• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Photo

Last Book You Read

Literature Prose

• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#161 Offline Ghost of Romance

Ghost of Romance
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 21-July 06
  • 1,031 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Apr 25 2013 - 08:32 AM

Deus Ex: Icarus Effect by James Swallow.

It was ok. Pretty much what you would expect from a video game tie-in.

Edited by -Malchior-, May 04 2013 - 05:46 AM.

___

boris_noise_2.jpg

___

_

#162 Offline Fairy Paladin

Fairy Paladin
  • Premier Member
  • Mask of Time Discovered

• 11-October 07
  • 4,092 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 09:09 AM

So I finally got around finishing Bram Stoker's Dracula. Can only recommend it, it's both a thrilling and entertaining read. ^^

#163 Offline Ladon: Lord of Hesperides

Ladon: Lord of Hesperides
  • Members
  • Emerging Flying Force

• 11-October 07
  • 2,231 posts
  •  

Posted May 05 2013 - 04:09 PM

For fun or for class?  I read Nan Shepherd's Quarry Wood for class, but for fun the last book I read was Princess of Mars.

Original WRITERS! Topic from the old forum.

#164 Offline Baltarc

Baltarc
  • Premier Member
  • FFM OTC Winner

• 06-August 10
  • 1,712 posts

Posted May 16 2013 - 09:21 PM

I finished To Kill a Mockingbird a little while ago. When I first began reading it for class I assumed that it wouldn't be very interesting, but it turned out to be an extremely enthralling read. Next up: John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and Lopez Lomong's Running for My Life, all for summer reading.

Posted Image

#165 Offline The Shouting God

The Shouting God
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 31-July 06
  • 2,920 posts
  •  

Posted May 18 2013 - 12:45 PM

Finished A Dance with Dragons. Sure was fun.

And by fun I mean I watched all my favourite characters die.

Edited by The Shouting God, May 18 2013 - 12:45 PM.

Posted Image

With the clamor of anvils and the thunder of guns, we rip each day from life's teeth.

#166 Offline Tenth Norik

Tenth Norik
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Defeated

• 06-November 11
  • 2,768 posts
  •  

Posted May 25 2013 - 09:05 AM

Re-read LOTR for a book talk. Quite a favourite of mine. Before that I read Arthas: Rise of The Lich King and 747 things to do on a plane.

MTG Dual Colour

http://www.bzpower.c...pages/?p=547065 My BZPRPG Character Profiles

#167 Offline Fairy Paladin

Fairy Paladin
  • Premier Member

• 11-October 07
  • 4,092 posts

Posted May 28 2013 - 01:14 AM

Just finished the first book of the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, namely Wizard's First Rule. Can't wait to get started on the next one sometime later today. ^^

#168 Offline Vorahk1Panrahk2

Vorahk1Panrahk2
  • Premier Member
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 08-July 03
  • 3,952 posts

Posted May 28 2013 - 08:21 PM

Re-read Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire. I don't know anything about Oz beyond the most famous MGM movie version, and I haven't read any of Baum's books. But I love how Maguire completely deconstructs Oz and turns it into something else entirely. He really makes the world believable, and his take on the witch is fascinating. I'm in the process of reading the sequel right now, and while it doesn't seem to be starting off as strong, I'm sure it will still be an interesting read at worst.

Posted Image

BZPRPG Profiles

#169 Offline Ghost of Romance

Ghost of Romance
  • Premier Member

• 21-July 06
  • 1,031 posts

Posted Jun 06 2013 - 03:32 PM

Finished up Allen Ginsberg's Selected Poems 1947-1995. Don't really read much poetry, but I do enjoy it.

___

boris_noise_2.jpg

___

_

#170 Offline Starlord

Starlord
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • legendary outlaw

• 15-December 04
  • 2,498 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Jun 07 2013 - 11:32 PM

harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban

workin on goblet of fire now

tumblr_inline_mrsns9fO2r1qep8gd.png

#171 Offline Velox

Velox
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Bibliophilic Littérateur & Senior Staff

• 20-September 07
  • 11,831 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Jun 13 2013 - 03:52 PM

Just finished reading The Prestige, by Christopher Priest, yesterday. I then re-watched the film last night. =P Both really are amazing works of art, and I'm having trouble deciding which I preferred. Both were fantastic, and ultimately the same, yet very different at the same time. Either way, the book is fantastic and definitely recommended. The writing structure was really enjoyable. 

Since my last post I've also read...wow, I haven't posted in a while:

• The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern, which is one of my favorite novels ever. Also about magicians, but far different from The Prestige. It's really an amazing book, though. Experiencing this book seemed to be like experiencing the circus itself--reading all of the descriptions, the clever details; everything was very well-written. A fantastic story with an extremely enjoyable setting, characters, etc. I only wish it wasn't over (at the same time being extremely satisfied--as much as I almost wish it was a series, it's perfect as a standalone), and eagerly await Erin Morgenstern's next book. Highly recommended.
  • Jurassic Park, by Michael Crichton. Quite a fun book. I need to re-watch the movie sometime.
  • Human Chain, by Seamus Heaney. Perhaps my favorite poet after Edgar Allen Poe, Heaney really is amazing. 
  • The Raven Boys, by Maggie Stiefvater. One of my friends at school made me read this, and it was pretty good. 
  • The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor, by Robert Krikman and Jay Bonansinga. Wasn't a huge fan of the present tense, but I really enjoyed the story--good addition and background to the Walking Dead universe.
  • The Aylesford Skull, by James P. Blaylock. The first Steampunk novel I have read by one of the grandfathers of Steampunk, this was really enjoyable. I also just love the Victorian era. 
  • A Study in Scarlet, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Great first Sherlock Holmes novelette. It got a little long during the first part of the second half, but I have to commend Doyle for how much depth he put into the character, even if not necessarily all of it needed to be in the story. I also loved seeing the relationship between this story and "A Study in Pink" from the TV show Sherlock.
  • The Sign of Four, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I really liked the old TV movie version of this with Jeremy Brett, and reading it was fun. 
  • Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow. Not really my favorite book. but it wasn't bad. 
  • Devils in Exile, by Chuck Hogan. I think I preferred The Town/Prince of Thieves, but this was an enjoyable book as well. 

Edited by Velox, Jun 13 2013 - 03:53 PM.

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

#172 Offline Tenth Norik

Tenth Norik
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Defeated

• 06-November 11
  • 2,768 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 14 2013 - 12:44 AM

Angels of Darkness by Gav Thorpe. A nice quick wh40k read.Before that, Dark Tower 2 and 3 by William King. Amazing, I love the 2nd one. An before THAT, the first book of the Neverwinter Saga, Gauntlgrym. I love Drizzt but he seems different in this book. o_O

MTG Dual Colour

http://www.bzpower.c...pages/?p=547065 My BZPRPG Character Profiles

#173 Offline Timelady Gallade

Timelady Gallade
  • Members
  • Toa

• 29-August 12
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 20 2013 - 05:34 AM

Scorpia Rising.

RIP Jack.

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

#174 Offline Baltarc

Baltarc
  • Premier Member
  • FFM OTC Winner

• 06-August 10
  • 1,712 posts

Posted Jun 21 2013 - 01:35 PM

Finished Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck) and Running for my Life (Lomong). The former is brilliantly done; it delivers a powerful, engaging story full of fascinating, believable characters in just over a hundred pages. The latter is certainly worth a read as well.

Next up: Huckleberry Finn.

Posted Image

#175 Offline Scanty Demon

Scanty Demon
  • Premier Member
  • Steely Visionary

• 21-April 10
  • 360 posts

Posted Jun 22 2013 - 12:22 PM

[color=#ffff00;]"Batman The Killing Joke" by Alan Moore I think it's a good book though I don't know why Alan Moore says otherwise. "Arkham Asylum: A serious house on a serious earth" by Grant Morrison there was so much symbolism I had to look at the script notes just to see what he was talking about still enjoyable though the symbolism is very easy to miss. "The Honorable Schoolboy" by John le Carre I think my one problem is that I always feel I missed something but I just got to the second chapter so that might change and it is somewhat intriguing.[/color]

Edited by The Scanty Panty, Jun 22 2013 - 12:22 PM.

NGX30lD.png

#176 Offline Hiram McDaniels

Hiram McDaniels
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 13-April 12
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 27 2013 - 09:30 PM

The more than complete hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy- DOUGLAS ADAMS!!!!!!!

Hair back, collar up, jet black, so cool, sing it like the kids that are mean to you!

BzpRpg Profile

#177 Offline teslakana

teslakana
  • Members
  • Steely Visionary

• 01-November 07
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 30 2013 - 03:50 AM

derek landy's skulduggery pleasant: the faceless ones; it's AWSESOME!

#178 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 21-March 06
  • 2,239 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 30 2013 - 02:04 PM

My most recent read was Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It was really good, and really exemplifies that type of horror in childhood that comes from a sense of powerlessness and bewilderment.

Proud attendee of the Bionicle panel at NYCC and after-hours Lego store event! Feel free to PM me any questions about Bionicle 2015 sets or parts!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence
Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

#179 Offline Damaracx Caratas Xarian

Damaracx Caratas Xarian
  • Members
  • Emerging Defender of Mata Nui

• 08-November 11
  • 2,025 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 30 2013 - 02:26 PM

[color=#ff0000;]Heroes of Olympus:  Mark of Athena[/color]

#180 Offline Sinclair

Sinclair
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 06-April 12
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 02 2013 - 04:05 AM

I've just started Jules Verne's The Mysterious Island.

hopelessly drifting, bathing in beautiful agony

#181 Offline Dorek

Dorek
  • Members
  • Master of Fear Frenzied

• 30-January 06
  • 5,897 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 02 2013 - 10:39 AM

Finished Orson Scott Card's Earth Unaware on the plane yesterday, and I'm just finishing up World War Z.

The latter is good (haven't seen the movie, but I hear that's mostly irrelevant to the book plot), but it's losing a lot of steam at the end. Glad my roommate happened to have a copy, anyway. The Ender book was great, though could easily have not been the start of a trilogy, and just been a whole story.

Posted Image

#182 Offline SonicBOOM XS

SonicBOOM XS
  • Members
  • Bionicle Writer of the Month

• 01-July 08
  • 1,969 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 02 2013 - 04:58 PM

John Green's The Fault in Our Stars. Pretty good book, though my friends overhyped it to make it seem godly and not just a good book.

Undergoing Renovations...

#183 Offline Phantomesque

Phantomesque
  • Members
  • Conqueror of the Swarm!

• 23-March 10
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 10 2013 - 09:31 PM

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"][color=rgb(128,0,128);]Skulduggery Pleasant: Kingdom of the Wicked [/color][/font]

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"][color=rgb(128,0,128);]by: Derek Landy[/color][/font]

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"][color=rgb(128,0,128);]Oh god that epilogue.[/color][/font]

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"][color=rgb(128,0,128);]why[/color][/font]

EH5Tbhq.png

#184 Offline man774

man774
  • Members
  • Toa

• 26-August 10
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 10 2013 - 10:45 PM

1984. Interesting fact, the graphics of obey shirts came from the film adaption of 1984.

2147465

#185 Offline Space: Ocean of Awe

Space: Ocean of Awe
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 12-January 11
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 16 2013 - 04:29 PM

[font="'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;"][color=#0000cd;]Just at the end of Three Men in a Boat. An enjoyable read for sure. I also happen to be reading somewhere around five or six other books. And I wonder why it takes so long to finish a book.[/color][/font]

[font="'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;"][color=#0000cd;]=)[/color][/font]

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

#186 Offline Baltarc

Baltarc
  • Premier Member
  • FFM OTC Winner

• 06-August 10
  • 1,712 posts

Posted Jul 21 2013 - 06:13 PM

Finished The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. It was assigned for summer reading, but that didn't stop it from being one of the greatest books I've ever read. Now if only I didn't have to go back and write a bunch of journal entries about it...

I'll probably read A Monster Calls or A Game of Thrones next.

Posted Image

#187 Offline Toa of Geek

Toa of Geek
  • Members
  • Toa

• 13-June 12
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 21 2013 - 08:02 PM

Last book I finished was Eragon, in the middle of Eldest now.

I really need a better signiature.

#188 Offline SarracenianKaijin

SarracenianKaijin
  • Members
  • Toa

• 21-July 13
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 22 2013 - 03:32 AM

Moebius' Arzak, if graphic novels count. I like it, has great artwork and an interesting world.

If not that then Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert. Haven't rea too far into it yet, but so far so good.

hereheis.gif

--------------

Reach Heaven by Violence.

And while you are at it, see Bionicle characters as Magical Girls.

#189 Offline Zeddy

Zeddy
  • Premier Member
  • Senior Staff

• 11-September 06
  • 13,187 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Jul 22 2013 - 07:12 AM

A Dance with Dragons. Now I can safely browse the internet without being spoiled!

#190 Offline Velox

Velox
  • Premier Member
  • Bibliophilic Littérateur & Senior Staff

• 20-September 07
  • 11,831 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Jul 22 2013 - 02:23 PM

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"][color=#000080;]Since my last post I've read the full trilogy of the Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien, as well as American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. Not that it wasn't already a known fact, but these books really do just prove the genius of Tolkien. And definitely better than the movies, too (which is saying a lot, as the movies are some of my all-time favorites--I re-watched the extended trilogy after finishing the books)--the best examples of that are the Ents, the confrontation of Gandalf and the Witch King, and the Scouring of the Shire. For the former, those were actually some of my favorite chapters of the whole trilogy, whereas in the movie those scenes were probably some of my least favorite. As for Gandalf/Witch King, that was most likely the greatest scene in the entire trilogy. The last couple pages of "The Siege of Gondor" were simply amazing and super cool and awesome. In the movies, it gets an extremely short scene exclusive to the extended edition. I never thought that scene was bad, but after having read the original in the book...yeah, Jackson kind of failed that one. And the "Scouring of the Shire" chapter was a really awesome addition in the book. [/color][/font]

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"][color=#000080;]Oh, and I also kind of hate the ending of LOTR. =P Not by any fault of Tolkien (or Jackson, for the movies), but simply because of that nostalgic, "what now" feeling. And I just hate that feeling. It's really very realistic, though--what would you do after that? How can you go back to just a normal life? Tolkien did an amazing job with it (and I think it was better because there was the Scouring of the Shire), but I think Jackson did it fairly well, too--the bar scene, specifically, and how they're just kind of there, separate from everyone else. Anyway, just a very realistic ending but not quite my favorite feeling. =P [/color][/font][color=rgb(0,0,128);font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;]All in all, amazing books and the movies are great adaptations. [/color]

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"][color=#000080;]American Gods was also really good--I've been a big fan of Mythology since taking Latin during high school (where we also studied some Greek/Roman Mythology), and all those elements in the book made it really enjoyable. [/color][/font]

Edited by Velox, Jul 22 2013 - 02:31 PM.

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

#191 Offline The First Speaker

The First Speaker
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 29-December 08
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 23 2013 - 01:17 PM

The last book I read was Nada by Laforet, for school. It makes a really interesting picture of postwar Barcelona, a hopless, broken, gray world which translates in broken, hopless and miserable characters. Right now I'm also reading The Short Timers by G. Hasford. So far, I'm enjoying how the brutality of war is protrayed, and the effect that it has on the soldiers.

le-koro_banner.jpg

#192 Offline Shadow Kurahk

Shadow Kurahk
  • Premier Member
  • Lehvak-Kal Attacks!

• 24-June 06
  • 3,658 posts

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 04:34 AM

Last one was A Clash of Kings, currently on A Storm of Swords. Gonna finish up GoT and go for some Palahniuk, starting with Rant.

#193 Offline Eeko

Eeko
  • Premier Member

• 31-August 08
  • 4,288 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 08:49 PM

[color=#991111;]I believe the last thing I finished reading was A Dance With Dragons.[/color]

jlovfkk.jpg

#194 Offline Ghost of Romance

Ghost of Romance
  • Premier Member

• 21-July 06
  • 1,031 posts

Posted Jul 27 2013 - 11:52 AM

Finished Amnesia Moon by Jonathan Lethem. Considering Gun, With Occasional Music is one of my favourite books, it took me a while to check his other work out, but I'm glad I finally did.

A very engaging and intriguing book, with the right amount of humour and a great post-apocalyptic setting and characters. Loved how you can never be quite sure what exactly is real or who's telling the truth, and whether you can actually trust the protagonist's memories.

___

boris_noise_2.jpg

___

_

#195 Offline Jinkmeister

Jinkmeister
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 19-December 05
  • 919 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 30 2013 - 09:11 AM

The last book I finished was Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis de Montfort. I'm about to pick up either Ray Bradbury's short story collection, or Arthur C. Clarke's Rendevous With Rama. Or possibly Isaac Asimov's Pebble in the Sky.

#196 Offline Baltarc

Baltarc
  • Premier Member
  • FFM OTC Winner

• 06-August 10
  • 1,712 posts

Posted Aug 06 2013 - 08:01 PM

X:15 - An Ambage Anthology. There's a lot of really good stories in there. Certain bits aren't quite as polished as others, but it's definitely worth a read.

constellations is better

Posted Image

#197 Offline Radagast367

Radagast367
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 24-June 13
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 07 2013 - 03:09 AM

Moving pictures, by Terry Pratchett. I'm trying to read all of the discworld books, I'm about half way through :D It was very good. I also just started The return of the king, for the second time, by J.R.R tolkein.

Edited by Radagast367, Aug 07 2013 - 03:15 AM.

If you think that godzilla is NOT awesome, you're either crazy,

or one of the many people who got trodden on while he was saving the world.

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

#198 Offline Dapper-Sama

Dapper-Sama
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 03-December 12
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 08 2013 - 01:19 PM

The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman. Not for the kids, despite it's premise(A young boy lives in a graveyard, raised by ghosts). A brilliant novel, with loads upon loads on meticulous detail.

Morally unambiguous.

#199 Offline Mr. Coffee

Mr. Coffee
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 09-December 11
  • 246 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 08 2013 - 02:39 PM

Dragons of Autumn Twilight. Fell in love with it, now reading the rest of Dragonlance. I have enough books for the rest of the year :D

=== COFFEE GUZZLER ===

BZPRPG profiles
-Chronicles of Tara-
Ascension

#200 Offline SkyLandOceAnna

SkyLandOceAnna
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 13-October 12
  • 0 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 08 2013 - 07:44 PM