What Does Toa Krakua's Mask Look Like?

Okay, so I want to clear up something that's been confusing me for a while.

When Toa Krakua "came out" in 2005, i.e. was shown for the first time and simultaneously canonized, he was obviously wearing a Kanohi Hau (and generally resembled a cyberpunk Tahu but that's another story). At the time, that was explained away as him having a "Hau-shaped Kanohi Suletu" and I believe the Kanohi Suletu was in fact introduced with Toa Krakua (was that LEGO's idea, btw, or was it all John Dexter's head canon made real canon?).

After the Toa Inika came out in 2006 and we were shown that Toa Kongu wears a Kanohi Suletu, albeit organic, Toa Krakua was almost immediately retconned to wear a regular (non-organic) Kanohi Suletu and not a Hau-shaped one.

So up until maybe a year ago, I was under the impression that the latter statement was considered canon, until I started finding conflicting information and at a certain point I even thought Toa Krakua's mask was re-retconned to a Hau-shaped Suletu once again.

So... which is it, in the end?

Thanks. :)

Plot twist, all non-organic Suletu's look like Hau's so that nobody knows they're being mind read. :P (Obviously not true, Hewkii found Kongu's Suletu before it became organic and they didn't recognize the shape).

I actually have never heard that Krakua's mask was a normal Suletu, was this stated officially somewhere like a book or something?

• Upvote 1

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

LOL, the fact this is the first time you're hearing this is just proof of how convoluted this whole retcon is.

I've seen it stated in the forums as far back as 2006 (someone must've asked GregF, I suppose) and you can currently find this statement on BS01.

BS01 cites this Greg quote as evidence that Krakua wears a normal Suletu: https://greg.thegreatarchives.com/2003-2008/page158#post6320-line2-3

He also stated the same thing when asked the same question by several other people.

Additionally, in the prologue of Swamp of Secrets, Krakua's mask is described as matching the description of a Suletu:

The light revealed another figure as well. This one was also a Toa, though not someone Takanuva recognized. His Mask of Power matched the description of a Suletu, or Mask of Telepathy.

https://crosswiredgeeks.com/biologicalchronicle-book8chapter22/

BUT someone asked Greg about it again in 2010, and that time he implied that Krakua's mask looks like a Hau, saying exactly the opposite of what he had every other time someone asked him about it: https://greg.thegreatarchives.com/2008-2010/page331#post13230

However, I think this can be chalked up to Greg forgetting what he had said in the past (both in Q&As and in-story), and should really be disregarded rather than being treated as a new retcon.

• Upvote 1

sigbanner.gif

well this is new news to me! once again i have discovered something that i have never freaking heard before! is this gonna happen all the time from now on? lol 

anyway, i first saw Toa Krakua in the Lego Club Magazine (most likely in 2005) and he had a dark grey Hau! and i always thought that was his actual mask! that was until this topic was made! lol no but seriously, this is interesting to hear 15 years later! i also never knew the Kanohi Suletu had a "normal" variant (proves how much i know! lol)! oh well! i believe the dark gray Hau was meant to be his actual mask since that's what he had when he first appeared in the Lego Club Magazine, but i guess the Toa Krakua model seen in the LCM is just a MOC someone made? i don't know! lol 

4 minutes ago, TheZOMBIEJ said:

well this is new news to me! once again i have discovered something that i have never freaking heard before! is this gonna happen all the time from now on? lol 

anyway, i first saw Toa Krakua in the Lego Club Magazine (most likely in 2005) and he had a dark grey Hau! and i always thought that was his actual mask! that was until this topic was made! lol no but seriously, this is interesting to hear 15 years later! i also never knew the Kanohi Suletu had a "normal" variant (proves how much i know! lol)! oh well! i believe the dark gray Hau was meant to be his actual mask since that's what he had when he first appeared in the Lego Club Magazine, but i guess the Toa Krakua model seen in the LCM is just a MOC someone made? i don't know! lol 

Lego held a MOC contest to determine what Krakua looked like. The winning MOC became his official appearance and was featured in the magazine.

Edited by TuragaNuva

sigbanner.gif

1 hour ago, TuragaNuva said:

Lego held a MOC contest to determine what Krakua looked like. The winning MOC became his official appearance and was featured in the magazine.

yeah, i kinda figured that, but thanks for replying anyway! :) 

also, Krakua does look sorta "steampunk/cyberpunk"-like in terms ov looks! so credit to the MOCist for the design ov the MOC! now if only Helryx had a similar canonization contest, OH WAIT!! SHE DID!! (thanks to TTV) lol 

23 hours ago, TuragaNuva said:

BS01 cites this Greg quote as evidence that Krakua wears a normal Suletu: https://greg.thegreatarchives.com/2003-2008/page158#post6320-line2-3

He also stated the same thing when asked the same question by several other people.

Additionally, in the prologue of Swamp of Secrets, Krakua's mask is described as matching the description of a Suletu:

https://crosswiredgeeks.com/biologicalchronicle-book8chapter22/

BUT someone asked Greg about it again in 2010, and that time he implied that Krakua's mask looks like a Hau, saying exactly the opposite of what he had every other time someone asked him about it: https://greg.thegreatarchives.com/2008-2010/page331#post13230

However, I think this can be chalked up to Greg forgetting what he had said in the past (both in Q&As and in-story), and should really be disregarded rather than being treated as a new retcon.

Well then, that explains the confusion and all of the conflicting information I found. Thanks so much for your thorough response.

In all honesty I'm disappointed his mask doesn't in fact resemble a Hau, as the Suletu design is quite frankly one of the least visually attractive Kanohi produced in the entirety of Bionicle in my opinion.

On the other hand, the fact that Kanohi masks generally have specific designs to match their powers but they can also be made to look like any other Kanohi (yet don't most of the time) has always bothered me beyond belief. Just say Krakua was wearing a Hau, end of story.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know which character traits came from John Dexter and which came from LEGO?

15 hours ago, Illuminatus said:

While we're on the subject, does anyone know which character traits came from John Dexter and which came from LEGO?

I'm under the impression John Dexter just made the MOC, and LEGO did everything story-side. LEGO kept the mask because obviously Dexter couldn't make his own unique mask.

Krakua's mask is one of the most confusing elements of BIONICLE sets vs. story. I've just learned to not think about it. Regardless of what a book or Greg says, when I hear Krakua, I think of a guy wearing a mask that looks like a Hau, but I also know he wears a Mask of Telepathy.

• Like 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

On 8/13/2020 at 9:48 AM, Illuminatus said:

In all honesty I'm disappointed his mask doesn't in fact resemble a Hau, as the Suletu design is quite frankly one of the least visually attractive Kanohi produced in the entirety of Bionicle in my opinion.

On the other hand, the fact that Kanohi masks generally have specific designs to match their powers but they can also be made to look like any other Kanohi (yet don't most of the time) has always bothered me beyond belief. Just say Krakua was wearing a Hau, end of story.

Whole-heartedly agree. It strikes me as no small coincidence that this confusing concept was introduced in 2005, a year full of out-there BIONICLE stuff that made the whole universe a lot bigger, but simultaneously, more convoluted to follow, sometimes just for the sake of convolution. I mean, to paraphrase a popular quote, sometimes a Kanohi Hau is just a Kanohi Hau. I understood that LEGO didn't always have the budget or need to create new mask molds, but this wasn't an elegant solution.

• Like 1
Bornicleban.gif

RIP BORNICLE

2004 - 2011

"There are a thousand ways I could bore you...and only 942 of them will put you to sleep. Permanently"