely a show of strength and would make a very poor finale; the Toa don’t win. Besides, it was Templar’s original contribution to the story and had nothing to do with Saffire.

A series of things happened at the right/wrong time giving Templar the liberty to severely alter the ending of the arc, and I think we agree that it was a good change (replacing Shadow Toa with tentacles Makuta at the climac) but it would not be appropriate to import this into the PC game, in which that was never intended for the ending.

Has following the story become too complex? Look no further:

How to Follow BIONICLE

A Simple, chronological checklist

UPDATE May 22 2013: Every is now color coded!

Contains every bit of content, organized by story year

11 minutes ago, Zestanor said:

I don’t know if they can really do it justice to make the Shadow Toa from scratch...

Now, what’s this about a Makuta fight? I was under the impression that there was never intended to be one in the game, or in the 2001 ending for that matter. The Shadow Toa are the manifestation of Makuta.

The Tohunga/tentacles Makuta thing was (in-universe) merely a show of strength and would make a very poor finale; the Toa don’t win. Besides, it was Templar’s original contribution to the story and had nothing to do with Saffire.

A series of things happened at the right/wrong time giving Templar the liberty to severely alter the ending of the arc, and I think we agree that it was a good change (replacing Shadow Toa with tentacles Makuta at the climac) but it would not be appropriate to import this into the PC game, in which that was never intended for the ending.

Dude, there is a relationship with the Shadow Toa and Makuta. In the story, when the Toa are done defeating the Manas, they face off against the Shadow Toa. The Shadow Toa are actually illusions made by Makuta to fight the Toa. The Shadow Toa are also evil shadow clones and mirror reflections of the Toa Mata that they can’t fight with their elemental powers. In a book called Tale of the Toa, the Shadow Toa can be defeated by a different Toa Mata rather than its Toa Mata counterpart. In the story bible, the Shadow Toa are the physical manifestations of the Toa’s inner darkness, so the Toa has to absorb them to defeat them. That situation is canon. They then go to find Makuta before seeing his Matoran form. That part was only seen in MNOG, and Takua, the main protagonist of the online game, never saw the Shadow Toa fight. He only saw the Makuta fight, which can only be seen in MNOG. Just making sure that you understand the Toa’s situation. The Beaverhouse and Litestone Studios knew about how the fight looked like, so they are working on it, I heard. 

The game was supposed to have the Toa fight the Shadow Toa and then Makuta, like in the story. Mata Nui Online Game had copied what was in TLoMN before the TLoMN itself got cancelled. Tale of the Toa just showed most stuff from the game and the first comic book in July 2001. 

If the Shadow Toa fight and Makuta fight were to be made, it would go like this: after the Toa are done running, each Toa would fight against its own Shadow Toa or the other Toa’s Shadow Toa for the book’s convenience. Then, they fight Makuta himself, and each Toa could take a turn in defeat Makuta. I believe it could work best that way. 

It’s not like that Makuta split himself into six people.

I know the scoop on the Shadow Toa. What I mean is that the tentacles Makuta fight from MNOG was only tacitly “canonized” much later; it’s not in the story Bible. The “canon” Mangaia story ended with the Shadow Toa and LoMN likewise ended with the Shadow Toa. On the BS01 article it says nothing about the game ever having a post-Shadow Toa Makuta fight.

In Comic four there is a section after the end briefly summarizing the 2001 year story. Here is the last paragraph: “The Toa descended into the tunnels below the island’s temple to confront Makuta. There they combined their bodies and minds to form two great Toa Kaita, Akamai and Wairuha. More powerful than ever before, the Toa defeated the Manas, Makuta’s crab-like guardians. Finally, they overcame shadow versions of themselves and achieved a great victory over Makuta!”

Conspicuously missing is mention about a physical battle with Makuta.

Templar straight up admitted they (after being given permission) made up that ending to MNOG. There’s no way an MNOG style ending with a fight against Makuta himself was ever planned for LoMN. 

How to Follow BIONICLE

On 7/15/2020 at 6:27 PM, Zestanor said:

Templar straight up admitted they (after being given permission) made up that ending to MNOG. There’s no way an MNOG style ending with a fight against Makuta himself was ever planned for LoMN. 

to clarify on the end of there being a planned makuta fight for Rebuilt: thats something that the Litestone folks are planning to add into it, since Rebuilt is their mod. Its less obvious and more difficult to get to but there are also releases that are pure bugfixes of the two leaked lomn builds, and those'll naturally never have a makuta fight.

Edited by Peri

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

15 hours ago, Peri said:

to clarify on the end of there being a planned makuta fight for Rebuilt: thats something that the Litestone folks are planning to add into it, since Rebuilt is their mod. Its less obvious and more difficult to get to but there are also releases that are pure bugfixes of the two leaked lomn builds, and those'll naturally never have a makuta fight.

I see. I still think that is against the spirit of the in-game story. It’s an anachronism, like young Anakin ghost at the end of Episode VI.

How to Follow BIONICLE

On 7/18/2020 at 1:13 PM, Zestanor said:

I see. I still think that is against the spirit of the in-game story. It’s an anachronism, like young Anakin ghost at the end of Episode VI.

I would not think so. Your idea sounded like how the first book called Tales of the Toa ended. The story in there was released in 2003 (strange fact because the book is about the Toa’s adventures in the 2001 storyline), and it ended with the Toa defeating the Shadow Toa after defeating the Manas. No Makuta fight was in the book for some reason. The game was supposed to have the Toa fight Makuta, in accordance of the 2001 storyline. I mean, the Toa never came to Makuta’s lair just to fight their evil counterparts. They had to defeat Makuta to stop him from threatening the island of Mata Nui more. Check out Wikipedia about it. Litestone Studios is there to put that missing piece. No one else is doing it. I would call it anachronism. It’s basically a reasonable final group of levels kind of thing that you see in video games, like Mega Man.