The Official Minecraft Topic

Out of curiosity, if an enchanted bow is used to make a Dispenser, and said Dispenser is used to, ah, dispense arrows, will the enchantment hold? I know repairing an enchanted item does away with the enchantment, but does crafting with it?Because, if not, Power, Flame and Infinity bows will soon go into my Dispensers, ready for the ultimate fortress defense. I've already devised a system with a rapid-pulse circuit and three Dispensers to launch 1,728 arrows in just under 2 minutes - if those arrows were flying out of there with an enchantment on them, it would be a massacre.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, I didn't start playing until 1.0, so the only new update that's really struck me is the ability to enchant bows. Flaming arrows are a pretty cool thing to be able to shoot.Shooting Splash potions of, say, poison from Dispensers hooked up to a Rapid Pulser is pretty fun, too. I'm currently setting up a fortress in Creative Mode that uses large banks of dispensers and chests full of various ammunition as a long-range defense. Add to that mechanized traps, various static defenses, a few sniper towers and, oh yeah, a pack of attack wolves, and I'd say I've got a nigh-impenetrable fortress.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

i always thought dispensers were the dumbest item in the game. i've never once made one. no one in smp is dumb enough to hit the trigger, and mobs aren't a big enough problem to warrant automated defense systems.

This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

My preferred method for using dispensers is to place them on a fortress wall and hook them up to a lever via a rapid pulser. The enemy really doesn't need to be dumb, they just need to be somewhere in the line of fire.Although, it is possible to make the switch pretty much impossible to avoid for someone going down a certain tunnel.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Although, it is possible to make the switch pretty much impossible to avoid for someone going down a certain tunnel.

they could just break it and pick it up...
This topic so far

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

Well, yes, but then they're defacing a temple of doom, in which case shame on them, and they'll get the wrong end of a sword for their troubles.Plus, there is always the possibility that they won't see it, unless they're using one of those bloody x-ray texture packs.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Okay! regarding that Minecraft server I was gonna make, Me and my friend plan to get a Dedicated server and split the cost! :DAnd we will either Bionicle theme it, or I'll make a BZPer corner for it :3

Limbo is switching servers! Please calm you Lava producing farms... Christ.

"This will be my finest hour!" - Fulgrim The Phoenician

"There is a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life" - Leonard Church

"Pinkie Pie Style" - Pinkie Pie

"Oh I know what the Ladies like" - Sgt. Avery Johnson

"I'm A madman with a box! Without a box!" - The Doctor

I think a Bionicle-themed Minecraft server would be doomed to go a bit wonky. BZP isn't even all about Bionicle anymore, and the COT community never was.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

well it won't be completely, thats just stupid XDMost likely free build though.

Limbo is switching servers! Please calm you Lava producing farms... Christ.

"This will be my finest hour!" - Fulgrim The Phoenician

"There is a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life" - Leonard Church

"Pinkie Pie Style" - Pinkie Pie

"Oh I know what the Ladies like" - Sgt. Avery Johnson

"I'm A madman with a box! Without a box!" - The Doctor

Dispensers are useful for dropping items, not just as a shooting weapon. Just think of everything you can do with the ability to drop items anywhere.They are very useful, but like any redstone device, a player can choose not to use it and never know what he's missing.It's unfortunate.

banner.png

Yeah, they're good for that, but I never need them for that in Creative mode.I'm currently trying to work out a Dispenser-based trap that will activate if the target destroys or otherwise removes the pressure plate. Since Rapid Pulsers are already set to activate when there isn't input, my standard Pressure Plate Dispenser trap has an inverter somewhere in the circuitry to keep it from just clattering about whenever nobody's standing on the plate. Perhaps I could hook a Piston up to it beneath the inverter in such a way that the Piston will either activate or deactivate when the plate is removed...

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

that's a great plan, actually. counter troll traps.

This topic so far

Vs.

Yeah, the trouble is figuring out a wiring scheme that will make it so that there's some change in the status of the power received by something when the pressure plate is removed. Using an inverter won't work, because removing the input device (the plate) won't change the output - it'll still read as off. I'm trying to find some kind of redstone circuit that reacts to the removal of the input, or, alternatively, a way to get a pressure plate system to default to on in such a way that removing the input matters.In other news, I've carved a small impact crater into the desert. Currently trying to decide whether scattered obsidian would add anything meaningful to the appearance of it.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

i really need to try getting back to my old project. i lost the blueprints i had made for it, and sort of gave up half way through. the head is done, and that was the worst part, the rest shouldn't be too difficult to guess at.

This topic so far

Vs.

What's the old project?I'm considering designating the meteor impact crater I've made in the desert as a relatively small one - it only goes down to a depth of about 10 blocks, after all - and just scattering more craters throughout that particular continent.Also, does snow and ice work in the Nether? I'm really considering trying to remove a lot of the lava and glowstone from it and just making one big glacier.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

i was making a giant alien creature with a forest and a small village on its back.

This topic so far

Vs.

I've played Survival Mode on a free online version of Minecraft (no multiplayer, just Survival, Hardcore, and Creative modes). It's very fun and very addictive, though I actually got a minor case of claustrophobia after I uncovered a humongous cave system, was scared by several monsters, got lost, and was finally forced to dig my way back to the surface through sand; I haven't played since. :PI plan to widen the entire cave system into a massive cavern when I begin playing again. I'm rather busy at the moment with schoolwork, though.I hate Creepers. In all my endeavors I've been killed by one and nearly killed by two others.

So far I've only played Creative mode, so I'm rather fond of Creepers. Well, after I stopped setting them on fire.The geology of my world is kind of crazy, so I've got a lot of mountains that are already hollowed out perfectly for building a fortress in them. The ones that aren't interesting usually get forced into being floating islands via stupid quantities of TNT.Speaking of which, does anyone know a relatively quick, easy way to give a biome a sort of scorched earth feel without resorting to TNT? I need to give my impact crater some authenticity, and lighting trees on fire manually is taking almost as long as digging the crater did. Tempted to pour lava over the area, then solidify it with carefully-applied water. There is some precedent for meteorite strikes triggering volcanic eruptions, but if someone's got a better idea I could use, I'd love to hear it.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

i miss infinite forest fires, they were great for that sort of thing.

This topic so far

Vs.

Yeah. I think I'm going to have to resort to controlled lava flows. Kind of beginning to wish I didn't dig the crater out in a snowy biome.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Looks neat. Personally, I prefer building portal skyscrapers, myself....Huh.Maybe I should resurface my fortress with portals....No, wait, that would be a big security hole. Bad idea.Oh hey, does anyone know the precise range at which lava prevents the formation of snow? I need to know how widely spaced the pools of lava are going to need to be in the plain of otherwise-solidified lava. I need those because I'm going to unify three or four different biomes into basically Mordor, and since one of them's a taiga, having snow would just ruin it.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

What modification is that? It looks pretty cool.

I made it with MC-edit due to it being impossible to place portal blocks next to each other. It was the only way really...

Looks neat. Personally, I prefer building portal skyscrapers, myself. ... Huh. Maybe I should resurface my fortress with portals.... No, wait, that would be a big security hole. Bad idea. Oh hey, does anyone know the precise range at which lava prevents the formation of snow? I need to know how widely spaced the pools of lava are going to need to be in the plain of otherwise-solidified lava. I need those because I'm going to unify three or four different biomes into basically Mordor, and since one of them's a taiga, having snow would just ruin it.

You know, you really should share your world with us, or me atleast. By all your descriptions of your doings in that world, I can't wait to see what everything really looks like... Edited by Chief Engineer Onaku

Well, I'll go ahead and do that reasonably soon, though I have to warn you of two things.1. There are some pretty stupid things in there. This is the only world I've played on, so every little power-crazy experiment I've done happened there.2. There are a lot of incomplete things in there. I'm pretty much a complete spazz in Minecraft, so I'll flit between projects at random.-2a. Accordingly, I haven't built any portal skyscrapers higher than 2 portals. One's subterranean, the other's in the Nether. My portal system is pretty stupid.EDIT: This might go more smoothly if I actually knew how to share a Minecraft world.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

EDIT: This might go more smoothly if I actually knew how to share a Minecraft world.

You go into the '.minecraft' file, go into 'saves' then pick the world you want to share. Then put said world's folder on an online dowloading website, and give us a link.Or at least, that's how I do it. There might be an easier way...

"I'll do it... If that is the choice of Stein's Gate!

I am the mad scientist, Hououin Kyouma!

Fooling the world is nothing to me!"

Man, making lava lighting is difficult, especially when you have to build under it.I'm making a 4 story brick house on creative with lava flooring on the first floor (Covered by glass, of course)I mde an underground portion. Lava keeps coming down.rrgh.And certain spots won't stop moving now, so yeah.This is a problem.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

I feel your pain on that one, mate. I once decided to go ahead and encase several surface-level lava pools in glass (whether they were naturally-occurring of the result of my early power-crazy phase, I've no idea), and there were several frustrating moments when the removal of some chunk of rock would result in a deluge of lava. That little project led to me becoming rather good at double-tapping the left and right mouse buttons in quick succession.The only advice I can give you is to make absolutely certain you know the precise parameters of a lava pool before you make it/build around it, and keep a good map of the project in your head.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I'm having just a little bit of difficulty finding a site for uploading a Minecraft map to that actually works. I've found several that were made with that purpose in mind, but they all absolutely refuse to actually allow the .zip archive to be uploaded.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I'll figure something out at some point, I'm sure.By the time I do that, though, I'll have to replace the .zip file, as the one I have now is badly outdated, largely due to the completion of the railroad running from my home under the sea to my home continent.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, I did fill in every block with the lava.And still it's moving.Really aggrivarting, but I'll figure it out eventually...Only reason for underground portion is for a mine esque thing.With every ore I need, in huge veins so if I get TMI, I can survive on my own with that house.woo.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Well, then, I've got no idea what the problem is with your lava floor.Also, I need to know if a couple of things have been done before, before I decide to make new worlds to do them.1. Build a fake sky, perhaps one modeled on Van Gogh's Starry Night. The sky would be built just below the real clouds, and would have to be large enough to block out the real sky entirely. Waterfalls would likely be placed at the edges to ensure that nobody within the fake sky ever sees the real one.2. Basically build the Discworld. This would be even more time-consuming than the fake sky, as it would require entirely destroying everything down to the void, and then building a giant turtle, four elephants, and a disc-shaped world. Landmarks and cities would likely be vastly scaled-down.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OR, TSOOT, you could get the Dynamic Heights m.o.d. (I had to put periods after each letter because somehow everytime i write that word without that, just plain and simple, the word changes to moderator)... but that would be even MORE so time consuming when it comes to the eventual build.

Edited by Chief Engineer Onaku

I think I'll probably pass on the moderator, not only because I appear to be fully incompetent to install a moderator, but because that really would be too much work. I may be willing to tear a world down and replace it with four elephants riding on a turtle, but I'm not going to do so with a world that's actually bigger than normal.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Oh, I just reminded myself of something - if anyone has some ideas for things that really should belong in a temple of doom, kindly mention them now. I've found the site for the temple itself - the bloody archway for the entrance to the underground portion is a pain in the neck to find, I'll tell you that - and, as I'm now standing one block above the void, I need ideas.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom