The Official Minecraft Topic

Creative mode. The plan is to use this as an Adventure mode map on multiplayer once that mode comes out, so I'd really like to keep monsters from spawning in parts of my fortress that, well, don't need to have monsters in them.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Wait, wait, what.Rare item drops?Huh. I doubt you'll ever get any kind of diamond tools/weapons.But, of course, if you did it would come from Endermen or Creepers.

Zombies drop iron tools and armor sometimes.Zombie pigmen drop gold stuff every once in a while.No word on anything diamond.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Endermen are easy, why would they give diamond?Creepers I guess makes sense, although honestly none should drop diamonds.

- :burnmad:

Honestly, I don't think it should have anything to do with the difficulty of beating the thing. Zombie Pigmen drop gold stuff because they carry gold swords. Zombies drop iron stuff because a zombie wearing an iron helmet makes sense. Skeletons drop bows because they carry bows. Neither Endermen nor Creepers carry anything diamond, there isn't any good reason for them to have diamond, so they don't drop it.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Those are items of mostly low value though, unless on a server with gold as currency. But zombie pigmen are tough and attack in herds (packs?), which balances it out. But endermen pick up things, so since they're rare item drops it would make sense that they would sometimes drop diamond, among other things.Of course, on the other hand, they're horribly easy, especially when near water, and are passive until attacked (or looked at, if you're not wearing a pumpkin), so it would make diamond farming with grinders easy and decrease the value of diamond.I suppose you could say they only pick up blocks, or that there aren't any diamonds outside of blocks, but they could be made to pick up items laying around at any time, and then where do zombie pigmen get gold? :

- :burnmad:

Edited by Burnmad: Toa of Emoticons

Zombie Pigmen just have gold. That's just their thing to have. Endermen can't pick up diamond or even diamond ore, so there's no reason for them to have diamond.As far as them being "horribly easy", are you playing with the current version of Minecraft? They've been changed so they teleport away as soon as they touch water.On to another matter, I've started a Survival mode game on a Super-Flat world. It's a very painful experience.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Think that's bad? 1.8 bumped the specs required for Minecraft beyond that which my computer can handle, so I've never even encountered an Enderman, let alone fought one. :P :w:

Ouch, that blows. I didn't get Minecraft until 1.0, and my computer has handled it fine the whole time. Of course, my computer is relatively new, so...I'm rather excited for 1.2, mainly because of the new tortures I can devise with Dispensers.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, I don't know how good enchanted items would be for puzzles...Puzzles are pretty doable with pistons, though. I've got one right now that's more of a mind-game I played on people trying to get through a cavern than a legitimate puzzle, but the looks on their faces when they see the results of a wrong answer are still priceless.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Ah, true. That would definitely be useful. Or puzzles where you have to set something on fire that can only be reached with an arrow.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Hmm. What are the dimensions of the mansion? Is it built to be functional with Minecraft players, or scaled-up for extra detail?

I believe it is 38x32.The height is to be determined, and it is set to be interactable with other players, I plan for it to be a sort of hotel/resort thing as well as a mansion. It will have different suites with different themes. For example one will be "The End" suite, made up of end stone and obsidian. The only problem is it will be about 5-6 stories high, the rescorces will be hard to get/expensive, and I am on Survival :P

Percussion is love. 

Hahahaha, should be lovely when it is finished.On my Flatland Survival game, I'm finding out the differences in mindset between a Creative game and a Survival one. In Creative, I would have just waded into a sea of monsters, dealing out savage beatings left and right. In this Flat Survival game, I am instead digging a dry moat 3 blocks deep around the village I have claimed as my own. Frequent slime-based interruptions have slowed excavation considerably.UPDATE: It should be noted that the dry moat is a rousing success. It should be built 3 blocks wide, all the way down to the bedrock, surrounding whatever plot of land you have claimed as your own (I've commandeered a village, you might choose to strike out on your own.), or 4 blocks wide if you wish to include an overhang to keep spiders from climbing up the near side. (If you do not widen it and put the overhang in, the large slimes will not be able to fall in.) A couple of game-days after I installed the moat around the village, the number of monsters of any type spawning dropped off considerably, due, I expect, to the large number of slimes trapped in the moat.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Hahahaha, should be lovely when it is finished.On my Flatland Survival game, I'm finding out the differences in mindset between a Creative game and a Survival one. In Creative, I would have just waded into a sea of monsters, dealing out savage beatings left and right. In this Flat Survival game, I am instead digging a dry moat 3 blocks deep around the village I have claimed as my own. Frequent slime-based interruptions have slowed excavation considerably.UPDATE: It should be noted that the dry moat is a rousing success. It should be built 3 blocks wide, all the way down to the bedrock, surrounding whatever plot of land you have claimed as your own (I've commandeered a village, you might choose to strike out on your own.), or 4 blocks wide if you wish to include an overhang to keep spiders from climbing up the near side. (If you do not widen it and put the overhang in, the large slimes will not be able to fall in.) A couple of game-days after I installed the moat around the village, the number of monsters of any type spawning dropped off considerably, due, I expect, to the large number of slimes trapped in the moat.

Yeah... I tried that. It was chaos.

"I'll do it... If that is the choice of Stein's Gate!

I am the mad scientist, Hououin Kyouma!

Fooling the world is nothing to me!"

Chaos is one word for it, yeah. It does keep the monsters out though, if you do it right. Only problem is that, if you leave the area or switch to peaceful mode and then back to normal, it'll take a while for the situation to stabilize again.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Chaos is one word for it, yeah. It does keep the monsters out though, if you do it right. Only problem is that, if you leave the area or switch to peaceful mode and then back to normal, it'll take a while for the situation to stabilize again.

Yeah...Eventually, I just turned the entire town into a moat. Then went off in search of another town, using the dirt blocks to mark the way back. BTW, Blacksmith houses are very helpful in Flat Worlds.

Hmm... The whole-town moat thing may have been a bad idea. A moat just around the town keeps the monsters out of mine just fine, with a 1-block wall on the inner side of the moat.And yeah, I just found one of those in another village. Iron boots, iron sword, iron ingots, and saplings. Now I'm carving out another moat around the new town, so I can plunder that town and then return home with my supplies.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I'm BAAAAAAACKAnyway. Apparently now leaves have a 0.5% chance of dropping apples. I took down a normal sized tree, got two.Also, I'm building a village. I will take screenshots as I progress and share the world once it is finished.

I figure I may as well do PBZPs now. But, I have a terrible work ethic,so they may take a while.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

blue=taken, red=in progress

Nice.Also, I found a flaw with my moat system - if the village is more than 128 blocks wide, the moat will not keep the number of spawned monsters down at all. If you're going to use the moat system, make certain that you keep the area being enclosed under that size. Made that mistake with the second village, but on the plus side, I got some snazzy iron boots and a batch of saplings. Third village was close by, nothing worth taking from there.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Nice.Also, I found a flaw with my moat system - if the village is more than 128 blocks wide, the moat will not keep the number of spawned monsters down at all. If you're going to use the moat system, make certain that you keep the area being enclosed under that size. Made that mistake with the second village, but on the plus side, I got some snazzy iron boots and a batch of saplings. Third village was close by, nothing worth taking from there.

Yeah... That's why I turned the village into a Village Moat and went to another village. Was my way of making sure that if I ever went Village searching again, I would know that I had already been to that village.I've gotten about...25 Apples30 Iron15 Gold10 Obsidian5Diamonds10 Iron Boots9 Iron Leggings1 Iron ChestplateAnd 2 Iron Helmets.

Yeah. I mark my path with 6-block high dirt pillars, myself. They're cheap, they're easy to make, and they stick out like a sore thumb. I'm probably going to have to return to that failed village to collect the bed I made there (so if I die I don't spawn in the middle of that unpleasant place), which means the equilibrium of my home village will very briefly be disrupted again. Bluh.I've collected:1 Iron Sword2 Iron Boots (1 set of them)2 Iron Ingots (now Shears)8 SaplingsFuture raids may unearth more spoils, but I'm going to slaughter a cow or two first.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Argh.I tried doing a superflat survival...No villages. Anywhere.I searched, night fell, so I decided it was dirt shack time.Then I forgot I was on peaceful. So, a whole night lost.But on the new weekly snapshot... the zombies breaking doors down, and villagers mating is...disturbing.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Well, the villagers reproducing isn't any more disturbing than cows or pigs or sheep doing it, and with zombies laying siege to the villages, it's kind of necessary.Besides, they just stand near each other and then a baby villager just starts existing.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, I've heard from some people that they're having trouble with a bug that causes them to be able to break iron doors. It is just a bug, though, and like other snapshot problems, should be alleviated before the final release of 1.2.In other news, I'm loving the dirt-pillar method of keeping track of the road back home. The plan is to raid villages until my pockets are full, return home, deposit the spoils, follow the trail to the end of the road again, and keep repeating the process until my home-village becomes completely awesome.I may also raise my home village above the spawning level for slimes if I acquire a bucket (for moving the water required for the farms.)

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, my first big project in Flatland was to tear down a lot of the buildings in my home village. Iron is still scarce, but stone tools are good enough (and at the moment, cheap enough) that I can do a pretty good job of defending myself.It's the raising of my home that's going to prove somewhat bothersome, though. I've got to elevate it by about 40 blocks, which will essentially mean strip-mining the dirt from the surrounding area. Still, doing away with slimes will be worth it - once that's done, I'm going to coat every surface in stone slabs to get one over on the other monsters.But yeah, honestly, I'd be rather happy with being in a ravine full of iron.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Played for an hour and a half earlier and have built the outer frame of an enormous tower. I'm think this is a project that might take months to complete now, but that's fine.Gonna release it all on some site as a bunch of timelapses, with *hopefully* some commentary at segments along the way explaining the process. Depends on if I can find a good mic though.The tower is around 22 layers tall, and it has a diameter of 45 blocks when placed side by side. Tomorrow I'll be building the roof and possible the top floor.-ibrow

I'm trying to visualize this. Does 'layers' mean that the tower is 22 blocks tall, or 22 floors? If the former, you build very slowly; if the latter, sounds awesome.Made a very stupid mistake, ended up dying in a hole in a foreign village. No cartographical data (i.e, coordinates) for my home village (or the trail of dirt pillars leading to my point-of-death) available. This is going to be frustrating.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

22 blocks tall, and I don't think I build that slowly; the tower is a lot bigger than you think. Forty-five blocks in diameter for the circle; that is a huge circle. I will admit I'm probably slower than some, since this is only my second major building project.Also, I may or may not have fallen off a few times.-ibrow

Edited by iBrow Hearts Luna