The Official Minecraft Topic

Oh, I just reminded myself of something - if anyone has some ideas for things that really should belong in a temple of doom, kindly mention them now. I've found the site for the temple itself - the bloody archway for the entrance to the underground portion is a pain in the neck to find, I'll tell you that - and, as I'm now standing one block above the void, I need ideas.

Mob spawners... Dispenser traps with mob eggs inside... Redstone Puzzles... Jumping Puzzels...

"I'll do it... If that is the choice of Stein's Gate!

I am the mad scientist, Hououin Kyouma!

Fooling the world is nothing to me!"

I'm working on a sort of survival-horror Minecraft Map, insipred a bit by the Resident Evil series. I say a bit since I haven't actually played any of the games and probably won't for a while. :P I have been reading about some of the concepts of Revelations though, and I like the ideas in play.So yeah, look forward to that...someday...

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

I've given up on a dispenser-based trap that fires when the switch is destroyed. Instead, I'm returning to an older idea - one that fires when activated, and again from the other side of the room when deactivated. The only way I see to make a working switch-destruction trap is to place a lever in the on position in plain view, prompting particularly dense intruders to go ahead and mess with it - if they turn it off, it fires, if they destroy it, it fires, and, for good measure, I'll incorporate a NOT pathway so that if they turn it back on to stop the hail of arrows, fireballs (after those are put into the game, presumably along with jungles and ocelots and such) or splash potions are fired.I've also devised a rather neat floor trap that really only works in the large, very low chamber of a structure I'm building now. The chamber is one block above the void, and will be roughly lenticular in shape, with a floor made of sand - no torches will be visible to the unwary visitor, nor will the sticky pistons holding the blocks that do have the torches holding the floor up. What I'm counting on here is that the player won't necessarily know they're right above the void. If they trigger the system, the pistons withdraw, dropping the floor out. I want this to be avoidable, in case somebody has legitimate business there, but I don't want it to be easily avoidable if you don't know it's there.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Hmm, yes, that is a bit disappointing. Still, they look reasonably alright with the housecat appearance.Myself, the main thing I'm looking forward to in this next update is the fireballs. I need more things I can launch from dispensers, and if fireballs are stackable like arrows, I can make a pretty well-defended castle....Granted, at most it takes two minutes for one of my RP dispensers to fire a full salvo, but that's two minutes of senseless destruction.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Ocelots are the new mob released in the most recent weekly snapshot, and will be included in 1.2.Also in that weekly snapshots: Flare Charges (I think that's what they're called...) that are like super agressive flint and steel, and when fired from a dispencer are fireballs, smarter skeletons (oh man, we're so dead... they'll be stalking us forever now, and hide in shade if they catch on fire now!), and...well, most of the new new stuff was in the previous weekly snapshot, like the Jungle biome, mob eggs from dispencers make the mob, and smart zombies (Not really scary...)

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Smart zombies aren't all that scary, just a bit more entertaining.Dispensable mobs make for interesting trap set-ups, but if the flare charges follow a ballistic trajectory, that's pretty exciting, because I've somehow developed the mindset that invading armies are going to have a go at my fortresses, so I'm fortifying them against such an occasion.Also, I have finished the trap entrance to what is currently my favorite chamber. Flip the switch (or destroy it, as it's presently on) and the door opens, but the floor allowing you to reach the important portion of the chamber drops out, leaving you to trudge, disappointed, back up the steps.Now I just need to make the entrance for legitimate business.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Am I the only one who wants to see monster invasions? Because I think that'd just be plain cool.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Am I the only one who wants to see monster invasions? Because I think that'd just be plain cool.

Why do you think I'm fortifying everything that's nailed down? I'm hoping they give us the option to turn off the passiveness of monsters in Creative mode, so I can build a nice big fortress, spawn an army of monsters, and then cry havoc, flip a couple of switches, and loose the dogs of war.(The switches, of course, control the doors to the wolf paddock.)

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yes.But only on creative,because I don't want to be murdered in Survival.And, of course, you can set your health.But you can always install the Invasioncraft moderator, sincs it activates a towerdefence esque thing.But Creepers are already smart enough... they already go around corners, so yeah.I think. They do it to me, at least.but I honestly wish you can automatically spawn tame mobs.Infinate wolves, anyone?Kill everything, but creepers, and then release the fires.Burn them all! Burn them!

1Ydp0mg.jpg

I still think a modification in which Creepers don't take fire, explosion or fall damage would be awesome. Facing an invading horde of those would be scary - unless you've got, say, an arrow-based machine gun battery. In which case, you'll be facing a field full of gunpowder and the couple thousand arrows that missed.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

And lag city, if you have a bad computer (Like me)But that would mean the creepers would explode constantly and survive...that's horrifying.withoguht that arrow thing. But, it causes tons of lag.So short bursts are best. Take out tons, release the hounds on anything non-creeper, and kill them all with arrows.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Eh, I've got a decent computer, so I can do that with no problems.Also, does anyone know if ice will form one block above the highest point you can build at? I made a very bad mistake and put water right on top of a structure that is as high as possible - my options at this point are either wait for it to freeze or make a rooftop swimming pool, and even that's a sketchy option.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Eh, I've got a decent computer, so I can do that with no problems.Also, does anyone know if ice will form one block above the highest point you can build at? I made a very bad mistake and put water right on top of a structure that is as high as possible - my options at this point are either wait for it to freeze or make a rooftop swimming pool, and even that's a sketchy option.

Why not just destroy it?

"I'll do it... If that is the choice of Stein's Gate!

I am the mad scientist, Hououin Kyouma!

Fooling the world is nothing to me!"

Because it's just a block of water on top of the highest possible structure. If you hit water with a hammer, the thing under it gets destroyed. It won't freeze, so that's right out.I ended up converting it into a pretty awesome fountain thing.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

You could use a bucket?Also, as soon as it's out on XBox 360, HUGE CASTLE.Like, 250x250x50. It will be surrounded by 25 blocks of courtyard on all sides, and have a nice garden sorta place in the middle.And the houses around it will slowly decrease in size, depending on their distance from the castle, three at a time.Plots will be 25x25, and the height, as previously mentioned, will depend on the distance from the castle.Streets will, of course, be cobblestone, and north/south will be straight, whereas east-west will extend 25 blocks away from the castle, then 25 blocks north, then 25 away, then 25 south, etc.(The descending height thing is based on the city of Teirm from the Inheritance series. I thought the street thing was too, but in the part about Teirm in Eragon, I can't find it, so it might be a different city. If so, I wanna say it's Uru-Baen)

- :burnmad:

Wait... Wait... I could have just scooped the water up?I spent all that time building around it, and I could have just...Blaaaaargh. Now I've got to decide whether to keep the fountain or not. Might just rebuild it in a courtyard... Which reminds me, that castle still doesn't have one...I've got work to do. Tear down the fountain, flatten out a plot of land, build the castle up around the plot of land, courtyard, frame it with a massive fountain.EDIT: Buckets aren't working. Too much continuous water. It is beginning to freeze, though. This is going to be a slow fix to a quick mistake.EDIT 2: Turbation via bucket appears to promote freezing. Problem solved.EDIT 3: From the bit for the current testing-ready snapshot;"Villagers will try to detect village houses and live in them"So, uh... A for effort if they end up just sitting outside of the houses, I guess. I can imagine a villager with an oddly-placed door just running through the desert screaming "It's too haaaaaaaaaaaaaard!"

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I think it would add an interesting mechanic if Zombies (and other mobs, really) could break dirt and gravel. That'd make for a long night if you were in an emergency shelter.

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

20120203154904.gif*This is what happens when I get sidetracked on a major project. That line extending into the river (you know, the one that rather neatly divides the big river from the small one) is one of the 55-block walls for the courtyard that's going to have the fountain stuff and an artificial jungle and all that jazz.The wimpy river is what the whole river used to look like.The thing in my hand is a sponge. I'm using it to build shelves 1 block below where I want the top of the water (okay, ice) to be, because it's pretty easy to see what's sponge and what isn't.There's an actual dam upstream. I'm going to build this through a couple of lakes, raising the water level by about 7 blocks the whole way through, until I get to the dam - which I will probably have to make bigger.Once the river of coolness is done, I can get back to work on the 55x55 courtyard. I'm honestly beginning to wish I hadn't spawned in the tundra, because building rivers by hand is hard enough as-is.Oh also you can see the bridge between my two big fortresses. The line of red above the river to the left is the testing range for experimental weaponry. The paddock to the far left is for range-testing those weapons once I've confirmed that they work. I stuff the paddock with sheep and let the arrows/splash potions/eggs (once) fly.*Image now available in a crunchy 422 KB filesize. It's good for your kidneys! Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Wait. Did the eggs work?But anyways, I'm working on a werid survival house thing using creative, sticking it up with everything I need to survive...But, of course, I'm putting the supplies where I can't automatically get to them (There will be a stone wall, behind is a chest with 8 stacks of cobble, 2 stacks of smooth stone) automatically, and there is challange.But no caves.No caves at all, because 1.2 is going to scare the carp outta me with intellegent creepers.But they're scared of cats. So I'll be sure if there's any caves there will be cats in them protected by glass.Horray for weird enginnering projects!

1Ydp0mg.jpg

The eggs, uh... Well, they followed a ballistic trajectory, hit the ground and/or sheep, and some of the eggs hatched into chickens on impact. It was a mess, but it would be very good for annoying an invading army.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I tried the bucket after I had already expanded it into a fountain-thingy, adding about fifty more source-blocks in the process. As a result, every time I scooped up one, the others would fill it in to the point of it basically becoming a source block again. What ended up happening was that parts of it just froze, allowing me to scoop up the rest without them getting refilled.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yeah, you could say that. Once I get done basically making a frozen inland sea (got sidetracked with making some ice caves, but that's not the point), I'm going to redo the fountain trick, but in a more controlled environment.I'm also probably going to make a waffle-grid circuit at the testing range just to see what happens. Last time I did that it became an illogic circuit and just stayed on no matter what I did to the input.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I can't see why not... but I could of course be wrong, but I don't think there is anything against it.By the way, I've started a large project based around making a huge underground dwarfen city. I carve the houses out of the rock and stuff, it's really quite fun actually...I'll post some pics later on...

Edited by Chief Engineer Onaku

I am currently having difficulties with a project I have chosen to undertake in the Nether. I won't give any details of what the purpose of my activities in the Nether is - that would spoil the surprise - but the issue I'm having is that, as far as I can tell, maps made in the Nether won't display what's really there, even if you break through the ceiling in a large enough area that it should display what's farther down. For my purposes, this is a bit inconvenient, as I would rather like visitors to that part of the Nether to fully understand the scale of the project once it's completed.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

The official explanation for why maps in the Nether only show orange and grey is the roof, but that doesn't make much sense, as the roof is pure grey (bedrock). I'm going to open up a large area and cover the space below in something that should show up on the map - if it doesn't, then I'll have to conclude that Nether maps work in a very different way.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Hmm. What are the dimensions of the mansion? Is it built to be functional with Minecraft players, or scaled-up for extra detail?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I'm currently going through my main fortress on Normal difficulty, and installing extra lighting wherever I see monsters. I then have to return to the throne room (the main established monster-free zone, with no possible way for monsters to get in short of teleportation), set the difficulty to Peaceful, reset it to Normal, and run through again, making sure all the lighting is good.I've run through it five times so far. Still haven't hit every corner of the fortress. And I've got another one across the river to take care of after this.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom